Expanded Shazam power set question

Wanderer

After reading the "Trials of Shazam" TPB, I got the idea to use the classical SHAZAM concept (drawing each component of a powerset from a different god, hero, or mythic archetype). Specifically, I wanted to use to redo my most preferred concept, hybrid paragons.

So I wanted to create a word and related set of mythic patrons to give the following powers: super-strength, super-speed/flight, super-stamina/invulnerability, energy projection/control, telekinesis/molecular manipulation, and healing/regeneration. The "wisdom" and "courage" part of the original concept can be safely dropped for various reasons. How can this power set be represented from various pantheons (say, Greco-Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic) ? I assume that in mythic terms, energy control, matter manipulation, and TK are best represented by control over the elements (or very loosely elemental magic).

Re: Expanded Shazam power set question

SUPER STRENGTH:

Atlas, Greek personification of strength

Vidar, Norse, among the strongest of the Aesir

Dagda, Celtic ruler of the gods, able to break anything in his hands

Magni, Norse god of strength

Ajax, strongest of the greek warriors during the Trojan war, kind of stupid though

SUPER-SPEED/FLIGHT:

Hermod, Norse version of Mercury

Hermes/ Mercury

Aeolus, Greek god of the winds

HEALING/REGENERATION:

Osiris, Egyptian, returned from being murdered after being chopped , not by regen though

The Phoenix

Antaeus, invulnerable greek giant but only while in contact with the Earth

Starkadr, Norse warrior who continues to fight no matter how grave a wound ne suffers, including decapitation

ENERGY PROJECTION/CONTROL*:

These tend to be spread out by type of special effect

Ra, egyptian sun god

Ptah, Egyptian creator of all the world

- plenty of element specific gods though usually based on lightning or fire

MATTER MANIPULATION/ TK:

As with Energy it seems to be segregated by type of energy/special effect but maybe a god of magic might suffice,

*Thoth, Egyptian god of magic

*Oghma, Celtic god of knowledge, was able to manipulate all things by command

All good suggestions, but he also wants to tie them into a word. Think "Scrabble".

Greeks gods are out. EVERYBODY does Greek or Roman gods (and the Romans aer just Greeks with funny hairdo's) and the only decent energy projector in the bunch was Zeus. Which puts a 'Z' in the word and now you're into SHAZAM again.

Norse - Thor, Hiemdal, Odin, Baldur, something, Loki... somewhat lacking in vowels here.

Egyptian - Anubis, Thoth, Ositris, Ma'at, Amun, Nut, Geb gives you "Atomang" or "MANGOTA!"

Okay, MANGOTA shouted in a thunder storm sounds at least as good as SHAZAM. And the Egyptians have a great mix and match of overlapping abilities.

How about the Justice League pantheon?

Prowess of Wonder Woman

Invulnerability of Superman

Speed of Flash

Cunning of Batman

Etheralness of Martian Manhunter

Swimming of Aquaman

I call upon the power of PISCES!

How about the Justice League pantheon?

Prowess of Wonder Woman

Invulnerability of Superman

Speed of Flash

Cunning of Batman

Etheralness of Martian Manhunter

Swimming of Aquaman

I call upon the power of PISCES!

I dunno,

it sounds a little fishy to me.

:nonp:

PANTHEON!!

The Many Forms Of Proteus

The Invulnerability of Achillies

The Champion Spirit of Nike

The Courage of Theseus

The Might of Hercules

The Shadow of Erebus

The Heart of Olympus

The Justice of Nemesis

Just my lil contribution witha mix of Heroes and other gods from the Greek/Roman traditions.

Hmm, I've given thought to the issue. On further thought, I've realized it would be extra nice to add shapeshifting to the power set, if possible, and that, also if possible, it would be nicer to use elemental gods to represent energy control, TK, and matter control, rather than "magic" (which would also fit, but I see a bit too fuzzy in definition).

I've compiled more or less complete lists for Pantheons: Greco-Roman, Norse, Egyptian, and Celtic, but so far the only one that I've been able to compile in a speakable power word is Greco-Roman (the other pantheons seem to suffer from a distinct death of gods with names that start with vocals):

Strength of Hercules

Invulnerability of Achilles

Speed of Hermes/Mercury

Healing of Apollo/Asclepius

Storms of Zeus/Jupiter

Fires of Hephaestus/Vulcan

Earth of Hades/Pluto

Waters of Poseidon/NeptuneOceanus

Forms of Proteus

Battle Prowess of Athena/Ares

"PHAMNAZHAP"

On second thoughts, I've thought it might be nicer to spare Titans to form an alternate list who channels an anti-champion, with the same powers but an opposite agenda...

