Mountains of Madness?!?

Basil

Re: Mountains of Madness?!?

Thank you SC. Yes, I refer to the ... four boot? Five boot? The latest variant who has such things.

Anyway, even if this is the back end of the world spanning worm, the final lair of Cthulhu's minions or the doorway to abother world we know that all we need, (apart from a stoic resolve and great hair) are our own two fists, a basic knowledge of mechanics or chemistry and a Thompson submachine gun with unlimited ammo.

Stop fretting, fire up the transport and lets get going!

Seems there's a range of mountains in Antarctica, buried under the ice, that have scientists scratching their heads. :think:

They aren't eroded as much as they should be, they weren't formed by colliding tectonic plates, nor by volcanism. They just should be the way they are, at all.

Full info here.

Cthulhu, anyone?

Isn't there some argument that Antarctica was once nailed by a truly gigantic meteorite early in the planet's history? Maybe this is the blast crater from that hit.

Or is it supposed to be that there's a supervolcano under the ice? One story or the other, I know I've read it...

I need all that? But I'm a Thompson wielding two fisted adventurer... The manual says nothing about Elder Signs. Can we get a Librarian please?
The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Flynn (Noah Wylie): "I can't do this alone."

Judson (Bob Newhart): "You've got me, you know."

Flynn: "Well, no offense, Judson, but you're--"

(Judson grabs a passing guard and rams him against the wall, knocking him out.)

Flynn: "--a bad mother!"

What worries me most is if these really are just mountains and our geologists have got the math wrong when stating that they shouldn't exist.

I'd be miffed about that.

Considering they're buried under Antarctic ice, you probably have at least a few years to imagine the worst (or best) before scientific inquiry destroys your dreams. ;)

Not like those of us who grew up wanting to explore Mars for the naked alien princesses. :(

.........imagine the worst (or best) before scientific inquiry destroys your dreams. ;)

Not like those of us who grew up wanting to explore Mars for the naked alien princesses. :(

What are you saying? You mean there aren't nekked princesses on Mars! :eek:

gasp..... there goes my heart.... cough cough gasp....

What Liaden didn't mention is that the nekkid princess USED to be on the surface of mars. Now they're all living underground in secret cities deep towards the core. Pretty much like the nekkid princesses living in the Inner Earth.

Well known fact, nekkid princesses are pretty much everywhere. A bit like lost cities.

What are you saying? You mean there aren't nekked princesses on Mars! :eek:

gasp..... there goes my heart.... cough cough gasp....

Well, keep in mind that Barsoom is the Dreamland Mars. The best way to get there is by Cat Express from Ulthar. :D

Midas

(And Dream Mercury is inhabited by horned men stuck in a time loop!)

You wouldn't belive the quantity of nekked princesses there are and how many of them are held in captivity by evil warlords, psychotic monks, insane scientists... I tell you, the list goes a long way.

I sometimes wonder if we've not got it all wrong and the term for an unmarried girl is 'Princess' and not 'Miss'. Probably the authors just used artistic license. After all naming a book "A Miss of Mars" may not be quite the eye grabber that "A Princess of Mars" is.

Professor Challenger has a cell phone??? :jawdrop:

Not any more. A dinosaur stepped on it. (Saturday afternoon serial from a couple of years back. Time travelers from the present left one behind. The Challenger expedition didn't know what that strange noise was. ;) )

However, Maple White Land is in the interior of South America. I doubt that Challenger's Plateau is either Leng or Kadath. :celebrate

Midas