Help - I need a base

azato

Re: Help - I need a base

Thanks for the input. Actually, I was looking for some floor plans.

The Google Earth ap (free to download if you haven't already got one on your desktop) can help you with that. You just type Brazil in the search box and look around until you find something that fits the bill.

Ok, now for step two...

Assuming a supervillain group who trains and executes terrorist acts around the world - has a base in a country they they do not have to worry about "hiding from". They are left alone for a number of reasons. There is already (this is 1983) a war going on between Argentina an GB. Any direct (or indirect) use of force by the west will trigger some very unwelcome political reactions by the rest of South America and they will see this as a power play/power grab and they may seek to align with the Soviets.

So they have a base that is fairly safe from being overun by a large force of men. They may have some things to keep them save from a high-altitude bombing. But their main worrry is probably going to be a squad of commandos OR a superhuman group. What sort of things should be standard for defenses to gaurd against the good guys. And once those defenses are set up, what means would make for a good plot to get the heroes past most of the defenses.

While the base will have some "high tech" defenses, they will not be many in nature. I am keeping 1983 mostly with some advaced tech available but either hideously expensive OR draws too much power.

One of our heroes is being hunted by the group. Not for anything she did but because she was a former spy and Terror Inc. has decided to remove those people from existance.

One of the spies from the characters old team sent her a message regarding the threat and the murder of former team members. Two other members are in hiding and the one who wrote the message is running and hiding. One thought is for the team to finally catch up/rescue the former team mate and perhaps some of the goons may provide a means into the fort/base. But I am not sure if the whole, dessing up on the uniform thing is too cliche'

Thoughts?

So they have a base that is fairly safe from being overun by a large force of men. They may have some things to keep them save from a high-altitude bombing. But their main worrry is probably going to be a squad of commandos OR a superhuman group. What sort of things should be standard for defenses to gaurd against the good guys. And once those defenses are set up, what means would make for a good plot to get the heroes past most of the defenses.

While the base will have some "high tech" defenses, they will not be many in nature. I am keeping 1983 mostly with some advaced tech available but either hideously expensive OR draws too much power.

One of our heroes is being hunted by the group. Not for anything she did but because she was a former spy and Terror Inc. has decided to remove those people from existance.

One of the spies from the characters old team sent her a message regarding the threat and the murder of former team members. Two other members are in hiding and the one who wrote the message is running and hiding. One thought is for the team to finally catch up/rescue the former team mate and perhaps some of the goons may provide a means into the fort/base. But I am not sure if the whole, dessing up on the uniform thing is too cliche'

Thoughts?

The best defense for a superteam base is the superteam itself. Since the real threat is another superteam, the defenses should serve three main purposes.

1) Dealing with minor issues, so the supers aren't bothered with every little thing.

2) Intelligence. Let the team know who's coming, and where they are. If the team can take them, they move in. If the attack looks too powerful, bug out. Sensors, surveillance, probing attacks by underlings can work well. "They took down Squad Bravo without breaking a sweat, and that one's a mentalist."

3) Impairment. Slow the attackers down enough for the team to get away if necessary. If a counterattack is planned, the defenses help wear the attackers down and stack the deck further in the defender's favor. Knowing where the secret doors and minefields are is a big advantage in a fight.

The whole dress up in the uniforms bit is either cliche' or classic, depending on your taste. For a group like Terror Inc. which issues its agents feature-concealing skull-mask helmets, I'd go with classic. :D There's also coming in from an angle the sensors/defenses might not cover (the former spy might know this) like underground, underwater, parachute drop, etc. Then the superworld options like stealth fields, teleportation, shrinking the whole team, etc.

I am looking at a place that is somewhat mountainous and also not close to civilization. The base may be built largely into a mountain.

Transport takes palace via some air vehicles and some ground vehicles.

Where terrain-wise?

What I mean is handling things like flying, desolid, and invisible people. While I may want the base to be "castle like" to stick too close to that model would make the base very vulnerable.

There was something like what I would want in one of my ICE Star Law modules but It wasn't quite there. A little too small.

I have about a month or so before the confrontation so that gives me time.

The best defense for a superteam base is the superteam itself. Since the real threat is another superteam, the defenses should serve three main purposes.

1) Dealing with minor issues, so the supers aren't bothered with every little thing.

2) Intelligence. Let the team know who's coming, and where they are. If the team can take them, they move in. If the attack looks too powerful, bug out. Sensors, surveillance, probing attacks by underlings can work well. "They took down Squad Bravo without breaking a sweat, and that one's a mentalist."

3) Impairment. Slow the attackers down enough for the team to get away if necessary. If a counterattack is planned, the defenses help wear the attackers down and stack the deck further in the defender's favor. Knowing where the secret doors and minefields are is a big advantage in a fight.

The whole dress up in the uniforms bit is either cliche' or classic, depending on your taste. For a group like Terror Inc. which issues its agents feature-concealing skull-mask helmets, I'd go with classic. :D There's also coming in from an angle the sensors/defenses might not cover (the former spy might know this) like underground, underwater, parachute drop, etc. Then the superworld options like stealth fields, teleportation, shrinking the whole team, etc.

