New Model of the Universe Says Past Crystallizes out of the Future

Kristopher

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24497/

Today, Ellis and Rothman introduce a significant new type of block universe. They say the character of the block changes dramatically when quantum mechanics is thrown into the mix. All of a sudden, the past and the future take on entirely different characteristics. The future is dominated by the weird laws of quantum mechanics in which objects can exist in two places at the same time and particles can be so deeply linked that they share the same existence. By contrast, the past is dominated by the unflinching certainty of classical mechanics.

What's interesting is that the transition between these states takes place largely in the present. It's almost as if the past crystallizes out of the future, in the instant we call the present. Ellis and Rothman call this model the "crystallizing block universe" and go on to explore some of its properties.

Re: New Model of the Universe Says Past Crystallizes out of the Future

I'm not sure how much of that theory was just metaphor. Are they implying that things that happen in material crystallization could then happen in temporal crystallization? What about imperfections like vacancies or edge dislocations? What would that look like?

Yeah, I guess I'm pushing their metaphor a little too far.

Sounds like it to me.

They're likening the passage from future to past as like that of the crystallization of a substance.

First a gas: free-floating, lacking definition (on a macro level at least), but condense it down, and it becomes a liquid, which is still fluid.

Freeze that liquid, and it ceases to move - a solid - a crystal in many cases.

Now picture the future - full of possibilities.

Condense it down to what actually happens - the present.

What you have left is what happened - the facts - the past.

Does that help?

I'm not sure how much of that theory was just metaphor. Are they implying that things that happen in material crystallization could then happen in temporal crystallization? What about imperfections like vacancies or edge dislocations? What would that look like?

Yeah, I guess I'm pushing their metaphor a little too far.

No, you are exploring exciting and interesting possibilities inherent in the model.

Vacancies would be either areas of time stasis, or time-space areas in the past which change. For instance, the chapter in your history book about the battle of Waterloo might keep re-writing itself before your eyes. In a Dr. Who episode (the Pirate Planet), the villain had a room that was shifted one second into the future. Since the space without and within the room were out of time synch, it was the equivalent of an impassible barrier.

Edge dislocations would be time gates, of course.

Presumably these flaws would exist both in the "present" and in the past.

Naturally something like a light-year long time gate would be patrolled by militant alien civilizations with notions about "finders-keepers".

If you want a Star Hero campaign with time travel, such a model has great possiblities.

If anybody is interested in the "block universe" described in the link, a fun-to-read explaination is in Rudy Rucker's THE FOURTH DIMENSION.

Go here

http://books.google.com/books?id=8J0djs-FK_8C&dq=rudy+rucker&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=WAzms4wqjb&sig=VgHCjwFsXd8jBx9YJMTdQXikbJs&hl=en&ei=susjS4bUFIjilAfzjeD9CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

and go to the chapter "Spacetime Diary"

• 2 weeks later...

Now bring superstring theory into it.

The future is a wooly mass, chaotic and unstructured.

The present is being spun and dynamically woven.

The past is tapestry, infinite and complexly interwoven but fixed and unchanging.

Now take another look at the Fates, AKA the Norns. They've been trying to tell you something for several thousand years.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary quotes Lucius: Mythology is as real as physics, and its consequences as ineluctable.

This doesn't seem to fit into the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum theory (as far as I understand it, anyway).

Of course, making analogous models of things about which we cannot currently perform proper experiments is easy and fun. But they cannot all be correct, can they?

So, I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon so I have some 'normal guy' questions.

If the Past is crystallized and unchanging, then it would seem to suggest that one can not manipulate the past at all. I.e., no time travel adventures in the past. If the future is truly undefined, then does going to the future end up putting you in a flux until the present reaches you and then you progress from there? I.e., going to the future is possible but you wind up in a metaphorical purgatory until time catches up. Maybe this metaphor is just causing me issues.

La Rose.