Looking for a name for my "fate points"

Blackberry

Here is my version of editorial control that I'll be using in my upcoming superhero campaign. I'm looking for a better name than "Morph" that doesn't have to do with luck or probability.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on improvement? I want the editorial control to come with tension and temptation.

- - - - -

Ever since superhuman abilities have become known and to some degree understood, the cause and source of such abilities is still unknown. Why is it that one person who falls into a vat of acid develops superpowers, while another person who falls into a vat of acid just dies? Why is it that some born with generic mutations exhibit amazing powers, while others just have to live with wheelchairs? There are theories, but no one knows.

This is not yet known in the game world, but there is a formless substance in the world which I'm calling "Morph". Through a means as yet unknown, certain individuals can direct and transmute Morph into the world of matter and energy.

During play, you can gather your energies and concentrate your powers to the limits of your normal capacity. Whenever you roll one or more d6, you may take a Morph Die and roll it, then substitute it in place of any other die in your roll. You may only affect your own rolls. There is no limit to the number of Morph Dice you can take.

When you take a Morph Die, I will note it down in my secret notebook. Occasionally, as a reward for good play or heroic action, I will secretly erase a Morph Point.

Between sessions, I will roll 3d6 against the total number of Morph Points you have taken so far, as if it were a Hunted or DNPC. If I roll the total or less, the balance will shift against you, and the universe will claim back some of the energy you stole. Something will not go right for you for that session. Perhaps you'll miss an obvious clue, perhaps your Activation Rolls will be off just slightly, perhaps an enemy will somehow gain the upper hand.

Take more, and things may start to go a bit haywire with your powers -- you may develop abilities you didn't know you had, or you may put some unintended extra oomph behind it at the wrong time.

Re: Looking for a name for my "fate points"

If it is not yet known in the game world, then it probably does not have a name, or rather, it probably has many as a lot of different people (and probably religions) will have noticed it and be trying to give it a name, and understand it.

So, all of the above.

In the meantime you might want to give it a name you can refer to it as, and I've a couple of suggestions.

For a scientific sort of twist, how about 'Zero Point Energy' (ZPE)?

For a mystical sort of twist, how about Ki (or Qi, or just 'Q')?

For a paranormal sort of twist, how about 'Ectoplasm', which literally means 'Outside' (ecto) and 'Something formed or molded' (plasma)? Hmm. Maybe Ectoplasma is even better. Ectomorph? Maybe Endoplasma would be even better: something formed or molded from inside.

Here is my version of editorial control that I'll be using in my upcoming superhero campaign. I'm looking for a better name than "Morph" that doesn't have to do with luck or probability.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on improvement? I want the editorial control to come with tension and temptation.

How about, "doom"?

Just add 'points' to the end of any of these:

Ether

Quantum

Fortune

Destiny

Drama

Plot

Platypus

Nova

Essence

Quintessence

Gnosis

Will

Willpower

Blood

Rage

Junction

Chi

Ki

Qi

Prana

Good Karma

Bad Karma

Indifferent Karma

Psi

Force

Character

Edge

Magic

Wang Chung

Wild

Talent

Helix

Omega

Alpha

Beta

Delta

Gamma

Power

Setting Conceit

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go with "Catalyst" though' date=' since this is not about controlling chance but about focusing the "mana" behind all superpowers, and part of the metaplot involves discovering the source of powers.[/quote']

I feel honored. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins