Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Chalice -- Alice "Ali" Mattheson' date=' former singer with heavy metal band [i']Mercy Brown[/i], and currently mistress of the elemental waters. Chalice is a water elementalist who can generate and project water...as well as playing a number of little tricks with the wet stuff.

I'd like to submit Chalice for consideration for the Catalyst campaign...but I'm still struggling to get her into a submission-ready form. This PC was built for a different game -- and built with a lot of GM input -- and I'm still tinkering with the power set, trying to work out what we did back then, and why.

I don't think she'll be ready to submit until next Wednesday. If that's too late to have the character considered, please just let me know.

Chalice has an Offensive and a Defensive Multipower of water effects; not just attacks and defenses, but some environmental effects too, like darkness vs normal vision ("fog"), and change environment to create wet/slippery conditions ("slippery when wet").

However, there's something strange going on with the builds of the two Multipowers, and also with Chalice's Armour/Damage Reduction powers; I'm still trying to puzzle out the write-ups. Plus there are powers Chalice has and I don't know why, AND there are ones she doesn't have, and I don't know why not....

Chalice should be a Jack of all trades, master of none; she should be able to do something of most things, though the other PCs are going to be a lot better at specific things. So with any luck, when I'm finished with her she'll be a versatile and useful character -- and hopefully a good addition to the group.

Appearance:

Ali's 5'8, lean and fit-looking, even though she takes lousy care of herself. She's rarely seen without her sunglasses, or a cigarette in her hand. She has fair skin, hooded gray eyes and a long shaggy pelt of black hair, usually worn loose; she's a good-looking lady.

When she blinks, there's a quick iridescent glisten from the nictitating membranes on her eyes -- her "third eyelids". Her tattoos -- dark leafy vines winding around both her arms from wrist to shoulder -- are visible when she wears anything less than full sleeves. Like a cat, Ali goes from extremes of physical activity to apparent boneless relaxation and back again very quickly. She often appears half-asleep when relaxed, even when she's actually quite alert...it's those hooded eyes, what the poets used to call "slumbrous."

Disadvantages

5 Distinctive features: third eyelid (nictitating membranes on eyes) [Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognized, Detectable By Sight]

5 Distinctive features: tattoos (dark vines wrapped around both arms) [Easily Concealed, Noticed & Recognized, Detectable by Sight]

20 Hunted: uncle, the Reverend Laurence Mattheson (aka Obeah Fortunatis, the Conjure Man); [More powerful, Harshly punish, NCI, Appears 8-]

15 Psychological Limitation: Cult of Toughness; always wants to prove by word or deed that she's "tougher than thou". [Common, Strong]

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing [Common, Strong]

10 Psychological Limitation: Superstitious [Common, Moderate]

5 Reputation: That satanist heavy metal singer [8-]

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity, Alice Mattheson [Frequently, Major]

10 Social Limitation: Harmful Secret [Occasionally, Major] – there’s a death in her past

Personality:

Ali’s strong-willed and strong-minded, and she’s turned that strength to recreating herself as a “tough customer,” too tough to be emotionally hurt by any of the things people do...or have done. Ali is tough, though not as tough as she thinks she is, and perhaps not in the ways she thinks; her toughness is an ability to endure things and carry on regardless, rather than making her “untouchable.”

She constantly struggles not to be “like her father,” whom she regards as the font of all evils. Ali tries, mostly successfully these days, to control her stubbornness and impatience, and most of all, her temper.

She has a hatred of unfairness, especially unfair blame and unfair punishment; she had it literally beaten into her by her father and grandparents. Ali still has a problem with authority in general. She’s a loyal friend and does her best to be a bad enemy.

Music in all its forms is her passion, but especially vocal music. She loves to sing, and sings a lot; she has a vocal range like Geddy Lee in his early days with “Rush”, and the power of “Motorhead’s” Lemmy. Despite being quick-witted and educated, Ali is very superstitious; perhaps that’s what makes her secretly a Romantic.

She really does want to save the world, and damn the cost to her.

Resend this as a .hdc please. All I have to do is load the file and start checking. I dont want to have to check the math on each power, stat, whatnot and I don't have time to re-type.

Now if you DONT have the ability to send it as an hdc then I will make one the first time and we will go from there.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try and look your submission over today.

I am going to start with the disads and work my way around:

1. Psychological Limitation: reluctant to kill (Common, Total) - so, you WONT kill. I am reluctant to buy gas at $3.00 a gallon, but if I cant find it cheaper... I buy $3.00 gas. If you wont kill then Code vs. killing (Common, Total) is more my style.

2. Watched: Mumbai underworld 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching). This is a zero point limitation as they have a limited geographic area (they are half a world away). Now, if you are telling me they would trade a favor for another underworld organization locally to get your goat... then it stays a 5 point.

