Megamovement DCV errata ?

Crypt

As seen on 6E2p24, Velocity Based DCV, each X2 velocity = +2DCV

(actually this is the same as the VF found in APG p178)

So each increment of velocity X (Square root of 2) equals +1 DCV.

So i think there is a trouble with the Megamovement Velocity Based DCV (6E1p157) ==>

1 level of MegMov: DCV 19

2 level of MegMov: DCV 39

....+1 level : +20 DCV

I think it should be:

1 level : DCV 20 (or +20 DCV for a fair and accurate DCV...but that's another story)

2 levels : DCV 27 (or +27...)

....+1 level : +7 DCV (or +6.6 DCV)

....+3 levels: +20 DCV

Explanation:

The first level of MegMov is X1000 distance.

(Square root of 2)^20 = 1024 so the first level = DCV 20

+1 level of MegMov is X10 distance.

(Square root of 2)^7 = 11 so each level increment = +7 DCV

note:

(Square root of 2)^19 = 724. The ^20 version is closer to the needed X1000 result.

(Square root of 2)^6 = 8. The ^7 version is closer to the needed X10 result.

PS: please read the whole post before answering. Thanks :):)

Re: Megamovement DCV errata ?

and wrong by a considerable margin?

I can see where they got the 19 instead of 20; 1,000 is nearly 1,024; perhaps they did the math differently, actually converting x1,000 into a power of 2,

and not approximating like you are with whole factors of 2.

but clearly +20 is nothing like +7 or 6.6!

Steve said: "The table on 6E1 157 is correct."

So i have a problem here. I don't see how this table may be correct.

6E2p24, on the Velocity Based DCV, each X2 velocity = +2DCV so each X1000 velocity = +20 DCV.

64m/t: 1 DCV

125 : 3 DCV

250 : 5 DCV

500 : 7 DCV

1000: 9 DCV

2000: 11 DCV

4000: 13 DCV

8000: 15 DCV

16000: 17 DCV

32000: 19 DCV

64000: 21 DCV

Each level of Mega movement beyond the first one is X10 distance so i don't understand how it could give +20 DCV...(which is related to X1000 distance, not X10 ! )

The 6E1 p157 table doesn't follow the 6E2 p24 rule.

:help:

64m/t: 1 DCV

64000: 21 DCV

so x1000 = +20 DCV

That's for the first level of megamovement. (+1 advantage in 6E)

Each level thereafter multiply the distance per 10, not 1000.

(6E1p157; 6E1p341 and 6E2p24.)

So the second level of megamov (+1 1/4 advantage in 6E) = X10.000 = 10km. This level should equal 27 DCV, not 39.

Look at the first post...

So going faster doesn't necessarily make you harder to hit.
Maybe but that's not helpful here...

You're making multiple assumptions here in order to come up with the statement of "it's wrong/inconsistent"

First and foremost, you're assuming that the DCV bonuses _should_ be the same for both forms of Movement. Where you come up with this notion is beyond me. Megamovement is _decidedly_ different from normal movement. See scaling. Why is it difficult to accept that there are different DCV bonus structures in place for different forms of Movement?

Why is it difficult to accept that there are different DCV bonus structures in place for different forms of Movement?
For the same speed MegaMov would give a better DCV ???

That's non-sense.

One rule for this case, another for this other case.......sometimes Hero may be very ugly.

For the same speed MegaMov would give a better DCV ???
Depends on the needs of the game in question.

That's non-sense.

No. That's just one opinion

One rule for this case, another for this other case.......sometimes Hero may be very ugly.

Not ugly. Just a system. If it doesn't work for you, change it in your game.

I really can't see how it would make sense. We're not talking about moving at normal speed vs moving at megaspeed - we're talking about moving at 12km/phase because you bought megascale running, vs moving at 12km/phase because you bought a huge non-combat multiplier for your running. One is not faster than the other, and I can see no reason one would have a different DCV result.

It would be like saying that +30 STR from Growth gave you a different lifting capacity than +30 STR from Aid.

I really can't see how it would make sense. We're not talking about moving at normal speed vs moving at megaspeed - we're talking about moving at 12km/phase because you bought megascale running, vs moving at 12km/phase because you bought a huge non-combat multiplier for your running. One is not faster than the other, and I can see no reason one would have a different DCV result.

It would be like saying that +30 STR from Growth gave you a different lifting capacity than +30 STR from Aid.

If you Megascale a Movement Power with a Turn-Mode such as Flight, doesn’t the Turn-Mode Megascale as well? In other words, if you buy Flight Megascaled so that each unit of Flight = 1km then you measure how much space it takes to turn in km, right? Whereas, if you buy Flight with Increased Non-Combat Movement up to the same speed/distance, you still have a Turn-Mode but it’s measured in Hexes (or Meters or whatever). It may be a Turn-Mode, but it’s turning on a dime compared to the Megascale character/vehicle going the same speed. This doesn’t really have anything to do with “Megamovement DCV” other than to illustrate that there are differences between Megamovement and regular movement (unless I’m completely mis-remembering how Turn-Mode and Megascale interact).

If you Megascale a Movement Power with a Turn-Mode such as Flight' date=' doesn’t the Turn-Mode Megascale as well? In other words, if you buy Flight Megascaled so that each unit of Flight = 1km then you measure how much space it takes to turn in km, right? Whereas, if you buy Flight with Increased Non-Combat Movement up to the same speed/distance, you still have a Turn-Mode but it’s measured in Hexes (or Meters or whatever). It may be a Turn-Mode, but it’s turning on a dime compared to the Megascale character/vehicle going the same speed. This doesn’t really have anything to do with “Megamovement DCV” other than to illustrate that there are differences between Megamovement and regular movement (unless I’m completely mis-remembering how Turn-Mode and Megascale interact).[/font']

Then Megamovement should give even less DCV than regular movement because it's harder to dodge (turn) while "megamoving"

The Turn Mode rules are identical (at least in 5er) for normal and Megascale movement.

If the movement has a Turn Mode then the character just gets to make 5 equal distant turns in Phase.

If the movement does not have a Turn Mode (Running) or has that Advantage (No Turn Mode) then the character can make as many turns as they want during a Phase.

Not really. STR is a construct of the rules with specific game effects. Speed isn't. While I understand your reasoning, and even agree that it makes sense to do it the way you suggest, that doesn't invalidate making them different for game balance reasons. I'll leave any discussion of whether there is, in fact, a game balance issue for people with experience using Megascale. I haven't had a need for it and therefore don't have an informed opinion.

What are those mysterious game balance reasons ?

Did you stop reading when you got to that part?

I'll leave any discussion of whether there is' date=' in fact, a game balance issue for people with experience using Megascale. I haven't had a need for it and therefore don't have an informed opinion.[/quote']

Not really. STR is a construct of the rules with specific game effects. Speed isn't.
What? Movement speed absolutely has specific game effects - velocity-based DCV for instance.

And if there were game balance issues with Megascale (which is much cheaper than buying lots of NCM), why would Megamovement give you a higher DCV?

What? Movement speed absolutely has specific game effects - velocity-based DCV for instance.

And if there were game balance issues with Megascale (which is much cheaper than buying lots of NCM), why would Megamovement give you a higher DCV?

I take it you didn't bother reading my entire post either. Asking me what the possible issues are will do you no good because I really haven't used Megascale. I was merely commenting on your point that it can only make sense if the 2 are the same. That is patently false. If you want to know what balance issues Steve Long feels there might be you'll have to read his mind because he won't discuss design decisions. Asking me after I've repeatedly said I don't use it will get you nowhere. But feel free to beat your head against that wall all you'd like.