A super-powered normal

Grimble

One of my current players is playing James Bond in a Champions game. He has one actual super power. He has a vehicle summon to simulate Bonds ability to find a ride fast. Be it a car or boat or plane or tank, there just happens to be one for him to "borrow" right by him.

What other superpowers have you given to super "normals" in Champions games? I'm mostly looking for subtle stuff. Not flashy gagdets or the like.

Re: A super-powered normal

There are a load in Dark Champions called Super Skills, which are cinemetic abilites which are almost super powers.

An example would be telepathy represented as talking to a person, and being able to weedle out any information you want in a conversation. It takes about 5 minutes and a roll, but it works quite well.

I designed a character once whose only superpower was insane pattern recognition/prediction abilities. She didn't have any powers... but she was capable of picking out exactly the moment to attack to cut through armor, 'read minds' by profiling people based on the barest of information, that kind of thing.

Never got a chance to play her, unfortunately.

What other superpowers have you given to super "normals" in Champions games? I'm mostly looking for subtle stuff. Not flashy gagdets or the like.

A lot depends on what you consider "flashy". :cool:

In general, though, what you have described is a pretty standard "non-powered" martial artist. Running, Combat Luck and martial arts can be considered standard, as can reasonable characteristics.

By "reasonable characteristics" I, of course, mean "superheroic martial artist reasonable", not "real world reasonable". The latter has nothing to do with a character in a superhero game, whether he has "powers" or not.

How many points is he on?

How many points is he on?

James Bond, like the other members of the World Watchers was built on 300 pt base and 150 disads. He also has a couple weopon pools and a couple gadget pools as well as an armored Aston Martin with ejection seat.:thumbup:

would melinda gordon's [the ghost whisperer]ability to speak with the dead make her a super powered normal as a medium?

In my opinion, she would be a super "normal" but not really the type I'm looking for on this thread. I'm looking for stuff that the character that has it wouldn't even think of it as a power.

James Bond is following a bad-guy down the streets of a foreign city. He sees the target climb into a limo and pull away. Just so happenes that a cab is running at the curb right next to him. James climbs in and drives after the limo...Meanwhile, in the real world. Bond's player just succeeded in summoning a vehicle appropriate to the situation. His character didn't shout a magic word or perform a ritual to a dark god. As far as Bond is concerned, it's just common practice for people to leave the keys in cars and boats and planes.

I designed a character once whose only superpower was insane pattern recognition/prediction abilities. She didn't have any powers... but she was capable of picking out exactly the moment to attack to cut through armor, 'read minds' by profiling people based on the barest of information, that kind of thing.

Never got a chance to play her, unfortunately.

... post her? Please?? This is just the great sort of thing that can be fun and useful to have.

There is a character just like that called Mentiac, from UNITY. The armour thing could be represented as find weakness, and the telepathy should go sort of like this:

8 1) One Step Ahead Of You: Telepathy

10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½);

Requires A Deduction Roll (-½), Extra

Time (5 Minutes; -2), Concentration (½

DCV throughout activation time — must

closely observe subject, including facial

expressions; -½), Only Surface Thoughts

May Be Read (-½), Does Not Provide

Mental Awareness (-¼) 0

Although his character probably did it faster then 5 minutes.

Another guy I ran for, years back played a hard-boiled,gun-toting detective-type. He wanted the schtick that he just doesn't seem to get hit during firefights. He bought lots of CSLs for DCV only. He had to replace many trenchcoats and a few hats that ended up with bullet holes, but he only took one bullet during the entire run of the game (A magically enhanced bullet with his name on it).

Another guy I run for years back played a hard-boiled' date='gun-toting detective-type. He wanted the schtick that he just doesn't seem to get him during firefights. He bought lots of CSLs for DCV only. He had to replace many trenchcoats and a few hats that ended up with bullet holes, but he only took one bullet during the entire runn of the game (A magically enhanced bullet with his name on it).[/quote']

sounds like DICK TRACY to me

One of my favorite subtle superpowers is Luck. Sure, 1 or 2 dice of Luck just makes you a pretty lucky guy. 60 active pts of Luck is a superpower. Strange thing happen around you, you never lose a game of cards and you keep finding $10 and $20 bills on the ground, but would you consider yourself a metahuman or ever think of putting on a cape and your underwear on over your pants?