3. Social Limitation: sex object (Frequently, Minor)

BIG recommendation!!! Drop the sex object limitation.

Because of your "magnetic personality" I would like you too pick up...

* Social Limitation: Stunningly Beautiful (Very Frequently, Minor) 15pts.

The character is extremely visually attractive by the standards of the campaign society. He turns heads, stops traffic, silences loud rooms, etc. just by being visible. The character is not necessarily sexually attractive; it may be chaste or even inhuman beauty. To take this Disadvantage, the character must have a high Comeliness, and should also have the Distinctive Feature: Stunningly Beautiful.

* Distince Feature: Stunningly Beautiful (Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recoginsed) - 5 points

* Push your presence to 20 and you comeliness to around a 24 (stats costs you 5 points).

You just made 10 extra points of disads, drop your underworld 5 point hunted. Drop Bollywood reputation... very few Bollywood stars are even known in america.

I will "probably" take the myster hunted and split it in two. One hunted will be a favor from your underworld hunted. "Mr. Rajan sends his regards (and the shoot at you)." The other will be something else.

You have a Public ID, DNPCs and a Hunted. You know it is going to come up. I mean.. 15 points of DPNC, 10 point Public ID and 25 points of hunted. 1/3 of you total disad points. You have an DNPC 8- x2 and an 11- hunted in points. Just a warning: this will be a constant in your life (8- is one out of 4 adventures and 11- is one out of two)... PLUS public ID.

Now to powers:

Micro EMP: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (only vs electronics; -1 1/2)

Change Penetrating to Armor Piercing. Second, you have ONLY vs electronics as a disad. If a robot did missle reflection you have x2 stun to electromagnetic attacks... but since you have only vs electronics it would not. Drop the only vs electronics to a -3/4 (this is the modern world) and know if this somehow comes your way... you will be effected.

Force Field (15 PD/21 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (45 Active Points). We do not allow Costs END only to Activate in the campaign for these kinds of powers. It was meant for transformations and whatnot. You basically get a zero endurance power. Buy reduced endurance instead. You have 50 endurance... you can still push like mad :eek:

Drop your defenses to 25/25. You are a brick, but you are a brick with ranged attacks. If you did not have ranged attacks, I would let you buy them a bit higher (around 27s).

You have a large skill set, but almost nothing for everyday use. Acting, Conversation and Seduction... I recommend you get some investigatory stills.

Your current build is 340 points. I recommend buying about 5 points in stats and taking you pd/ed down by 1 (which will shave off a tad). This is a 350+5xp point game and you qualify for the +5.

Okay here's my first draft of the Batman-esque

Raider

Player: Checkmate

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

29 DEX 57

23 CON 26

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

8/14 PD 4

8/14 ED 3

6 SPD 21

10 REC 2

46 END 0

35 STUN 3

9" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 159

Cost Power

2 Strong Will: Mental Defense (5 points total)

6 Athletic: Running +3" (9" total)

12 Microweave Costume: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20 Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Boomarang: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4)

1u 2) Grapple Gun: Swinging 20", No Gravity Penalty (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)

1u 4) Re-breather: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 44

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Krav Maga

4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 2) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND

4 3) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm roll

4 4) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 5) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

3 6) Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 40 STR for holding on

5 7) Kick/Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

4 8) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

3 9) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Boomarang-Fu

4 1) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC

5 3) Offensive Trip: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike +v/5, Target Falls

5 4) Offensive Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +2, Disarm, +2 DC to Disarm

Martial Arts Cost: 63

Cost Skill

10 +1 Overall

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 14-

3 Forensic Medicine 14-

2 CK: Thebes 11-

2 KS: Espianage World 11-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Security Systems 14-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 14-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Tactics 14-

Skills Cost: 62

Cost Perk

10 Future Expenditure

Perks Cost: 10

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Psychological Limitation: Disillusioned Super-Patriot (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Sentry Program (Uncommon, Strong)

5 Hunted: Sentry Initiative 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Dark Secret: Help Create the Sentry Initutive (Occasionally, Major)

15 Dependent NPC: Son 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Enraged: Son Threatened (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 14-

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 5

I am going to ask FED to look into the Characteristic and DC level. 6 SPD, 29 DEX, 10 DC attack (but martial arts) with 20 (14 reg and 6 combat luck) Defenses. Considering I am still on drugs (pain meds) I want a second opinion on them. Everything looks ok from here... the defense may be a bit too high.

Loose the Dark Secret: Sentry Initative. It is currently being hailed as a good thing by the local populace and is a strong point for most of the local political candidates. We will keep it as a background point and if the flavor does change I will adjust points (probably make a hunted slack off or go away). The hatred of S.I. is fine and the watched by SI is fine. Take off the limited geographic area (we are playing in a campaign city it is a part of) and take it up to 11-.

