The Distinctive, The Special, The Cool

Steve Long

Guest steamteck

Re: The Distinctive, The Special, The Cool

Well, let's see here...

• Communicative, customer-friendly, fan-friendly, free online presence. This has become more important than ever in light of the way a certain large company's attitudes have changed.

Just off the top of my head. -- Pteryx

Very good point.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right! :thumbup: Good catch' date=' Pteryx![/quote']

I'm going to have to amend mine to this also. I don't know how many times I site this game as more of a "comfy little house" than a corporation (Wizards I'm looking at you).

Initially Hero won me over with the idea of building instead of rolling up a character (especially the concept of Disads), the separation of STN and BDY, and the concept of END and REC.

I have become an die-hard fan because of the incredible flexibility; you have a tool-kit to build anything you want instead of a set list of powers and skills. You can play in any genre, and across genres easily. Sure there are going to be a few house rules because everyone has different tastes, but Hero lends itself to that too because the tool-kit gives you some balance when you invent new powers/effects; you don't break it when you try to fix it. Once you have experienced the Hero system, you are spoiled for anything else.

I think I really "fell in love" when I first saw a Variable Power Pool, back when it was called a Gadget Pool in Champions II.

"Finally! A game with a decent magick system!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants an indoor heated Variable Power Pool.

What I love about the Hero System

Point Based Character generation. I can make anything! If I want my Swordswoman to cast spells, I can do it. If I want her to be a vampire, I can do it. Basically I can create any kind of character my twisted mind can come up with.

Disadvantages: I love how they define a character for me. esp Psych Limits. With that I can get a good grasp on a character's personality

3D6! I love the bell curve and that characters start with more than a 50%chance to do things. Though I do wish that it was a roll high system :D

Absolutes are rare: I love that there aren't things like "Invulnerability" that allow all damage to be ignored. No auto hits, no auto damage. All attacks have a defense.

Presence: I love how presence works. I love making presence attacks. It works better than any other system that I have seen. Though I do wish Com were put to better use.

KA, EB. I love how there is different damage types, based not only on special effect, but on how it damages the target. Hell, I even love the stun lottery.

Skills; The skill list is a wonderful work of art. I love having skills and having any character be able to purchase them unhindered by "profession/class".

I love it all. That's why I play and buy the books!

Tasha

I'm replying without reading the other replies in order not to be influenced positively or negatively by them. :)

I particularly like:

• the way a (relatively) few basic Powers can be modified with advantages and limitations to build almost anything
  • that you only need one book of coherent rules rather than "Hero Supers", "Hero Magic", "Hero Tech", etc. (though I don't mind books with examples of how to implement the rules)
  • the BODY/STUN damage system, which allows for varied effects without complex rules
  • the spacing of actions provided by the Speed Chart
  • group skill levels

I think that about covers it. I have always thought the characteristics system rather clunky and that too few characteristics are used for skills. The Disadvantage system is nice enough, but it is hardly unique and could use a thorough revision.

I should add that I mainly like the ideas above; the implementation of these ideas needn't be the same as now. In particular, I think a lot of streamlining would be nice.

- Klaus