Help with Soloman Grundy Write-Up

djday38

Hi Guys,

I am currently writing up Soloman Grundy for my Dc/Marvel character project and I have come across a couple of things I want some advice over.

In many descriptions of him I have found he has some power to absorb energy and then release it in some way.

Personally I have never seen him use these powers and they seem strange and out of place for him.

But they keep cropping up again and again in info on the character.

So my question is what are these powers and whats the best way to represent them? or are they powers just used in a one off story arc and not really a real part of the character?

any help would be much appreciated.

rgds

Dean

Originally posted by McCoy

Never saw Grundy with an absorption power. Thought he was basically a golem, a brick with full life support. Due to some pecularities of his origin, he was immune to the powers of the Golden Age Green Lantern.

That is because, since the man who became Solomon Grundy drouned in the swamp, somehow the wood in the swamp got into his system...and whatever revied him from the dead infused the wood into his body. Since the Golden Age Green Lantern had a limitation about wood, Grundy could basicly walk all over the Golden Age GL.

And, if I remember corectly, the energy absorber was The Shaggy Man, not Grundy.

As for powers for Solomon Grundy, give him some life suport and 40 STR at 0END (He can be taken down, thoe. Batman once defeted him by tranqulising some meat he gave him to eat). Remember to also give him a large AK: Gothem City Swere System. And the Psychological Limatation (or Physical Limitation) Amnisa: Can't Remember ANYTHING From Before His Revival. And in his Life Suport, give him Imunity to ageing (He fought the Golden Age Green Lantern in GL's prime, and the Batman).

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

I have read some of those stories. Give him a 60 point VPP with "no conscious control" for GM Fiat abilities.

This is proably because the writers did not remember he had such powers. So, thay fail to take them in acount in the curent batch of stories thay tell with him. No biggie. If you want to give him such powers, give it to him. If not...your free to exclude them. It's your write up, you know.

Originally posted by steriaca

This is proably because the writers did not remember he had such powers. So, thay fail to take them in acount in the curent batch of stories thay tell with him. No biggie. If you want to give him such powers, give it to him. If not...your free to exclude them. It's your write up, you know.

Actually, NCC woks quite well. The writers who used these abilities always showed Grundy as barely even aware it was happening, much less remotely in control of the ability.

The recent Starman book gave some new data on how he works. When one dies, another is reborn, generally with some differences in personality. This provides an explanation why he has varied from a brainless monster to a...well, less brainless still-monster. He's never exactly been bright. Perhaps only a very few versions had the energy thing going. That would be my take, anyway, as I would leave the energy powers out.

Originally posted by Cybernaut

Forgive me if my ignorance is showing, but all I know of Grundy is what I saw on The Superfriends as a kid. In the comics, was he the big dumb lug they portrayed him as on the cartoon or not? Or was it maybe an act to lull his enemies into underesteemating him?:confused:

It depends really. While it is true that Grundy has never really been bright, his intelligence has varied in his various appearences. Sometimes he has near human intelligence, sometimes he's a dumb lug like he is in the cartoon. In his Starman appearences, he seemed to be of moderate intelligence with a speech impediment. His personality changes each time he revives from his death, most of the time he's evil but once in a great while he'll come back with a good personality, as he did in Starman.

Also, I belive his strength level varies with each revival as well.

Originally posted by Twilight

It depends really. While it is true that Grundy has never really been bright, his intelligence has varied in his various appearences. Sometimes he has near human intelligence, sometimes he's a dumb lug like he is in the cartoon. In his Starman appearences, he seemed to be of moderate intelligence with a speech impediment. His personality changes each time he revives from his death, most of the time he's evil but once in a great while he'll come back with a good personality, as he did in Starman.

Also, I belive his strength level varies with each revival as well.

A few hacks have used him as a DCU Hulk, however he's generally brighter than that. At best an "8" in Hero terms, I'd say.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Spooky. I looked at that write up and said... oh an old Sam Bell writeup. Then I saw MY name at the bottom.... when Did I do that? (a while back it seems)

I have used many parts of your write up as an excellent base (especially the disadvantages) and then diverged from there.

Thanks to everybody who has replied so far. I think I will go with the suggestion of Energy Absorbtion linked to a small VPP with no consious control.

Thoughts?

rgds

Dean

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

Does anyone know why Grundy was obsessed with stealing Superman's cape?

I believe he somehow got it into his head thatb the cape was the source of Superman's ability to fly, or something like that.

Fairly typical Grundy - once an idea stuck in there, it was around for the long term. And his ideas were rarely right. "He is not dead. There was no flash of light."