I ruined my campaign

azato

I am not at my best with superhero campaigns. I did a fairly decent job of creating a rather interesting and complicated plot. Things went along fine until, based on some conversations with a player, I "killed" his character. My intent was not to permanently kill him but rather short term and do some fun things with it. He was wanting some changes to his character and as I was killing his character he was completely fine with it. The problem is that once he was dead, the player wanted him to stay dead. He did not like the idea of resurrection. WEELLLLL......I did not see that coming. We also had two people drop from the game at the same time (work and school issues). A new character has been introduced but I have lost my groove. It has been a month since the event and I am at a complete loss. SIGH.

I learned an important lesson.

I am thinking of killing the campaign within the next two sessions and moving to:

1. Fantasy Hero - Greyhawk Campaign (set way back into the history of the region)

2. Apocalyptic Hero - home brew setting

3. Star Hero - The star frontiers volturnus modules.

Re: I ruined my campaign

Bummer.

Did the player know what you intended beforehand?

I have run some intense plotlines (for example, an attempted rape on a female PC in a Harn [relatively realistic medieval fantasy] setting), but have taken the player aside beforehand and gotten his/her buy-in [and if not, the player has veto power on the proposed plotline!]; in the above case, letting her know that the outcome would be okay. (The other players did not, however...)

In the same campaign, a father and his teen-aged daughter were playing, and he had veto power on all proposed plots that he considered inappropriate.

Advice is always cheap. Here is my two cents worth.

Sounds like it wasn't necessarily anything you did, just one of those things. Just in case (if you haven't already), have a friendly talk with your Players and find out if there were any problems with your GMing.

TAKE A BREAK. You don't necessarily have to "kill" your campaign, just put it 'on hold' for a little while. After recharging your batteries, doing a rethink, and so on; you may be keen to return to GMing it. If not, hang onto your campaign notes and material, because lightning can always strike again in several months or a year or so. Seen that happen plenty of times.

Consider having somebody else do the GMing for a little bit, if possible, or play some boardgames. Jumping straight from running one campaign into another, that's entirely up to you but taking a short break to help prevent burn-out seems like an idea. If you MUST jump straight into GMing something new, maybe keep it light to start with.

My two cents worth, anyhow.

I don't see a need to kill the campaign--the events you described aren't because of the campaign--and indeed, it seems it could have happened no matter what campaign you were playing.

Have a talk with your payers, admit what you didnt expect, and see how they feel. You all have effort invested int he current campaign, don't toss it aside due to a little complication or two just yet. Hang in there.

TAKE A BREAK. You don't necessarily have to "kill" your campaign, just put it 'on hold' for a little while. After recharging your batteries, doing a rethink, and so on; you may be keen to return to GMing it. If not, hang onto your campaign notes and material, because lightning can always strike again in several months or a year or so. Seen that happen plenty of times.

Agreed.

I have felt like your players at the end of a campaign. Not because there was any problem with the game just that it was all a bit "intense". A change in pace may be all your players (and you need).

Perhaps you could run some sessions with other characters from your game world? Perhaps agents?

Perhaps (if you are feeling brave) let someone else Ref in your world? Its always interesting to see what other people do with your toys :D

Or maybe a couple of comedy/jokey sessions to clean the pallet? Toon Heroes?

I will talk it over with the players. I am not feeling burned out as much as I have a harder time pulling things together in my head for a super-hero campaign. I could probably just do whatever (simple plots...at lot of action) and get by but creatively I need to do more. The players are happy with the game. They guy whose character died has a new character that he really likes.

Maybe having one of them do a game would be fine. I was hoping, a while back to get them to alternate between games every 4 months, but they felt (I am a newcomer and they are an established group) that was a bad idea because they have historically never gotten a campaign restarted.

They usually play until the GM burns out or the players get tired of a campaign.

Thanks for the therapy session.

Agreed.

I have felt like your players at the end of a campaign. Not because there was any problem with the game just that it was all a bit "intense". A change in pace may be all you players (and you need).

Perhaps you could run some sessions with other characters from your game world? Perhaps agents?

Perhaps (if you are feeling brave) let someone else Ref in your world? Its always interesting to see what other people do with your toys :D

Or maybe a couple of comedy/jokey sessions to clean the pallet? Toon Heroes?

No, I didn't even know it until about 10 minutes before i did it.

Here is what i did know:

1. He wanted his powers to develop independently of his own control. He controlled viruses.

2. His character was a teenager who had some issues and needed to "grow up" a bit.

3. He stated that he was open to surprises.

4. As it was clear that his character was dying (and I could have stopped it) that he was ok with that.

My intent was not to truely kill him off but he just felt that any sort of "resurrection" was just lame.

