Multiple Suits of Power Armor

matrix3

I have a character I'm noodling over. His background is that his father was a brilliant inventor, who ended up inadvertently working for ARGENT through a shell company. When he realized how they were using his inventions, he put together a secret high tech lab and created two sets of power armor, a "standard" suit and a "heavy duty" suit (similar to iron man's Hulkbuster armor). He then left clues for his son to find the lab and armor in the event of his death.

The character, his son, is also intelligent, and can maintain and slightly modify the armor, but isn't as brilliant as his dad and can't create a new set of armor. I was thinking of a small pool to modify the armor that requires a trip to the lab, but I'm not sure how to do the two different sets of armor. This conundrum is complicated by the fact that I just moved, and my books aren't currently accessible.

One thought I had was to have Multiform on the armor, and a limitation that requires a trip to the lab. Or, I could create the sets of armor as vehicles, and just have two vehicles, but I wanted to do this "Only in Heroic ID". Any thoughts?

Re: Multiple Suits of Power Armor

I've usually found using Vehicles to simulate Powered Armor to be unsatisfactory at best.

My solution would likely to be to build the "Joe Normal" version of the character (which would still retain the skills, Mental stats and most complications), and build the sets of Armor as Multiform versions of that character. "Joe Normal" plus whatever powers and boosts the Armor gives him. The Multiform ability could take "requires a trip to the lab" or whatever Limitations you feel appropriate. As long as each set of Armor fits into the Campaign Limits, it should work out fine.

Each set of Armor could then also include the "Modifications" pool you referred to, where he could apply minor tweaks to each set.

Rather than using the vehicles rules (which, depending on your GM, is at least a touch "illegal" for powered armor....generally speaking (tho' YMMV)) I would potentially use a VPP - changeable only at armory/base/what-have-you. Then build a selection of "modules" which would piece together to form the suit. Much like the "utility belt" concept found in Gadgets And Gear (I think it was G and G...don't have the books handy, sorry).

Those modules, plus a base set of stats for the hero inside the armor, could satisfy your goal...tho' again, as always, YMMV. :winkgrin:

-Carl-

Rather than using the vehicles rules (which, depending on your GM, is at least a touch "illegal" for powered armor....generally speaking (tho' YMMV)) I would potentially use a VPP - changeable only at armory/base/what-have-you. Then build a selection of "modules" which would piece together to form the suit. Much like the "utility belt" concept found in Gadgets And Gear (I think it was G and G...don't have the books handy, sorry).

Those modules, plus a base set of stats for the hero inside the armor, could satisfy your goal...tho' again, as always, YMMV. :winkgrin:

-Carl-

The modular VPP idea has merit, though from your description, it may be too customizable for your initial concept. If you can build a few standard sets of modules - Armor modules, Defense Modules, Weapons Modules, Sensor and Targeting Modules, Movement Modules, Options Modules (Life Support or Adjustment Powers) you could mix and match them to create a variety of different Armors, especially if you can finagle the costs of each subclass of module so that they are literally interchangeable. (All Armor Modules cost 19-20 Real Points, etc.)

I wanted him to have a little flexibility to modify (ie, change plasma beams for freon cannons (variable sfx)), but have the two basic types of armor be something of a disadvantage. The modular VPP, while cool, would be too flexible, I think. I might go for that, though, if I can't find a more elegant way to accomplish my original intentions. Thanks!

I would build it as follows

Start with your basic suit (all abilities the two suits share at the same level)

Then in a MP (or VPP) have the add ons

For instance your basic suit being lighter would probably be faster (More flight), and might have better sensors while your heavy duty suit would have more strength, more protection, etc...

Slap on a changable only at base

In case you've never seen it before, Killer Shrike has built just about every possible variation on this theme already.

Mr. Goodspeed

Yes! I remember that now. Hmm...if I'm reading it correctly, those are all vehicles, though, right? If I go for vehicles, I use Mr. Goodspeed as a template.

