Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Please tell me that's new' date=' and I didn't just overlook it. :o[/quote']

It was added yesterday evening.

At the moment Ao Kuang has 8-10 DC attacks as opposed to the standard 9-11 DC for a martial artist (of the same speed and Dex). Should I give him another rank of +1 HTH DC, or would the damage be considered a trade-off for the armor multipower?

I'd have to look over the character in detail. However, the rationale for the martial artist example is as follows. If you have a Martial Punch (+0 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 damage) and a Sacrifice Kick (+1 OCV, -2 DCV, 11d6 damage), the assumption is that you either go with high DCV but low damage, or low DCV but good damage. If a 9 CV character uses the Sacrifice Kick, they're likely to hit (10 OCV) and do good damage (11d6) - but the character will be hammered when a foe gets to attack back (7 DCV, 22 defenses).

Now, if the martial artist took Offensive Strike instead (-2 OCV, +1 DCV, 11d6 damage), then they'll miss more but still maintain a high DCV combined with higher damage than is normally allowed for a 6 SPD character. High DCV plus high damage plus slightly less than average defenses (22 instead of 25) is a no-no. The higher potential for a miss is balanced out by the higher SPD, which means more attacks per turn.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some more international flavor for ya: an Indian brick with some magnetic tricks. Lucky you, I suck at character building - thanks in advance for your patience.

Talwar

-next up on Star Plus, Ganga learns a terrible secret-

- I only give my family Tilda Basmati -

-and in today's Where Are They Now File: Kamal Tariq. The once-promising actor had a career that was remarkable - if only for its brevity. Just two years ago, no one had heard of him. But after a series of racy commercials for Desi Denim, everyone took notice. Soon "that jeans guy" was everywhere, including the arms of starlet Rani Rao. With Tariq's brooding good looks, it's no wonder Bollywood was interested. The smoldering stud made his film debut with a special song appearance in Tanhayee and went on to appear in a half dozen more movies, including the surprise hit Crash Landing.

Some said Tariq was the next big thing. But after going from zero to hero, things started going wrong when he went from hero to superhero. When Tariq revealed that he has superpowers, his career became shaky. Some sources say that producers didn't want to hire him because superpowers mean super-trouble on the set. Others say Tariq was targeted by organized crime. And some say Kamal Tariq just got too big for his jeans and no one could tame his ego. The troubled star began fighting with the press and feuding with established stars. The biggest scandal came when Tariq, who is Muslim, claimed his special abilities were a gift from a Hindu goddess, angering both Hindu and Muslim fundamentalists.

Since then, Tariq has kept a low profile. His agent told us that the king of controversy is currently reviewing offers. But insiders tell us the sexy stud has left Mumbai for good. In fact, he has made no public appearances since walking the runway at New York's fashion week, three months ago. Which makes this segment's title quite literal. Kamal Tariq: where is he now? For ZeeTV, I'm Amrita Singh. Tune in tomorrow -

background/history

You know how everything seems to come easy for some people? Kamal Tariq used to be one of those people. His childhood in Patna was remarkable only for its happiness; the worst thing that happened to him was that as the youngest of three, he was a little spoiled. But his parents, a doctor and a professor, taught him the importance of hard work and a love of learning. He excelled in school and also did well at sports and other extracurricular activities.

Wanting to see more of the world he picked the University of Mumbai for college, and that's when his luck really kicked in. He was spotted by a professional photographer who recruited him for a modeling agency. Kamal was the right face at the right time, and within a year he was getting so much work that he dropped out of college. He used his success to get a foot in the door in the film industry.

What a ride! He was on billboards, on TV commercials, and now he was a movie star! OK, he only got a few supporting roles in some really bad B movies. But it was fun, it was lucrative, and Kamal just knew that if the right opportunity came along he could make it to the A list.

When the big break finally came, it was not as expected. Late one night while on a location shoot in Rajasthan, something woke Tariq up and drew him into the desert. There he met a mysterious figure whose identity seemed to change from moment to moment. Images of historical figures like the warrior king Chandragupta, wise Akbar the Great, even the earth goddess Prithvi all raced through Kamal's head. The being addressed him as "son of the soil" and warned him that in the future India would face a terrible calamity. "The swords of the righteous must defend Hindustan," the messenger intoned as it placed a palm on Kamal's forehead.