I recommend purchasing a little bit of leaping too (maybe 3" worth, only costs 3 points). If you are going to be playing at Batman, you need to be able to run AND jump.

I like the Utility Belt powers... the local thread on it is amazing.

You need at least 1d6 of luck.

I wanted a name that really synched into the area. Since Memphis is nearby' date=' and there is this BIG river... :)[/quote']

And with Cairo, IN just up the 65 a piece... :)

I am really a BUILDER when it comes to campaigns. Ask Fed, I get INTO in the history to make a game. I usual make "modules" have a feel with critical junctures and wing it from there (works well in any urban setting). Dungeon crawling, no so much :rolleyes:.

Nothing makes me happier than coming into a game world that feels like something real. There's enough raw story going on here to make for fertile storytelling ground.

PS, did you have a chance to look at my return questions about Engram from earlier?

Application For Catalyst:Thebes

Character Concept: Fast Brick

Stat Block:

Tasha Chernova

Player:

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

15 DEX 15

28 CON 36

19 BODY 18

13 INT 3

12 EGO 4

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

12/30 PD 6

12/30 ED 6

7 SPD 45

12 REC 0

56 END 0

48 STUN 0

20" RUN 28

10" SWIM 8

8" LEAP 2

Characteristics Cost: 197

Cost Power

54 Unbreakable: Armor (18 PD/18 ED)

9 Unmutable: Power Defense (9 points)

7 Hardened Mind: Mental Defense (9 points total)

8 Umoveable Object: Knockback Resistance -4"

18 Altered Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)

13 Hits Like A Truck: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 109

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 CuK: Indian 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 Gambling 12-

3 KS: Buddhism 12-

3 KS: Cars 12-

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

2 Language: Hindi (fluent conversation)

0 Language: Russian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Mechanic 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

Skills Cost: 44

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Tattoos (sleeves, back of the neck) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Authorities 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Hunted: Old Enemies 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Fearless (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Initiate Violence/Pacifist (Very Common, Strong) [Notes: This doesn't mean she won't finish a fight. But she will never start one.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Vegitarian (Uncommon, Total)

10 Reputation: Criminal, 11-

10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Criminal Record (Ex-Con) (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Vegitarian (Occasionally, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Background, Etc:

Tasha grew up a first generation Russian Immigrant, her parents were poor there, and poor here. She still has a hint of a Russian accent as she didn't learn English until she got to school. Tasha had a tough life as a child, while she excelled at sports, being excellent as track and swimming, she never did well socially, and she grew up tall quickly, another factor to make her a target. Even before she becaome Prime she was stronger than most of the boys. As a teenager she dirfted towards street life, and eventually right into actual criminal activity. By nineteen she'd been arrested on several felony charges. She was in jail until twenty-five, shortened sentence as part of a plea bargain and good behavior. The experience turned her around, she wanted nothing but a quiet straight life. Sadly being an ex-con works against one most of the time.

She drifted around the country, finally ending up in Northern Califnornia dead broke, and losing hope. She ended up living in a very small Indian neighborhood, and got hired by a mechanic. He taught her most of what she knows, as well as many Buddhist tennents. She stayed with him for several years, become Buddhist, actually getting professional training as a Mechanic and learning a lot of her neighbors culture.

After years of little contact her mother finally managed to get a hold of her - her father had passed away. Tasha went back east for the funeral, going home gave her the same sense of helplessness and being lost as she had in her youth. Taking it as a sign she began wandering the country again.

Her powers came to her attention when she was involved in a car accident, a drunk driver swerved into her as she walked down a street one night, the car was totaled, the driver hospitalized, Tasha was completely unharmed.

Personality -

Tasha comes off as either too serious or dour to most people. She's quiet and very slow to anger. Tasha tries very had to keep a calm collected mood, and is almost afraid to let her emotions out, she's afraid that all she'll find is resentment and anger inside herself. Once she opens up to someone she's friendly. Though she can fake personable when needed.

Quote -

You can hit me again, or you can come quietly. If I have to hit you things could get ugly.

Tactics -

Tasha is very fast, and very tough. She has no serious combat training, and does all she can to avoid fighting in the first place. She's not amazingly strong but if she has space to get moving she can still pack a solid hit when absolutely necessary. Even if she does get invovled in a fight she simply takes the hits and extricates herself from the situation. If others are involved, especially fragile innocents she'll either get them clear or as an absolute last resort fight back.

Appearance -

Tasha is a tall woman of Russian decent, with a well toned athlete's body. She's in her late twenties, she keeps her jet black hair cut short. She prefers earth tones. Since she already has a criminal record and has to register with the local police anyways, she doesn't bother with a mask or even attempt to disguise herself. She has distinctive tattoo sleeves and a flow tattooed on the back of her neck as well.

