new mutants; Magik's "soulsword"

mwiggins

I recently read a graphic novel at the library "New X-Men: childhoods end". Basicly it's about the newest (?) version of the new mutants that are now being moved up to the big leagues. They had a run in with a demon wizard fror limbo. and to make a long story short a girl named Pixie had part of her soul made into a soulsword like Magik had (realy more of a dagger but the same powers)

So how would I make the soulsword?

Copied from http://www.marvel.com/universe/Magik_%28Illyana_Rasputin%29#

Weapons

Magik wielded the Soulsword, the ultimate expression of her mystical power, to disrupt magical spells and injure or kill supernatural beings, though it had no physical effect on a non-supernatural creature, passing right through such a creature as if it were intangible.

what is the limitation worth for HKA with "hurts magic creatures only"?

is it a multipower? or just put a HKA with dispel magic linked?

Can I later make it a store for more VPP points to combine with her personal magic pool for bigger effects? and/or a END reserve?

focus or physical manifestation?

Thanks for the help :)

Re: new mutants; Magik's "soulsword"

Magik Sword: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (2d6 w/STR), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), No Normal Defense (Not being Mystical in nature; +1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1)

Dispel 13d6, Any spell one at a time (+1/4) (49 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)

I recently read a graphic novel at the library "New X-Men: childhoods end". Basicly it's about the newest (?) version of the new mutants that are now being moved up to the big leagues. They had a run in with a demon wizard fror limbo. and to make a long story short a girl named Pixie had part of her soul made into a soulsword like Magik had (realy more of a dagger but the same powers)

So how would I make the soulsword?

Copied from http://www.marvel.com/universe/Magik_%28Illyana_Rasputin%29#

what is the limitation worth for HKA with "hurts magic creatures only"?

Seems like a question for the figurative "GM" as it depends on how common magical creatures will be.

Can I later make it a store for more VPP points to combine with her personal magic pool for bigger effects? and/or a END reserve?

Sure you could rewrite the power with experience later in just about anyway the GM accepts.

focus or physical manifestation?

Can it be taken away from her or destroyed in or out of combat or if she loses it (is disarmed for example) can she just create a new one barring a plot device. From what I've seen of the character (Not much) I'd lean towards calling it a Physical Manifestation instead of Focus.

Can it be taken away from her or destroyed in or out of combat or if she loses it (is disarmed for example) can she just create a new one barring a plot device. From what I've seen of the character (Not much) I'd lean towards calling it a Physical Manifestation instead of Focus.

I recall it surviving her death. If you say you have put you soul into something, I don't think it can be replaced that easily. I would say indestructable, universal, independent OAF.

I recall it surviving her death. If you say you have put you soul into something' date=' I don't think it can be replaced that easily. I would say indestructable, universal, [i']independent[/i] OAF.

As I said, I don't know the character that well but "Putting her soul into it" is more of a special effect that could mean different things and surviving her death a plot device so all I can comment on is how I recall it performing in the comics I've seen it used where it seemed much like Thor's Hammer in that it looked like a focus but in Hero terms wasn't. I'm generally pretty reluctant to put Independent in Superheroic items because it what it entails about their function mechanically (and to some extent narratively). But it is definitely open to interpretation and opinion, most foci are, IMO and its slightly worse because different writers often handle things in different ways.

Originally it couldn't be taken from Ilyana by anyone except Kitty Pryde.

That aspect has changed over time and its more or less a conventional Focus now, one that has had many different wielders since Ilyana's death...

According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magik_(comics)

Soulsword

Magik's Soulsword disrupts magic energies, constructs and creatures. It also augments the power level of any magic user who holds it. The Soulsword generally has no physical effect whatsoever, but disrupts even the most powerful magic as it passes through. It can shatter enchantments and destroy mystical creations and creatures.

While it can kill magic creatures, such as demons, upon contact, it cannot physically injure non-magical persons. The only exception to this has been Kitty Pryde, who can still be cut by the Soulsword even when Pryde is using her phasing power to become intangible. Pryde is also one of the few people other than Magik who can wield the Soulsword effectively. When Pryde does so, Magik's armor begins to appear on Pryde's body. Moreover, when the Beyonder once freed Illyana from the influence of her darksoul, Pryde gained the ability to produce and wield the Soulsword. Illyana later took the darksoul influence back into herself in order that she could again wield the Soulsword to save Pryde's life from a demon. The Soulsword has also freed people from psychic control (such as the Shadow King-possessed Karma and Cypher[issue # needed]). Illyana can make her Soulsword appear and vanish at will.

As Magik, she was an excellent swordwoman, and a good hand-to-hand combatant who received training in unarmed combat from Cat and at Xavier's school.

I've never read the comic but based on the available online info...

