Sixth Edition Showcase #3: Area Of Effect And Damage Shield

Steve Long

A Statement Of Purpose: As we build up to the release of 6E, I thought it would be fun to showcase something in the 6E rules that I think HERO fans will particularly like or find useful. The Sixth Edition Showcases won’t be lengthy or detail-filled, but hopefully they’ll whet your appetite for 6E. I plan to post one a week, though not necessarily on the same day each week.

Naturally, you’re welcome to discuss each Showcase to your heart’s content — praise it, complain about it, whatever you like. However, generally speaking, I’m not going to participate in the conversation or answer any questions. I’ll say pretty much all I want to say in each Showcase post. ;)

I was planning to post this tomorrow, but since it’s Rod Currie’s birthday and all Canada is rejoicing, I figured I’d go ahead and post today. ;) So, on to this week’s showcase! The subject:

Area Of Effect and Damage Shield

There are several changes to the Area Of Effect Advantage that I think HERO gamers will really like.

First, I’ve changed Area Of Effect so that it’s a straightforward purchase, with the size of the Area depending on the value of the Advantage. Instead of paying +1 and determining the size of the Area based on the power’s Active Points, the size of the Area depends on the value of the Advantage — smaller Areas have smaller costs, and as the cost increases so does the size. Not only does this provide greater flexibility, it’s easier to work with for many powers, since you don’t have to re-calculate the cost of the power sans AoE to determine the Area’s size. For nearly all powers within the “typical” range of Active Points found in campaigns, this method also has the benefit of being either cheaper, or at most of equal cost. By the time it becomes more expensive you’re usually well beyond the range of power most GMs are willing to let PCs have. ;)

Second, Explosion has been folded into AoE as a modifier to that Advantage. This saves some space in the book, but more importantly it makes it possible to build things like Cone Explosions and Line Explosions more easily.

Third, I’ve added a type of Area called Surface. This allows a character to apply a power to a surface (such as the floor, or a wall), then have that power automatically affect anyone who touches that surface. (Typically these powers are Constant, of course, so the effect can last for awhile.) I’m sure you can easily think of lots of applications, such as creating ice sheets on the ground or electrified fences. But the power construct that really sold me on this concept was the old Superman chestnut, “I use my heat vision to make his gun so hot he has to let it go!”. That’s AoE (Surface) applied to the gun; if the guy holding the gun doesn’t let go, he takes damage from the red-hot metal.

Once I began thinking about the possibilities in Area Of Effect (Surface), it changed my thinking about how to revamp that old HERO System favorite, Damage Shield. I’d initially planned to revise it using Trigger, but then a better idea hit me: a Damage Shield is just a Constant Area Of Effect (Surface) applied to one’s self — the Surface is the character’s body. Anyone who touches it, or gets touched by it in certain ways, suffers the effect. Conceptually and mathematically this worked out quite well, and I think you’re going to have a lot of fun with it.

In the Credit Where Credit’s Due Department, I should point out that this is a perfect example of the 6E Forum working to its ideal best. Area Of Effect (Surface) wasn’t my idea initially; the person I saw suggesting it (and AFAIK the first one to come up with the idea, or at least voice it publicly) was GamePhil. He sorta tossed it out there, and I picked it up and ran with it. That’s just the sort of thing I wanted the 6E Forum to do. ;)

And now, as a little Showcase #3 bonus, here’s a sample page from 6E1! It shows you a bit of Fred’s layout style as well as a piece of Fraim Bros. art that I really like. Caveat: it hasn’t been final edited yet, so a word here and there may change. ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sixth Edition Showcase #3: Area Of Effect And Damage Shield

AFAIK that's not Signal Ghost. It's just something the inimitable Fraims came up with. One of the benefits to doing the "art list" for a book like 6E is that I don't really have to specify scenes -- I just say, "Hey, Fraims -- we need X pages of art, mixed genres, mostly action-oriented stuff." Then we sit back and wait to see what comes in. ;) In this case I think the Fraims were just illustrating that old Science Fiction favorite, the Stealth Field Suit.

In light of recent events in the world of politics, I was kinda thinking that if you changed the face and hair just a *bit,* and added glasses, we would learn that Sarah Palin has given up being governor so she can fight crime as Stealth Lass. ;)

AFAIK that's not Signal Ghost. It's just something the inimitable Fraims came up with. One of the benefits to doing the "art list" for a book like 6E is that I don't really have to specify scenes -- I just say, "Hey, Fraims -- we need X pages of art, mixed genres, mostly action-oriented stuff." Then we sit back and wait to see what comes in. ;) In this case I think the Fraims were just illustrating that old Science Fiction favorite, the Stealth Field Suit.

In light of recent events in the world of politics, I was kinda thinking that if you changed the face and hair just a *bit,* and added glasses, we would learn that Sarah Palin has given up being governor so she can fight crime as Stealth Lass. ;)

Either way... the picture is awesome.

I dunno about these rules changes though.... I think you've covered too much area at once :P

I was planning to post this tomorrow' date=' but since it’s Rod Currie’s birthday and all Canada is rejoicing, I figured I’d go ahead and post today. ;) So, on to this week’s showcase![/quote']

[rejoice]All Canada now - when 6e comes out, these changes should let our Rejoicing field cover all North America, possibly the world.