Bummer.

Did the player know what you intended beforehand?

I have run some intense plotlines (for example, an attempted rape on a female PC in a Harn [relatively realistic medieval fantasy] setting), but have taken the player aside beforehand and gotten his/her buy-in [and if not, the player has veto power on the proposed plotline!]; in the above case, letting her know that the outcome would be okay. (The other players did not, however...)

In the same campaign, a father and his teen-aged daughter were playing, and he had veto power on all proposed plots that he considered inappropriate.

No, I didn't even know it until about 10 minutes before i did it.

Here is what i did know:

1. He wanted his powers to develop independently of his own control. He controlled viruses.

2. His character was a teenager who had some issues and needed to "grow up" a bit.

3. He stated that he was open to surprises.

4. As it was clear that his character was dying (and I could have stopped it) that he was ok with that.

My intent was not to truely kill him off but he just felt that any sort of "resurrection" was just lame.

Y'know, considering that viruses can lie dormant for decades (or longer) in extremely adverse conditions, I can think of some really horrible ways he could be resurrected as an NPC, and possibly a villain/threat.

Yeah...I thought that, but the group and the players wanted him completely dead.

Y'know' date=' considering that viruses can lie dormant for decades (or longer) in extremely adverse conditions, I can think of some really horrible ways he could be resurrected as an NPC, and possibly a villain/threat.[/quote']

One way to split the difference (if your players are interested) would be to pull out Post-Apocalyptic Hero, destroy the world as your PCs know it, and let the ones who are still playing choose between keeping the characters they have or restarting with new ones. Sort of a Post-Apocalyptic Champions, so to speak.

Yeah...I thought that' date=' but the group and the players wanted him completely dead.[/quote']

Well, if they feel that strongly about it, then you really need to honor it. When I retired a long-running character (he rode off into the sunset with his lady love), I really got peeved when the GM tried to bring him back as an NPC without my say-so.

I will talk it over with the players. I am not feeling burned out as much as I have a harder time pulling things together in my head for a super-hero campaign. I could probably just do whatever (simple plots...at lot of action) and get by but creatively I need to do more. The players are happy with the game.

That reminds me of one campaign I played in: the referee said it was going to be just a simple combat oriented game with no sneaky complicated plots or surprises just lots of action. Then he snuck in a sneaky complicated plot and more than a few surprises.

Worked really well, the rotter!

They usually play until the GM burns out or the players get tired of a campaign.

Hmmm. Maybe time to have that difficult discussion. Everyone maybe happy with that situation, even you. But really its better for everyone if you can arrange that breath of fresh air before the burn-out! From your replies I get the feeling that guest refs for the odd game session is what you need. Will give you time to work on your plots and builds up anticipation in your players while you all try something a little different.

Hope all goes well :)

Hmmm. Maybe time to have that difficult discussion. Everyone maybe happy with that situation, even you. But really its better for everyone if you can arrange that breath of fresh air before the burn-out! From your replies I get the feeling that guest refs for the odd game session is what you need. Will give you time to work on your plots and builds up anticipation in your players while you all try something a little different.

Hope all goes well :)

Total agreement.

I must add ... If burn-out is so common that your group takes it for granted (which is what it sounds like to me), then you guys REALLY need to be rethinking how you game.

I will talk it over with the players. I am not feeling burned out as much as I have a harder time pulling things together in my head for a super-hero campaign. I could probably just do whatever (simple plots...at lot of action) and get by but creatively I need to do more. The players are happy with the game. They guy whose character died has a new character that he really likes.

(Bolding above added by me)

I'll play devil's advocate and say that a change of campaign or others GM-ing isn't the way to go. You aren't feeling burned out, and the players are happy with your game. Rather, the two players dropping out (through no fault of yours) and one changing characters (to one he likes) has thrown you out of your groove.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new groove with the new character(s).

Just curious: did any new players join to replace the ones that dropped?

I'd ask the players that dropped if they minded you coming up with an in-game reason for their characters "disappearing" or otherwise not being available. Assuming they're okay with that, I'd come up with a plot that the remaining player characters can dig into. What happend to Captain Fantastic and MegaLad? Alien abduction? Mental tampering? Lost their powers? And why both at once? Turn those lemons into lemonade.

Now, you said you're not as comfortable running a super-hero campaign, so perhaps a change of game is in order. But since your players are happy, and it seemed you were too before your plot and player situation both got thrown askew, I'd try and repair what you have first.

