strange site

Redmenace

Re: strange site

I'll admit that looking at silly rocks is kind of...well...silly' date=' but there's no need to call the guy names.[/quote']

Good one Rapier, I see you wit is nearly as sharp as your blade :P

Moraine: A moraine is any glacially formed accumulation of unconsolidated glacial debris (soil and rock) which can occur in currently glaciated and formerly glaciated regions' date=' such as those areas acted upon by a past ice age. This debris may have been plucked off the valley floor as a glacier advanced or fallen off the valley walls as a result of frost wedging. Moraines may be composed of silt like glacial flour to large boulders. The debris is typically sub-angular to rounded. Moraines may be on the glacier’s surface or deposited as piles or sheets of debris where the glacier has melted. Moraines may also occur when glacier or iceberg transported rocks fall into the sea as the ice melts.[/quote']

On to the other-

Look at what forum it's posted in, O ye skeptics.

Now drop the cynicism, put on your fedora, and speculate about who built this complex and what might still be lurking there.

Agreed, the problem though is the physical location, 40' under some damn cold and fairly murky water. Pulp or not I'd have a hard time getting my players wet, put it someplace a little warmer... say Florida and they’d be all over it (the group is trying to find the link between Foo Fighters (not the band) and Atlantis).

Besides, it looks more like a Hippo eating a banana to me.;)

Look at what forum it's posted in, O ye skeptics.

Now drop the cynicism, put on your fedora, and speculate about who built this complex and what might still be lurking there.

Exactly. So, drawing inspiration from Redmenace's suggestion of a Lovecraftian setting, here's my idea:

An evil cult whose members are posing as druids is attempting to take control of all megaliths located at the nexus points where ley lines cross. By controlling these points, the cults are able to summon beings from the outer dark. Stonehenge being the best known and most accessible, the campaign starts with the "druids" performing a ceremony at the summer solstice (or any other appropriate time of year) to conjure a Lovecraftian monster. These types of ceremonies are common today and probably were even in the 30s due to people reviving the ancient pagan beliefs. Thus a cult pretending to perform an ancient pagan ritual would be viewed as more of a curiosity than a real threat. The PCs themselves would be tourists who've come to watch one of these ceremonies while on their way to some other location or adventure. Neither they nor anybody else takes it seriously until later that night when several people are horribly mutilated. It's up to the PCs to figure out what's happening and destroy the monster. But that's only the beginning. The cult is searching for other megaliths they know should exist from studying the ley lines and where they intersect. The more of these monuments they control, the more powerful the monsters they summon. It's up to the PCs to follow the cult around the world and combat it at every location, hoping to prevent the cult from summoning a creature strong enough to destroy the world.

As someone who lives relatively near to that area, I can tell you without hesitation that you need no strange phenomenon, alien, mystical, or otherwise, to explain the loss of ships and planes over the Great Lakes.

Furthermore, I suspect that if one does a more complete analysis, one would find the same thing that turns out to be the case in the Burmuda Triangle -- that the rate of ship loss is entirely in line with anywhere else, once the figures are adjusted for the level of traffic through the area.

Once again, this is the Pulp Hero forum. Of course the Bermuda Triangle has all sorts of craziness going on, and so, likely, do the Great Lakes. There are Sasquatches roaming the northwest, yetis in the Himalayas, and dinosaurs on various islands, plateaus, and pockets in the interior of the earth. Magicians use powers beyond the ken of men, and scientists build impossible devices.

This is the Pulp Hero forum.

Please, my players KNOW that there is a faulted Ley line that runs through the area with dark, malign forces attempting to come through from the dungeon dimensions.

This week at least. Next week? Probably the site of an alien incursion, possibly a site of immense psychic power due... oh lord, the brain's firing. Excuse me, I need more medication.

Once again' date=' this is the Pulp Hero forum. Of course the Bermuda Triangle has all sorts of craziness going on, and so, likely, do the Great Lakes. There are Sasquatches roaming the northwest, yetis in the Himalayas, and dinosaurs on various islands, plateaus, and pockets in the interior of the earth. Magicians use powers beyond the ken of men, and scientists build impossible devices.[/quote']

Which raises the question of just how much counterfactual wackiness is necessary for something to be "pulp". For some reason, taking real world sites and making up this kind of story about them strikes me as eyeroll-worthy in the extreme.

Which raises the question of just how much counterfactual wackiness is necessary for something to be "pulp". For some reason' date=' taking real world sites and making up this kind of story about them strikes me as eyeroll-worthy in the extreme.[/quote']

You still miss the point. They are talking about making up these stories for a fictional setting, not real life!

