Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

I'm considering this as an updated backstory for Engram. Little has changed about his past, but his present has been updated for a little more chance to get out and about. If you think this will work better, I'll update disads and skills to suit.

Armando Gonzales was the born into a large, but poor family in Sugar Hill. The seventh child of seven, no one was terribly surprised when Armando seemed to have a lot of imaginary friends. Perfectly normal, the school psychologist said, for a child who can't be the center of attention for his parents to invent people who give him their undivided attention. Everything was fine, in fact, until one of Armando's imaginary friends showed up on their front porch.

The woman, for a real woman it was, introduced herself as Dr. Masterson, a young researcher from up in Thebes proper. She told Armando's parents that he had contacted her telepathically, and said he was trying to find a friend, and he wondered if she would be his friend. At first, she played along, but over time came to realize two things. First, if Armando had been casting about for friends using his innate psychic abilities, it seemed likely that he might be contacted, eventually, but someone who didn't have his best interests at heart. And second, that given that she had had to drive a significant distance to find the family, Armando must be a very powerful psychic indeed.

Armando's parents, along with Dr. Masterson, found some researchers at UT who were only too happy to help test out some of Armando's abilities. As Dr. Masterson had predicted, Armando was especially gifted for a boy of ten, with the potential for a significant increase in that power when he hit puberty. The university staff offered to provide an environment where Armando could safely explore the limits of his power and grow into them in a controlled way. Armando's parents agreed, and Armando became a regular at the UT Metahuman Studies department.

In addition to being able to read and send thoughts across great distances, Armando proved to have access to a whole suite of possible tools. He could create images that were so realistic that people at first thought he was in fact a latent summoner. In one competition with another budding mentalist, Armando, now sixteen, accidentally knocked the other man unconscious.

As soon as he turned eighteen, Armando applied for, and was quickly accepted, at UT, taking classes in Metahuman Studies from professors who had been like surrogate parents for him. Having grown up poor, it was only through grants and loans that he can attend the university.

After attaining his Masters degree in Metahuman Studies, he stayed with the university as an associated professor. He’s working at a leisurely pace on his PhD, teaching classes to undergraduates, and serving as a consultant to governmental and law enforcement agencies, called in often when Primes issues are involved, both in an investigative and a consultatory role.

To add to some more drama to his life, he's found himself involved in a relationship with his former mentor and patron, Dr. Tamara Masterson. No one - not his family or hers - is aware of this change in their relationship.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback time! I'm going to give brief feedback on each of the characters I mentioned in my earlier post.

Talwar

Characteristics - there's a few things you can do if you want to be more point efficient., but nothing to raise a red flag.

Powers - The Transform...maybe I'm misreading this...but without a limitation, you can transform anything into any metal, instead of one metal into another. The Micro EMP is okay...though I'd switch the limitation to "electronics or targets vulnerable to EMP attacks". Also...do you really need the Damage Resistance versus PD? 24 rPD is better than tank armor. Even the brick for the Silverstone group maxes out at 16rPD (with her multipower in Armor).

Skills are...okay. A lot are going to be of limited application (you bought up AK: India beyond the base INT roll?). I'll leave this one to Zac to examine in more detail.

Disadvantages - You have glory hound, melodramatic, and vain...these all seem to cover similar territory. Maybe they should be combined into a single, more encompassing Psych Lim? As far as the "poor" disadvantage...I find it hard to believe a guy who can lift a tractor-trailer can't find a job that pays rent...especially when you also have acting skills. By comparison, Miracle (in the Silverstone game) has no performing skills and is only slightly better looking than average, and she's a well-off celebrity. You should have some dice of Unluck if you go that route.

Background - Seems okay, but your ties to India seem to be stronger than your ties to Thebes, which could be a problem.

Raider

Characteristics - Training can take you a long way, and justifies a 6 SPD...but 29 DEX is high. Anything beyond a 27, in my opinion, means you have superhuman ability related to your powers. 29 is a speedster-class DEX. INT is pretty high...but I'm getting a Batman vibe. More on that when I examine skills. CON is also a bit high...but if you're pushing the top edge of human capability, it's within reason.

Powers - All of these look fine.

Martial Arts - You have a 11 DCV while using your 8d6 melee attack, and a 10 DCV while using your 10d6 melee attack...before counting in your overall level. Even the offensive shot does 10d6 at range while maintaining a 9 DCV (10 DCV with overall level). I would suggest lowering DEX to 26, which would balance things out. You may even be able to convince Zac of allowing a second Overall Level if the DEX is lowered, and 2 levels can be used to up damage by +1d6.

