THE ULTIMATE BASE -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE ULTIMATE BASE -- What Do *You* Want To See?

At least one write-up of a skyscraper/office building and example maps of the important floors.

To add on to this line of thinking. Utilities in a modern building or base. Map or no map, a discussion of air systems, electrical systems, water supplies, elevator equipment, emergency devices and equipment (standing pipes for in buildings) and so on. Not overkill, but just how big is an airduct? What kinds of fans are in ducts? Just how much room is there on top of an elevator when it is all the way at the top?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this is beyond my means right now. I've actually started work on something like this' date=' years ago -- I wanted to update my "Harpcor Towers" adventure from the original [i']Dark Champions[/i] as part of a book I had in mind called Dark Champions Battlegrounds. That eventually fell by the wayside. While I still want to redo the adventure sometime, it's waaaay too much work for UBA. I've already done a lot of research on how skyscrapers work (and learned some fascinating things). But there's more to do, and hours and hours of mapping I'd have to do to create roughs for John Lees to work from -- because believe me when I say the revised Harpcor Towers is going to be detailed. The map I did of the first floor includes every table, every desk, every filing cabinet, every planter, you name it. And other levels will be similar. ;)

The other impediment here is cost. One reason I dropped the idea years ago is that by my rough calculation the maps alone would cost two to three times the printing cost of the book. Obviously that's not something we can really tackle right now. Perhaps I can work something out with John Lees later and we'll bombard you with a new Harpcor Towers, but for now it's going to remain just a fevered gleam in my eyes. :bmk:;)

gurgle... gurgle... drool..... drool......

sigh.... ;)

The government keeps putting me on "watch lists" when I start researching things like this. What's worse' date=' federal law requires [i']me[/i] to supply coffee to the FBI agents parked outside my house! :eek:

And they always want extra creme and sugar. I hear ya. :D

A longer discussion on Labs - I've honestly never been satisfied with the idea that Labs are Skill Rolls; especially for Characters who already have the Skill. I'd like a look at making Labs Skill Levels instead. Or how/when to build them either way.

A little more detail for both labs and workshops would be nice. Maybe some alternative ways of handling them.

Another thing to point out for the rules: Multiform. Bases don't typically Transform into different kinds of bases (though I'm sure it could happen); I'm thinking of the couple of characters among the Transformers who were robots in one form a cities or buildings in another. A "mobile" base could also Multiform into a Vehicle.

I'm also wondering how one would model the transportable modular base used in the later Phule's Company books. Most GMs would just handwave it (especially since, in the novels, the company's been in one place for three or four books and doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon), but some mechanic to allow a Base to be picked up and moved to a different spot might be nice.

Another thing to point out for the rules: Multiform. Bases don't typically Transform into different kinds of bases (though I'm sure it could happen); I'm thinking of the couple of characters among the Transformers who were robots in one form a cities or buildings in another. A "mobile" base could also Multiform into a Vehicle.

I'm also wondering how one would model the transportable modular base used in the later Phule's Company books. Most GMs would just handwave it (especially since, in the novels, the company's been in one place for three or four books and doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon), but some mechanic to allow a Base to be picked up and moved to a different spot might be nice.

Marcross/Robotech: The ship was a city and a base and could transform!

Great catch :thumbup:

1. How to do Secret/Concealed doors/rooms in a Secret/Concealed base?

2. Can a Base have Movement? Like the bad guy's castle from the movie Krull?

3. Can a Base be Part-Time (like Shangri-La? I.e., it is "there" or accessible only at certain times?)

4. Area 51?

5. Danger Rooms and/or Holodecks.

6. Crew, and what happens to the base when at less than full Crew?

7. Can a base in the air or space have Grounds?

8. Using a Concealed Base Build to create many, small (like 1-2 hex) Weapon Stashes spread across an area/city?

9. Includes a Maze/Labyrinth ala the Minotaur or The Tombs Of Atuan?
    • And possibly can reconfigure the maze (Shape Shift?)

A GM advice section for window dressing.

What I mean is the feel. Looking at various bases in film, TV and animation. A base in a modern drama has an entirely different feel from a Federation Starbase in TNG. These differences are not brought out by the numbers.

How about a section in chapters 6 or 7 called "Beyond the Numbers" that give advice to the GM on how to set tone, feel or atmosphere when running a base?

Just a thought....

A GM advice section for window dressing.

What I mean is the feel. Looking at various bases in film, TV and animation. A base in a modern drama has an entirely different feel from a Federation Starbase in TNG. These differences are not brought out by the numbers.

How about a section in chapters 6 or 7 called "Beyond the Numbers" that give advice to the GM on how to set tone, feel or atmosphere when running a base?

Just a thought....

A very good one, too, I think. It'd be just the kind of thing for Chapter Six.