Kamal woke up in his hotel room with sand in his clothes and a phenomenal new strength that seemed to come from the land itself. He was too frightened by the mysterious message to dwell on it. Why worry about tomorrow when today you can become the first Bollywood hero who's also a superhero?

He went public with his new powers, and for a few weeks he was the hottest thing in town. Every talk show wanted him, every power player wanted to meet him, and every producer wanted to feature him in an action movie. But the glory was short lived.

Kamal was summoned to a meeting with Chandu Rajan, the Mumbai head of the Rajan gang. The don explained that the Rajans had extensive investments in the film industry, and that no matter who signed Kamal's checks, the actor should consider himself to be working for Rajan. Kamal was to work with Rajan's production companies only. And perhaps use his powers to do the occasional "favor" for the criminal organization.

Tariq stormed out in a rage and went straight to the media. The Rajans struck back with a public smear campaign and some private stringpulling. Suddenly Kamal was persona non grata in Mumbai. Chandu Rajan then called Tariq to make another offer, and hinted that Kamal's family would pay the price for further disobedience. Kamal impetuously promised to kill every last member of the gang if any harm came to his family. It was a bluff, but Rajan decided not to risk it. They agreed on a compromise: the Tariqs would be safe as long as Kamal stayed out of Mumbai.

Disgusted with the corruption he had discovered, and embarrassed to find himself a public laughingstock, Kamal left India altogether. He tried to make a go of it in New York City, but couldn't get steady work as a model or any work as an actor and his money started running out. The demoralized young man finally retreated to Thebes, where he currently lives with relatives. He still gets a few gigs here and there, but he earns most of his money at his cousin's construction firm. When not working or getting to know his new city, he takes self-defense classes and hones his powers.

personality/motivation

Although his recent setbacks left him dispirited and at loose ends, Kamal is basically optimistic, energetic and outgoing. He won't admit that he misses being a celebrity, but he likes to be the center of attention. In general he's a very open and straightforward person, often to the point of naivete. Underneath the goofy boyish charm there are two things he's very serious about: his home and religion. He very much wants to go back to India, but he knows he's not ready yet to take down the Rajans. Meanwhile he's trying to sort out his feelings about god; before receiving his powers seemingly by divine favor, he was an atheist. In his spare time he reads anything and everything on spirituality.

powers/tactics

Talwar is bonded to the planet's magnetic field, allowing him to draw strength and endurance from the earth itself. He can also manipulate the local electromagnetic field to move and reshape metal, and generate bursts of electromagnetic energy.

appearance

Kamal is a tall, striking-looking man in his early 20s with a swimmer's build, angular face and long curly hair. As Talwar he wears tight black pants, a black Tshirt with green trim and talwar emblem, and a black nehru jacket or sherwani.

And attached, first draft of sheet and portrait.

I'd have to look over the character in detail. However, the rationale for the martial artist example is as follows. If you have a Martial Punch (+0 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 damage) and a Sacrifice Kick (+1 OCV, -2 DCV, 11d6 damage), the assumption is that you either go with high DCV but low damage, or low DCV but good damage. If a 9 CV character uses the Sacrifice Kick, they're likely to hit (10 OCV) and do good damage (11d6) - but the character will be hammered when a foe gets to attack back (7 DCV, 22 defenses).

Now, if the martial artist took Offensive Strike instead (-2 OCV, +1 DCV, 11d6 damage), then they'll miss more but still maintain a high DCV combined with higher damage than is normally allowed for a 6 SPD character. High DCV plus high damage plus slightly less than average defenses (22 instead of 25) is a no-no. The higher potential for a miss is balanced out by the higher SPD, which means more attacks per turn.

I took Martial Strike and Sacrifice Strike, he's just doing 1 DC less damage than you suggest. I consider his defenses a wash despite being 2 points lower because he has a Force Wall and activated missile deflection.

~Gabriel

A "unique" character would be based on Flashback technology (shudder). I made the agents up ages ago based on a movie where people would "flash" you with a gun and x amount of time had gone by. So, they use a plethora of weapons that have NND effects based on flash defense. There was usual 1 or 2 of them per PC, with very minimal in the way of killing attacks (they did have an RKA Synaptic Rifle - Annurism, etc). Entangles based on EGO vs normal people = people staring into space a long darn time, NND Based on touch (Shudder Gernades), etc. Very, very nasty. The first time a hero group runs into Flashback, Flashback gets away... every time. Second time, its anyones guess. Third time, the gig is up... players dont hold back or they have invented anti Flashback techniques.