You still miss the point. They are talking about making up these stories for a fictional setting' date=' not [i']real life![/i]

Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean it makes any more sense to me. The world is full of unknown places and things and actual mysteries to fill with pulpy stuff.

Maybe I've just seen one too many claim that natural formations of rock are "proof" of lost civilizations from our ancient past, or that the Sphinx "just has to be older", to draw a line if it's "just for fiction" -- because there seems to be no shortage of people who are... mentally unable draw the line... ("Don't you understand that The DiVinci Code is based on the real hidden history!" :rolleyes: )

EDIT: For me, it's not that different from when someone does does an adaptation of a story into another medium, and changes it so much that the title is just a marketing ploy.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean it makes any more sense to me. The world is full of unknown places and things and actual mysteries to fill with pulpy stuff.

Maybe I've just seen one too many claim that natural formations of rock are "proof" of lost civilizations from our ancient past, or that the Sphinx "just has to be older", to draw a line if it's "just for fiction" -- because there seems to be no shortage of people who are... mentally unable draw the line... ("Don't you understand that The DiVinci Code is based on the real hidden history!" :rolleyes: )

There's no need to save anyone from being mislead here. We all know it's made up. I'm not trying to be the boss of you and I'm not a Moderator but I have to say just constantly dumping cold water on the thread is a bit, well, rude. If it was posted in NGD and someone was claiming these were "real" occult sites or something it would be understandable. This is just fishing for new and interesting inspirations for our respective games. There are other "real" sites but it's fun to have something new to toss at players that they may not have read about yet and all this stuff is made up anyway regardless of its a documented site or one recently discovered or one created whole cloth. Maybe you should just excuse yourself from the thread?

EDIT: For me, it's not that different from when someone does does an adaptation of a story into another medium, and changes it so much that the title is just a marketing ploy.

So 'Official Killjoy' isn't just a title, it's a way of life?

This is the PULP HERO section where this sort of wierdness belongs, not the NGD discussion!

Did you realize that of all the people on this board, you are the one I've come closest to reporting for insulting posts the most? And are you aware that many other people have PM'ed me similar sentimets? Maybe I should just start reporting you every time you start this sort of behavior.

Since, becaue you're a moderator, I just can't put you on my ignore list... where again you'd be the only one.

This is the PULP HERO section where this sort of wierdness belongs, not the NGD discussion!

Did you realize that of all the people on this board, you are the one I've come closest to reporting for insulting posts the most? And are you aware that many other people have PM'ed me similar sentimets? Maybe I should just start reporting you every time you start this sort of behavior.

Since, becaue you're a moderator, I just can't put you on my ignore list... where again you'd be the only one.

Just as a note, the first several responses from this thread:

color me skeptical. All I see are rocks. This picture allegedly shows the 'mastodon'. I don't see it.

Probably just random rocks.

Humans like to see patterns and truths in the world so much that they'll see things that aren't really there and truths in what is really random noise.

You can see the parallel striation on the top surface of the boulder (just below the divers torso)' date=' it's glacier plucking debris. It’s arranged in a line because we’re looking at a moraine.[/quote']

:confused:

There's no need to save anyone from being mislead here. We all know it's made up. I'm not trying to be the boss of you and I'm not a Moderator but I have to say just constantly dumping cold water on the thread is a bit' date=' well, rude. If it was posted in NGD and someone was claiming these were "real" occult sites or something it would be understandable. This is just fishing for new and interesting inspirations for our respective games. There are other "real" sites but it's fun to have something new to toss at players that they may not have read about yet and all this stuff is made up anyway regardless of its a documented site or one recently discovered or one created whole cloth. Maybe you should just excuse yourself from the thread?[/quote']

Speaking As A Moderator: If anyone makes a post that you feel violates the rules of conduct, which includes insulting or inflammatory posts, please report it. It doesn't matter whether the poster is a moderator or not. Moderators should, can, and do get called on their behavior just like any other member.

Please understand that we (the moderators) generally only action egregious violations "on our own" so to speak. In the case of things like insulting or inflammatory posts, we generally respond to a report that someone finds a post insulting or inflammatory (since such things can be subjective, and often require a judgment call). By and large, if you're not telling us that you feel a post violates the rules of conduct, we won't know you feel that way. We can't guarantee we'll agree that every post you report merits some sort of action, but we can pretty much guarantee that most posts you don't report will not be actioned. :)