Height: 6'2 Weight: 183 Eyes: Grey Hair: Black

HDC and Image attached

(there is a 2nd character I'm working up for consideration, but am still working through a background I like and a powerset that won't cause any right minded GM to lynch me... I got out of hand on the first go)

7 Speed and 30 Defenses. WAY, way beyond the campaign set limits. Read this please.

You have power defense, mental defense and life support. I allow one special defense without question. Second one is a maybe. Third is probably going to be a no-go. I can see power defense. I don't see mental defense. I could see some life support: like you can take all the extreme environments and hold your breath a long time. Longevity, no need to eat or sleep... I would drop those.

Hits like a truck... why not just buy up the strength? 30 Defense are in line with a 4 or 5 speed brick, not a seven speed.

You can only have 50 points of psychological limitations, you have 70.

Social Limitation: Criminal Conviction.

Reputation: Criminal, 11- <- I would drop this. This means that 1/2 of the society knows who you are. Madoff is an 11- right now :eek:

I would take your watched by the authorities down to an as powerful. More powerful on an 11- with all that influence, they will be in your business ALL THE TIME.

Work on these and resubmit.

Engram

1. Nothing on you character real speaks to me why he is a hero. He looks like he would just be a University Professor or a contract agent for a think tank. You even say as much under his personality/motivation.

I think I tried to portray the why in his background - first, he's a Prime, and if you woke up with super powers, wouldn't your first question be "where do I go for the nifty jumpsuit?" and second, he wants to be a role model for other young Hispanic men. If he could be both a professor (or other, see below) and a public Prime, that would be twice the good.

nothing really to say here.

2. Nothing on you character's disads shows me he would not manipulate people at will for any darn reason he liked.

I did post about this when Fed brought it up. I guess I don't have any disads that would bind me to behaving myself, but would definitely role play it that way. Do you have any suggestions for Psych Lims, say, that would satisfy you that he not only wouldn't, but couldn't, abuse his powers?

You dont have any "heroic" codes. Protect the Innocent, Code vs. Killing, Seek Justice, etc. You dont even have some of the less heroic ones like adventurer, thrill seeker, etc. As you said you want to be a role model, but the WHY be a super still exists. To done a costume and protect the public trust has to have a why, or at the first sign of trouble you would stop. "Man I love being a super. Oh, Dr. D has kidnapped Mom. Either I stop being a super or she sleeps with the fishes. Well.. were to hang this cape in the closet."

So far as not abusing you powers, that is one: Psychological Limitation - Fears abusing his power (Common, Strong) - 15 points. You would refrain from using your power in everyday life. Maybe you think once you start it becomes a slippery slope to the dark side (or something). I would excluding obvious supering (using a mental attack on some thug) but you would hold back during interrogation. That would limit your probing. So far as adventuring, maybe Protect the Innocent/Weak/Powerless.

Also, you skill level is high enough why not move a few skills around a tad and join the Metahuman studies department OR become a private contractor (like a mental PI, what is becoming popular with the new tv shows today). Just a thought.

Tell me more about this option - I'm curious just what, exactly, you're thinking - like an investigator of the paranormal, or as a regular gumshoe with some advanced tools in his kit?

Paranormal or advanced. You would have to decide. Are you the guy the cops come to when they dont have a clue and need a lead? Are you the guy Mrs. Smith comes to because her husband has vanished and the cops wont do anything? Are you both? Do the cops see you as a quack? The cops LOVE you? Etc. There are countless shows that persue this kind of carrier: Medium, Lie to Me, Numbers, etc.

Requiem

1. On your damage shield, put the NND as LS: Intense Heat, Hardened ED, 10+ rED.

RAW doesn't allow for an NND defense to be based on a certain value of a conventional defense - is that a house rule for Catalyst?

Its all me. Lets look at this power. Could a fireman's suit protect him from your power. Lets say yes. They don;t have life support or hardened ED. They do have resistant ED though. However, since you already have LS: Intense Heat and Hardened ED, I put the level to 10+.

I recommend keep the power personal with about 4 penality skill levels. After you run into some situations where you need to protect others from a hail of gunfire, get the ranged advantage on the power (see above).

I wasn't very well versed with penalty skill roles before this batch of characters. I'll reconsider how best to invest those skill points before I resubmit.

ok

PS' date=' did you have a chance to look at my return questions about Engram from earlier?[/quote']

Nope, forgot about ya in the hail of new player submission. I did respond just now. Thanks for the reminder.

