Peace - the Hippie Hero

jwpacker

Lord, help me.

This guy popped into my head first thing this morning, and would not leave me alone. I spent my work day periodically jotting down notes to ensure I didn't forget anything. Now that I've created him, and posted him, maybe he'll go away and let me focus on something else for a change.

Peace

'60's Era Hippie Hero

[b]Characteristics:[/b] 104 Points
15    STR      5        4/25  PD     1
15    DEX     15        4/25  ED     0
20    CON     20        5     SPD   25
18    BODY    16        8     REC    2
15    INT      5        40    END    0
15    EGO     10        36    STUN   0
15    PRE      5
10    COM      0        OCV/DCV: 5    ECV: 5/9

[b]Skills, Perks & Talents:[/b] 43 Points
12    +4 with Groovy Magic
6     Combat Luck: 3PD/3ED
3     Acting, 12-
2     Animal Handling, 12-
3     Concealment, 12-
3     Conversation, 12-
3     Scholar:
2     KS: Classic Rock, 12-
2     KS: Writing Music, 12-
2     KS: Horticulture, 12-
3     Persuasion, 12-
2     PS: Musician, 11-

[b]Powers:[/b] 203 Points
80    Multipower: Groovy Magic (80 Point Pool)
8u    1) Turn On - 8D6 Mental Illusions, Area Effect Radius, Limited
        Effect: Hallucinations, good trips only, no control of content
        (8 END)
4u    2) Love Your Mother - 3D6 Major Transform: Pollution into Plant
        Life, Area Effect 1 Hex (Changes back by being polluted again)
        (4 END)
7u    3) Flower Power - 5D6 Major Transform: Weapons into Flowers
        (Heals normally as flowers die)
        (7 END)
5u    4) Cool Out: 8D6 Mind Control, Cumulative (144 Max), Only to make
        everyone peaceful, sensible and cool to each other
        (8 END)
6u    5) Everybody Must Get Stoned: 4D6 DEX Drain, Usable at Range,
        Delayed Return (5/minute)
        (8 END)
4u    6) Age of Aquarius: 8D6 Sight Group Flash
        (4 END)

20    Elemental Control: Far Out Powers (40 Active)
20    1) Riding Rainbows: 20" Flight, SFX: Leaves a rainbow trail with
        stars, moons and peace signs in it
        (4 END)
25    2) Can't Bring Me Down: 18PD/18ED Force Field, 1/2 END
        (2 END)
24    3) My Brother's Keeper: 10PD/6ED Force Wall, 3" Wide
        (4 END)

[b]Disadvantages:[/b] 150 Points
20    Dependence: Marijuana, Mental Addition, Powers acquire Act 14-
10    Distinctive Looks: 60's Era Flower Child
25    Hunted: US Military, MoPow, NCI, Watching, 8-
25    Hunted: FBI, MoPow, NCI, Watching, 8-
25    Psych Lim: Total Commitment to Not Killing
15    Psych Lim: Out of Touch with Current Culture
10    Psych Lim: Child of the World: everyone gets the benefit of the
     doubt that they're cool
15    Social Lim: Public Identity - Peace, the Hippie Hero
5     Reputation: Anti-war hero of the '60's, people old enough to
     remember, 11-

Background:

A child of post-war years, Christopher Wilson was the fourth child of a former GI and the Belgian woman he brought home to be his bride. Unbeknownst to Chris’s dad, Miranda Wilson came from a long line of magic wielders. She never exercised her powers once she came to the States, wanting as normal a life as possible. None of their first three children showed any aptitude for the arcane, but Christopher was different.

By the time he was fifteen, his mother was trying to steer him away from misuse of his gifts without giving him too much in the way of inspiration. It was pretty easy, given Chris’s slow migration into the Hippie counterculture. He was always working at cross purposes to his older brothers, all of whom entered the military in time for the Vietnam conflict.

The My Lai massacre in ’68 began to radicalize Chris, and pushed him even further into the Hippie lifestyle. He left home and joined a commune, and his powers began to solidify around the persona he chose to adopt, and the name that everyone came to know him by - Peace.

He never had any intention of being a super hero or fighting crime, but the events of the day, and the events of the Summer of Love led him to be one of the minor spokespeople for his generation. He fought mostly conventional criminals, while at the same time defending anti-war protesters and ensuring that their voices were heard. By the time of the Kent State incident, he was spending time with notorious Black Panther supers as well, and would have been likely to get involved with other radical elements if other incidents hadn’t intervened.

