Building the Perfect Beast

Blue

Well, maybe not perfect...

I've got a situation where a player is trying to clone someone. That's right. A HERO is trying to clone someone. Now this cries out for all kinds of mayhem and chaos (and it likely will be affected thusly) but this brought up a question that I can't currently answer.

I'm trying to use the base's very minor 20pt universal pool that is connected to the labs to make a sort of summoned creature. Does this sound reasonable for a one-time adventure use:

Summoning: Clone of the Original, 1 Charge that never recovers. Focus (Materials that are extremely difficult to obtain: DNA and various specific chemical agents). Requires Skill Roll (a specific science, maybe several). Side Effect (Failure of Roll causes Full Active Cost side effect). There are several other limitations (I don't have the power with me).

What it comes out to is something outrageously big: LIke a 450pt creature being summoned for the mere cost of the 20pts in the pool. Based on the somewhat vague description I've given you, Am I violating any rules that you can see? Particularly regarding the limits of power pools. (Consider it a Cosmic power pool except it requires a skill roll for our purposes).

Unless you're using different house rules, the active points in a power inside a VPP can't exceed the points in the pool. A 20 point pool can't have powers with more than 20 active points. At best, you'll get a 100 point summon.

You can kind of get around this with a series of Aid effects aiding Aid effects until the pool gets high enough to do what you want, but it's cheesy.

Originally posted by OddHat

Unless you're using different house rules, the active points in a power inside a VPP can't exceed the points in the pool. A 20 point pool can't have powers with more than 20 active points. At best, you'll get a 100 point summon.

You can kind of get around this with a series of Aid effects aiding Aid effects until the pool gets high enough to do what you want, but it's cheesy.

Yeh, that's pretty much the rule I was looking for. I may just have to go Off the books for this one. The hero/player is crazy and it's a beautiful opportunity to have something happen that's strange and interesting that I hadn't planned on.

I may just have to go illegal for this.

I also think you'll have to go illegal if you want the beast to do anything outside the base. I don't have the book handy but I believe you can't have these base characters go out and perform like regular flexible Summoned and Followers and the like.

But yeah, I'd go for it this way if it's a one-shot.

Originally posted by JmOz

Well to make it legal with a 20 point pool you could:

Summon: Proto Life Form:

(All proto life form stats are half that of a starting character, Str 5, Con 5, etc)

Proto Life form has ONE power

170 Multiform (850 point form)

Egad!!!!

Actually, I'd just say wing it. If it's part of the plot, something the characters have to deal with, then it doesn't cost points.

If you want to make it legal, then use transform, and use the "make something from thin air" rule. Even though normally summon should be used for effects that create characters, in this case you are looking to permanently create something; it shouldn't be subject to dispulsion and it should be independant of its creator.

I think you're only bet is to go with Transform. A Summoned Multiform character will definitely not work. The base character for the Multiform has to be the more expensive character. Otherwise it starts costing 1 for 1, rather than 1 for 5. You really would not be gaining anything there. Besides, it is a hack. The Multiform isn't really intended to give you a more powerful form for less points.

Transform, on the other hand, can 1.) Create things out of nothing, and 2.) Make a character more powerful (though maybe temporarily--this shouldn't be a problem for an NPC).

For the purposes of correctness, you might use a Summon to get the basic body, then swith to a Physical Transform followed by a Mental Transform to make an exact copy, then a Spiritual Transform to make the clone really "An Exact Clone of Joe."

It does sound a little bit shaky to have only a 20 point VPP clone a powerful character, though.