I was planning to post this tomorrow, but since it’s Rod Currie’s birthday and all Canada is rejoicing, I figured I’d go ahead and post today. ;)

I feel so honoured. It brings a tear to my eye.

:weep:

Whether AoE (surface) works for damage shield depends a lot on how Continuous works in 6e. The basic problem is that a Continuous attack that sticks to the target is really more useful than one that sticks to an area (because targets can avoid the area), and Continuous attacks vs special defenses are more useful than ones vs standard defenses. This means that for very simple things (i.e. create a bonfire: Xd6 killing, Continuous, Area) you're paying an extra +1 advantage for something that's really only marginally better than a regular area attack.

I really like the changes to AoE; just after the 6E forums closed I was working on a number of AoE weapons and felt a bit hamstrung by the automatic assignment of how large an area the attack would cover. This solves the problem I was having quite elegantly.

Also like the look of the sample page.

Neato. While I never really had a problem with the calculation of AoE, I do like that the "area" and power level of a construct are a bit more independent now. And I imagine the cost will work out better for more scenarios. I can't wait to give it a try and verify. :) The Damage Shield change also sounds positive, though I wonder about the old "Constantness" part of it too.

I like layout. It looks sharp, professional.

As for the AoE changes. I like it. I also like the way Damage Shield plays into it. It leaves me with one point of clarification, though. Is a damage shield now AoE 1 Hex, Surface (self)?

Second, Explosion has been folded into AoE as a modifier to that Advantage. This saves some space in the book, but more importantly it makes it possible to build things like Cone Explosions and Line Explosions more easily.

Not a bad idea. Explosion really is an AOE variant anyway. I wonder if it will still be possible to vary the fade rate for explosion

Third, I’ve added a type of Area called Surface. This allows a character to apply a power to a surface (such as the floor, or a wall), then have that power automatically affect anyone who touches that surface. (Typically these powers are Constant, of course, so the effect can last for awhile.) I’m sure you can easily think of lots of applications, such as creating ice sheets on the ground or electrified fences. But the power construct that really sold me on this concept was the old Superman chestnut, “I use my heat vision to make his gun so hot he has to let it go!”. That’s AoE (Surface) applied to the gun; if the guy holding the gun doesn’t let go, he takes damage from the red-hot metal.

Once I began thinking about the possibilities in Area Of Effect (Surface), it changed my thinking about how to revamp that old HERO System favorite, Damage Shield. I’d initially planned to revise it using Trigger, but then a better idea hit me: a Damage Shield is just a Constant Area Of Effect (Surface) applied to one’s self — the Surface is the character’s body. Anyone who touches it, or gets touched by it in certain ways, suffers the effect. Conceptually and mathematically this worked out quite well, and I think you’re going to have a lot of fun with it.

Very different. I'm curious about what the base effect will be and how much increasing it will cost.

I like layout. It looks sharp, professional.

As for the AoE changes. I like it. I also like the way Damage Shield plays into it. It leaves me with one point of clarification, though. Is a damage shield now AoE 1 Hex, Surface (self)?

Well probably not 1 Hex, since Hexes are no longer used as a unit of measurement in 6e.

Interesting changes. Anyone know what the base standard for AOE: Surface will be?

While I have no doubt that a number of people do, it should probably be left to Steve to decide what information he wants to have "leaked".

While I have no doubt that a number of people do' date=' it should probably be left to Steve to decide what information he wants to have "leaked".[/quote']

I don't know the nature of any NDAs that might be in place but I assumed if they did and could they might and if they didn't or couldn't they wouldn't but there was harm in asking either way. :)

Looks really good in theory. The devil (or the angel) will be in the details.

I liked the page sample. It's not an especially fancy layout, but it's extremely clean and the power description was clear, consise, and unambiguous. Well done.

Whether AoE (surface) works for damage shield depends a lot on how Continuous works in 6e. The basic problem is that a Continuous attack that sticks to the target is really more useful than one that sticks to an area (because targets can avoid the area)' date=' and Continuous attacks vs special defenses are more useful than ones vs standard defenses. This means that for very simple things (i.e. create a bonfire: Xd6 killing, Continuous, Area) you're paying an extra +1 advantage for something that's really only marginally better than a regular area attack.[/quote']

Just wondering, where are you getting the value of +1 from? Did he give any indication of the value of Area of Effect or AoE (Surface)? I don’t think we know the value of Continuous or AoE (unless I missed something) and you do have to take into consideration that some powers start out as Continuous.

It's not an especially fancy layout

Even when we have color to play around with, it's still our intention to try to emphasize utility and functionality first and foremost. RPG books, especially rules-oriented ones, are ultimately tools that you use, so they should be easy to use. But of course, one of the benefits to using color is that it can enhance utility. For example, the Stop Sign and Caution Sign icons (and a couple others I've added) are much easier to see in color.

The picture was very cool too. Doesn't look like the artwork will be problem at all. I don't really care that much about art in books but its nice to have. It's basically gravy, IMO, but in this case the gravy looks good.

I don't know the nature of any NDAs that might be in place but I assumed if they did and could they might and if they didn't or couldn't they wouldn't but there was harm in asking either way. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like I was telling you you shouldn't have asked. Just giving a possible reason why people who know might not answer. :)