Skills - All decent, though I was expecting to see a few more knowledge skills (perhaps combined with scholar). Also, if you contributed to the Sentry Initiative...I'd consider looking at Computer Programing, Electronics, Mechanics, and/or Inventor. Same thing applies if you made your own utility belt. You have a few skills you could skip (or drop to 8-) if you need points...Seduction tops that list.

Disadvantages - Enraged (son threatened)...I certainly understand that as a father, but that's pretty strong. Basically, if a mugger pulls a knife on your kid and tells you to hand your wallet over, you'll flip out and possibly kill the guy, CvK or no CvK. You may get your kid killed in the process, and get brought up on charges for excessive force. One good roll with a 10d6 attack will take a mugger to negative BODY. Since you've gained 15 disad points from it (20 including the DNPC), the situation WILL come up. I'll let Zac comment on the rest of the disads.

Ao Kuang

To be honest, I liked him better as a brick with some martial arts and elemental abilities than a martial artist with elemental abilities. The former seemed more interesting to me. Also, if you're worried about overlap with Haven Walkur's character, would you be willing to switch your element from water to something else?

Characteristics - Pay the extra 2 points to take CON to 23, and you end up saving 5 points on secondary stats. Or drop CON to 18-21 to save a few points. DEX is high...see my comments to Raider. However, at least your main attack gives a penalty to DCV. Everything else seems fine.

Powers - If you're short on points, you could drop the leaping to x4 noncombat. I'm really not thrilled with buying Does Knockback on an attack that has a base cost of 3 points/die...seems to be an obvious powergaming move (versus buying a double knockback EB). If you really want an attack that knocks someone back, put a few more points in the multipower and make a 6d6 double knockback EB for 52 active points. Same average KB, and does a little damage as well (which makes sense for a water blast). The higher-point multipower also lets you improve PD on your Force Wall, and makes the TK a bit more useful.

Martial Arts - You could take the attacks up +1d6 and still be acceptable, since you have no combat levels and drop DCV to 8 with your high-damage attack. It's on the edge, but I'd allow it. If you drop DEX to 26, not only would I allow it...I'd highly recommend it.

Skills - A lot of your noncombat skills are tied up in languages and weapon knowledge. I'd personally recommend dropping the Defense Maneuver to a lower level and getting a few more points in noncombat skills.

Disadvantages - I haven't dug through the Master List of Limitations, but offhand I think "Reformed Criminal" is a Social Limitation, and "Detached from Humanity" is a Psychological Limitation, not the other way around. Bounty and Escaped Felon is double-dipping (or triple-dipping with Reformed Criminal as a Social Lim). Jade appears to be your kryptonite...but is a bit more common than a rock from outer space. Overall, I think you need to go back and do some more work on the disadvantages.

Okay, I've made the appropriate changes to The Ward. About my only concern is that she is on the edge of town; her response time to anywhere but The Bends (River District), Cinder City, Switchback and the Market District is going to be slower than the rest. Given that I want her to have the classic Old Haunted Mansion in a 'bad' part of town, this might be unavoidable.

Surprisingly, I'm not sure why, but she's not for the Rookery. I'm actually tempted to take the River District- central River District- because that seems like a nice hotbed as well.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard?

Okay, I've made the appropriate changes to The Ward. About my only concern is that she is on the edge of town; her response time to anywhere but The Bends (River District), Cinder City, Switchback and the Market District is going to be slower than the rest. Given that I want her to have the classic Old Haunted Mansion in a 'bad' part of town, this might be unavoidable.

Surprisingly, I'm not sure why, but she's not for the Rookery. I'm actually tempted to take the River District- central River District- because that seems like a nice hotbed as well.

Something about this campaign world tends to make me do that, as well.

To be honest' date=' I liked him better as a brick with some martial arts and elemental abilities than a martial artist with elemental abilities. The former seemed more interesting to me.[/quote']

I did too, but Zac told me to specialize. I didn't know how else to do that without making the character unrecognizeable.

Characteristics - Pay the extra 2 points to take CON to 23' date=' and you end up saving 5 points on secondary stats. Or drop CON to 18-21 to save a few points. DEX is high...see my comments to Raider. However, at least your main attack gives a penalty to DCV. Everything else seems fine.[/quote']

I was using Black Arachnia from Silverstone as a reference. She's Dex 29 and DC 10, so I thought it would be acceptable. No big. I can switch back down.

