Converting inches to mph

Bengalelf

Re: Converting inches to mph

Inches if they are the 2 meters for an inch, the conversion is: Inches/rnd * 0.3728 = miles/hour

So you could do

meters/rnd * 0.1864 = miles/hour

The Work:

(Meters * 100) = centimeters

CM/2.54 = inches

Inch/12 = feet

feet/5280 = miles

Rnd * 5 = minute

minute * 60 = hour

So meters/rnd * 100/2.54/12/5280 * 5 * 60 = miles/hour

And the original constant of 0.3728 was called Quant's Constant after the first player in our group to mention it.

Formula is on p364 of 5ER

And here's a spreadsheet (that I didn't write) to do the math for you

The easiest way I've found to memorize this is to go with the basic formula:

inches per Segment X 2.25 = mph (which is a rough estimate but is only off from the spreadsheet by 1/4 mph)

(If the character happens to have a 6 SPD you can then go with inches per Phase X 4.5 = mph)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a calculator then to convert movement to MPH:

1) Multiply your metres of movement, or twice your inches, by your SPD

2) Divide the result by 12

3) Multipy that by 2.2369362920544

For instance, let's say that your SPD 4 Motorcycle has 74 metres, or 37", of of Ground Movement.

You would multiply your metres by your SPD and get 296.

Then you divide that by 12 and get 24.666 etc.

Then you would multiply that by 2.2369362920544 and get 55.1777618706752 or 55.18 MPH.

Now you can drive 55!

• 1 year later...

Is it me..or do most vehicle write ups seem to not have enough inches/meters in travel to correlate to their correct speed? A helicopter rated at 170MPh....if given a speed of 4 should (according to my calculations) have 229 meters of flight.

That same helicopter listed in 6th book2 is given 58x4 which is 87MPH

What it looks like to me, the values given are perhaps 1/2 of the top speed in many cases. Is this to allow for NCM?

Is this to allow for NCM?

Yes.

The stated "combat movement" of the F15 doesn't make sense for similar reasons. The published vehicles apparently assume that NCM is required which would seem to indicate that Pilot's would never be able to hit other jets with weapons of any sort since the NCM rules normally reduce OCV to zero as the last step of the CV calculation (at least in 5e rules, I haven't rechecked this for 6e).

Yes.

The stated "combat movement" of the F15 doesn't make sense for similar reasons. The published vehicles apparently assume that NCM is required which would seem to indicate that Pilot's would never be able to hit other jets with weapons of any sort since the NCM rules normally reduce OCV to zero as the last step of the CV calculation (at least in 5e rules, I haven't rechecked this for 6e).

The F-15 has SPD 5 with 76 m and x8 NCM.

The Details lower down also note that it has 4m Megascaled Flight for Mach 2.5 Flight.

So in combat it can easily archive ~31m/second or 114 km/h.

With his NCM Multiplier, it can make ~253m/second or 912 km/h.

The megascale Flight has to make ~3.000 km/h, 883m/second or 2.000 m/Phase wich could actually be done with 2m, Megascaled (1m = 1 km).

So in combat it can easily archive ~31m/second or 114 km/h...

That's the point though.

You think fighter jets get into dog fights doing only 114 km/h?

That's only 70 mph.

I DRIVE FASTER THAN THAT!!! :P

Modern dogfights occur at supersonic speeds, something that's difficult to accomplish in HERO since you drop to 0 OCV when using NCM/MegaMovement...

Modern dogfights occur at supersonic speeds' date=' something that's difficult to accomplish in HERO since you drop to 0 OCV when using NCM/MegaMovement...[/quote']

Is that a guess or actual knowledge? And are we even talkign about the same?

Dogfighting in my understanding is the part where you fight with machineguns on sightrange (wikipedia: "in particular, combat of maneuver at short range, where each side is aware of the other's presence"). The part where you start by flying nose head on at each other guns blazing and then try to maneuver into the neck of each other.

That is nothing you should even consider doing at mach-speed. The G-Force will simply knock you out, your airplane would get ripped appart or your jet engine might choke.

What you perhaps mean is the long range fighting with self guided missiles. This is somethign you perhaps do at speed higher than sound, but we woudl need someone who actualyl flew to be certain.

Wikipedia seems to agree with my interpretation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfight#Modern_air_combat

Superiority in a dog fight can depend on a pilot's experience and skill, and the agility of his fighter when flown at minimum air speeds approaching loss of control (causing a danger of stalling);

Therefore a dogfight has nothing to do with supersonic speed, but much to do with the engine power that makes supersonic flight possible

Modern "dogfights" between jet aircraft all occur at subsonic speeds usually somewhere between 400-600 mph.

HERO vehicle builds just don't take this fact into account.

Subsonic Piston engine fighters actually scored dogfight kills vs. jet aircraft as recent as the Vietnam war.