Send in the Bricks!

Mightybec

Originally posted by Superskrull

Well, my current favorite brick in my campaign is the Cobalt Commando. Stat-wise, he's pretty normal for a 75 Str, 35 Def brick with no frills or frameworks to speak of. The fun comes in roleplaying his personality. He has a PURPOSE and it's what his personality centers on.

He has to save the world from the Gamma Mutates. He's from the future, you see, and in his time these horrible creatures have conquered the world and are only moments from destroying the last remnants of the Resistance. He's the last hope of humanity and he's just been hurled back in time to prevent the rise of these awful monstrosities and undo the horrors they've done.

There are a few problems with this, though. First off, he's fresh out of the clone vat and about as bright as your average fridge light. Second, he's poorly educated, also due to being about a 20 minute old genetic construct. If the Resistance had time, they would have been able to instruct him about his specific goals. Fortunately, they had a wristcomp they loaded with everything he'd need to handle the timejump. Unfortunately, it was destroyed before he ever used it. Third, the Resistance didn't program him with anything more than his code name, a grasp of English and some basic social skills. Fourth, he had to go through the time portal before his commander could finish the sentence, "You must travel to our past to destroy..." as the Gamma Mutates had found them and opened fire.

The Cobalt Commando tumbled through time and emerged into the streets of Metro City in the dawning of the 21st century. He saw a humanity unconquered by the menace that ruled his time. He saw people going about their daily routine and the hustle and bustle of city traffic. He heard the vehicles honk as he stood in the center of the busy street and blocked traffic. He saw the lights flash green and a dark green Dodge Viper honked it's horn and the driver stuck his head out and yelled at him. Thinking swiftly (and out loud), he realized why he was here. "Green lights, green vehicles, angry shouting, Gamma Mutates are green and angry. I'm in the past. The Commander said to destroy the past or something like that. There's only one thing to do!"

Leaping forward, he slammed his hands through the hood of the Dodge Viper and yanked out the engine. Tossing it over his shoulder, he smashed a nearby mailbox. The Commando drew a deep breath and grinned.

"Attention citizens. I am the Cobalt Commando! I am here to destroy the past to save the future!"

Honest, he means well...

As a player who has had to duke it out and negotiate with Cobalt Commando, I would have to put him down as my favorite Brick - that I don't play.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I like among my NPCs is Doc. Savoy, a Swiss, four-armed, scientific brick. Wearing lab coats and glasses, this conservative man disposes of a tech pool, and is strong at analysing things.

Only in last recourse does he uses his strength, usually to grab. And that's where opponents are surprised at how strong he is (STR 60 pts).

Re: what if

Originally posted by Patriot

If Mighty mouse And Atom ant fought who would win???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This reminds me of one of the most profound statements about the point of view of children that I ever saw in a film. The film was "Stand by Me" and one of the kids answers the question asked off camera, "Who would win in a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse?" The kid's answer is, "Superman! He's a real person and Mighty Mouse is just a cartoon."

My money's on the mouse, btw. WB animation has Hanna Barbera beat each and every day of the week -- and twice on Sundays.

:D

Re: Re: what if

Originally posted by Supreme

This reminds me of one of the most profound statements about the point of view of children that I ever saw in a film. The film was "Stand by Me" and one of the kids answers the question asked off camera, "Who would win in a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse?" The kid's answer is, "Superman! He's a real person and Mighty Mouse is just a cartoon."

My money's on the mouse, btw. WB animation has Hanna Barbera beat each and every day of the week -- and twice on Sundays.

:D

Yeah, but we have to wait until he gets out of the Betty Ford clinic to deal with his cocaine problem.

Re: Shrinking Brick Names

Originally posted by Hermit

"The Flea!" Okay, probably going to be teased if not in the Tick Universe

"Particle Man" for the musically inclined.

"David" , when you're 6 inches tall, Everyone is a Goliath.

"Pebble", ok, a bit silly, but I can envision a teen heroine using it.

"Micron" , I think was a name used in a Batman Beyond episode.

"Mighty Mite"

"Flyspeck"

"Battle-Gnat"

"The Spark" - if he/she glowed or twinkled

"The Mote" - can refer to self after winning a fight as "The Mote who smote"

"Silver Bullet" - assumes bullet size and appropriate colour

In one campaign, I had a trio of NPCs - not evil, but technically villainous in that many of their actions flouted the law. They were based on the idea that three titans - Prometheus, Epimetheus and Atlas - survived the wars against the Gods of Olympus. Mythology would have mentioned if any of them ever had sons. However, the ancient Greeks were a little less careful about keeping track of daughters.

Empyrea - titaness, daughter of Prometheus. As strong and tough as a starting-level brick, with regeneration, prophecy, hyperintelligence and pyrokinesis. Apparent age 18-20, radiant classical Greek beauty. Basically a good person, but prone to ignoring mortal laws and authorities when pursuing her far-sighted visions of the "greater good". Also, not always successful at reining in her cousins.

Zoe - titaness, daughter of Epimetheus. As strong and tough as a starting-level brick, with dazzling PRE and song-based powers. Apparent age 18-20, impossibly radiant classical Greek beauty. Basically a total sweetheart, but also an absolute ditz.

