urban fantasy hero posts

bubba smith

Re: urban fantasy hero posts

Will there be anything along the lines of the Lord Darcy stories? That is, a world that seems much like ours, but with magic replacing (largely but not necessarily completely) technology?

No, there are no settings like that in the book. All the settings mix magic and tech to some degree.

Though I agree the Lord Darcy stories are much fun. ;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will there be anything along the lines of the Lord Darcy stories? That is' date=' a world that seems much like ours, but with magic replacing (largely but not necessarily completely) technology?[/quote']

No, there are no settings like that in the book. All the settings mix magic and tech to some degree.

Though I agree the Lord Darcy stories are much fun. ;)

That's what I thought, given various descriptions, but I was hoping for Lord Darcy-ish setting info.

I'll be sure to get it anyway. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This has expanded my views. Previously I would have only been able to say Thieves World' date=' Hawk and Fisher, and the Dragaera novels.[/quote']

Hi!

Like posts 9 and 10 and 11 'splained, that's not "Urban Fantasy". That's plain ol' fantasy, well "Hawk & Fisher" have some steampunkish-ish things, don't they?

:)

I ended up cutting one setting/adventure' date=' Lycanthrope House, for space and deadline reasons. It's best described as "Poul Anderson's "Operation Salamander meets Revenge Of The Nerds/Animal House." Perhaps I'll write it up as a Hero Plus Adventure sometime. ;)[/quote']

If/when you do, I'll be buying it. :D One of the stories in Operation Chaos (itself a fixup novel) took place at a university football game.

Yup, Chris, that's "Operation Salamander." That was the only such story I was aware of until I started writing UFH and discovered there was a whole book of connected stories. Sadly, I think Operation Salamander is by far the best part of the book. Still, it's a great little Poul Anderson romp. ;)

Yup' date=' Chris, that's "Operation Salamander." That was the only such story I was aware of until I started writing UFH and discovered there was a whole book of connected stories. Sadly, I think Operation Salamander is by far the best part of the book. Still, it's a great little Poul Anderson romp. ;)[/quote']

Ahhh! You are of course correct. I had a double brainfart just then.

I'll still buy it!

Not that I want to run it or play in it, but it sounds like this covers Harry Potter too. The mix of magic into the real world.

I too am excited by the thought and idea. I have been wanting to build a post apocalyptic game were magic has returned and has replaced some technology. There would be a mix of an old school technology driven society in conflict with the group that thinks technology caused the problems. One group has re-discovered magic and is replacing the need for technology with magic. The magic group want to keep the technology group from repeating history. The technology group feel the magic is a "black art" and feels we should not be playing with it. There are fanatics on both sides that want to eliminate the other group.

Sounds like I need a copy of Urban Fantasy Hero.

Bob

Not that I want to run it or play in it, but it sounds like this covers Harry Potter too. The mix of magic into the real world.

I'd think HP would qualify, though it's sort of an odd duck, in that much of that action takes place at Hogwarts, which is sort of "divorced" from the real world. I didn't cite any of those books in the Bibliography, though, because I've only read one of them.

I'd think HP would qualify' date=' though it's sort of an odd duck, in that much of that action takes place at Hogwarts, which is sort of "divorced" from the real world. I didn't cite any of those books in the Bibliography, though, because I've only read one of them.[/quote']

I was not thinking of playing the "books" or even Hogwarts, I was thinking of the idea that out there in the world right now, amongst us, there is an entirely different society of Wizards and we do not know it. The society hidden inside the society. Wizards walking down the street side by side with normals. The Wizards are aware of the normals, but the normals are not aware of the wizards. The characters would be wizard “police” going after bad guys from their wizard society and trying to not been seen. Fighting crime in the wizards world that is hidden and mixed in with the non-wizards world. The entire thought comes from the burning of witches, they did and do still exist, they were just driven underground and have stayed there, living amongst, yet apart from us.

I was thinking of the idea that out there in the world right now, amongst us, there is an entirely different society of Wizards and we do not know it. The society hidden inside the society. Wizards walking down the street side by side with normals. The Wizards are aware of the normals, but the normals are not aware of the wizards. The characters would be wizard “police” going after bad guys from their wizard society and trying to not been seen. Fighting crime in the wizards world that is hidden and mixed in with the non-wizards world. The entire thought comes from the burning of witches, they did and do still exist, they were just driven underground and have stayed there, living amongst, yet apart from us.

That is very much Urban Fantasy. In fact, it is the very essence of many UF settings.

I was not thinking of playing the "books" or even Hogwarts' date=' I was thinking of the idea that out there in the world right now, amongst us, there is an entirely different society of Wizards and we do not know it. The society hidden inside the society. Wizards walking down the street side by side with normals. The Wizards are aware of the normals, but the normals are not aware of the wizards.[/quote']

IMO, the best book with this type of setting/background is The Wizard of the Pigeons. It's a real pain to get hold of a copy, but worth it if you do. An excellent, excellent read. :thumbup:

The characters would be wizard “police” going after bad guys from their wizard society and trying to not been seen. Fighting crime in the wizards world that is hidden and mixed in with the non-wizards world.

In The Wizard of the Pigeons, the fight is against an evil entity, not "bad wizards." And the protagonists are not organized enough to be considered "police." However, I think you'd find a lot of very useful ideas in the book, any way. ;)

IMO' date=' the best book with this type of setting/background is [i']The Wizard of the Pigeons[/i]. It's a real pain to get hold of a copy, but worth it if you do. An excellent, excellent read.

Wizard of the Pigeons (Mass Market Paperback)

by Megan Lindholm (Author), Robin Hobb (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Pigeons-Megan-Lindholm/dp/0441894674

About $30, wow! Is it really worth the $30?

Bob

Typically a book ships from the printer 2-3 weeks after we send it to them, depending on a variety of factors. I believe the tentative plan for UFH is for it to print on the 19th, so it will probably ship on the 20th or 21st (I may have a date or two wrong in there).

Since our printer is Canadian and measures time using the metric system, it can take, oh, 3 to 147 days for a book to reach our Nevada warehouse from the printer. It then becomes available in our Online Store, and gets shipped out to distributors who've ordered it. Depending on the efficiency of the distributor, where you're located, and whether your retail store has a pre-order for the book, it could be days or weeks before you actually see it. Once it leaves our warehouses it's beyond our control. ;)

Typically a book ships from the printer 2-3 weeks after we send it to them, depending on a variety of factors. I believe the tentative plan for UFH is for it to print on the 19th, so it will probably ship on the 20th or 21st (I may have a date or two wrong in there).

Since our printer is Canadian and measures time using the metric system, it can take, oh, 3 to 147 days for a book to reach our Nevada warehouse from the printer. It then becomes available in our Online Store, and gets shipped out to distributors who've ordered it. Depending on the efficiency of the distributor, where you're located, and whether your retail store has a pre-order for the book, it could be days or weeks before you actually see it. Once it leaves our warehouses it's beyond our control. ;)

i'm fraid i don't quite follow you sir