I would say the 'sword' is at its core a Dispel possibly with the Cumulative Advantage. A lesser ability would be a minor Aid to all 'magical' abilities. Everything else (it's ability to 'damage' magical creatures and to a lesser extent Kitty Pryde) seems more like a common Disadvantage of those affected (Similar to the idea of building 'undead' with a Vulnerability to PRE attacks from 'Holy Men'). For overall framing I would probably go with the OIF Limiitation with a Naked Usable By Other Advantage without the OIF Limitation to represent her ability to 'transfer' the power to Kitty for a sem-permanent basis.

I loved the new mutants series (only missing a couple issues)

But the marvel link is pretty much what happend.

I'm going to go with a HKA with only againt supernatural -1 (I'm the GM) OAF, Penitrating since it was able to badly hurt magic creatures, then link a dispel magic with the cumulative advantage. At least I think that's what I came up with, I don't have my notes with me.

affects desolid will have to wait, I need some points for her basic magic vpp

While I'm here: I've read and reread the penitrating paragraph(s) and I still don't get it. :help:!

I loved the new mutants series (only missing a couple issues)

But the marvel link is pretty much what happend.

I'm going to go with a HKA with only againt supernatural -1 (I'm the GM) OAF, Penitrating since it was able to badly hurt magic creatures, then link a dispel magic with the cumulative advantage. At least I think that's what I came up with, I don't have my notes with me.

affects desolid will have to wait, I need some points for her basic magic vpp

While I'm here: I've read and reread the penitrating paragraph(s) and I still don't get it. :help:!

Basicly for a KA, count the "Body" and that goes past defences unless they are Hardened

So for example HKA 3D6 , roll 1,6,5 3 body will get through even if it would normally bounce. (As I do it anyway...;) )

page 266 ■ Character Creation: Power Modifiers

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

PENETRATING

Value: +½

A power with this Advantage automatically does some damage, no matter how strong the target’s defenses are.

To use Penetrating, the character rolls his damage dice normally and applies them against the target’s defenses. But no matter how high those defenses, the target takes a minimum of 1 point of effect for every 1 “Normal Damage BODY” rolled on the dice or the damage he’d take from the attack after applying his defenses, whichever is greater. (At the GM’s option, the target may take a minimum of 1 point of effect for every Damage Class in the Penetrating power.) In other words, the target takes no points of effect from each 1; he takes a minimum of 1 point of effect from each 2, 3, 4, and 5, and 2 points of effect from each 6. If the Standard Effect Rule has been applied to the power, a Penetrating attack does 1 Penetrating BODY damage per die.

Characters can apply Penetrating to the STUN of Normal Damage attacks, the BODY of Killing Attacks, the points lost due to a Drain, or any other effect that applies the total of the dice against a target’s defenses. They may not use Penetrating with the BODY of Normal Damage attacks, Flash Attacks, or any other attack that applies the “Normal Damage BODY” of the attack against a target’s defenses without the GM’s express permission. It also may not be used with NNDs.

With Killing Attacks, the presumption is that Penetrating applies to the BODY damage, but a character can apply it to the STUN instead. A 1- point Killing Attack does 1 BODY Penetrating; a half die of Killing Attack does 1 BODY if it rolls a 4, 5, or 6 (minimum of 1 point); a Killing Attack that adds +1 to the dice rolled doesn’t get any extra benefit if it’s Penetrating.

Targets with Hardened defenses ignore the effect of Penetrating (though they still suffer the normal damage or effect from the power); characters with Damage Reduction cannot reduce the minimum effect (see page 143). Characters can buy Penetrating multiple times, but only to counteract multiple levels of Hardened. See Hardened, page 115, for rules regarding the application of Hardened defenses to a power which is both Armor Piercing and Penetrating.

For all the talk of Illyana's soulsword being "the ultimate expression of her mystic power," I don't recall seeing it being used to enhance her other magic abilities. There was maybe one occasion where she used it as a focus for dispelling some wide-scope effects S'ym had inflicted on limbo, but since she was left more or less powerless by maintaining that effect I assume that was actually her fairly sizable VPP at work.

For all the talk of Illyana's soulsword being "the ultimate expression of her mystic power' date='" I don't recall seeing it being used to enhance her other magic abilities. There was maybe one occasion where she used it as a focus for dispelling some wide-scope effects S'ym had inflicted on limbo, but since she was left more or less powerless by maintaining that effect I assume that was actually her fairly sizable VPP at work.[/quote']

most of her magic didn't work on earth at all.:doi: kinda a waste of time to learn IMO.

Ok, I've got her done, except for making spells, I'm going to try to paste the file.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work

Here is a link to an old thread that has a board friendly HD export format you might want to try:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/show...4&postcount=14

Once you have saved it open your character and choose "Preview" in HD and choose this new format. It should open a text file. Copy the entire contents into a NEW forum post and then click the 'Preview Post' button to see it formated correctly. You may need to do some minor editing afterwards.

:cool:

HM

most of her magic didn't work on earth at all.:doi: kinda a waste of time to learn IMO.

That was just handwavium to make sure she didn't overshadow the rest of the New Mutants. She was the Sorceress Supreme of Limbo after all, theoretically she was on Dr. Strange's level.