I am going to ask FED to look into the Characteristic and DC level. 6 SPD' date=' 29 DEX, 10 DC attack (but martial arts) with 20 (14 reg and 6 combat luck) Defenses. Considering I am still on drugs (pain meds) I want a second opinion on them. Everything looks ok from here... the defense may be a bit too high.[/quote']

I have no issues with dropping the DEX/SPD

Loose the Dark Secret: Sentry Initative. It is currently being hailed as a good thing by the local populace and is a strong point for most of the local political candidates. We will keep it as a background point and if the flavor does change I will adjust points (probably make a hunted slack off or go away). The hatred of S.I. is fine and the watched by SI is fine. Take off the limited geographic area (we are playing in a campaign city it is a part of) and take it up to 11-.

I'll make the changes. I was waiting for more information about what Agency he worked with perviously. I saw a few possiblites, but was wondering if you had something in mind. Once we settle on this, I'll fill in the Hunteds better, and write up the full History/Personality. Also, as a plot hook, I was thinking his son was a Prime, and he's worried about the slippery slope of the Sentry Initutative could develope, and the problems that may cause for his son.

I recommend purchasing a little bit of leaping too (maybe 3" worth' date=' only costs 3 points). If you are going to be playing at Batman, you need to be able to run AND jump.[/quote']

I had leaping at one time, not sure why I got rid of it.

I like the Utility Belt powers... the local thread on it is amazing.

You need at least 1d6 of luck.

I'll take another look at that thread and see if it gives me any other ideas. After reading that sight, I'm pretty sure I understand what the Luck is about :D

Hm. I may have to consider a second submission that doesn't step on anybody's toes.

In any event, revised version attached.

~Gabriel

Don't worry about stepping on to many peoples toes. Some of it will get vetted with the selections. However, someone who sticks to an area of speciality has a better chance of being selected than someone who is all over (all other things being equal).

Starting at disads:

Distinctive Feature: Glowing Tatoo - if all you have to do it wear a high collar, then it is Easily concealable.

Convicted Felon is not a reputation, it is a social limiation. 8- means like 1/4 of the population knows you are a convicted felon. Try this:

Social Limitation = Criminal Conviction

Occasionally, Minor 5pts. / Occasionally, Major 10pts. / Occasionally, Severe 15pts. / Frequently, Minor 10pts. / Frequently, Major 15pts. / Frequently, Severe 20pts. / Very Frequently, Minor 15pts. / Very Frequently, Major 20pts. / Very Frequently, Severe 25pts.

The character is known (by at least some) to have been convicted of a crime. The frequency determines just how well known that conviction is. Effects can range from merely being snubbed or turned down for good jobs, through beatings and denial of housing, to even being lynched, depending on the nature of the crime. Note that the character does not actually need to have been convicted, so long as those around him think he was. This Disadvantage is in fact more limiting to those who are innocent of the crimes listed. This Disadvantage often is accompanied by a Watched by a probation officer or police, or even a Hunted if the character failed to serve out his sentence. Particularly vile crimes may also rate a negative Reputation.

Social Limitation: Bounty - are you taking this to mean...

This character has a price on his head. A reward has been offered for the character's capture, or at least evidence of his demise in extreme cases. Precisely who put the price on the character's head and why are up to the player and the GM. The usual candidates include dishonorable noblemen, the Mafia, and even law enforcement agencies, depending on the genre of the campaign. Note that this Disadvantage is not the same thing as the Hunted Disadvantage, since the organizations or individuals mentioned above may not necessarily be actively hunting the character (unless the character also takes the Hunted disadvantage), but rather they've offered to pay a handsome reward to whomever does their dirty work for them. This works similar to the "Rogue's Gallery" option for Hunteds, except that the player has no say in the list of possible Hunters.

What do you mean by bounty? Who put it on your head? Why?

There is not a history to go along with your .hdc file so I cant speak to your disads.

You decided against the martial dodge?

I have no issues with dropping the DEX/SPD

We have another 6 SPD, 26 Dex semi martial artist who has 20/20 defenses. Let FED take a look and we will see.

I'll make the changes. I was waiting for more information about what Agency he worked with perviously. I saw a few possiblites, but was wondering if you had something in mind. Once we settle on this, I'll fill in the Hunteds better, and write up the full History/Personality. Also, as a plot hook, I was thinking his son was a Prime, and he's worried about the slippery slope of the Sentry Initutative could develope, and the problems that may cause for his son.

I would not worry about the hunteds to much. I like to fill those in so they make sense with the campaign. For instance, there are a few underworld organizations that have influence in the area: Tong, Dealer, Street Gangs, and Native American. So, picking the Italian Mob or the Columbian Crime Syndicate would not really fit Thebes.