During a protest march that mated anti-war sentiment with pro-civil rights marchers, Peace found himself face to face with several government sponsored supers. Before their argument could escalate beyond heated words, however, someone - Peace never did find out who - hit him with some sort of ray that created a time rift and pushed him through it.

Peace woke up in the same park where he’d been hit, but things were radically different. He found the world utterly changed - some for the better, and some for the significantly worse. The year was 2008, and he was a stranger in a strange land.

Peace’s powers seemed antiquated and out of fashion, along with his choice of music and clothing. But he went back to doing what he did best - protecting people who wanted to voice their opinions, helping people who work towards his own liberal agenda, and, along the way, trying to learn his way in the new world he’d found himself in.

Quote: The Man and I don’t always see eye to eye, but robbing banks and taking hostages? That’s a drag man. A total bad trip.

Appearance: Peace continues to wear butterfly collars and a leather vest, along with denim jeans and moccasins. He also usually wears John Lennon-style glasses and a headband covered with real turquoise beads. He is unshaved, his full beard and long, bushy hair making him look a good deal like Jim Morrison in his prime.

Campaign Uses: I'll be damned if I know...

Re: Peace - the Hippie Hero

I've just recently come across old pictures of my parents, from way back in the day, and I'll be damned if my father didn't dress exactly as you've described him. I need to ask him if he had any super-powers back in the day. I may yet become a superhero... But if I can avoid the riding on rainbows thing, that'd be great. Enough people think I'm gay already. What is it about platonic friendships with girls that automatically makes a guy supposedly gay?

Lord, help me.

This guy popped into my head first thing this morning, and would not leave me alone. I spent my work day periodically jotting down notes to ensure I didn't forget anything. Now that I've created him, and posted him, maybe he'll go away and let me focus on something else for a change.

Peace

'60's Era Hippie Hero

[b]Characteristics:[/b] 104 Points
15    STR      5        4/25  PD     1
15    DEX     15        4/25  ED     0
20    CON     20        5     SPD   25
18    BODY    16        8     REC    2
15    INT      5        40    END    0
15    EGO     10        36    STUN   0
15    PRE      5
10    COM      0        OCV/DCV: 5    ECV: 5/9

[b]Skills, Perks & Talents:[/b] 43 Points
12    +4 with Groovy Magic
6     Combat Luck: 3PD/3ED
3     Acting, 12-
2     Animal Handling, 12-
3     Concealment, 12-
3     Conversation, 12-
3     Scholar:
2     KS: Classic Rock, 12-
2     KS: Writing Music, 12-
2     KS: Horticulture, 12-
3     Persuasion, 12-
2     PS: Musician, 11-

[b]Powers:[/b] 203 Points
80    Multipower: Groovy Magic (80 Point Pool)
8u    1) Turn On - 8D6 Mental Illusions, Area Effect Radius, Limited
        Effect: Hallucinations, good trips only, no control of content
        (8 END)
4u    2) Love Your Mother - 3D6 Major Transform: Pollution into Plant
        Life, Area Effect 1 Hex (Changes back by being polluted again)
        (4 END)
7u    3) Flower Power - 5D6 Major Transform: Weapons into Flowers
        (Heals normally as flowers die)
        (7 END)
5u    4) Cool Out: 8D6 Mind Control, Cumulative (144 Max), Only to make
        everyone peaceful, sensible and cool to each other
        (8 END)
6u    5) Everybody Must Get Stoned: 4D6 DEX Drain, Usable at Range,
        Delayed Return (5/minute)
        (8 END)
4u    6) Age of Aquarius: 8D6 Sight Group Flash
        (4 END)

20    Elemental Control: Far Out Powers (40 Active)
20    1) Riding Rainbows: 20" Flight, SFX: Leaves a rainbow trail with
        stars, moons and peace signs in it
        (4 END)
25    2) Can't Bring Me Down: 18PD/18ED Force Field, 1/2 END
        (2 END)
24    3) My Brother's Keeper: 10PD/6ED Force Wall, 3" Wide
        (4 END)

[b]Disadvantages:[/b] 150 Points
20    Dependence: Marijuana, Mental Addition, Powers acquire Act 14-
10    Distinctive Looks: 60's Era Flower Child
25    Hunted: US Military, MoPow, NCI, Watching, 8-
25    Hunted: FBI, MoPow, NCI, Watching, 8-
25    Psych Lim: Total Commitment to Not Killing
15    Psych Lim: Out of Touch with Current Culture
10    Psych Lim: Child of the World: everyone gets the benefit of the
     doubt that they're cool
15    Social Lim: Public Identity - Peace, the Hippie Hero
5     Reputation: Anti-war hero of the '60's, people old enough to
     remember, 11-

Background:

A child of post-war years, Christopher Wilson was the fourth child of a former GI and the Belgian woman he brought home to be his bride. Unbeknownst to Chris’s dad, Miranda Wilson came from a long line of magic wielders. She never exercised her powers once she came to the States, wanting as normal a life as possible. None of their first three children showed any aptitude for the arcane, but Christopher was different.

