Lingering Teleport

hammersickle59

Teleportation, Lingering (5 minutes), Gestures, Incantations, Extra time (delayed phase).

I'm trying to create a spell in which I cast it and now I can Teleport for the next 5 minutes. The above outline does that. The problem I'm having is that I want it to take a zero phase action to teleport, not a half or full. How would you guys go about doing this? Trigger?

Teleport is a movement power so I assume it takes the usual "half phase" to move up to half your hex's and a "full phase" to move up to your max. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dean

Re: Lingering Teleport

yes it does indeed take actions/phases to move, regardless of movement type.

What you are effectively doing is buying extra speed, extra actions in combat. its no different than saying i want my attacks to not take actions. By not spending actions on movement you gain more opportunities to attack, or at least more opportunities to do other things, since attacks end a phase.

add to the lingering teleport a speed boost with the speed limited to "teleoprt only" but also be prepared for spending end during those extra phases.

Well....buying limited speed (as in having more phases) isn't the same as an action taking no time. Mechanically it woudn't work in my case. For example. I want to be able to teleport my max hexes (20) as a zero phase and then attack. I cant do that with increased limited speed.

I should probably use a trigger on teleport to have it take no time.

Dean

Well....buying limited speed (as in having more phases) isn't the same as an action taking no time. Mechanically it woudn't work in my case. For example. I want to be able to teleport my max hexes (20) as a zero phase and then attack. I cant do that with increased limited speed.

Dean

If that's what you're looking for... the closest you'll probably get is something like:

20" Teleport (etc.)

+20" Teleport, Only For Half Moves (etc.)

That'll let you do effectively your full Teleport movement in a half-phase and then attack. There isn't any way to be able to do your full movement in a zero-Phase action.

Edit: All Trigger would do would be to activate your Teleport (Lingering, 5 minutes, etc.) and let it hang around for 5 minutes. You'd still need to use Phases on movement.

Dean

as gm i wouldn't allow a trigger to remove the time requirement for movement.

the net effect is "more actions in a turn" which is why i default to counting it as bonus speed. is there a real solid sfx difference between "i move 20" and attack with my rka" if the move 20" occurs on 4 and the attack on 6 instead of both happening on 6?

were a gm to want to allow the thing as a bonus to teleport, i would look at starting at +1 the modifier for instant change for vpp. same basic idea "change "do this using an action" to "do this and have an action free""

It's also a matter of paying for what you're doing; I agree with my peers' date=' here, this is a question of paying for the power as it is. Movement is always, at minimum, a half phase. That's a game balance issue, IMNSHO.[/quote']

I second that sentiment. So what is the need for it to be a zero phase action? Is the goal to be able to move while also preforming a Full phase attack (or what ever have you)? If so it seems like editing the attack (or again what have you) to no longer be a full phase action is the easier way and also allows for a better chance to balance. Because from the sound of this, I am picturing a PC with a power that he tacked on "requires full phase" now trying to circumvent that very limitation so that he can still move. Now if the question is just about trying to get a large movement, I would suggest going with the increased movement power with the limitation that it is only to be taken into account when calculating 'half move' actions.

La Rose

There wasn't any specific action I was trying to perform with the teleport. I was trying to create a zero phase teleport for "feel" reasons. I've gamed in Rolemaster for a long time and I dont like the feel of a teleport taking more time simply because you want to go farther; but I was probably going about solving that in the wrong way.

How much would that lim be worth? (+20" only for half moves). My guess is -1/4

Dean

There wasn't any specific action I was trying to perform with the teleport. I was trying to create a zero phase teleport for "feel" reasons. I've gamed in Rolemaster for a long time and I dont like the feel of a teleport taking more time simply because you want to go farther; but I was probably going about solving that in the wrong way.