The idea being that any Pantheon (and their adversaries: the Greek Titans, the Norse Giants) empowers one or an handful of different champions.

PANTHEON!!

The Many Forms Of Proteus

The Invulnerability of Achilles

The Champion Spirit of Nike

The Courage of Theseus

The Might of Hercules

The Shadow of Erebus

The Heart of Olympus

The Justice of Nemesis

Just my lil contribution with a mix of Heroes and other gods from the Greek/Roman traditions.

That's pretty cool

That's pretty cool

Perhaps (your sense of coolness may vary), but that list shows the kind of fuzzy and questionable-value gifts of power I was specifically trying to avoid. Exacly what does mean "Heart", "Justice", "Courage", and "Champion Spirit" ? They seem rather "meh" and ill-defined, in my impression, not to mean most of them should be qualities that the champion already owns on his own, and part of the reason he's chosen, not part of the empowerment package. Really, what self-respecting god would ever pick a coward as a champion ?

Hmm, I've given thought to the issue. On second thoughts, I've thought it would be extra nice to add shapeshifting to the power set, if possible, and that, also if possible, it would be nicer to use elemental gods to represent energy control, TK, and matter control, rather than "magic" (which would also fit, but I see a bit too fuzzy in definition).

I've compiled more or less complete lists for Pantheons: Greco-Roman, Norse, Egyptian, and Celtic, but so far the only one that I've been able to compile in a speakable power word is Greco-Roman (the other pantheons seem to suffer from a distinct death of gods with names that start with vocals):

Strength of Hercules

Invulnerability of Achilles/Stamina of Atlas

Speed of Hermes/Mercury

Storms of Zeus/Jupiter

Fires of Hephaestus/Vulcan/Prometheus/Helios

Earth of Hades/Pluto/Gea

Waters of Poseidon/Neptune/Oceanus

Forms of Proteus

"PHAMAZHOP"

Not entirely satisfactory since it uses the word of a Titan (Oceanus), but without that "O" it can't really be spoken. On second thoughts, I've thought it might be nicer to spare Titans to form an alternate list who channels an anti-champion, with the same powers but an opposite agenda...

The idea being that any Pantheon (and their adversaries: the Greek Titans, the Norse Giants) empowers one or an handful of different champions.

If you don't mind using a second teir water diety you can use Poseidon's son Triton for another letter choice.

TB

Try Native American, Incan, Aztec, Japanese, Chinese...

I can see some problems here. Chinese and Japanese, because of thier written form don't really apply themselves to the "First letter from each word" concept. There has to be a way of doing it, but I don't see it.

And I've always looked up the Aztec and Incan gods as being not on the side of niceness, but being more on that of unfriendliness. Tearing the still beating heart out of a body? And having sacrifices form a line, first come, first gutted like a fish? My mother would never have been a church goer. Now a super baddy? That would work.

Native American though... Possible, All of them being a little weak, unless you attribute the same diety with multiple names depending on where he/she's being worshipped - sort of Roman/Greek thing.

Thanks to the idea about adding battle prowess (hence Atena or Ares, both coming with a nice "A"), it is possible to complete the Greco-Roman list of gods and power word to my satisfaction, using only gods and not Titans:

Strength of Hercules

Invulnerability of Achilles

Speed of Hermes/Mercury

Storms of Zeus/Jupiter

Fires of Hephaestus/Vulcan

Earth of Hades/Pluto

Waters of Poseidon/Neptune

Forms of Proteus

Battle Prowess of Atena/Ares

"PHAMNAZHAP"

Well, creating a deities' list and power word for the Norse pantheon, too, has proved to be less difficult than I thought.

Strength of Vidar

Invulnerability of Baldur

Speed of Hermod

Battle Prowess of Tyr

Storms of Thor

Waters of Aegir

Earth of Frigg

Fires of Loki

Healing of Idunn

Forms of Odin

"VIBLATTHOF"