Powers - If you're short on points' date=' you could drop the leaping to x4 noncombat. I'm [b']really not thrilled[/b] with buying Does Knockback on an attack that has a base cost of 3 points/die...seems to be an obvious powergaming move (versus buying a double knockback EB). If you really want an attack that knocks someone back, put a few more points in the multipower and make a 6d6 double knockback EB for 52 active points. Same average KB, and does a little damage as well (which makes sense for a water blast). The higher-point multipower also lets you improve PD on your Force Wall, and makes the TK a bit more useful.

I got the idea of a Flash doing KB from Steve Long's UNTIL Superpowers Database. I'm not that attached to it by any means, but it wasn't a powergaming choice...

Disadvantages - I haven't dug through the Master List of Limitations' date=' but offhand I think "Reformed Criminal" is a Social Limitation, and "Detached from Humanity" is a Psychological Limitation, not the other way around. Bounty and Escaped Felon is double-dipping (or triple-dipping with Reformed Criminal as a Social Lim). Jade appears to be your kryptonite...but is a bit more common than a rock from outer space. Overall, I think you need to go back and do some more work on the disadvantages.[/quote']

Zac told me to make Reformed Criminal a Psychological Limitation, and Detached From Humanity is a Social Limitation according to the database. I can remove a few of the conviction-related disads, no problem. :)

~Gabriel

Fed and I talked over Land Line a few minutes ago. As I am still on drugs some of my critical thinking skills don't match as well as they could. My creative skills are on the rise of late though... these dreams are something else:sneaky:

All that said, I give Fed's opinion a HUGE amount of weight. He has been gaming Champions while I was in the Army. AND he has had a lot more face to face gaming time in the last fifteen years (I can measure mine in days, really). I asked him to look over the character (he looks them all over) and he sounded out like I asked him too. I would have prefered he did it in off the boards so I did not look foolish :thumbdown but I can take a hit pretty well. I can also blame a lot of prescription pain killers :smoke:

I completely missed your 15 Dex. I was thinking you had a 25 or a 23. Having a 5 CV means you are going to take just about every hit that comes you way but with 30 defenses it wont matter all that much. Some agents you will be able to hit regularly (the ones with CVs of 4 & 5), but anyone with player level CV (7+) is going to be hard for you. You will get 7 chances a turn to wiff alot. I would consider it frustrating. I think autofire killing attacks is going to be your complete bane. They are going to ding you a lot, and that gives them a lot of chances to get lucky. Body, phhth (no worries) but a 2d6 RKA Autofire... stun could be scarry.

That's fine - my basic problem was not that you found some issues with the character but the way you worded things was telling me you felt I built my character incorrectly for my concept. And then dictated changes with a (I felt) snide shot of "did you even read these guidelines" ...

Have you? Your guidelines outline a few basic Archetypes rather well. And if you look closely at them you will notice that each one picks around 2 areas in which they are strong - I happened to have chosen Defense and Speed.

The character is an inexperienced combatant - I don't want them to start off the campaign being able to compete in that arena full force.

Autofire KAs aren't exactly friendly to anyone. But 7 SPD means I have actions to use Dodge and not lose offensive capability. There are plenty of ways to mitigate things like this.

I've read through how Fed and how you have looked over characters. I would suggest taking a moment and watch his approach - he ended his analysis of my character with a few questions - you did nothing but dictate what changes needed to be made. I find this approach moderately insulting, I can't speak for others whose characters you've gone over.

You did ask one question - why buy HAs and not more STR. If I wanted the character to have more lifting power I would have bought more STR. I do not want them to have high lifting capability, hence 30 STR. They aren't "strongest person on Earth" they are "difficult to take down"

As for High Speed/Low Dex - why does someone who is fast have to be nimble in the first place?

She has speed on her side, reaction time is excellent, reflexes are decent (though compared to a "normal" her reflexes are rather good... compared to a super her reflexes could use some work). She needs training and field experience. She may not be the most graceful person on the field, but she sure is johnny-on-the-spot. It's a growth area.

I'll think about working more on the background, if I'm still interested in trying to play this campaign you'll have a revised version tomorrow.

I did too' date=' but Zac told me to specialize. I didn't know how else to do that without making the character unrecognizeable.[/quote']

Zac is on heavy pain medication. :D

Honestly, write the best background you can that you can also stat out in the system. That will make your character stand out from the pack.

I was using Black Arachnia from Silverstone as a reference. She's Dex 29 and DC 10, so I thought it would be acceptable. No big. I can switch back down.

It's a delicate balancing act. You could keep your DEX as is, since your higher damage attack lowers your DCV.