As far as organizations go, any of the public known ones that interact within the community are fine. You could even make an unknown one (a think tank or somesuch) that worked for an organization (CIA, NSA, Homeland Security). The Sentry Initative is an independed body locally, just like the Feds and local police. They are more of a watchdog that other get info from locally. For instance, the feds put up then most wanted and the cops do too. Someone who looks like a feds most wanted gets Fed notification and the Feds can alert the locals if they like. SI makes a judgement call, and can call in others if they think the Feds are playing secrets to the detriment of other agencies.

I had leaping at one time, not sure why I got rid of it.

Might want to dab a few points in Swimming too.

I'll take another look at that thread and see if it gives me any other ideas. After reading that sight, I'm pretty sure I understand what the Luck is about :D

ok

Starting at disads:

Distinctive Feature: Glowing Tatoo - if all you have to do it wear a high collar, then it is Easily concealable.

Very true. I thought I'd already changed that.

Convicted Felon is not a reputation, it is a social limiation. 8- means like 1/4 of the population knows you are a convicted felon. Try this:

Social Limitation = Criminal Conviction

Sounds good.

What do you mean by bounty? Who put it on your head? Why?

He's the first man to escape from the Chinese super-prison. I figure the government wants him back one way or another, in order to save face.

There is not a history to go along with your .hdc file so I cant speak to your disads.

You decided against the martial dodge?

I tend towards non-standard character backgrounds (i.e. newspaper clippings, short stories), and I haven't had time to condense them into a traditional narrative. I'll get on that.

And I wasn't sure Martial Dodge would really be fair. His base DCV is 9, and he has a +1 All CSL. With Martial Dodge, he'd be able to get a DCV of 15. I wanted to ask if that would be acceptable before I threw it on his sheet.

~Gabriel

In a game system where characters can turn Desolid, Martial Dodge isn't a big deal. Since you can't attack and use Martial Dodge at the same time, the DCV isn't a big issue.

(Posted from my G1 phone - I should be home in about 2 hours, and will start character reviews then.)

7 Speed and 30 Defenses. WAY' date=' way beyond the campaign set limits. Read this please.

You have power defense, mental defense and life support. I allow one special defense without question. Second one is a maybe. Third is probably going to be a no-go. I can see power defense. I don't see mental defense. I could see some life support: like you can take all the extreme environments and hold your breath a long time. Longevity, no need to eat or sleep... I would drop those.

Hits like a truck... why not just buy up the strength? 30 Defense are in line with a 4 or 5 speed brick, not a seven speed.

You can only have 50 points of psychological limitations, you have 70.

Social Limitation: Criminal Conviction.

Reputation: Criminal, 11- <- I would drop this. This means that 1/2 of the society knows who you are. Madoff is an 11- right now :eek:

I would take your watched by the authorities down to an as powerful. More powerful on an 11- with all that influence, they will be in your business ALL THE TIME.

Work on these and resubmit.

I did read the guidelines.

I was hoping to avoid playing Just Another Brick with low Dex, low SPD, high STR.

If I wanted a high STR I would have bought a high STR. I wanted a mid STR, and the DCs are below the suggested 11 base.

The DEX is still low - as is "standard" for a brick.

Not sure what about high Speed requires low Defenses.

The changes requested change the character too much.

You seem to be forcing molds like character classes. Not really interested in playing what's already been done to death a million times in a million different Champions games. Maybe another time.

Alright, wrote in the background and added Martial Dodge.

I also realized that I was spending too many points for SPEED and CSLs when I could just raise his Dex and save a few points. So I did that and eliminated the CSLs, leaving him with the same overall OCV/DCV, but faster reactions. I used the extra points I saved to get the Defensive Maneuver skill.

And, of course, I redid the Disads and modified a perk that didn't fit with his background.

~Gabriel

Thanks for the feedback, Zac. New version attached. Some thoughts/questions...

I am going to start with the disads and work my way around:

2. Watched: Mumbai underworld 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching). This is a zero point limitation as they have a limited geographic area (they are half a world away). Now, if you are telling me they would trade a favor for another underworld organization locally to get your goat... then it stays a 5 point.

What if the Rajans are just the local arm of some kind of international crime syndicate? Would that work in this campaign world? Could offer some plot hooks, and more motivation for Talwar (he thought he was out, but...)

You have a Public ID' date=' DNPCs and a Hunted. You know it is going to come up. I mean.. 15 points of DPNC, 10 point Public ID and 25 points of hunted. 1/3 of you total disad points. You have an DNPC 8- x2 and an 11- hunted in points. Just a warning: this will be a constant in your life (8- is one out of 4 adventures and 11- is one out of two)... PLUS public ID.[/quote']

Changed to Secret ID, dropped the DNPCs. Would love to reduce the Hunteds, but those last few points of Disadvantages are tough to come up with and I hate Unluck. ;) He feels like he has a lot to prove...what about a Rivalry with another hero? Social Lim: needs a green card? Uh...diabetes?

