Not enraged, just loves a good fight?

Great Beyond

So in reading the description for enraged and berserk, it's all about something honking you off and making you start swinging blindly at whatever poor sunvabitch that happens to be nearby. That's not what I'm after at all. I was thinking of someone who just loves a good rumble and gets caught up in the moment.

Think of it like potato chips - you're not angry at the chips, but you go "I'll eat just one" and next thing you know you're at the crumbs in the bottom of the bag and you've eaten the whole thing. Whoops.

So - how would you do that?

Re: Not enraged, just loves a good fight?

One thing that works well is just giving your GM the little blurb you gave us, then summing it up on the character sheet in a short phrase

Psych Lim: "Gets Caught Up in the Moment" seems to describe it just fine.

Alternatively:

Psych Lim: "Loves to Let Loose" works too.

You can use the basic mechanic behind Enraged for whatever you want: a condition that causes a character's options to narrow until they can regain control; chance to lose and regain control are defined as 3d6 roll unders.

Just define the condition and the effect on their options, call it whatever, and there you go.

So in reading the description for enraged and berserk, it's all about something honking you off and making you start swinging blindly at whatever poor sunvabitch that happens to be nearby. That's not what I'm after at all. I was thinking of someone who just loves a good rumble and gets caught up in the moment.

Think of it like potato chips - you're not angry at the chips, but you go "I'll eat just one" and next thing you know you're at the crumbs in the bottom of the bag and you've eaten the whole thing. Whoops.

Psych Lim: Loves to Fight.

Psychological Limitation: Likes/Loves to Fight (Com, strong or higher)

May also have overconfident or reckless if the odds, tactical situation, etc don't matter at all to them

Psych Lim: Loves to Fight.

That.

Psychological Limitation: Likes/Loves to Fight (Com, strong or higher)

May also have overconfident or reckless if the odds, tactical situation, etc don't matter at all to them

Yep. definitely a psych limit.

Both character I use a lot in WWYCDs are a bit "fight-happy".

Depending on what you like about fighting. The psych lim could be "Like to Fight" or possibly "Bloodlust" (if you like the fact that you make the other guy bleed, though this may be less heroic than a pure "loves to fight" guy)

You can use the basic mechanic behind Enraged for whatever you want: a condition that causes a character's options to narrow until they can regain control; chance to lose and regain control are defined as 3d6 roll unders.

Just define the condition and the effect on their options, call it whatever, and there you go.

This. I saw a cool build awhile ago using Enraged to simulate a character that wouldn't run from combat while his teammates were in battle. He called it "last man standing" or some such but described it as Enraged while Teammates are in Battle. 5ER also states that Enraged can also be used to describe things other than anger, such as conditioned reflexes.

Catastrophic Irrational Attraction to Scrapping
Sorry' date=' but for an instant I read that as "Catastrophic Irrational Attraction to Scrappy."

But yeah, instead of concentrating on the SFX "Loves to fight", ask yourself what the game effect is, and go with that. If the character's love of battle makes it difficult (if not impossible) for them to break off from combat so long as there are opponents to fight, that's probably an enraged. If they love fighting so much that they'll start a fight simply for that reason (like Khelgar Ironfist from Neverwinter Nights 2) then it's a psych lim, and there's nothing saying you can't take both, at which your chances of breaking out of the enraged should proably be taken fairly low.

Remember that in HERO we must always ask ourselves two questions. What's the Special Effect, and what Game Effect best reflects that?