I got the idea of a Flash doing KB from Steve Long's UNTIL Superpowers Database. I'm not that attached to it by any means, but it wasn't a powergaming choice...

It's cheesy even if Steve Long does it...and you can quote me on that. :)

I took a crack at the character, but it's incomplete, and I didn't want to do any rewrites on your background. Here's what I came up with. I dropped Missile Deflection (completely redundant when you have Martial Dodge), fixed a few things in skills and perks, upped the multipower, and brought you to the highest STR possible while keeping martial arts and following campaign guidelines. Disads still need work, and I'd suggest looking at the other elements - wood is rather interesting, for example.

Raider

Characteristics - Training can take you a long way, and justifies a 6 SPD...but 29 DEX is high. Anything beyond a 27, in my opinion, means you have superhuman ability related to your powers. 29 is a speedster-class DEX. INT is pretty high...but I'm getting a Batman vibe. More on that when I examine skills. CON is also a bit high...but if you're pushing the top edge of human capability, it's within reason.

Martial Arts - You have a 11 DCV while using your 8d6 melee attack, and a 10 DCV while using your 10d6 melee attack...before counting in your overall level. Even the offensive shot does 10d6 at range while maintaining a 9 DCV (10 DCV with overall level). I would suggest lowering DEX to 26, which would balance things out. You may even be able to convince Zac of allowing a second Overall Level if the DEX is lowered, and 2 levels can be used to up damage by +1d6.

I wasn't really comfortable with the 6 SPD/29 DEX thought it was a bit high. I'll lower this down.

Skills - All decent, though I was expecting to see a few more knowledge skills (perhaps combined with scholar). Also, if you contributed to the Sentry Initiative...I'd consider looking at Computer Programing, Electronics, Mechanics, and/or Inventor. Same thing applies if you made your own utility belt. You have a few skills you could skip (or drop to 8-) if you need points...Seduction tops that list.

Yeah the bugging was for the contribution. I agree though, Electronics and/or Inventor should be added. I'm not sure if you noticed, but I tucked 10 points away in Perks, for when I decided on what agency he worked for (went for the CIA). I was going to use this for KS if I could afford it. I agree though there are tons of places I could switch some skills around. Plus I haven't used the the 5 XP for portrait and background (although after taking another look at the Utility Belt thread, I may spend some more points there :D).

Disadvantages - Enraged (son threatened)...I certainly understand that as a father, but that's pretty strong. Basically, if a mugger pulls a knife on your kid and tells you to hand your wallet over, you'll flip out and possibly kill the guy, CvK or no CvK. You may get your kid killed in the process, and get brought up on charges for excessive force. One good roll with a 10d6 attack will take a mugger to negative BODY. Since you've gained 15 disad points from it (20 including the DNPC), the situation WILL come up. I'll let Zac comment on the rest of the disads.

When I originally came up with the idea, I was under the impression that the SI was much more dangerous. The idea being that he was a young Prime, and people might be after him because he's young.

Then of course you have, with a trained normal, once you get past the Hunted's and they Psych's you really have to start stretching for disads.

Okay here is Version 2 of Raider. I've given him a perk Ex-CIA agent. It represents that he was there, he was known, an may get some help. I've also included the Security Clearance, at a reduced amount, maybe some of his CIA friends will remember he had a Clearance and let him have the info anyway.

Raider

Player: Checkmate

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

26 DEX 48

23 CON 26

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

14 EGO 8

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

8/14 PD 4

8/14 ED 3

6 SPD 24

10 REC 2

46 END 0

35 STUN 3

9" RUN 0

5" SWIM 0

8" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 147

Cost Power

5 Catalyst: Luck 1d6

2 Strong Will: Mental Defense (5 points total)

6 Strong Legs: Running +3" (9" total)

3 Athletic: Swimming +3" (5" total)

4 Acrobatic: Leaping +4" (8" forward, 4" upward)

12 Microweave Costume: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20 Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u 1) Boomarang: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4)

1u 2) Grapple Gun: Swinging 20", No Gravity Penalty (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)

1u 4) Re-breather: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 56

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Krav Maga

4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 2) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND

4 3) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 4) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

3 5) Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 40 STR for holding on

5 6) Kick/Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

4 7) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Boomarang-Fu

4 1) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC

5 3) Offensive Trip: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike +v/5, Target Falls

5 4) Offensive Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +2, Disarm, +2 DC to Disarm

Martial Arts Cost: 56

Cost Skill

10 +1 Overall

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bugging 14-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Criminology 14-