You have a large skill set' date=' but almost nothing for everyday use. Acting, Conversation and Seduction... I recommend you get some investigatory stills.[/quote']

How about this: he was a computer science major before he dropped out, and he's getting ready to go back to school. I'll give him Computer Programming and Electronics, and he can use his powers for Lockpicking.

I'm not one of those people who assumes that every strong brick is a Superman clone or every magnetism controller is a Magneto clone, but actually calling your multipower Master of Magnetism doesn't seem quite right...

~Gabriel

I did read the guidelines.

I was hoping to avoid playing Just Another Brick with low Dex, low SPD, high STR.

If I wanted a high STR I would have bought a high STR. I wanted a mid STR, and the DCs are below the suggested 11 base.

The DEX is still low - as is "standard" for a brick.

Not sure what about high Speed requires low Defenses.

The changes requested change the character too much.

Okay, finally home from work...

I'm going to disagree with Zac - I don't think the SPD/Defenses combo is unbalanced. There are two primary areas for balancing. The first is attacks - higher SPD must be balanced versus higher Damage classes, with OCV taken into account as well. Attack power, attack speed, and attack accuracy are the three parts that need to be examined.

In this case, the high SPD is balanced by a 10d6 main attack (which is melee) and a 5 OCV with no levels. This is balanced...in fact, considering the average DCV is 8, this character will only hit the average supervillain on an 8-. I would personally find that frustrating, even with 7 chances to attack per turn.

The second area of balancing is defenses. Yes, the character has 30/30 defenses...but only a 5 DCV. This character will be hit, and hit often...often enough to justify the defenses. Yes, the STUN is near brick levels...but that's still not enough to make things unbalanced.

There are also less concrete factors, such as the lack of ranged attacks, and the multiple special defenses. I think they balance out for the most part.

You seem to be forcing molds like character classes. Not really interested in playing what's already been done to death a million times in a million different Champions games. Maybe another time.

That is certainly your choice. My opinion is that I don't think the character is unbalanced mechanically. The larger concern I have is a concept...why is the character so fast, yet (for that level of reaction time) so clumsy? 7 SPD but 15 DEX? There's nothing in your background on how you got your powers, and this seems extreme enough that it needs to be explained.

He's the first man to escape from the Chinese super-prison. I figure the government wants him back one way or another, in order to save face.

Ok, since I did not have a background and you were going at it again I was not sure if it was the same person. After the bounty put Chinese Government please, just for a flag for me. As we move toward finalizing the character we will get into specifics.

I tend towards non-standard character backgrounds (i.e. newspaper clippings, short stories), and I haven't had time to condense them into a traditional narrative. I'll get on that.

Thats cool. I just need something to fill in the blanks in the .hdc file.

And I wasn't sure Martial Dodge would really be fair. His base DCV is 9, and he has a +1 All CSL. With Martial Dodge, he'd be able to get a DCV of 15. I wanted to ask if that would be acceptable before I threw it on his sheet.

You want to take a full dodge then I cool with the DCV. It is a dodge after all.

Okay, finally home from work...

I'm going to disagree with Zac - I don't think the SPD/Defenses combo is unbalanced. There are two primary areas for balancing. The first is attacks - higher SPD must be balanced versus higher Damage classes, with OCV taken into account as well. Attack power, attack speed, and attack accuracy are the three parts that need to be examined.

In this case, the high SPD is balanced by a 10d6 main attack (which is melee) and a 5 OCV with no levels. This is balanced...in fact, considering the average DCV is 8, this character will only hit the average supervillain on an 8-. I would personally find that frustrating, even with 7 chances to attack per turn.

The second area of balancing is defenses. Yes, the character has 30/30 defenses...but only a 5 DCV. This character will be hit, and hit often...often enough to justify the defenses. Yes, the STUN is near brick levels...but that's still not enough to make things unbalanced.

There are also less concrete factors, such as the lack of ranged attacks, and the multiple special defenses. I think they balance out for the most part.

That is certainly your choice. My opinion is that I don't think the character is unbalanced mechanically. The larger concern I have is a concept...why is the character so fast, yet (for that level of reaction time) so clumsy? 7 SPD but 15 DEX? There's nothing in your background on how you got your powers, and this seems extreme enough that it needs to be explained.

Those were my lines of thinking as well.

The last part - I can work with. If the other GM agrees I will work to explain the Low Dex/High Speed.

If the other GM does not then it's a moot point.

Alright, wrote in the background and added Martial Dodge.

