Zeppelins

mattingly

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Zeppelins

Sails on airships is a great visual, and a great idea for fantasy, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work in real life. Sails propel regular ships in directions other than straight downwind because of the resistance of the water against the hull of the ship. Airships have nothing to push against, except the medium that is pushing them. I can't see them getting any movement on any heading more than a few degrees off straight downwind.

Sails on airships is a great visual' date=' and a great idea for fantasy, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work in real life. Sails propel regular ships in directions other than straight downwind because of the resistance of the water against the hull of the ship. Airships have nothing to push against, except the medium that is pushing them. I can't see them getting any movement on any heading more than a few degrees off straight downwind.[/quote']

Aerodynamic hull and proper contact surfaces/Airfoils I think are they key to fixing this. The above linked plans include both. Even with fore-n-aft rigged sails tho, I suspect that you still might have issues more than a few points upwind

The idea has never seen much success, as far as I can find out. This guy seems to think he has a better solution in his patent than anything tried before, but as I said I don't know enough about the science to tell if he's just full of it.

Since the Hindenburg, at 800 feet long, had the ability to carry 72 passengers and luggage, and 10 tons of mail and cargo, we could probably figure out how many aircraft a similarly sized dedicated "airborn aircraft carrier" could handle. A typical monoplane fighter or dive bomber might weigh about 2 tons when loaded with fuel. Assuming there was to be refueling, and accomodations for the pilots, and possibly even an armament re-load(I guess you could do that if you could winch up the plane to a small hangar space), maybe 4 tons per plane, plus a few tons for a hangar space. So the AAC, Hindenburg-sized, could carry maybe 4 planes. A little underwhelming. To have one with capacity comparable to ocean-going fleet carriers(60-100 planes), you'd need an airship 2000-2500 feet in length. But one scaled up by 50%(to 1200 feet long) could probably carry a dozen fighter-bombers, enough for a small raid or to sink a destroyer-sized ship. A half-dozen such airborne carriers could carry enough planes to sink a capital ship or take out an enemy airfield.

I dunno enough about airships to do more than speculate, but maybe if you re-designed the hull shape to be more of a lifting body and had some really powerful engines, you could increase proportional lift capacity and get to a more useful-sized airwing.

I think the real potential the USN saw in aircraft-carrying airships in the 1930s were as search / recon platforms. They could travel a lot faster than any ship and' date=' with their aircraft, could scope out huge areas of ocean at a time.[/quote']

That tends to make sense. I think, in modern times, given the relative light weight of unmanned drones, you could kit one out with an AWACS-type radar array, a dozen large and small drones, and maybe some air defense AAMs, and use it as a sort of airborne command center in a region. It could sit and loiter a couple hundred miles away, maybe even getting refueled by another airship periodically, while sending out drones to carry out recon and precision strikes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...