Psychological Limitation: Dangerous When Bored....

This is something that may be on the sheet for some henchers I'm creating (they'll be members of various villains' Quirky Mini-Boss Squads):

Psychological Limitation: Dangerous When Bored

Uncommon, Strong: 10 pts

Uncommon, Total: 15 pts

Common, Strong: 15 pts

Common, Total: 20 pts

Description: Boredom is never a good thing in anyone, but while most normal people usually look for constructive (or at least, harmless) activities to do when they're bored, a character with this Disadvantage lets what (little) impulse control they might normally have go right out the window and will engage in some truly bizarre and dangerous antics; and often look at you sheepishly in the wake of whatever havoc they've wrecked. Note that this is not the same thing as Psychological Limitation: Prankster, even the most irksome of pranksters is still rational enough to understand that there are lines you just don't cross, no matter how restless and bored you might be. Whether this is Uncommon or Common depends on how easily the character gets bored. At the Strong Level, the character can keep these tendancies in check with an EGO roll when absolutely necessary, at Total Level they simply can't help themselves. There is no Moderate level for this Disadvantage; a person who is dangerous when bored at the Moderate Level is merely a jackass.

GMs may want to discourage PCs from taking this Disadvantage unless they're prepared to deal with the consequences.

{Edit: I'll make it available both at Uncommon and Common, depending on the character's attention span.}

Re: Psychological Limitation: Dangerous When Bored....

This is something that may be on the sheet for some henchers I'm creating (they'll be members of various villains' Quirky Mini-Boss Squads):

Psychological Limitation: Dangerous When Bored

Description: Boredom is never a good thing in anyone, but while most normal people usually find constructive (or at least, harmless) things to do when bored, a character with this Disadvantage instead experiences a kind of mania and will engage in some truly bizarre and dangerous antics. Note that this is not the same thing as Psychological Limitation: Prankster, even the most irksome of pranksters is still a rational enough individual to recognize that there are lines you just don't cross, no matter how restless and bored you might get. At the Strong Level, the character can keep these tendancies in check with an EGO roll when necessary, at Total Level they simply can't help themselves. There is no Moderate level for this Disadvantage; a person who is Dangerous When Bored at Moderate Level is merely a jackass.

The question is: Should I make it Uncommon or Common?

That depends. How often do you want the character to get bored?

People with ADHD tend to have short attention spans and are prone to hyperactive activity as well as all the other symptoms it shares with ADD. I’d say someone with the “Dangerous with Bored” psych lim. could be quite attentive and even be very focused. But heaven help us if he gets bored long enough to focus on something “interesting” of his own devising.

People with ADHD tend to have short attention spans and are prone to hyperactive activity as well as all the other symptoms it shares with ADD. I’d say someone with the “Dangerous with Bored” psych lim. could be quite attentive and even be very focused. But heaven help us if he gets bored long enough to focus on something “interesting” of his own devising.

Good point. :)

• 2 weeks later...