3 CK: Thebes 14-

3 Electronics 14-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: City Utility Grids (Sewers, Power Grids, Water) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 2) KS: Espianage World (3 Active Points) 14-

1 3) KS: International Law (2 Active Points) 11-

2 4) KS: Sentry Initutive (3 Active Points) 14-

3 Lockpicking 14-

3 Paramedics 14-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Security Systems 14-

3 Shadowing 14-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Tactics 14-

Skills Cost: 71

Cost Perk

5 Contact: Deputy director of a department in CIA directorate (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

1 Fringe Benefit: Ex-CIA Agent

2 Fringe Benefit: Security Clearance

Perks Cost: 8

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Psychological Limitation: Disillusioned Super-Patriot (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Sentry Program (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Hunted: Sentry Initiative 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

15 Dependent NPC: Son 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

Disadvantage Points: 135

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 15

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 0

Silverstone players...I'm ironing out a few things with one character, which is why things are progressing slowly in the individual threads. I hope to have everything resolved by this weekend...so don't panic if you haven't seen a post in your individual thread for a few days.

I took a crack at the character' date=' but it's incomplete, and I didn't want to do any rewrites on your background. Here's what I came up with. I dropped Missile Deflection (completely redundant when you have Martial Dodge), fixed a few things in skills and perks, upped the multipower, and brought you to the highest STR possible while keeping martial arts and following campaign guidelines. Disads still need work, and I'd suggest looking at the other elements - wood is rather interesting, for example.

That is almost identical to the re-envisioning I was just working on right now. Except that I completely forgot about Linguist and Well Connected. :sneaky:

I was looking through my book on Chinese Taoist immortals and had settled on Zhu Rong, Heaven's Executioner and God of Fire. But Wood has a lot of possibilities too...

Anyway, thanks for the help. I preferred him as a semi-brick, and your writeup seems to be a very fair execution of that.:thumbup:

~Gabriel

Double Post!

Alright, here's Kuan Ti.

He's in line with Fed's version, except that he has Wood- instead of Water-based powers. They are:

3d6 Entangle

RKA 2d6, +1 Stun Multiplier and Armor Piercing

Telekinesis, Wood-Only

(Kuan Ti is the most commonly known Chinese god of war, who was once a mortal soldier that proved himself worthy. I think it's a good fit.)

~Gabriel

P.S. I'll have to redo the pic in order to change the color of his armor. :straight:

We have a lot of roleplaying opportunities. I don't want any player to be left out because they put all their points in PS: Painter (Gaming Minatures)' date=' KS: RPG and KS: Fantasy Novels. I mean, these are all great skills (chuckes at self) but PS: Forensic Technician, KS: Viral Code, KS: Hacker would be better.[/quote']

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I really want to be sure I have the right expectations here. You seem to be concerned there won't be many roleplaying opportunities for a naive guy dealing with a double crisis of faith, who's a fish out of water because he's been shamed out of his homeland, who happens to have new superpowers and an apparent mission from God. I thought that was a ton of roleplaying fodder. In this campaign will roleplaying opportunities mostly come around skill rolls? Is the focus basically going to be on combat?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this' date=' but I really want to be sure I have the right expectations here. You seem to be concerned there won't be many roleplaying opportunities for a naive guy dealing with a double crisis of faith, who's a fish out of water because he's been shamed out of his homeland, who happens to have new superpowers and an apparent mission from God. I thought that was a ton of roleplaying fodder. In this campaign will roleplaying opportunities mostly come around skill rolls? Is the focus basically going to be on combat?[/quote']

(Posted from my G1 phone)

I can only speak to the Silverstone game. There are several individual threads, and very little in the way of rolls. So far, I have:

* A woman in a wheelchair getting a second opinion on her injuries.

* A mage trying to unravel a cryptic clue from the spirits.

* A new hero following up on suspicious activity.

* A teenager volunteering her time to help the elderly.

* A private investigator distracted from a cheating husband's activities by the presence of a reporter.

* A young woman discovering her ancestry...and getting in over her head.

