Pulp Lovecraft

Curufea

Re: Pulp Lovecraft

Yea, I remember watching this, rented it from blockbuster years ago. It was quite good. They also made a sequel sort of, wich was also good.

From wikipedia:

A quasi-sequel by the name Witch Hunt was later produced by HBO, taking place in the 1950s, during the Red Scare and substituting magic for Communism. Fred Ward did not reprise his role as Lovecraft, the character instead being played by Dennis Hopper. The movie is not a direct sequel. While characters with many of the same names, their background stories are different. For example, in Cast a Deadly Spell, Lovecraft's refusal to use magic is on principle, but in Witch Hunt it is because he once used a spell that led to the death of an innocent person.

Good movie, my friend Gary, who is a big Lovecraft fan loaned it to me. Good mix of action and mystery. It's basically a film noir wherein magic appeared somewhere after WWII and everyone uses it. Everyone but Phil Lovecraft who refuses to use magic for anything. You could probably Netflix it.

I thought the refusal to use magic was just like some detectives who refuse to use guns.

I loved the way magic simply permeated the society - right down to the use of necromancy in the construction business

Lucius Alexander

Cast a Deadly Palindromedary

Not very well though - the zombies kept dying on the job and getting in the way of others.

I was in a fantasy game where zombies were used for sewer cleaning - which is the ideal position for them, you don't have to worry about the smell or bits falling off.