Fed was adamant he would not be pleased if they showed up in Thebes, as Inertia would get owned ;)

I say this because a character based on "company/prime" interdiction work would be kinda neat. I would stay away from wetwork in my history :mad:. Think of items the government would use to capture Primes and have at it.

I think a more or less normal guy, with some advanced armor and some tools of the trade is very doable on 350 points. Throw in some law enforcement abilities (FED: How much would PIT License be? 5 or 10 points?) and contacts... you would have a solid character. I mean, all you really need to be a lawman is some decent armor and a gun. Judge Dread did it for how long? :D

I thought that movie was cool as a kid.

If I were to build the Looker device in 5ER, I would probably go with a Mental Paralysis Entangle that Stops all Sense Groups plus Detect Time with the OAF, Charges, and Requires Eye Contact limitations.

Okay here's my first draft of the Batman-esque

Raider

Player: Checkmate

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

29 DEX 57

23 CON 26

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

8/14 PD 4

8/14 ED 3

6 SPD 21

10 REC 2

46 END 0

35 STUN 3

9" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 159

Cost Power

2 Strong Will: Mental Defense (5 points total)

6 Athletic: Running +3" (9" total)

12 Microweave Costume: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20 Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Boomarang: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4)

1u 2) Grapple Gun: Swinging 20", No Gravity Penalty (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)

1u 4) Re-breather: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 44

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Krav Maga

4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 2) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND

4 3) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm roll

4 4) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 5) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

3 6) Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 40 STR for holding on

5 7) Kick/Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

4 8) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

3 9) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Boomarang-Fu

4 1) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC

5 3) Offensive Trip: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike +v/5, Target Falls

5 4) Offensive Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +2, Disarm, +2 DC to Disarm

Martial Arts Cost: 63

Cost Skill

10 +1 Overall

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 14-

3 Forensic Medicine 14-

2 CK: Thebes 11-

2 KS: Espianage World 11-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Security Systems 14-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 14-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Tactics 14-

Skills Cost: 62

Cost Perk

10 Future Expenditure

Perks Cost: 10

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Psychological Limitation: Disillusioned Super-Patriot (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Sentry Program (Uncommon, Strong)

5 Hunted: Sentry Initiative 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Dark Secret: Help Create the Sentry Initutive (Occasionally, Major)

15 Dependent NPC: Son 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Enraged: Son Threatened (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 14-

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 5

Alright, everyone, am I just retarded, or do you have a third, different web based tool you're using to create character sketches? Because I'm going to the one that's in Portugese and I am not seeing how to get anything but a straight on perspective, nothing like the drawings that Fed did for Engram, or that Checkmate did for Raider...

Alright' date=' everyone, am I just retarded, or do you have a third, different web based tool you're using to create character sketches? Because I'm going to the one that's in Portugese and I am not seeing how to get anything but a straight on perspective, nothing like the drawings that Fed did for Engram, or that Checkmate did for Raider...[/quote']

It was in the thread "A DC Animated-style HeroMachine". I linked to the post that has a downloadable version of the initial program earlier in this thread, though I don't have time to dig for it right now.

Application For Catalyst:Thebes

Character Concept: Fast Brick

Stat Block:

Tasha Chernova

Player:

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

15 DEX 15

28 CON 36

19 BODY 18

13 INT 3

12 EGO 4

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

12/30 PD 6

12/30 ED 6

7 SPD 45

12 REC 0

56 END 0

48 STUN 0

20" RUN 28

10" SWIM 8

8" LEAP 2

Characteristics Cost: 197

Cost Power

54 Unbreakable: Armor (18 PD/18 ED)

9 Unmutable: Power Defense (9 points)

7 Hardened Mind: Mental Defense (9 points total)

8 Umoveable Object: Knockback Resistance -4"

18 Altered Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)

13 Hits Like A Truck: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 109

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 CuK: Indian 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 Gambling 12-