None of these situation have an immediate threat of combat...at least as far as the players can see.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this' date=' but I really want to be sure I have the right expectations here. You seem to be concerned there won't be many roleplaying opportunities for a naive guy dealing with a double crisis of faith, who's a fish out of water because he's been shamed out of his homeland, who happens to have new superpowers and an apparent mission from God. I thought that was a ton of roleplaying fodder. In this campaign will roleplaying opportunities mostly come around skill rolls? Is the focus basically going to be on combat?[/quote']

I am not concerned about your general RP opportunities. I am concerned about RP opportunities when it comes to investigation. Generally, super games at 1/3 comabt, 1/3 personal, 1/3 investigation. I don't expect everyone to be Batman and not everyone is going to be able to investigate everything. Hell, you may not have the skill at all but you would like to poke your nose into, that is fine. Dont have KS: Rookery Gangs or AK: Rookery, but you want to hit the streets looking to Tommy Two Toes anyway, dandy. Now if you don't have the streetwise skill to boot, you may have a hard time of it.

(Not being sarcastic with this statement at all -->) Does that make sense?

I have seven submission to look over and I KNOW I will not be able to get to all of the today. I have been looking over characters pretty quickly to try and answer everyone I can. With that in mind, I asked Fed early on to double check my il/logic. I think more than a few points have been made because of it.

Full time job, wife and kids, pain from surgery and pain meds do not necessarilly a good fit make for looking over a LOT of character submission. I wanted everyone to know that "Thebes" has offically "started" with character threads. You can go to the herocental.net and watch Fed's character squirm if ya like :P Fed was a guanenteed in... so don't feel bad. As we get closer to the acceptance window I may grab someone up and tell them they are an auto in. If I feel I can get the group started by March 5th, I may do so. Right now, two players have a good chance of being accepted. As an FYI, I would still like to see a speedester. Fed and I have our combined "eyes" on an Silverstone / Thebes crossover and I have proposed two character types that would click really well when that happens (Speedester and Just this average guy/gal with all this neat gear).

He is a bit of reading material from Inertia's thread:

You come out of you mental haze as the tram passes a security checkpoint. The tram cars plesant computerized Silon voice speaks to everyone "I appologise for the delay. We are scanning your car for those who wish to do you harm". The audible "ding" that signifies your car is ok echos about and the tram moves forward. The start and stop of each car in the tram takes about a minute. You overhear a SI Tram Officer's conversation with another occupant, " No ma'am. As soon as the next generation of scanning software is put online we will be able to scan the entire tram as we pass through the check point. I know it will be up and running before the system goes green." He nods to her and moves toward the front of the car. You have to admit the actual people who work for SI seem really nice. The have snappy uniforms, they are very polite and are all in excellent shape. SI's semi-annual physical ensures all walking patrols are able to withstand the duty of the old fashioned beat cop. Law Enforcement likes it too. Now the police just repond to calls within the city. Silons report in mass whenever their is a situation, much like Bobbies do in Britian. Of course, Silon officers (called Walkers) do have nice body armor, stun batons, and grabuns (slang for Grapple Guns, it throws some sort of carbon nanotube restraint). You have seen a few patrol supervisors and reinforced access point patrols equiped with heaver hardware: Smile-es (Rifle that changes the actual mood of the target) and Vaporlocks (rifle that slows down the absorption of oxygen in the human body) are mean looking. You have heard of nastier equipment than that being tested by SI, but its all rumors and you hold little stock what Joe says at the water cooler.

This is to let you know that Sentry Initative is on the cutting edge. Weapons, armor, surveillance, robotics... everything. Anything they can use to make criminals think twice, anything they can use to disfuse a situation with minimal harm, etc. When Fed's character makes it to secured checkpoint it will get heavier.

I am saying all this to give you more insight as to the tone of the city. A large section of it was destroyed ten years ago, and the people are of tired of it. They have decided to give up freedom for security (which is a no no, "those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither" B.F.), which is kind of the way the current political climate in the U.S. is going. You characters can make a difference in how this plays out. Really. If you can show that Primes really can save the day, then SI will scale back. Cause tons of secondary damage, cause undo harm, etc and it will swing the other way. That is the central focus to the Initial Thebes Campaign. You six making a REAL difference in a city. I hope you are as up to the challanges in playing it, as I am fired up about letting this story out.

Owing to my insomnia, I actually made this last night; but I was too embarrassed to triple post. :straight:

KuanTi.jpg

In case no-one knew, they added an English language version of the newer Portuguese hero-maker. Just click on Idioma at the top of the page.

~Gabriel

Alright, wrote in the background and added Martial Dodge.

I also realized that I was spending too many points for SPEED and CSLs when I could just raise his Dex and save a few points. So I did that and eliminated the CSLs, leaving him with the same overall OCV/DCV, but faster reactions. I used the extra points I saved to get the Defensive Maneuver skill.

And, of course, I redid the Disads and modified a perk that didn't fit with his background.