By the time he was fifteen, his mother was trying to steer him away from misuse of his gifts without giving him too much in the way of inspiration. It was pretty easy, given Chris’s slow migration into the Hippie counterculture. He was always working at cross purposes to his older brothers, all of whom entered the military in time for the Vietnam conflict.

The My Lai massacre in ’68 began to radicalize Chris, and pushed him even further into the Hippie lifestyle. He left home and joined a commune, and his powers began to solidify around the persona he chose to adopt, and the name that everyone came to know him by - Peace.

He never had any intention of being a super hero or fighting crime, but the events of the day, and the events of the Summer of Love led him to be one of the minor spokespeople for his generation. He fought mostly conventional criminals, while at the same time defending anti-war protesters and ensuring that their voices were heard. By the time of the Kent State incident, he was spending time with notorious Black Panther supers as well, and would have been likely to get involved with other radical elements if other incidents hadn’t intervened.

During a protest march that mated anti-war sentiment with pro-civil rights marchers, Peace found himself face to face with several government sponsored supers. Before their argument could escalate beyond heated words, however, someone - Peace never did find out who - hit him with some sort of ray that created a time rift and pushed him through it.

Peace woke up in the same park where he’d been hit, but things were radically different. He found the world utterly changed - some for the better, and some for the significantly worse. The year was 2008, and he was a stranger in a strange land.

Peace’s powers seemed antiquated and out of fashion, along with his choice of music and clothing. But he went back to doing what he did best - protecting people who wanted to voice their opinions, helping people who work towards his own liberal agenda, and, along the way, trying to learn his way in the new world he’d found himself in.

Quote: The Man and I don’t always see eye to eye, but robbing banks and taking hostages? That’s a drag man. A total bad trip.

Appearance: Peace continues to wear butterfly collars and a leather vest, along with denim jeans and moccasins. He also usually wears John Lennon-style glasses and a headband covered with real turquoise beads. He is unshaved, his full beard and long, bushy hair making him look a good deal like Jim Morrison in his prime.

Campaign Uses: I'll be damned if I know...

aloow me to give him a campaign use ,as the CU'S version ofAUSTIN POWERS

I've just recently come across old pictures of my parents' date=' from way back in the day, and I'll be damned if my father didn't dress exactly as you've described him. I need to ask him if he had any super-powers back in the day. I may yet become a superhero... But if I can avoid the riding on rainbows thing, that'd be great. Enough people think I'm gay already. What is it about platonic friendships with girls that automatically makes a guy supposedly gay?[/quote']

You know, I never thought about that piece of it... he's so going to be assumed to be gay when he flies in... ah, well, he is definitely more about the role playing than the clobberin' time already, what's a little more angst?

aloow me to give him a campaign use ' date='as the CU'S version ofAUSTIN POWERS[/quote']

A little less British Mod, a little more Southern California Peacenik, but otherwise, a perfect foil to explore the ridiculousness of our times...

Are his parents still alive? What about his brothers and their potential offspring? Does he want to go back to the 60's? Is "our" time his concrete future and if he DID go back' date=' would he try to change it?[/quote']

His father has passed away, but his mother, now frail, lives in a nursing home. He doesn't know exactly where, and is afraid that if he visits her, the shock might kill her.

That idea was planted in his head by his one surviving brother (the other two died in 'Nam). Their reunion was frigid at best, and he doesn't interact with that branch of his family much at all. One of his nieces, a single mom, has taken a liking to him, and his grand-niece is of just the right age to think that all his retro accoutrements are cool and back in style.

Peace has never really considered the idea of returning to his original time. The other supers who have time-related powers have told him that, were he to go back, it might not even be back to the same timeline, and that everything he had learned in the present would not avail him to change it.

But that's cool. This whole 21st century thing is a righteous trip. His pad is full of gadgets that make him feel like he's George Jetson, only cool. And he's picked up a new guitar, so he's hoping that maybe he can finally score that record contract that was so elusive back in the day.