Margeneta - titaness, daughter of Atlas. Was never out-bricked by any mortal during entire campaign. Apparent age 14-15, just-blossoming dark classical Greek beauty. The youngest, the most grudge-minded towards Olympians and their adherents, and also carried a huge chip on her shoulder. Also yielded some good quotes...

D: "Am strongest man in Europe! None can withstand Durak!"

[M catches incoming haymaker with one hand, stops it cold and squeezes until popping sound is heard.]

M: "Half right."

And overheard once in a corner of the saloon at Sanctuary:

"Go ahead, big guy. Either arm. Heck, I'll let you use all four."

Re: Re: Re: Shrinking Brick Names

Originally posted by MisterVimes

I'm personally waiting on the write up for Universe Man:D

See thanks to 5th ed you can't do the old "How many levels of growth does he have?" haa haa haa joke. Its sad.

Ahh well for a unified system im prepared to allow it to slide... THIS TIME

Favourite Brick #1- Mister Armstrong.

Basically a dumbass who gets superpowers. Not really bright (or altruistic) enough for superheroing, he hires himself out as muscle. Basically, a superpowered 60's Batman henchman. Give him a corny name, a t-shirt with that name on it and let him loose.

After a near-arrest (I don't want to go to prison! I've seen prison movies!) he becomes a security guard.

Has kinetic absorbtion strength. Basically, his first instinct is to throw himself out a window or run headlong into a wall with his head - "Don't worry folks, I'm fine!" Unfortunately, his powers also reduce his DEX, so he becomes a little less suited to fine detail work. Basically, because he's not strong ALL the time, he has to get used to it every time he 'powers up'. "Don't know m'own strength", quite literally.

Favourite Brick #2 - for a 50's era Game, Beatnik Gorilla.

Not real strong as far as Bricks go, certainly nowhere near Commander America, USA (team leader) in power levels, but as agile as heck, with special gorilla martial arts, able to use his feet as well as his hands, and could swing off the rafters and play bongoes with equal ability. Also an excellent cook, a fairly accomplkished poet, and made a mean cup o' joe.

And the ladies LOVED him. He was simply a gas to play!

"Like, cool it, pal, or I'm gonna hafta lay down some crazy rhythms upside your skull, dig?"

Dig.

Pol.

Speaking of Bricks, I updated Obsidian. Here he is in his 5E splendor:

Obsidian

Player:

Val Char Cost
60 STR 50
18 DEX 24
30 CON 40
15 BODY 10
18 INT 8
12 EGO 4
25 PRE 15
12 COM 1
30 PD 18
20 ED 14
4 SPD 12
18 REC 0
60 END 0
60 STUN 0
8" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 196

Cost Power END
10 Tremendous Size and Mass: Knockback Resistance -5"
15 Stone-like flesh: Damage Resistance (20 PD / 10 ED)
4 Surprisingly swift: Running +2" (added to Primary Value) 1
10 Transpathic Crown: Universal Translator (20 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1) 13-
26 Shockwave Attack: Strength 60, Only does knockdown not knockback (+0), Hole In The Middle (one Hex) (Fixed Size; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2), Only affects targets on the ground (-1/4) 4
33 Terraswiming: Tunneling 8" through 8 DEF material (Fill In Hole) (50 Active Points); Limited Medium (Earth & Stone Only (Limited; -1/2) 5
26 Stone Like Life form: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week, Extended Breathing, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: 1600 Years, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)
Powers Cost: 124

Cost Skill
6 +2 with Punch, Haymaker, Grab
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Combat Piloting 13-
3 High Society 14-
2 TF: Grav Vehicles/Hovercraft, Personal Use Spacecraft, Small Planes
2 Navigation (Interstellar) (Pick Something) 13-
2 AK: Area Knowledge: Imperial Space 11-
3 Language: English: Completely Fluent, w/Accent
3 Scientist
1 1) SC: Theoretical Physics (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) SC: Cybernetics (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) SC: Genetics (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 30

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Distinctive Features: 8' tall, jet black, and 1600 kg, Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
20 Psych. Lim.: Completely dedicated to the Interstellar Empire, would do anything for it, Common, Total
15 Psych. Lim. : Noblesse Oblige, being a hero is his duty as defined by his station, Common, Strong
15 Psych. Lim. : Sees himself as the protector of the earth, Common, Strong
10 Psych. Lim.: Homesick for the Empire, Uncommon, Strong
15 Hunted by Imperial Enemies, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
20 Hunted : VIPER, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
10 Hunted: Ogre, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
15 Public Identity, Frequently (11-), Major
10 Vulnerability: Sonics, Uncommon, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x STUN)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

I'm a little stuck on his origin as I don't know what happened to his people. I 'm considering dropping the

galactic empire angle and making him a prince from the elemental plane of earth.

Re: Bricks

Originally posted by Chaosliege

My favorite brick is named Dynamo. He starts out as a low level brick, but also has Kinetic absorption. After being hit a few times, he's got a STR of 70.