I am thinking about 100 security/military and perhaps another 10 or so field agents (the rest are in the field)

Since they are strong with terrorism they do not rely on military strikes like Viper. The 100 people should be enough to not only defend the base vs. any sizable attack that they should expect, but also provide extas to provide for other services (such as working with field agents as needed)

On the exterior, a great amount of training goes on. Groups pay $$$ to have their people trained. In the interior, weapon development, vehicles, security, communications and luxury rooms for the supers. "basement' holds the jail, and interrogation areas.

Below that the base is run by the drive from an alien ship. Muerte has not been able to figure out how it works but has been able to use it to provide a great deal of energy to the base.

I may just stick the whole thing in a mountain.

Another question. How big? As in how large a staff/garrison and what is the purpose?

What I mean is handling things like flying, desolid, and invisible people. While I may want the base to be "castle like" to stick too close to that model would make the base very vulnerable.

There was something like what I would want in one of my ICE Star Law modules but It wasn't quite there. A little too small.

I have about a month or so before the confrontation so that gives me time.

One thing you can do to warn against any x-ray vision types is to simply place geiger counters (hidden in walls or elsewise out of the way), rigged to an alarm system if background radiation increases above a certain level. I know you didn't ask about that, but just pointing that out.

Radar is completely do-able, and should pick up any flying / invisible types if they are only vs. sight / sound. Hook it up to a radio (sending a friend/foe query) and pop-up missile launcher (if the right response code isn't provided).

As to dealing with desolid, unless the whole castle is built new, if there's something significant below-ground I'd let desolid characters have fairly free reign in the above-ground parts. However, I'd make their lives much more difficult below-ground. My VIPER bases often have their undergound sections encased and walled with a foot-thick casing with relatively thin (1/4-inch to 3/4-inch) layers of: steel, water, ceramic tile, radioactive metal, air, electrified wire, stone, wood, thin sheets of silver and gold foil... you get the picture. A grab bag of things that different common types of Desolidification *can't* pass through. Basically, you're buying Affects Desolidified on the walls of that portion of the castle, plus any other above-ground areas that you want to cover similarly.

Weapons? For 1983, you gotta have pop-out blasters or lasers, but preferrably blasters.

I haven't found a good map in the 'free' category that may be of use.

But I have actually been asking all the questions because I am getting reacquainted with my mapping program, Campaign Cartographer.

Can’t promise anything, but it is a big maybe :D

Since your alien ship generates a lot of power for the base, if you do use a castle as the basic plan you could have Muerte install force-field generators in the various turrets to project a force dome over the top of the castle. That could easily be turned off to allow VTOL aircraft to land in the courtyard -- which might also allow flying heroes a brief moment to slip in unobserved.

Since your alien ship generates a lot of power for the base' date=' if you do use a castle as the basic plan you could have Muerte install force-field generators in the various turrets to project a force dome over the top of the castle. That could easily be turned off to allow VTOL aircraft to land in the courtyard -- which might also allow flying heroes a brief moment to slip in unobserved.[/quote']

Easy there Lord Tweety :tsk:

An Evil Dark Lord needs no assistance in screwing up......

It's in the job description :D

Hey' date=' this is Dr. Destroyer Lite we're talking about, not Sauron 2000. :P[/quote']

Careful....even a Mini-Destroyer has feelings you know....

And I have heard that the terrifying menace Foxbat has taken up the profession of assassin for hire :eek:

Fortunately the only character that has desolid is one who has the limit of not passing through solid objects. I like the idea of using various materials to keep people who do have DESOLID to pass through. Perhaps even a hand wavium for some composite material that will not allow desolid. I like the Affects Desolid. I have wondered how to stop that power.

Pressure plates, light beam curtians are all standard 80's technology. I would like to place them so that they are logical. You need to figure that in the normal operation of the base people would on occasion make mistakes and trigger an alarm.

I think that with a laser/blaster they will be for large items only. No personal weapons that utilize this technology has effectivly been built yet.

Thanks.

One thing you can do to warn against any x-ray vision types is to simply place geiger counters (hidden in walls or elsewise out of the way), rigged to an alarm system if background radiation increases above a certain level. I know you didn't ask about that, but just pointing that out.

Radar is completely do-able, and should pick up any flying / invisible types if they are only vs. sight / sound. Hook it up to a radio (sending a friend/foe query) and pop-up missile launcher (if the right response code isn't provided).

As to dealing with desolid, unless the whole castle is built new, if there's something significant below-ground I'd let desolid characters have fairly free reign in the above-ground parts. However, I'd make their lives much more difficult below-ground. My VIPER bases often have their undergound sections encased and walled with a foot-thick casing with relatively thin (1/4-inch to 3/4-inch) layers of: steel, water, ceramic tile, radioactive metal, air, electrified wire, stone, wood, thin sheets of silver and gold foil... you get the picture. A grab bag of things that different common types of Desolidification *can't* pass through. Basically, you're buying Affects Desolidified on the walls of that portion of the castle, plus any other above-ground areas that you want to cover similarly.

Weapons? For 1983, you gotta have pop-out blasters or lasers, but preferrably blasters.