~Gabriel

Ok, to start I really like the new background. It defines with a lot more detail. I can really see the motivations of the man now.

Starting with Disads:

At first you were a Chinese dissident. The you left that profession and became the head of a local crime syndicate. You are now an escaped prisoner, but are you political or criminal, or both? When you had your position, did anyone from the CIA ask you to do favors for them? What about someone with the Japanese Intelligence?

What impact do you seeing being an escaped political prisoner (wanted felon) being in the US? Are you wanted by Interpol? Does the US government just give you a hand wave (yes he is a fugitive BUT he did resist Communists)?

I ask all this because it really paves the way for the rest of it (I am trying to understand disads against the backdrop of your background). You are hunted by the local authorities, but they don't classify as less powerful in this town, they are as powerful. Being a hero while the locals want to put cuffs on you is going to be difficult (but not impossible and it can be a great chance for RP). Then you have a price on your head. You don't have any ID (so no bad karma either way) and a 1 point perk to help stem the tide of hunteds.

Not knowing what you are about to say. Lets assume (ug!) the American Government is going to give you a hand wave.

Then...

Hunted: Authorities 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) - 15 points, they want to keep tabs on you. Maybe they may need to do a job for them or they may change to a hunted if they need you as a political pawn in some prisoner exchange. Now this isn't the local cops, you are on the FBI's and CIA's watch list. That is why they are more powerful.

Hunted: Chinese Tong 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish) - 15 points, the Tong is one of the criminal organization within the city. They are none to pleased about what you did to their organizational ties in Taiwan. However, they just cant come out and attack you. They are biding their time and planning.

Hunted: Bounty: Deathtrap 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish) - 15 points. Lets say that one organization takes up the Bounty, one that no one else wants to touch....

We keep the social limitations the same. We define the escaped felon as an Interpol wanted.

Interpol: 8- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Capture)

We are down 5 points of disads.

This is not a definitive WHAT I WANT TO DO kind of list. I am just brainstorming based on the point that the US government gives your status a hand wave. If the US government had you as wanted, I have another set of proposed changes. What are your thoughts?

I agree with Fed on the 12d6 Flash for knockback. If you want a KB only power, lets make it with an energy blast and the appropriate modifiers (Double Knockback, only does knockback, etc).

Martial Arts, Talents and Skills look fine. I notice you went to a 30 Dex and dropped the overall level. You still have 5 xp to spend too.

Next time you submit the file, please put the picture in the .hdc file.

New version attached.

You have 35 points of watched/hunteds. To make this mesh, do you mind if I filled with the 35 points and tell you how it comes out? I think a single 25 point is pretty harsh:eek: I would like for the characters to have a few common hunteds (but not all) to give common enemies. Nothing bring people together more than a common foe.

You took 5 points for poor and it looks like you bought off 5 points of disads. Now that you have a secret id, what about taking a single DNPC?

Besides that, everything looks dandy.

I ask all this because it really paves the way for the rest of it (I am trying to understand disads against the backdrop of your background). You are hunted by the local authorities, but they don't classify as less powerful in this town, they are as powerful. Being a hero while the locals want to put cuffs on you is going to be difficult (but not impossible and it can be a great chance for RP).

"Okay, based on what you just did, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and twelve seconds. Make it look good for the cameras."

Your choice about where you want to live. 1/2 of the population lifes in Center City.

Ok, starting with Disads:

Distinctive Features: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as THE WARD, Arcana II (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Small Group) - Just Tarot Divinations is a small group within Divination, which is a small gorup unto itself. I would say shows up at The Ward on any Divination. I know The Ward is a card in a Tarot deck, but its not that simple... the Death card does not mean Death (just change), and it goes on and on. -- still 5 points.

Physical Limitation: Limited Physical Sense (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing), ok. What is this limited physical sense. I must have missed it in the background.

Reputation: Bit of a Cold Fish, 8-, Care to define this a bit more. Is this your secret id or your super Id. This might be best explained as a social limitation, not a rep. You already have the fear of comittment, this may just roll with it.

In your background you have this large need to protect people, but no disadvange points to it. Nothing like Protect the Weak or Protect the Innocent. I mean...

She soon set to work researching every protection the Star Mage could find for her. After several weeks' hard work, she enacted her first true ward over the school- which prevented Ryan's pranks, albeit temporarily. The feeling of triumph, of correctness, was impossible for the young girl to ignore. She wanted to use magic. She wanted to protect people. She told the Star Mage as much.

I would loose one of the 15 point Psychogical limitations and put in some Protect Disad.