That sounds a lot like the "Dynamo" brick in one of our games. SHE is a 4'10" powerhouse who has two types of absorbtion. Physical attacks feed her STR while energy Attacks feed her STUN. What makes her fun is how she's played. First of all, her costume is based on a figure-skaters outfit, but everyone teases her because it makes her look like a cheerleader instead. Never mind the fact someone accidentally called her "Domino", and now she gets called by that name more frequently than Dynamo. Then, there is the matter of her thick Southern accent. When the GM asks her, "So what are you going to do?" the reply is always, "I'm 'onna thump 'im!" She also has a powerful hatred for "suits" or anyone in power armor. She regards it as "cheating", so she will always attack any bad-guy in a suit first, and will not stop until she has peeled the guy out of the suit and destroyed it. Needless to say, THIS has given her a bad rep in the press as an overly-violent heroine. To give you an example, Dynamo's player, having repeadedly wailed on some poor body asked "Is this guy out yet?". The reply was. "Out? He was at GM's Discretion three thumps ago!"

Originally posted by Pol Rua

Favourite Brick #2 - for a 50's era Game, Beatnik Gorilla.

Not real strong as far as Bricks go, certainly nowhere near Commander America, USA (team leader) in power levels, but as agile as heck, with special gorilla martial arts, able to use his feet as well as his hands, and could swing off the rafters and play bongoes with equal ability. Also an excellent cook, a fairly accomplkished poet, and made a mean cup o' joe.

And the ladies LOVED him. He was simply a gas to play!

"Like, cool it, pal, or I'm gonna hafta lay down some crazy rhythms upside your skull, dig?"

Dig.

Pol.

Heh. A friend of mine does a small press comic (Courageous Man - very funny stuff), and that describes one of the villains from that book almost to a tee. The bad ape in question was named The Felonious Monk.

Re: Re: Bricks

Originally posted by Klytus

That sounds a lot like the "Dynamo" brick in one of our games. SHE is a 4'10" powerhouse who has two types of absorbtion. Physical attacks feed her STR while energy Attacks feed her STUN.

That's pretty close to my guy. Mine has kinetic absorption which feeds his STR and an energy Absorption to feed a 0d6 energy attack. originaly, he could only absorb kinetic attacks, and energy attacks were devistating to him. Then in a PBEM game with some friends, he was exposed to a huge amount of "gate key" energy. This was after he had completely absorbed another brick on the team(the brick in question was described as being pure kinetic energy). Dynamo went nuts and pounded the opponent into an "unconcious bloody heep". I got lucky he didn't kill the guy..

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my bricks have been pretty lame, but I've had a few unusual ones over the years:

Captain Chrome: shiny, metallic brick, with missile reflection vs. light-based attacks.

Galligator: female, Cajun version of the Lizard, but stronger. ("Half human, half gator, all girl!")

The Tangler: a stretching brick with an awesome martial grab.

Little Big Man (aka the Mighty Tim): 3 feet tall, but a 70 STR.

Scales

My first brick's origin:

In the year 1543, Kirk Lancaster's ancestor was torching a presumed witch. Though she professed she only used her magic for good, Jon vowed that all magic spawned from the devil and proceeded to put her to the torch. As the flames rose the witches last words were:

• "If thee wilst have me marked for evil, a curse I lay upon your family. Thy 13th heir shall have a curse to become a creature of metal, ghastly of visage and shunned by all! That is what thee have brought upon your house Jonathan Lancaster!!!"

As the years went by and members of the family died from various freak accidents, they wound up turning toward magic to try to stop the curse from taking place. None succeeded, but one member, Ebeneezer, decided that instead of trying to stop the curse, to strengthen the subject of the curse. In that he succeeded, but it would be years later before it was known.

Kirk was born October 31, 1896. Except for the general weirdness that the family had developed, Kirk was a normal child. Fought in WWI and fought various cultists in the 20's and 30's along with his two friends Lenny McKay and Warren Lord.

On October 31, 1966: Kirk transforms into Scales

An attack on him soon after winds up killing his wife Caroline. He goes into seclusion until 1980 when his grand daughter talks him into looking into the supers scene.

He winds up joining a group called the Protectors and a few years later becomes their leader, even using his mansion for the base.

Some notes:

• He had lots of experience.
    Strength: 145
    PD & ED: 65 with 1/2 Dam Red
    A 60 point VPP. "Magic" There were a bunch of powers that I couldn't do.
    Dex: 8
    In a visit to the future, Scales is seen to have become the Sorceror Supreme. I wish I had the picture of him in a Dr. Strange cape...
    The mansion was similar to the Addam's family in some ways. Our AI was Kirk's dead sister; Morticia...
    Lenny was the Gardener. One of his gardening tools was a flamethrower. His picture looked like the shredders from V&V.

The picture's a bit lame, but it was a sketch from quite some time ago. Just never finished it.

The first character I played in Champions (2ed) was a powered armor brick. 80 STR, 40pd/40ed, 15" of flight. He had +40 STR 3x per day, which made for a really wicked haymaker. Hunted by Dr. Demento (our GM's favorite villain). Think Dr. Destroyer, only less sane. He was called Sentinel, hence my sig.