Swimming: 3"/6"

Cost Powers END

15 Luck 3d6

Perks

0 Longship and Crew

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Skills

The Gothic Arts of Pillaging, Pilfering, Sacking, Looting, Ravaging and Plundering

3 1) PS: Viking Captain 12-

3 2) Oratory 12-

3 3) Concealment 12-

4 4) Navigation (Marine) 13-

1 5) TF Longship

3 6) Evaluate Treasure 12-

3 7) Stealth 12-

3 8) Climbing 12-

8 9) Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Marine, Temperate/Subtropical) 13-

4 10) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

5 11) +1 with HTH Combat

3 12) +1 with Swords

3 13) Tactics 12-

3 Traveler

2 1) AK: All seas traversed by Vikings 12-

2 2) AK: England 12-

2 3) AK: France 12-

1 4) AK: Helgeland 11-

3 5) AK: Scandinavia 13-

3 6) CK: Oslo 13-

Languages

4 1) Language: Norse (idiomatic)

2 2) Language: Anglo Saxon (completely fluent)

2 3) Language: Frankish (completely fluent)

1 4) Language: Runes (Literate)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 98

Total Cost: 150

75+ Disadvantages

10 Reputation: Horrible, 11-

5 Hunted: Tax Collectors 8- (As Pow, They never follow when he goes viking, But they know where he lives, Mildly Punish)

5 Social Limitation: Married to Helga (Occasionally, Minor)

15 Unluck: 3d6

10 Dependent NPC: Honi and Hamlet 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

10 Physical Limitation: Horns fall off if he lies. (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Comic Viking (Common, Strong)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Atilla the Hun; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Background/History: In 1973 cartoonist Dik Browne introduced the world to a Viking who would become as well known as Erik the Red and Leif the Lucky put together. Today Chris Browne, the son of the original cartoonist, continues Hagar's saga in comics pages published in over a dozen languages and distributed around the world in lands even the far ranging Norse explorers of yore never dreamed existed. Hagar the Horrible ostensibly lives in Oslo, Norway, some time during the "Viking Age" but his world is an ahistorical generic "medieval" world in which he can fight Atilla the Hun one week, and meet Robin Hood or King Arthur the next.

Personality/Motivation: Hagar is a comic strip Viking. When considering what he may do in any situation, a foremost consideration is what would be funny, or what would be most likely to have the most humorous outcome. If he must choose for example between attacking a castle or raiding a wizard's tower, he's off to seige the wizard - since Hagar and his hapless band interacting with unpredictable magical defenses and curses is more likely to provide laughs than a straightforward assault on a castle. If he must choose between looting a storehouse of food and wine or rustling a herd of sheep, he'll remember hearing a rumor that sheep are in demand in Helgeland - because a herd of sheep aboard a longship is bound to be good for a few laughs. He'll conform to Viking stereotype when it's funny (such as wearing the historically inaccurate horned helmet - all the time - and so does his wife, kids, dog, duck....) and subvert the stereotype when THAT is what's funny.

Quote: As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Powers/Tactics: Although not the hero of song and saga he wishes to be, nor as bloodthirsty as his reputation suggests, Hagar does know how to use a sword. He even knows enough tactics to know that one should pillage THEN burn - it's just that in the heat of the moment he may forget.

Hagar has a longship and crew, which have not been statted out in this write up.

Campaign Use: Built on 75 pts plus 75 Disads, Hagar could be a player character in a Fantasy Hero game that is much less serious than most, or comic relief in a more serious but still fantastic type of game. Or by simply changing the Disadvantages Hagar can be made into a perfectly serious and straightforward barbarian leader.

Appearance: Overweight, red haired and red bearded Viking, complete with horned helm.

Hagar the Horrible created by Dik Browne.

Character sheet created by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright palindromedary Enterprises

Re: Hagar the Horrible

Has the Hagar strip been "reinvented"?

It was the April fools version that was done by a different Artist, Wiley Miller to be exact (http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/) I like Wiley's Art and his comic Non Sequitur is funny, in a weird way (Captain Obvious any one). Note the written statement between the frames.

Some days' date=' I imagine Helga would be a Hunted. :)[/quote']

Hm, you may be right....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this is already the second version of the character...

It was the April fools version that was done by a different Artist' date=' Wiley Miller to be exact (http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/) I like Wiley's Art and his comic Non Sequitur is funny, in a weird way (Captain Obvious any one). Note the written statement between the frames.[/quote']

i cuoyln' turn my head enough to read it what'd it say

"Horns fall off"????

Say what??

I'm not sure how long that's been a running gag, or if it's a curse that was put on him or what.

Anone who wants to write up Lucky Eddie, the Longboat, or anyone from the family or the crew, feel free. Personally I see Lucky Eddie as either a Follower or just another Player Character.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that aside from the first mate and that guy Dirty Dirk, Hagar's crew is mostly anonymous aren't they?

Some days' date=' I imagine Helga would be a Hunted. :)[/quote']

Shje sure did a good job in a comic-book length adventure (I once had a collection of Hagar stories that functioned like a graphic novel) in which Helga sent Hagar off to find a husband for Honi.

Hagar, to his delight, finds an entire convention of bachelors ("This will be a cinch, boys!... What do single men know about fighting?"). At the convention, he rejects several men until he finds a younger, slimmer version of himself. He brings Hagar II back home, only for the horrifed Helga to kick them both out. "But LOOK at him honey! He's a prize!" "I look at him and see what I got -- the consolation prize!"

Anone who wants to write up Lucky Eddie... feel free. Personally I see Lucky Eddie as either a Follower or just another Player Character.

Lucius Alexander

Right now the main thing I remember about Lucky Eddie is that he should have at least 5 dice of Unluck.