Confusion Field

Asperion

I am creating a major villain who (among other things) can create a confusion field that will make everyone (except himself) uncertain as to what they are doing. Since most heroes in the party have high EGOes (and mental defenses), I would like to avoid the expensive route of extremely powerful mental attack. I was wondering what other routes would work as well (if not better or cheaper).

Re: Confusion Field

A big speed Drain could make people hesitate to act, and the slower party members would just stand in a daze. Other drains (dexterity, intelligence) or equivalent Environmental Controls might also work.

Still, I'd be leaning towards mental power... Uncontrolled Mental Illusions make them unsure of what they are perceiving.

If you are concerned about EGO, you could always make the 'field' a gas cloud and have it 'Based on Con'

Transform: from Character with Conscious Control of Own Actions to Character with No Conscious Control of their Actions.

vs. BODY default or vs. whatever the heck feels right to you for the specific effect maybe INT and maybe AVAD it so it is vs. MD.

I am creating a major villain who (among other things) can create a confusion field that will make everyone (except himself) uncertain as to what they are doing. .

Uncertain in what way? Are they liable to attack each other by mistake, are their combat values penalized, or do their powers manifest oddly?

I have had excellent effect from using a villain with a ranged INT drain. Area Effect' date=' no range plus personal immunity could be brutal.[/quote']

This gets my vote as well.

from 5er, page 37:

Negative Intelligence

At INT 0 or below a character must succeed with an INT Roll to make any decision or else continue doing what he was doing. Performing any sort of Action at all requires an INT Roll. A character with an INT of -30 (or minus his initial INT value, whichever is better for the character) or less (or who fails an INT Roll) may take no new Actions (he continues doing what he was doing last).

Uncertain in what way? Are they liable to attack each other by mistake' date=' are their combat values penalized, or do their powers manifest oddly?[/quote']

It will confuse them as to who they should be fighting, where to land their blows, what power/ability to use, or anything else that is deemed appropriate by the GM (me :D ).

Wasn't there an example of this effect using Change Environment in one of the 5e books? Anybody?

I can't call it to mind, but I am positively _vibrating_ with the certainty that I saw this presented in a 5e book using Change Environment.....

Correctimundo!! UNTIL Super Power Database pg 158, Unclear Thoughts.

I got wondering if an IPE Darkness would do the same thing. This is how I was picturing it:

Darkness (32" Radius): Sight, Hearing, Mental, & Smell/Taste Groups, IPE, Personal Immunity, 1/2 END (187 Real Cost)

The concept of this power is that it confuses everyone as to where the target is. How would this power work for the described effects? Is there any better way to pull the same thing (other than the well-mentioned CE)? All comments welcome and appreciated.