3 KS: Buddhism 12-

3 KS: Cars 12-

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

2 Language: Hindi (fluent conversation)

0 Language: Russian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Mechanic 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

Skills Cost: 44

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Tattoos (sleeves, back of the neck) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Authorities 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Hunted: Old Enemies 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Fearless (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Initiate Violence/Pacifist (Very Common, Strong) [Notes: This doesn't mean she won't finish a fight. But she will never start one.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Vegitarian (Uncommon, Total)

10 Reputation: Criminal, 11-

10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Criminal Record (Ex-Con) (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Vegitarian (Occasionally, Minor)

Background, Etc:

Tasha grew up a first generation Russian Immigrant, her parents were poor there, and poor here. She still has a hint of a Russian accent as she didn't learn English until she got to school. Tasha had a tough life as a child, while she excelled at sports, being excellent as track and swimming, she never did well socially, and she grew up tall quickly, another factor to make her a target. Even before she becaome Prime she was stronger than most of the boys. As a teenager she dirfted towards street life, and eventually right into actual criminal activity. By nineteen she'd been arrested on several felony charges. She was in jail until twenty-five, shortened sentence as part of a plea bargain and good behavior. The experience turned her around, she wanted nothing but a quiet straight life. Sadly being an ex-con works against one most of the time.

She drifted around the country, finally ending up in Northern Califnornia dead broke, and losing hope. She ended up living in a very small Indian neighborhood, and got hired by a mechanic. He taught her most of what she knows, as well as many Buddhist tennents. She stayed with him for several years, become Buddhist, actually getting professional training as a Mechanic and learning a lot of her neighbors culture.

After years of little contact her mother finally managed to get a hold of her - her father had passed away. Tasha went back east for the funeral, going home gave her the same sense of helplessness and being lost as she had in her youth. Taking it as a sign she began wandering the country again.

Her powers came to her attention when she was involved in a car accident, a drunk driver swerved into her as she walked down a street one night, the car was totaled, the driver hospitalized, Tasha was completely unharmed.

Personality -

Tasha comes off as either too serious or dour to most people. She's quiet and very slow to anger. Tasha tries very had to keep a calm collected mood, and is almost afraid to let her emotions out, she's afraid that all she'll find is resentment and anger inside herself. Once she opens up to someone she's friendly. Though she can fake personable when needed.

Quote -

You can hit me again, or you can come quietly. If I have to hit you things could get ugly.

Tactics -

Tasha is very fast, and very tough. She has no serious combat training, and does all she can to avoid fighting in the first place. She's not amazingly strong but if she has space to get moving she can still pack a solid hit when absolutely necessary. Even if she does get invovled in a fight she simply takes the hits and extricates herself from the situation. If others are involved, especially fragile innocents she'll either get them clear or as an absolute last resort fight back.

Appearance -

Tasha is a tall woman of Russian decent, with a well toned athlete's body. She's in her late twenties, she keeps her jet black hair cut short. She prefers earth tones. Since she already has a criminal record and has to register with the local police anyways, she doesn't bother with a mask or even attempt to disguise herself. She has distinctive tattoo sleeves and a flow tattooed on the back of her neck as well.

Height: 6'2 Weight: 183 Eyes: Grey Hair: Black

HDC and Image attached

(there is a 2nd character I'm working up for consideration, but am still working through a background I like and a powerset that won't cause any right minded GM to lynch me... I got out of hand on the first go)

Chalice -- Alice "Ali" Mattheson, former singer with heavy metal band Mercy Brown, and currently mistress of the elemental waters. Chalice is a water elementalist who can generate and project water...as well as playing a number of little tricks with the wet stuff.

I'd like to submit Chalice for consideration for the Catalyst campaign...but I'm still struggling to get her into a submission-ready form. This PC was built for a different game -- and built with a lot of GM input -- and I'm still tinkering with the power set, trying to work out what we did back then, and why.

I don't think she'll be ready to submit until next Wednesday. If that's too late to have the character considered, please just let me know.

Chalice has an Offensive and a Defensive Multipower of water effects; not just attacks and defenses, but some environmental effects too, like darkness vs normal vision ("fog"), and change environment to create wet/slippery conditions ("slippery when wet").

However, there's something strange going on with the builds of the two Multipowers, and also with Chalice's Armour/Damage Reduction powers; I'm still trying to puzzle out the write-ups. Plus there are powers Chalice has and I don't know why, AND there are ones she doesn't have, and I don't know why not....

Chalice should be a Jack of all trades, master of none; she should be able to do something of most things, though the other PCs are going to be a lot better at specific things. So with any luck, when I'm finished with her she'll be a versatile and useful character -- and hopefully a good addition to the group.

Appearance:

Ali's 5'8, lean and fit-looking, even though she takes lousy care of herself. She's rarely seen without her sunglasses, or a cigarette in her hand. She has fair skin, hooded gray eyes and a long shaggy pelt of black hair, usually worn loose; she's a good-looking lady.

When she blinks, there's a quick iridescent glisten from the nictitating membranes on her eyes -- her "third eyelids". Her tattoos -- dark leafy vines winding around both her arms from wrist to shoulder -- are visible when she wears anything less than full sleeves. Like a cat, Ali goes from extremes of physical activity to apparent boneless relaxation and back again very quickly. She often appears half-asleep when relaxed, even when she's actually quite alert...it's those hooded eyes, what the poets used to call "slumbrous."

Disadvantages

5 Distinctive features: third eyelid (nictitating membranes on eyes) [Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognized, Detectable By Sight]

5 Distinctive features: tattoos (dark vines wrapped around both arms) [Easily Concealed, Noticed & Recognized, Detectable by Sight]

20 Hunted: uncle, the Reverend Laurence Mattheson (aka Obeah Fortunatis, the Conjure Man); [More powerful, Harshly punish, NCI, Appears 8-]

15 Psychological Limitation: Cult of Toughness; always wants to prove by word or deed that she's "tougher than thou". [Common, Strong]

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing [Common, Strong]

10 Psychological Limitation: Superstitious [Common, Moderate]

5 Reputation: That satanist heavy metal singer [8-]

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity, Alice Mattheson [Frequently, Major]

10 Social Limitation: Harmful Secret [Occasionally, Major] – there’s a death in her past

Personality:

Ali’s strong-willed and strong-minded, and she’s turned that strength to recreating herself as a “tough customer,” too tough to be emotionally hurt by any of the things people do...or have done. Ali is tough, though not as tough as she thinks she is, and perhaps not in the ways she thinks; her toughness is an ability to endure things and carry on regardless, rather than making her “untouchable.”

She constantly struggles not to be “like her father,” whom she regards as the font of all evils. Ali tries, mostly successfully these days, to control her stubbornness and impatience, and most of all, her temper.

She has a hatred of unfairness, especially unfair blame and unfair punishment; she had it literally beaten into her by her father and grandparents. Ali still has a problem with authority in general. She’s a loyal friend and does her best to be a bad enemy.

Music in all its forms is her passion, but especially vocal music. She loves to sing, and sings a lot; she has a vocal range like Geddy Lee in his early days with “Rush”, and the power of “Motorhead’s” Lemmy. Despite being quick-witted and educated, Ali is very superstitious; perhaps that’s what makes her secretly a Romantic.

She really does want to save the world, and damn the cost to her.

hehe... I suppose I should have renamed it Psychological Advantage :)

Or you could reflavor it as a limited form of Life Support. Longevity: 7 years, perhaps? :thumbup:

~Gabriel

P.S. Not trying to start a carnivore/herbivore argument, just kidding around.

Or you could reflavor it as a limited form of Life Support. Longevity: 7 years' date=' perhaps? :thumbup:[/quote']

Not the way my wife eats. She admits to being a "junk food vegetarian"...

As a card-carrying carnivore married to a vegetarian, I'm staying away from the "vegetarian as disadvantage" argument.

I resent the idea of taking vegetarian as a psychological limitation. ;)

~Gabriel

Does that mean, when I write up the character sheet for me, I get to take a psych lim for Carnitarian?

Remember the credo of the Carnitarians: "If it's green, it's trouble, if it's fried, order double."

Here's some more international flavor for ya: an Indian brick with some magnetic tricks. Lucky you, I suck at character building - thanks in advance for your patience.

