Prince Madoc

Badger

Re: Prince Madoc

Point of order: Erik the Red did not discover Greenland. Once you get to Iceland, you've discovered Greenland. What he discovered was farming country on Greenland. And it is somewhat open to question whether he is the actual single discoverer, or just the guy who gets the credit. That's the kind of thing that happens with two-centuries old oral histories. In almost every case where archaeologists have pursued the issue, "Viking" settlement predates the traditional foundation story by a generation or two, and there's a whole group of Norse settlements on Greenland that are ill-accounted for by the Erik the Red story.

Karin Seaver's well-known book covers the bases. As for the Prince Madoc story, bear in mind that most of the fishers who pioneered the English Newfoundland trade came from Devon, Cornwall, and Bristol, for very good reasons back in the sailing days. Take a look at where these places are on the map, and note what languages were spoken there. There is something behind the Madoc story, but it is very unlikely that any Welsh princes crossed the Atlantic in the 1100s.

Point of order: Erik the Red did not discover Greenland. Once you get to Iceland, you've discovered Greenland. What he discovered was farming country on Greenland. And it is somewhat open to question whether he is the actual single discoverer, or just the guy who gets the credit. That's the kind of thing that happens with two-centuries old oral histories. In almost every case where archaeologists have pursued the issue, "Viking" settlement predates the traditional foundation story by a generation or two, and there's a whole group of Norse settlements on Greenland that are ill-accounted for by the Erik the Red story.

Karin Seaver's well-known book covers the bases. As for the Prince Madoc story, bear in mind that most of the fishers who pioneered the English Newfoundland trade came from Devon, Cornwall, and Bristol, for very good reasons back in the sailing days. Take a look at where these places are on the map, and note what languages were spoken there. There is something behind the Madoc story, but it is very unlikely that any Welsh princes crossed the Atlantic in the 1100s.

Well, yes, I know it is unlikely. But this Fanatsy Hero remember.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, any other discover America myths/legends out there. I've heard of a St. Benedict, too (I think that was the name). The more, the better.:sneaky:

Well, yes, I know it is unlikely. But this Fanatsy Hero remember.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, any other discover America myths/legends out there. I've heard of a St. Benedict, too (I think that was the name). The more, the better.:sneaky:

Not St Benedict - St Brendan, or Brendan the voyager. Erik the Red was said to have taken two irishmen with him on his quest to discover Iceland, and that their stories of Brendan were what led him out there in the first place (personally, I suspect that was added later to his saga by an Irishman, but hey ...)

cheers, Mark

Not St Benedict - St Brendan, or Brendan the voyager. Erik the Red was said to have taken two irishmen with him on his quest to discover Iceland, and that their stories of Brendan were what led him out there in the first place (personally, I suspect that was added later to his saga by an Irishman, but hey ...)

cheers, Mark

Thanks, I knew it started with a B.