HM, don't you have an Iron Man clone around on the boards I could poach review?

see the edit to my last post (War-Man)

I never really attempted an Iron-Man homage since Defender is such a straight-up conversion and never could think of that much I'd really change. It's part of the same reason I've never posted an Avengers-350 compliment to the JLA. After Thor's Hammer and Cap's Shield the rest of the classic team have already been done* as well as they can be imo.

Plus, I'm just not nearly as big a fan of Marvel as I am DC.

*Either in published HERO books or by other posters.

Yes! I remember that now. Hmm...if I'm reading it correctly, those are all vehicles, though, right? If I go for vehicles, I use Mr. Goodspeed as a template.

Actually, Mr. Goodspeed was my Iron Man parallel, done to the Armor Wars like aspect of his background. He's kind of a what if Iron Man was more like Jesse James (the currently living one) than Howard Hughes concept.

What aspects of Iron Man do you mean by "clone"? I might have another character laying around that would be similar to what you are looking for.

I'd go with the Multiform' date=' only change forms at the base option. Probably the least messy and easiest to deal with.[/quote']

War-man is definitely my choice as well as a Template. As I said, I've never liked the Vehicles as Powered Armor concept.

My only gripe with War-man would be the lack of the majority of his "Human" skills in Armor Mode, even if somehow limited (lower values representing the difficulty in performing som eof those skills in Armor.

Some make sense (Streetwise - The underworld loves inconspicuous, and he ain't; Sleight of Hand (Iron Man isn't the world's most accomplished Pickpocket)), but Deduction and Concealment (at least the 'finding hidden things components') seem that they should cross forms easily enough to me.

War-man is definitely my choice as well as a Template. As I said, I've never liked the Vehicles as Powered Armor concept.

My only gripe with War-man would be the lack of the majority of his "Human" skills in Armor Mode, even if somehow limited (lower values representing the difficulty in performing som eof those skills in Armor.

Some make sense (Streetwise - The underworld loves inconspicuous, and he ain't; Sleight of Hand (Iron Man isn't the world's most accomplished Pickpocket)), but Deduction and Concealment (at least the 'finding hidden things components') seem that they should cross forms easily enough to me.

Well, if youre going to nitpick, how about

4 Streets Eye View: CK: Millennial City (INT-based) 13-

What, he forgets where he lives when he changes form?

;)

What can I say, the player didn't want it and I didn't force the issue. It was the end of the campaign so I didnt really care. I actually prefer the original OIHID version myself; the character had more focus.

why not use DEFENDER as a template/

i think the vehicle as armor bit comes froman armors jet flight system

why not use DEFENDER as a template/

i think the vehicle as armor bit comes froman armors jet flight system

I don't have access to my books right now, and I wasn't going to ask folks to post published content. Besides, I knew I'd seen some characters posted to linked to that I could use, I just couldn't find them again.

Some great characters there, KS! I really liked Mr. Goodspeed and Major Savage, but War-Man is really what I was looking for.

I was thinking it over some last night, and I think I'm going to make the suits of armor symbiotic cybernetic organisms that the character's father created (or discovered and modified?) and are attuned to the character. He'll have some always on physical boosts out of the suits of armor, from bonding with them, but then have multiform (only in lab) to reflect the fact that nobody else can use the armor, but the suits aren't actually part of him. Something like The Guyver armor, if the suit was external instead of somehow stored within him. I think I'll still have a small gadget pool VPP for hard tech modules that link with the suits for some modular capability. This can also explain why he has a gadget pool for modular capabilities, without being able to change the actual suits of armor. He can do the hard tech, but not the bio-tech.

This guy started as an NPC, but I'm liking him more and more. Too bad there's no game around here I could play in. :(

That's the trade off. On the plus side, the Vehicle is cheap and has DEF which acts similar to a force wall. On the other hand the pilot has to make control rolls, is limited to the lesser DEX & SPD of themselves or the armor, and when the vehicles DEF is exceeded the thing starts falling apart. It works well for some "feels" and not so well for others. When you want to model the pilot and the armor as being truly separate things then it works great. If "power armor" is really just a justification for super powers then its not so great.