Military Hand Signals

mattingly

Re: Military Hand Signals

LOL!

This reminds me of an old documentary I watched about carrier operations, and the hand signs that the flight deck crews used. There was one in which you make a fist with one hand, wrap the other hand around the fist and forcibly separate the two. It supposedly meant "Get Your Head Out Of Your A--"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, memories. A few years ago, I was playing a D&D 3e game. Three of us at the table were in the military or are vets, so we were familiar with hand-signals. One of the players who was never in took it upon himself to try to use hand-signals to guide as we were sneaking into an Orc Stronghold. For about 2 minutes, he was waving his hands and arms in an attempt to convey what he'd seen. What he'd forgotten was that we all had mass-invisibility cast on the party not to long ago. So the following conversation went something like this:

Me: "Um, what are doing?

Other Player: I'm signaling that there is large group of Orcs in the next room.

Me: Dude? We're invisible.

Other player: ....Oh.

We had to stop the game for a good five minutes get control of our laughter. The other player was mollified and we gave him a bit of fun grief for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

You can find the actual ones here:

http://www.lefande.com/hands.html

We should figure out some more for things PCs come up against. Fist held horizontal, two fingers curved, hand goes down like a snake biting something = vampire. One finger pointed makes an X over your eye = cannot be seen by human vision. One finger pointed makes X over and to one side of head = cannot be seen by machines (originally X made over helmet-mounted cameras). Hand up, figures separated and waving = flame weapon. Fist up with pinky finger out = only. First two fingers in V thumb between them = aim (for)