I also realized that I was spending too many points for SPEED and CSLs when I could just raise his Dex and save a few points. So I did that and eliminated the CSLs, leaving him with the same overall OCV/DCV, but faster reactions. I used the extra points I saved to get the Defensive Maneuver skill.

And, of course, I redid the Disads and modified a perk that didn't fit with his background.

~Gabriel

I have all the characters saved at the office (gasp!) :sneaky: I will look it over tomorrow.

What if the Rajans are just the local arm of some kind of international crime syndicate? Would that work in this campaign world? Could offer some plot hooks' date=' and more motivation for Talwar (he thought he was out, but...)[/quote']

Put International Crime Syndicate down. As we get closer to the start of the campaign I will look at something concrete. My "local" underworld operations are: Tong, Dealer (villain group lead by the Dealer), local gangs, Native American Indians. If I have some PCs from other areas (like Russia) and a new syndicate is needed, I will put them in.

I have ONE global organization in the game, Deathtrap... International Hitmen. Only one has every been identifed, Killzone, and he was killed by a vigalantie (Terminal Velocity) over a decade ago. They specialize in killing people in such a way that is taken as an accident/Act of God kinda thing. You dont want them after you. DO NOT. If someone puts this kind of contract out on you (ahem Bounty), it will be bad. They keep after you until you are dead OR you have done enough damage to their organization you become a liability to keep trying to kill. If that is the case, they kill whoever hired them to kill you :eek: They don't want it known they fail. And they dont :eg:

Changed to Secret ID, dropped the DNPCs. Would love to reduce the Hunteds, but those last few points of Disadvantages are tough to come up with and I hate Unluck. ;) He feels like he has a lot to prove...what about a Rivalry with another hero? Social Lim: needs a green card? Uh...diabetes?

Let me look over your re-submission tomorrow. I will get back to you.

How about this: he was a computer science major before he dropped out, and he's getting ready to go back to school. I'll give him Computer Programming and Electronics, and he can use his powers for Lockpicking.

Ah, something useful! Sounds good.

We have a lot of roleplaying opportunities. I don't want any player to be left out because they put all their points in PS: Painter (Gaming Minatures), KS: RPG and KS: Fantasy Novels. I mean, these are all great skills (chuckes at self) but PS: Forensic Technician, KS: Viral Code, KS: Hacker would be better.

Those were my lines of thinking as well.

The last part - I can work with. If the other GM agrees I will work to explain the Low Dex/High Speed.

If the other GM does not then it's a moot point.

Fed and I talked over Land Line a few minutes ago. As I am still on drugs some of my critical thinking skills don't match as well as they could. My creative skills are on the rise of late though... these dreams are something else:sneaky:

All that said, I give Fed's opinion a HUGE amount of weight. He has been gaming Champions while I was in the Army. AND he has had a lot more face to face gaming time in the last fifteen years (I can measure mine in days, really). I asked him to look over the character (he looks them all over) and he sounded out like I asked him too. I would have prefered he did it in off the boards so I did not look foolish :thumbdown but I can take a hit pretty well. I can also blame a lot of prescription pain killers :smoke:

I completely missed your 15 Dex. I was thinking you had a 25 or a 23. Having a 5 CV means you are going to take just about every hit that comes you way but with 30 defenses it wont matter all that much. Some agents you will be able to hit regularly (the ones with CVs of 4 & 5), but anyone with player level CV (7+) is going to be hard for you. You will get 7 chances a turn to wiff alot. I would consider it frustrating. I think autofire killing attacks is going to be your complete bane. They are going to ding you a lot, and that gives them a lot of chances to get lucky. Body, phhth (no worries) but a 2d6 RKA Autofire... stun could be scarry.

All that said' date=' I give Fed's opinion a HUGE amount of weight. He has been gaming Champions while I was in the Army. AND he has had a lot more face to face gaming time in the last fifteen years (I can measure mine in days, really). I asked him to look over the character (he looks them all over) and he sounded out like I asked him too. I would have prefered he did it in off the boards so I did not look foolish :thumbdown but I can take a hit pretty well. I can also blame a lot of prescription pain killers :smoke:[/quote']

Well, everyone has their off days. As far as time gaming Champions...that isn't always an advantage. I've been playing on and off since the early 80's...which means I have four or five different versions of the rules floating around in my head.

I'll be looking at the following characters tonight: Talwar (from kickback), Raider (from Checkmate), and Ao Kuang (from Vox). I think I've made at least brief comments on everyone else who has submitted a full character sheet. Let me know if there's anyone I missed. I can't promise there will be a lot of detail...I'm busy trying to weave six different characters into one place for the Silverstone game. :)

Haven Walkur, if you want me to comment on stats, I need to see a full character sheet for Chalice. I like the concept...just wondering how it will work out in play. If you're having trouble coming up with the stats, let me know and I'll see what I can do.