1 person left to take a job 3 hours away. The other person left because of starting school and working a job. There is no chance of one getting back on and little of the second one, at least for a number of months. As far as their characters go, dropping them is not a problem.

No new ones have joined since then. If I do change direction I may gain one or two new people. I have one person I know would like to play, but he would not help my current situation.

I was trying to edge out of Champions for a bit but they were of the firm opinion that stopping was a bad thing. I volunteered to GM because they were finishing up a D&D 3.5 game (which I started at the end of that campaign) and was looking to start something else. I wanted to swing the group to the Hero System (of which two have played in the past) and volunteered to run a Champions game. While I would love play Champions, that is not high on my list for GMing.

(Bolding above added by me)

I'll play devil's advocate and say that a change of campaign or others GM-ing isn't the way to go. You aren't feeling burned out, and the players are happy with your game. Rather, the two players dropping out (through no fault of yours) and one changing characters (to one he likes) has thrown you out of your groove.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new groove with the new character(s).

Just curious: did any new players join to replace the ones that dropped?

I'd ask the players that dropped if they minded you coming up with an in-game reason for their characters "disappearing" or otherwise not being available. Assuming they're okay with that, I'd come up with a plot that the remaining player characters can dig into. What happend to Captain Fantastic and MegaLad? Alien abduction? Mental tampering? Lost their powers? And why both at once? Turn those lemons into lemonade.

Now, you said you're not as comfortable running a super-hero campaign, so perhaps a change of game is in order. But since your players are happy, and it seemed you were too before your plot and player situation both got thrown askew, I'd try and repair what you have first.

Okay, stop worrying and get to work!

(Sorry if that sounded harsh, but you appear to need a spark) :shock:

Stop pining for better days and start creating the game YOU would LOVE to GM. Pick an existing campaign or create your own original, fill it with interesting personalities and amazing locations and set it in motion.

Unveil your masterpiece to players through a series of mysterious stories, or perhaps (if you're into art) untitled pictures. Then distribute essays specific to each player (or character if you're continuing a campaign) to lure them into the depths of your creative scheme. A good story or two can really peak a persons curiosity!

Every moment you waste fretting about the group is a moment you could spend crafting a game everyone (including yourself) will want to join. What do you have to loose? Even if every player within 100 miles shuns your masterpiece, at the very least you've taken the time to stretch your campaign creation muscles and realize a game you've always wanted to see.

It's my experience that players recognize effort and passion in their GMs. Often they'll agree to play games they'd regularly avoid based on their trust in a good storyteller. I have no doubt that the effort you put into your game will produce incredible returns in enjoyment for yourself and everyone else involved. :)

Now, get to it!

I am not so much pining (although it may come across that way) as I am expressing astonishment on how a simple act of a GM can kabosh a campaign. Normally that is the job of the players.

I am going to give the sales pitch tonight (we meet every two weeks) and let them pick (they may say none of the above).

I think the funny thing is that I was more successful than I wanted to be...

I do appreciate the thoughts and comments.

Okay, stop worrying and get to work!

(Sorry if that sounded harsh, but you appear to need a spark) :shock:

Stop pining for better days and start creating the game YOU would LOVE to GM. Pick an existing campaign or create your own original, fill it with interesting personalities and amazing locations and set it in motion.

Unveil your masterpiece to players through a series of mysterious stories, or perhaps (if you're into art) untitled pictures. Then distribute essays specific to each player (or character if you're continuing a campaign) to lure them into the depths of your creative scheme. A good story or two can really peak a persons curiosity!

Every moment you waste fretting about the group is a moment you could spend crafting a game everyone (including yourself) will want to join. What do you have to loose? Even if every player within 100 miles shuns your masterpiece, at the very least you've taken the time to stretch your campaign creation muscles and realize a game you've always wanted to see.

It's my experience that players recognize effort and passion in their GMs. Often they'll agree to play games they'd regularly avoid based on their trust in a good storyteller. I have no doubt that the effort you put into your game will produce incredible returns in enjoyment for yourself and everyone else involved. :)

Now, get to it!

Bob's idea of post-apocalyptic got me thinking. Maybe you can leave the character dead but have his legacy become a major campaign arc. If his SFX were viruses, you could have something virus based create a new problem. Could be super mega swine flu or even a virus is modifying normal people's genetic structure and giving them super abilities. The possibilities are endless, and it could be a really cool tie-in to the character, and that's what comic books are made of.

This keeps the character dead, but has him around a lot in the character's minds. Maybe they have to investigate more about him to understand the extent of his powers (where did they come from, how did they work). Maybe the virus mutates into some type of symbiotic hive-mind monstrosity. There really are a lot of ways you could swing this to very good effect.