End of beta thoughts.

cutsleeve

So the Open Betas over and its one day till the "head start" and 3 days till release. How do you feel about CO so far happy, sad, giddy, perturbed, etc.

So far having played only about a week in open beta I have to say I'm fairly satisfied. I'm sure they need to do more tweaking but for me the game is playable and is fun. I'm satisfied with the way character creation is handled and the way missions are presented. I haven't experienced significant lag except during the Mega-Destroid fights and even then it just caused a bit of jitter. The Powerhouse is a great idea which I hope will appear in future MMO's in some form. The zones are huge with alot to explore and the art, graphics, and style are very good also they have a nice variety to them. Travel Powers are robust with many options which cover all of the major modes of Superhero transportation except vehicals. Overall it does a good job of making you feel like your playing a character in a comic book universe. Hopefully over time players will get more costume, power, and customization options but as it stands its pretty good as is.

How does everyone else feel about the game now that betas over.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: End of beta thoughts.

My primary thought, at the end of open beta, is that they shouldn't have been handing out open beta keys after the open beta period was over. I'm also wondering how those of us who were told we'd "get in early" when we pre-purchased the game yesterday will get in early if they aren't letting any more people in early.

I think the game had real potential, but I couldn't evaluate it because my lag was so horrific. Then again, I found out that I was defrauded when I upgraded my desktop so that might have a good bit to do with the lag issue.

Overall, I still think it's probably worth sitting out until the first patch. Call me cynical, but I still believe that release until launch is really just another beta test.

I enjoyed it immensely. I like the character creation/development. The fact the game is really based around you choosing at least 2 frameworks to work with is cool, though sometimes hard to get your head around. I say at least 2 because almost none of the frameworks have enough powers to fill all the ones you will get by 40. The storylines are fun. The nods to movies/television is great (first one appears in the tutorial from a secondary quest giver). Finally, the Champions Universe stuff is awesome to run across for those of us who have been around forever.

I bought a lifetime subscription because I know that it is a game I can see myself coming back to over and over.

I like the fact that it is highly solo/duoable. Very few things at this point require being in a 5 man team. So far (i haven't gotten to the Unity stuff) I like that the "Raid" style of mobs aren't in Raids, but are open areas that as many individual heroes can join in on as want (the Mega-Destroid event was very much similar to these things, as is Grond).

I've been satisfied by the game, and I'm happy I was able to get a lifetime subscription. I expect to be playing for several years.

I'm likely going to be playing a martial artist/powered armor mix for my main. When I played in beta, that mix gave me decent HTH attacks and powered armor is where you find the invulnerability power. Together it makes for a good agile brick mix. Plus, powered armor opens up some energy projector powers like eye beams.

I think it will last me a good 6 months, which is how long I subscribed for. After that, I expect my attention will wander, though I'll probably resub again at some point in the future if the game keeps maturing and content continues to be added.

I was in beta for a long time, and the improvements made by Cryptic have been tremendous. CO has gone from a game I was so dissapointed with on first look to one I have already subscribed to.

Character customisation is, of course, a highlight, but there is much more to love about the game, that more than make up for its shortcomings.

There are plenty of missions that echo the standard MMO 'go there, fetch that, kill those, return to me' types, but there are many more that left me grinning. One in particular made me feel more of a superhero than anything in any other game, and there was no fighting involved.

If you've a decent machine, then the graphics are very pretty. I'm aware that many people have suffered from lag, but playing here in wind-swept Cornwall, with graphics turned up to maximum, I was lag-free, so I suspect that it's an ISP issue.

Character creation can be either as complex or simple as you'd want. Either going with existing frameworks (Might, various Energy Projectors, Telepathy, ect), or building a custom character that can mix and match from all disciplines. I suspect it's this option most Champions vets will choose, but you'll make a bunch of mistakes before you hit it right.

The bits I don't like? Microtransactions (with the dreadfully named 'Crypic Bucks'), 8 character slots per account (although you can both buy more and 'earn' more through play), limited routes through the game (although post release expansions should fix that, with Crypic apparently keen to add more locations).

The bits that make you grin? Beating Leech up. Making Foxbat eat that stupid gun. Finding in-game an issue of the Champions comic, that featured the 'fictional' team of Seeker, Obsidian, ect. Running from Grond. Singing Robot Cowboys.

It's fun. It's not perfect and there's certainly plenty more to do on it, but it is fun.

Oh, I will add I love the cut-scenes when you first appear in a zone (tutorial, desert/canada pre and post crisis, certain missions (including one featuring our favorite wannabe villain)). I not only enjoy the sound of one of the Champions relating the story to us, but the fact that the "fly by" they use is in real time, usually ending with the camera on your character.

I didn't get very far into it, and I'll definitely buy the game, but I'm not totally convinced yet. The things I didn't like are hard to put a finger on. The game just felt... choppy to me. It felt like I was playing underwater. I don't know how else to explain it but gameplay just didn't feel smooth to me. The other thing I'm iffy on is the graphics. Not that they're bad, I would have preferred a different style.

The character creation is very cool, and power customization is an awesome addition (shooting whatever color you want out of your palm, fist or head, is just cool) and character development seems pretty good. I'll definitely be giving this game another chance.

I never tried it, but would The Enforcer have worked? I saw some people with incredibly long names...try to add descriptive adjectives (The Dark Enforcer, The Last Enforcer, The Maniacal Enforcer, etc.) to the beginning of the name that you might like.

My thoughts on the end of beta?

Sucks to be me, as I have no computer capable of playing this incredibly awesome game.

I played the very last few minutes of the beta, before they took the server offline.

I'll say that the graphics issues regarding weird lighting seemed to be much improved. On the other hand, there was massive clipping through the map in the Project Greenskin area. Hopefully they'll fix that back up in an early patch.

I'm one of the folks who is sorely disappointed. I guess if I hadn't been there for the pre-archetype CoH stuff, and hadn't played solid CoH for 5+ years, Champions Online would seem nice to me.

Despite some of the nice features, I can't get past the feeling that Cryptic is serving me twice-baked leftovers without bothering to spice it up. I also don't like the "virtual shards"; I've gotten used to a seamless world, which is like 2005 technology at this point. The 4th Wall is broken constantly for me, so there goes any immersion I might have for my RP.

That said, it will probably succeed as a niche action game for those who just want to get on and kill stuff in a fast-paced way.