Talwar

-next up on Star Plus, Ganga learns a terrible secret-

- I only give my family Tilda Basmati -

-and in today's Where Are They Now File: Kamal Tariq. The once-promising actor had a career that was remarkable - if only for its brevity. Just two years ago, no one had heard of him. But after a series of racy commercials for Desi Denim, everyone took notice. Soon "that jeans guy" was everywhere, including the arms of starlet Rani Rao. With Tariq's brooding good looks, it's no wonder Bollywood was interested. The smoldering stud made his film debut with a special song appearance in Tanhayee and went on to appear in a half dozen more movies, including the surprise hit Crash Landing.

Some said Tariq was the next big thing. But after going from zero to hero, things started going wrong when he went from hero to superhero. When Tariq revealed that he has superpowers, his career became shaky. Some sources say that producers didn't want to hire him because superpowers mean super-trouble on the set. Others say Tariq was targeted by organized crime. And some say Kamal Tariq just got too big for his jeans and no one could tame his ego. The troubled star began fighting with the press and feuding with established stars. The biggest scandal came when Tariq, who is Muslim, claimed his special abilities were a gift from a Hindu goddess, angering both Hindu and Muslim fundamentalists.

Since then, Tariq has kept a low profile. His agent told us that the king of controversy is currently reviewing offers. But insiders tell us the sexy stud has left Mumbai for good. In fact, he has made no public appearances since walking the runway at New York's fashion week, three months ago. Which makes this segment's title quite literal. Kamal Tariq: where is he now? For ZeeTV, I'm Amrita Singh. Tune in tomorrow -

background/history

You know how everything seems to come easy for some people? Kamal Tariq used to be one of those people. His childhood in Patna was remarkable only for its happiness; the worst thing that happened to him was that as the youngest of three, he was a little spoiled. But his parents, a doctor and a professor, taught him the importance of hard work and a love of learning. He excelled in school and also did well at sports and other extracurricular activities.

Wanting to see more of the world he picked the University of Mumbai for college, and that's when his luck really kicked in. He was spotted by a professional photographer who recruited him for a modeling agency. Kamal was the right face at the right time, and within a year he was getting so much work that he dropped out of college. He used his success to get a foot in the door in the film industry.

What a ride! He was on billboards, on TV commercials, and now he was a movie star! OK, he only got a few supporting roles in some really bad B movies. But it was fun, it was lucrative, and Kamal just knew that if the right opportunity came along he could make it to the A list.

When the big break finally came, it was not as expected. Late one night while on a location shoot in Rajasthan, something woke Tariq up and drew him into the desert. There he met a mysterious figure whose identity seemed to change from moment to moment. Images of historical figures like the warrior king Chandragupta, wise Akbar the Great, even the earth goddess Prithvi all raced through Kamal's head. The being addressed him as "son of the soil" and warned him that in the future India would face a terrible calamity. "The swords of the righteous must defend Hindustan," the messenger intoned as it placed a palm on Kamal's forehead.

Kamal woke up in his hotel room with sand in his clothes and a phenomenal new strength that seemed to come from the land itself. He was too frightened by the mysterious message to dwell on it. Why worry about tomorrow when today you can become the first Bollywood hero who's also a superhero?

He went public with his new powers, and for a few weeks he was the hottest thing in town. Every talk show wanted him, every power player wanted to meet him, and every producer wanted to feature him in an action movie. But the glory was short lived.

Kamal was summoned to a meeting with Chandu Rajan, the Mumbai head of the Rajan gang. The don explained that the Rajans had extensive investments in the film industry, and that no matter who signed Kamal's checks, the actor should consider himself to be working for Rajan. Kamal was to work with Rajan's production companies only. And perhaps use his powers to do the occasional "favor" for the criminal organization.

Tariq stormed out in a rage and went straight to the media. The Rajans struck back with a public smear campaign and some private stringpulling. Suddenly Kamal was persona non grata in Mumbai. Chandu Rajan then called Tariq to make another offer, and hinted that Kamal's family would pay the price for further disobedience. Kamal impetuously promised to kill every last member of the gang if any harm came to his family. It was a bluff, but Rajan decided not to risk it. They agreed on a compromise: the Tariqs would be safe as long as Kamal stayed out of Mumbai.