He reminds me of American Dream from The Algernon Files.

I had to go Google that to see what you were talking about, and still came away with only a vague notion of who American Dream is. I think the idea came from reading The Champions Universe, in the 50's and 60's section where they talked about the split between heroes who were for and against the war in Vietnam. I'm sure it's ground that must have been covered before.

If Tommy Chong had superpowers....:eek::drink::smoke:

Ohh good one. Rep for both you and the OP.

As for use, in the 4th ed Viper book there was a hippy villain. Darned if I can remember the name. But if you can find it maybe that will give you some ideas.

Also he would be great for those ambiguous villains, you know want to change the world but but its going too slow. How does he view the changes? Any new causes? (Iraq for example)

You know if he was in the same universe and interacting with my 2 main characters that I talk about in WWYCDs. he'd drive them absolutely crazy. Both are "battle-happy". ANd one actually fought in Vietnam (and Korea, and WWII, and maybe wars previous), so, you know they'd get along. :rolleyes:

You know if he was in the same universe and interacting with my 2 main characters that I talk about in WWYCDs. he'd drive them absolutely crazy. Both are "battle-happy". ANd one actually fought in Vietnam (and Korea' date=' and WWII, and maybe wars previous), so, you know they'd get along. :rolleyes:[/quote']

How are their mental defenses? Imagine how cheesed off they'd be when he'd managed to "cool them out" and made them "sit down and rap" with the bad guys instead of going in with guns ablazin'.

Peace and RE: Peace

How are their mental defenses? Imagine how cheesed off they'd be when he'd managed to "cool them out" and made them "sit down and rap" with the bad guys instead of going in with guns ablazin'.

Quetzelcoatal would be really interesting - because he's lived through the history that this peacenik skipped.

Also because while he has Mental Defense it carries a Side Effect: If anyone manages to breach his defenses, Q starts taking STUN damage. Surprised the heck out of the team's psychic the first time she tried to establish mental contact without warning him to lower his psychic shields first.

How would Peace feel about using his powers when it caused someone pain and unconsciousness?

I could see the two of them cooperating on a lot of things - and coming into conflict on other things. Quetzalcoatl has a military background (including Vietnam) but is far from trigger-happy - one of his defining background memories is of trying, and failing, to prevent a My Lai like atrocity.

Lucius Alexander

I think he'd love the palindromedary and vice versa

Re: Peace and RE: Peace

Quetzelcoatal would be really interesting - because he's lived through the history that this peacenik skipped.

Also because while he has Mental Defense it carries a Side Effect: If anyone manages to breach his defenses, Q starts taking STUN damage. Surprised the heck out of the team's psychic the first time she tried to establish mental contact without warning him to lower his psychic shields first.

How would Peace feel about using his powers when it caused someone pain and unconsciousness?

I could see the two of them cooperating on a lot of things - and coming into conflict on other things. Quetzalcoatl has a military background (including Vietnam) but is far from trigger-happy - one of his defining background memories is of trying, and failing, to prevent a My Lai like atrocity.

I'm pretty sure of two things - one is that he wouldn't use his powers on his friends unless they were trigger-happy. The other is, the first time he saw that his powers were hurting Q like that, he'd have to rethink how he interacted with the guy - and that he might have to resort to just plain ol' Persuasion.

I think they could work well together, in a sort of buddy-cop-movie sort of way.

I think he'd love the palindromedary and vice versa

Well, honestly, who doesn't love a palindromedary?

I think they could work well together, in a sort of buddy-cop-movie sort of way.

I can see the title - Mind Your Ps and Qs.

I just keep hearing Quetzlcoatl saying "I wish you'd been there in that village in 'Nam..."

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

I can see the title - Mind Your Ps and Qs.

I just keep hearing Quetzlcoatl saying "I wish you'd been there in that village in 'Nam..."

And Peace, a hand resting on his compadre's shoulder responding, "I wish you hadn't been there in the first place..."

And Peace' date=' a hand resting on his compadre's shoulder responding, "I wish you hadn't been there in the first place..."[/quote']

Q: And if I hadn't been, even more people would have died.

Hm. Of course, all this is even assuming Quetzelcoatl would have opened up enough to talk about it - and that would probably take a long time. Especially if they're interacting while he's in his super identity. And even in his Secret ID, when he's obviously old enough to have been there and makes no secret of his past, he doesn't talk about that day very often.

Lucius Alexander

and a palindromedary from DRMO