Dean

I might say something more akin to 1/2. It is only useful in a combat situation (that is only 1/2 the game) and then only useful to half the effect of the normal move in a combat situation (Half effect of normal build). That is two marks against it and I think that is worth 1/2. If I was GM I might be persuaded to make it 3/4 lim, depending on how drunk you got me :D. Moral of the story: Get your GM loaded with booze then get character approval! But if I didn't think it was something that could become unbalancing in my specific game, compared to the other PCs, I would allow a -3/4 lim.

La Rose

I've generally used -1/2.

what you do is use summon to have a little demon(or something your choice) at your beck and call for 5 minutes

he sits on your shoulder until you have him t-port you somewhere or 5 mins goes by

you have the limitation that once summoned he will only stay for 5 minutes

the t-port uses the summoned's phase not yours you can even have a waited move

Teleportation, Lingering (5 minutes), Gestures, Incantations, Extra time (delayed phase).

I'm trying to create a spell in which I cast it and now I can Teleport for the next 5 minutes. The above outline does that. The problem I'm having is that I want it to take a zero phase action to teleport, not a half or full. How would you guys go about doing this? Trigger?

Teleport is a movement power so I assume it takes the usual "half phase" to move up to half your hex's and a "full phase" to move up to your max. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dean

what you do is use summon to have a little demon(or something your choice) at your beck and call for 5 minutes

he sits on your shoulder until you have him t-port you somewhere or 5 mins goes by

you have the limitation that once summoned he will only stay for 5 minutes

the t-port uses the summoned's phase not yours you can even have a waited move

Wow, that is quite the inventive way around the problem :thumbup:. And since the little devil is only going to be there for one purpose only. You could probably build a power like that for only 5-10 pts, depending on a few small character builds.

La Rose

Wow, that is quite the inventive way around the problem :thumbup:. And since the little devil is only going to be there for one purpose only. You could probably build a power like that for only 5-10 pts, depending on a few small character builds.

La Rose

Another even more complicated method would be to build a Limited Duplication construct similar to what Killer Shrike did with Blackjack and his Luck Form.

Far more complex and expensive but less limited in it's application.

Another even more complicated method would be to build a Limited Duplication construct similar to what Killer Shrike did with Blackjack and his Luck Form.

Far more complex and expensive but less limited in it's application.

I know who will be in my next campaign! :cool:

Thanks for the Link and someone find Killershrike and rep slap him for me!

La Rose

It's also a matter of paying for what you're doing; I agree with my peers' date=' here, this is a question of paying for the power as it is. Movement is always, at minimum, a half phase. That's a game balance issue, IMNSHO.[/quote']

Just to point out here - I think the OP is closer to getting what he wants by other means! - that I would allow a triggered teleport to take no time but the teleport would have to be completely defined when the trigger was set.

That is - I want to be able to trigger a teleport when I do a set action - such as fire my warp blast. I would have to say, when I fire my warp blast I want to teleport 10" backward. I would allow that - it might even be a decent way of preventing my HtH based squidgy teleporter from finishing his phase in HtH strike range.

What I wouldn't allow is for the destination to be decided immediately after making the attack.

Doc

I generally allow a -1 for limitations like "only to determine half move distance" or even higher for something like "only to determine casual strength".

If you break it down you are looking at something like:

A) 20" teleport (40pts) + 20" teleport only for half move determination -1 (20pts) = 60pts

vs.

B) 30" teleport (60pts)

A) has a 20" full move and a 20" half move with a 40" non combat move

B) has a 30" full move and a 15" half move with a 60" non combat move

Both of those seem pretty balanced to me for pros and cons which is why I set the limitation value at -1 typically.

If set at a -1/2 you end up with something like:

1) 15" teleport (30pts) + 15" teleport only for half move determination -1/2 (20pts) = 50pts

vs.

2) 25" teleport (50pts)

Considering 2) has a half move of only a couple hexes less than 1) and a much better full move and non combat move, I don't see why anyone would bother at that limitation level.

-The Inexplicable