Lensman HERO

C-Note

Re: Lensman HERO

Originally posted by C-Note

"Doc" Smith's Lensman novels are my all-time favorites. Anyone ever think about a HERO campaign set in the Lensman Universe?

Also, how is the GURPs Lensman sourcebook? Any useful info that could be adapted to a Star Hero campaign?

Actually, I've thought about it a lot recently (thanks to Old Earth Books reprinting all of them).

The GURPS Lensman book has a lot of good stuff in it, and being a GURPs product, is very easy to convert to Hero. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of it (it vanished in one of my moves).

I'd be very interested in seeing anyone Hero adaptation of Lensman.

John D.

Originally posted by C-Note

"Doc" Smith's Lensman novels are my all-time favorites. Anyone ever think about a HERO campaign set in the Lensman Universe?

Also, how is the GURPs Lensman sourcebook? Any useful info that could be adapted to a Star Hero campaign?

Great Books, would make a great setting. Lots of complications for the campaign.

As long as Mentor can accuse heroes of "muddy thinking" and can rebut all things with "refine your vision of the Cosmic All" then Contact: Mentor is not as plot warping as the player may be hopeing. (something that is suggested in the GURPS - Lensman).

As I see it the problem of running is simulation or emulation.

Re: Re: Lensman HERO

Originally posted by lensman

Great Books, would make a great setting. Lots of complications for the campaign.

As long as Mentor can accuse heroes of "muddy thinking" and can rebut all things with "refine your vision of the Cosmic All" then Contact: Mentor is not as plot warping as the player may be hopeing. (something that is suggested in the GURPS - Lensman).

As I see it the problem of running is simulation or emulation.

Actually, the biggest problem I've seen with using lensman as a campaign setting is the way the series treats women. You would never get a female gamer to play a Lensman game.

John D

Re: Re: Re: Lensman HERO

Originally posted by John Desmarais

Actually, the biggest problem I've seen with using lensman as a campaign setting is the way the series treats women. You would never get a female gamer to play a Lensman game.

John D

GURPS Lensman addresses this issue directly. Summarizing as best as I can from memory, female PCs are generally accepted to be 'the exception to the rule'; so unless your female gamer wants her character to change the fictional society she would be unencumbered as to her adventuring opportunities.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

I’m pretty new to this chat thing; I’ve been running Champs and space opera since their 1st publications. I plan to create a Campaign, based on FGU’s Space Opera campaign. Using the Hero system, that includes Jedi (As a new fledgling religious cult, from and outsiders viewpoint!), Lensmen (Self appointed Galactic Police, to the dismay of the IPA!), and isolated individuals that will have a Julian May Psionics feel. All of these groups will have selective disciplines unique and some overlapping, like telekinesis, based on the powers listed in space opera books.

I am open to idea and criticism, I think the UFP of space Opera is a good model for a beginning Old Republic.

Lloyd

GURPS:Lensman has lots of goodies in it. Not the least is a nifty space-opera style starship combat system. Of course in said system,the hero automatically manages to find some death-defying means to escape if the ship they are in is destroyed.

And as all GURPS worldbooks, it can almost be used as a textbook on the topic of the source material. I also {modest cough} contributed a couple of items to it.

Chances are, you'll find quite a few things useful in it even if you never run a Lensman campaign.

• 9 years later...