Disgusted with the corruption he had discovered, and embarrassed to find himself a public laughingstock, Kamal left India altogether. He tried to make a go of it in New York City, but couldn't get steady work as a model or any work as an actor and his money started running out. The demoralized young man finally retreated to Thebes, where he currently lives with relatives. He still gets a few gigs here and there, but he earns most of his money at his cousin's construction firm. When not working or getting to know his new city, he takes self-defense classes and hones his powers.

personality/motivation

Although his recent setbacks left him dispirited and at loose ends, Kamal is basically optimistic, energetic and outgoing. He won't admit that he misses being a celebrity, but he likes to be the center of attention. In general he's a very open and straightforward person, often to the point of naivete. Underneath the goofy boyish charm there are two things he's very serious about: his home and religion. He very much wants to go back to India, but he knows he's not ready yet to take down the Rajans. Meanwhile he's trying to sort out his feelings about god; before receiving his powers seemingly by divine favor, he was an atheist. In his spare time he reads anything and everything on spirituality.

powers/tactics

Talwar is bonded to the planet's magnetic field, allowing him to draw strength and endurance from the earth itself. He can also manipulate the local electromagnetic field to move and reshape metal, and generate bursts of electromagnetic energy.

appearance

Kamal is a tall, striking-looking man in his early 20s with a swimmer's build, angular face and long curly hair. As Talwar he wears tight black pants, a black Tshirt with green trim and talwar emblem, and a black nehru jacket or sherwani.

And attached, first draft of sheet and portrait.

I will try and look your submission over today.

Okay here's my first draft of the Batman-esque

Raider

Player: Checkmate

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

29 DEX 57

23 CON 26

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

8/14 PD 4

8/14 ED 3

6 SPD 21

10 REC 2

46 END 0

35 STUN 3

9" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

4" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 159

Cost Power

2 Strong Will: Mental Defense (5 points total)

6 Athletic: Running +3" (9" total)

12 Microweave Costume: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20 Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Boomarang: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4)

1u 2) Grapple Gun: Swinging 20", No Gravity Penalty (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)

1u 4) Re-breather: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 44

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Krav Maga

4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 2) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND

4 3) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm roll

4 4) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 5) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

3 6) Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 40 STR for holding on

5 7) Kick/Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

4 8) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

3 9) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Boomarang-Fu

4 1) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC

5 3) Offensive Trip: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike +v/5, Target Falls

5 4) Offensive Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +2, Disarm, +2 DC to Disarm

Martial Arts Cost: 63

Cost Skill

10 +1 Overall

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 14-

3 Forensic Medicine 14-

2 CK: Thebes 11-

2 KS: Espianage World 11-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Security Systems 14-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 14-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Tactics 14-

Skills Cost: 62

Cost Perk

10 Future Expenditure

Perks Cost: 10

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Talents Cost: 12

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Psychological Limitation: Disillusioned Super-Patriot (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Sentry Program (Uncommon, Strong)

5 Hunted: Sentry Initiative 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Dark Secret: Help Create the Sentry Initutive (Occasionally, Major)

15 Dependent NPC: Son 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Enraged: Son Threatened (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 14-

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 5

I will try to look yours over today as well. BTW, nice pic!

Not until just now.

D'oh! I didn't realize we were so far south that we were, in fact, in Mississippi!

I wanted a name that really synched into the area. Since Memphis is nearby, and there is this BIG river... :)

I really struggled with the campaign location. I wanted to put in in the NE on a bay in Washington State, but we already have campaign cities in Silverstone, CO and Bayport, CA. I did not want one on the southern coast and central Texas is out too. That left me with the central US or the East Coast. I did not want the East Coast (to much real world history already there). So, I decided on a river city and bingo.

We have the potential for history as far back as the 1700s easily and 1600s with a little work. Native American issue, water rights issue, etc. We even have all the recent flooding along the Mississippi River in the last year or so.

I am really a BUILDER when it comes to campaigns. Ask Fed, I get INTO in the history to make a game. I usual make "modules" have a feel with critical junctures and wing it from there (works well in any urban setting). Dungeon crawling, no so much :rolleyes:. Thebes will be a bit of both. Each Character will start out with one plot thread and I will make more threads for characters as time goes on. The story stands alone, but can be woven into the character threads. The first story will be a push scenario... I PUSH you there. After that it is a pull based system, you pull each other into the scenarios. Some threads are red herring, others are not and others are all bad. The first adventure is already complete, I just have to understand how to pull you into it from here :D

Application For Catalyst:Thebes

Character Concept: Fast Brick

Stat Block:

Tasha Chernova

Player:

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

15 DEX 15

28 CON 36

19 BODY 18

13 INT 3

12 EGO 4

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

12/30 PD 6

12/30 ED 6

7 SPD 45

12 REC 0

56 END 0

48 STUN 0

20" RUN 28

10" SWIM 8

8" LEAP 2

Characteristics Cost: 197

Cost Power

54 Unbreakable: Armor (18 PD/18 ED)

9 Unmutable: Power Defense (9 points)

7 Hardened Mind: Mental Defense (9 points total)

8 Umoveable Object: Knockback Resistance -4"

18 Altered Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)

13 Hits Like A Truck: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 109

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 CuK: Indian 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 Gambling 12-

3 KS: Buddhism 12-

3 KS: Cars 12-

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

2 Language: Hindi (fluent conversation)

0 Language: Russian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Mechanic 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

Skills Cost: 44

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Tattoos (sleeves, back of the neck) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Authorities 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Hunted: Old Enemies 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Fearless (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Initiate Violence/Pacifist (Very Common, Strong) [Notes: This doesn't mean she won't finish a fight. But she will never start one.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Vegitarian (Uncommon, Total)

10 Reputation: Criminal, 11-

10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Criminal Record (Ex-Con) (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Vegitarian (Occasionally, Minor)

Background, Etc:

Tasha grew up a first generation Russian Immigrant, her parents were poor there, and poor here. She still has a hint of a Russian accent as she didn't learn English until she got to school. Tasha had a tough life as a child, while she excelled at sports, being excellent as track and swimming, she never did well socially, and she grew up tall quickly, another factor to make her a target. Even before she becaome Prime she was stronger than most of the boys. As a teenager she dirfted towards street life, and eventually right into actual criminal activity. By nineteen she'd been arrested on several felony charges. She was in jail until twenty-five, shortened sentence as part of a plea bargain and good behavior. The experience turned her around, she wanted nothing but a quiet straight life. Sadly being an ex-con works against one most of the time.

She drifted around the country, finally ending up in Northern Califnornia dead broke, and losing hope. She ended up living in a very small Indian neighborhood, and got hired by a mechanic. He taught her most of what she knows, as well as many Buddhist tennents. She stayed with him for several years, become Buddhist, actually getting professional training as a Mechanic and learning a lot of her neighbors culture.

After years of little contact her mother finally managed to get a hold of her - her father had passed away. Tasha went back east for the funeral, going home gave her the same sense of helplessness and being lost as she had in her youth. Taking it as a sign she began wandering the country again.

Her powers came to her attention when she was involved in a car accident, a drunk driver swerved into her as she walked down a street one night, the car was totaled, the driver hospitalized, Tasha was completely unharmed.

Personality -

Tasha comes off as either too serious or dour to most people. She's quiet and very slow to anger. Tasha tries very had to keep a calm collected mood, and is almost afraid to let her emotions out, she's afraid that all she'll find is resentment and anger inside herself. Once she opens up to someone she's friendly. Though she can fake personable when needed.

Quote -

You can hit me again, or you can come quietly. If I have to hit you things could get ugly.

Tactics -

Tasha is very fast, and very tough. She has no serious combat training, and does all she can to avoid fighting in the first place. She's not amazingly strong but if she has space to get moving she can still pack a solid hit when absolutely necessary. Even if she does get invovled in a fight she simply takes the hits and extricates herself from the situation. If others are involved, especially fragile innocents she'll either get them clear or as an absolute last resort fight back.

Appearance -

Tasha is a tall woman of Russian decent, with a well toned athlete's body. She's in her late twenties, she keeps her jet black hair cut short. She prefers earth tones. Since she already has a criminal record and has to register with the local police anyways, she doesn't bother with a mask or even attempt to disguise herself. She has distinctive tattoo sleeves and a flow tattooed on the back of her neck as well.

Height: 6'2 Weight: 183 Eyes: Grey Hair: Black

HDC and Image attached

(there is a 2nd character I'm working up for consideration, but am still working through a background I like and a powerset that won't cause any right minded GM to lynch me... I got out of hand on the first go)

I will try and look this one over today as well.