You have a rival, so I assume it is a rival in your private life not your super one. I dont see it listed in your background specifically. Maybe another "diviner" or a nearby shop owner who does not like what your store brings to the neighborhood. Thoughts?

All of your stats are below normal charastic max except Ego and recovery. Thought about taking a 20 point normal char max? You EGO would cost another 6, but so would your recovery. Drop your recovery down to a 10, and you would be at 350. You could then rework some of your disads. Thoughts?

We already went over your powers and skills (which look good).

Okay' date=' updated character specs, very basic mods to Requiem, significant backstory update, tweak of a few disads, and significant tweak of skills to suit new status.[/quote']

They both look fine. Do you want me to accept both of these as finished characters?

Your choice about where you want to live. 1/2 of the population lifes in Center City.

Ok, starting with Disads:

Distinctive Features: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as THE WARD, Arcana II (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Small Group) - Just Tarot Divinations is a small group within Divination, which is a small gorup unto itself. I would say shows up at The Ward on any Divination. I know The Ward is a card in a Tarot deck, but its not that simple... the Death card does not mean Death (just change), and it goes on and on. -- still 5 points.

Hint: 'The Ward' is not a known Major Arcana in any real-world tarot deck.

Physical Limitation: Limited Physical Sense (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing), ok. What is this limited physical sense. I must have missed it in the background.

She doesn't have a fine sense of touch, a side effect of having her Basic Wards up all the time, which was why I put it originally as a Side Effect of the Basic Wards. You wanted it as a Disad, and I made it a disad.

Reputation: Bit of a Cold Fish, 8-, Care to define this a bit more. Is this your secret id or your super Id. This might be best explained as a social limitation, not a rep. You already have the fear of comittment, this may just roll with it.

Yeah, it was pretty much springboarding off the "Fear of Commitment". Remember, she's been an adventurer since freshman year.

In your background you have this large need to protect people, but no disadvange points to it. Nothing like Protect the Weak or Protect the Innocent. I mean...

I would loose one of the 15 point Psychogical limitations and put in some Protect Disad.

Part of that is CvK- it extends to all sentient beings. And I think Code of Optimus Prime doesn't quite fit.

You have a rival, so I assume it is a rival in your private life not your super one. I dont see it listed in your background specifically. Maybe another "diviner" or a nearby shop owner who does not like what your store brings to the neighborhood. Thoughts?

No, this is Ryan, the Star Mage's other student. Mostly it's a rivalry in the "I'm the only one who gets to stomp you dammit" sense, at least as I see it.

All of your stats are below normal charastic max except Ego and recovery. Thought about taking a 20 point normal char max? You EGO would cost another 6, but so would your recovery. Drop your recovery down to a 10, and you would be at 350. You could then rework some of your disads. Thoughts?

We already went over your powers and skills (which look good).

As for NCM, I tend not to use that, and it's a little silly for a character who is a mystic, and therefore can probably justify all kinds of characteristic increases through acessing other permanent spells. She'd just get around it, in other words, and that's not in the spirit of the disad.

I wasn't really comfortable with the 6 SPD/29 DEX thought it was a bit high. I'll lower this down.

Yeah the bugging was for the contribution. I agree though, Electronics and/or Inventor should be added. I'm not sure if you noticed, but I tucked 10 points away in Perks, for when I decided on what agency he worked for (went for the CIA). I was going to use this for KS if I could afford it. I agree though there are tons of places I could switch some skills around. Plus I haven't used the the 5 XP for portrait and background (although after taking another look at the Utility Belt thread, I may spend some more points there :D).

When I originally came up with the idea, I was under the impression that the SI was much more dangerous. The idea being that he was a young Prime, and people might be after him because he's young.

Then of course you have, with a trained normal, once you get past the Hunted's and they Psych's you really have to start stretching for disads.

Okay here is Version 2 of Raider. I've given him a perk Ex-CIA agent. It represents that he was there, he was known, an may get some help. I've also included the Security Clearance, at a reduced amount, maybe some of his CIA friends will remember he had a Clearance and let him have the info anyway.

Lets starts at the disads:

You only have 135 points. Do you want me to throw some Disad ideas your way?

There is a 1 point perk for Sentry Initative Clearance. Without it you can't walk into Sentry Central at all. You would have it on your secret id, of course. You want in?

You have a LOT of skills, but did you invent anything. Did you make your equipment or did someone else? Are you just procuring other equipment thru channels? I recommend Inventor, 8- (at least).

Thoughts?