Other stuff in Chapter Six can include using the base as a setting for a combat, coordinating with your base computer against invaders, the invaders turning the base computer against its occupants, and making repairs to the base afterward.

A very good one, too, I think. It'd be just the kind of thing for Chapter Six.

Other stuff in Chapter Six can include using the base as a setting for a combat, coordinating with your base computer against invaders, the invaders turning the base computer against its occupants, and making repairs to the base afterward.

Good one. And an area that can give GM's a lot of problems if they haven't run into it before.

How about a sample superhero base, and then the same base modified after the heros have donated several points for base expansion?

Is ther going to be a "Mastermnind Option" Circa old school champions?

Are Agents (followers) rules included?

Several example bases, including but not limited to

• The lab in the secret closet in the Manhattan Apartment
  • The cave with a full auto shop and submarine pen
  • The hidden government research facility that dwarfs Cheynne Mountain
  • Geosyncronus space station

Is ther going to be a "Mastermnind Option" Circa old school champions?

No. I don't see the need for any such thing. You just give the villains whatever they need. Points are mostly for keeping players under control. ;)

Are Agents (followers) rules included?

No; that's not really within the coverage of this book.

It has been mentioned previously in this thread but I want to add my vote as well. I want to see an updated version of the old Danger Room rules. The version from the long OOP Champions III was wonderful and we still use it to this day. I would love to see an updated version of this classic. It is definitely my number one wish for this book.

I also would like to see more discussion of Labs for bases. Rules (or guidelines) about how many hexes space a lab occupies. What is and is not possible with a base. Is a Deduction Lab possible? If so how would it work. That sort of thing.

This is already covered in The Ultimate Skill for the most part. It might merit reprinting in UBA.

While the stuff in Ult. Skill is very cool - I personally didn't think it went far enough in discussing the idea behind Labs.

I'd like to see alternate ways of building them, and how different types of Labs might work (like a lab built as a Skill vs a Skill Level).

I also would like to see more discussion of Labs for bases. Rules (or guidelines) about how many hexes space a lab occupies. What is and is not possible with a base. Is a Deduction Lab possible? If so how would it work. That sort of thing.
This is already covered in The Ultimate Skill for the most part. It might merit reprinting in UBA.
While the stuff in Ult. Skill is very cool - I personally didn't think it went far enough in discussing the idea behind Labs.

I'd like to see alternate ways of building them, and how different types of Labs might work (like a lab built as a Skill vs a Skill Level).

I tend to agree with the general tone here. Cull out the appropriate stuff from TUSk (and I think a little attention was given to the topic in TUV... yes, pp 165-166), and expand on it as regards Bases (and, by implication, large Vehicles) specifically.

As a side note, you might also include a note on the difference between a base and a Base, just as TUV noted the difference between a vehicle and a Vehicle, and TUB between strength and Strength.

I'd like a good breakdown of security measures. How do you build a museum's invisible laser detection grid? How would one defeat it? How would you build a series of deathtraps in a pyramid?

Can a base be Megascaled?

How can I build a "city in a bottle?"

I'd like a good breakdown of security measures. How do you build a museum's invisible laser detection grid? How would one defeat it? How would you build a series of deathtraps in a pyramid?

See The Ultimate Skill. ;) It's got 24 pages on that subject. I'm not reprinting that much information in another book, sorry. ;)

See The Ultimate Skill. ;) It's got 24 pages on that subject. I'm not reprinting that much information in another book' date=' sorry. ;)[/quote']

It would seem reasonable to make reference to the extensive material in The Ultimate Skill, however. Where the issues are relevant, I think the books should cross reference one another. [it's not a bad marketing approach either, but it becomes more than just a sales pitch when it cross references valuable information.]

See The Ultimate Skill. ;) It's got 24 pages on that subject. I'm not reprinting that much information in another book' date=' sorry. ;)[/quote']
It would seem reasonable to make reference to the extensive material in The Ultimate Skill' date=' however. Where the issues are relevant, I think the books should cross reference one another. [it's not a bad marketing approach either, but it becomes more than just a sales pitch when it cross references valuable information.']
I agree here. Put in some of the most useful information (two or three pages at most, or maybe just a tad more), and then refer the reader to TUSk for more.

I agree here. Put in some of the most useful information (two or three pages at most' date=' or maybe just a tad more), and then refer the reader to TUSk for more.[/quote']

That would be good. A basic covering of a point/topic, but referring to another book for greater detail would be fine. I just don't want to see there be no info given except what page to look in the other book. That would remind me too much of the massive & complex X-Titles crossovers that made me stop reading comic books.

What you'd want is the information about skills and laboratories that is relevant to designing' date=' buying and using bases, rather than the information relevant to designing, buying and using skills...[/quote']

Simple and to the point.

What he said :thumbup: