Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

I am good with whatever the group wants to adopt. My personal preference is for the second option, not only for thememory but the potential for disarm to automatically "disarm" a target macro just has a high cool factor to me.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Fight In The Swamps...

A Brief Recap of the first Six Sessions for the readers:

A small group has gathered to assist in the small task of delivering a gift from one friend to another. After a harrowing journey by boat, plagued by an unnatural storm, they reached their destination. The come upon the small town as they bury several men murdered by some animal, or a local ghost story (depends on whom you ask and when). They deliver the gift only to be given a cryptic message about a ring, and a ghost story. After looking into the history of a small fishing town known as Squall, the group has tracked a supernatural horror - a ghostly hag - deep into the swamps almost two days walk outside town. . .

(ok ok, I left out lots of detail, you'll get the full story later - I'm translating all the game sessions into a story format...)

The morning comes without incident, a relief to the haunts and attacks of the hag from the previous three nights. The group makes light banter about the morning chill, it being a much warmer natural autumn chill than the previous days winter cold.

Eventually the group must face the inevitable and head deep into the heart of the swamp to find the hags power, an old and rotted tree.

One of the group, the Eisen man Rottman, is down with a fever, likely from his encounters in the hands of the hag not three nights before. Geoffrey and John Doe help the man while Luludja and Cael draw blades and take the point of the expedition. They can't leave him behind, and they can't turn back, so he must join them - even sick.

As they approach the area they run into symbols carved in the trees, and upon fetishes hung from the branches. They point out the obvious to themselves, likely to make some noise as even the natural creatures have left them to their task.

As the sun finally sets they reach their destination. . .

Lulu and Cael comes to the edge of the trees, they find themselves at a muddy bank, across a small lake is an island with their obvious intended target on it. The sky darkens quickly as clouds roll in, unnaturally quickly.

They circle from opposite ends to approach the shoreline. As they silently walk out from the tree line they spot several men, dress in rags holding crude clubs. They seem focused on the other three in the group lagging behind with the fevered Rottman.

Lulu and Cael have a brief moment of eye contact before the strange men notice them. Cael has his trusty rifle out, "Drop them or your dead." He says calmly, though his words fall on deaf ears as the men get a crazed look in their eyes.

They have the looks of fanatics about them, one raises a club to swing at Cael. Cael, not quite ready for such a quick action, fires and misses with his shot. The sharp rapport breaks the silence as the bullet embeds itself in a tree.

Lulu, taking Cael's cue for a less lethal option, attempts to disarm the cultist in front of her, unfortunately her thin sabre isn't up to the task against the crude heavy piece of wood. The cultist swings his club and catches Lulu in the ribs, the wind is knocked from her as she feels the weight bring her to one knee.

The cultist facing Cael also swings, though the shot from the rifle has him off balance now and while he connects with Cael, it barely counts as a glancing blow.

From back in the foliage, the rest of the group here's Cael's rifle go off, John Doe springs to action and rushes forward, leaving Geoffrey to attend to Rottman for the moment.

Lulu catches her breath and raises her blades again, just as John rushes out of the bushes and places his own sword into the back of the cultist, the man falls to the ground, with a stifled cry, dead.

Cael, his weapon unloaded now, drops it to the ground and quickly draws his blade, the cultist is taken by the speed of the act and doesn't even have a chance to raise his arms in defense as Cael's blade pierces his heart.

As Lulu is about to thank John for dispatching the man in front of her she is hit from behind, as the wind is knocked from her once again her only though is that she'll have a matching bruise on the other side. . . She half spins to catch herself on her other knee.

Cael, on the other hand, is attacked by two more cultists from the trees around them, the crazed men swing wildly. Cael easily dodges the first, only to step into the path of the second club. He is hit across the kidney by the crude cudgel. Cael steps back a half step to retaliate, but is off his game now, and his blade swings wild as he tries to slash at both men at once.

Meanwhile John moves to save Lulu from her second attacker, only to be caught in a trip wire. With a yelp he is hoisted a dozen feet into the air and held upside down.

Lulu, seeing they are surrounded, and finally getting her wind back lunges forward with her blade, she cuts deep and long across the man's torso, he barely has time to register that he was just gutted before crumpling to the ground.

John attempts to cut himself down from his position as Cael attempts to regain the upper hand in his fight, now a defensive one on his part he misses again.

Geoffery, having leaned Rottman against a tree, finally bursts onto the scene and fires his flintlock pistol, the bullet goes wide, as he emerges near Cael.

The two cultists facing Cael howl, almost unnaturally, and each takes a swing at Cael. Not knowing which way to dodge Cael is unfortunately caught by both clubs, one hit in the chest and the other low across his abdomen. He isn't hurt, but he is knocked cold by the blows.

John attempts to get a good grip on the rope holding him up and gets his blade in it, while his fall looks graceful his landing leaves something to be desired, the muddy ground making it hard to judge he lands with a thud on his back.

Lulu, seeing Cael go down over her shoulder, rushes across the open area and expertly plunges her sword into one of the cultists chest, piercing the fanatics heart. Geoffrey, meanwhile, attempts to call forth some form of magic to aid his fellows, however in the shadow of the hag's power he is unable to control the winds effectively.

The remaining cultist, with a guttural shout swings with everything he has at Lulu, who dodges the wild swing easily, she ducks inside his swing and thrusts upwards with her blade, the steel slides into the man's throat. His scream dies in a gurgle as he falls backwards.

John joins them, wiping some mud off, as Cael clambers back to his feet and shaking off the hits. Both he and Lulu likely have a few bruised and cracked ribs, nothing life threatening for now.

As they stand on the banks of the swamp and examine the tree on the island across the job they came to do seems a bit harder. The tree is huge, a wide blackened trunk stands alone, fifty feet high it seems to dwarf a lot of the surrounding foliage. It has even affected the surrounding area, the brush nearest to it has turned black and a few other trees nearby have started to twist under its influence. Lulu tests the water leading across, finding it to be as cold as ice. She quickly decides against that course of action, they'd all be numb and frozen by the time they even made it the short distance across, assuming it wasn't more than waste deep.

[To Be Continued...]

(an accounting of the fight since the session was short and the GM didn't have much to recap) - this was the entire session for the night. It actually ended early as we were down one player due to technical difficulties and were losing another one early due to reality, so the GM called it just as we finished the fight scene.

Okay. I have two suggestions for a Campaign name; Fortune's Wheel and Winds of Change. I was tempted to combine them into something like Winds of Fortune, but I really don't want the name to engender thoughts of a Kansas song when somebody reads it.

Any other suggestions?

I am going to let this simmer over the weekend and then make a decision on Monday based on input I get during that time. I want a new thread so that I can take the first few message post positions to place Campaign guidelines and character write-ups. And there you have it.

Just as a note. I went over the tokens and found some errors with the characteristics. Please check them before or during next game and make sure they are correct. Luckily, I was testing a new SpellAttack macro for Geoffrey and noticed that he was doing very little damage to anybody. When I checked, everybody had 8 PD and 8 ED. Sounds like I might have copied over a single macro multiple times or had multiple macros selected when I did an edit, so it is likely my fault. Just help me out with the grunt work a little please.

I also put Combat Luck into hrPD and hrED (hardened, resistant). May have to change that to its own thing later, but for now that works.

Yeah I noticed that when I tried to roll acrobatics to leap back across the water... and all my skills were gone. Also earlier when you asked me to try a STR of 80 on the Unarmed Attack macro. When I went to change I found that all of my characteristics had been reset to the base defaults. Luckily some quick cut and paste fixed the skills, and the characteristic input made short work of the stats.

For a campaign name... I like "The Winds of Change".

Our webspace is live and active. I have unlimited space and bandwidth. If you have a registered domain name we can set it up so that it links directly to the space, and I will set you as the alternate exec so you can upload and edit your own content, rather than have to send everything to me.

Okay. I have two suggestions for a Campaign name; Fortune's Wheel and Winds of Change. I was tempted to combine them into something like Winds of Fortune' date=' but I really don't want the name to engender thoughts of a Kansas song when somebody reads it.[/quote']

Winds of Change:

Lyrics might be evocative though.

(sorry for the disruption, just couldn't resist, since I like the song) :)

Dealer of Fate is nifty.

In other news....new character concept: native "american" spirit warrior; armed with bow, meteoric iron pipe tomahawk and knife, and some supernatural power.

Coming soon...

P.S. - I do these mainly for fun, but Cael is bound to die at some point....

Ragnarok, per your request I tried to recreate the Cael token and add more facial hair to it. Here are some samples. I wish they had a lighter background for the dark haired guys. I hope one of these is adequate.

Sadly, there are only a few beard selections available for each preset. Also, for some reason the character creator sets some sort of unchangeable default if you select a beard. You have to get the face as close as possible before applying the beard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35972[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35971[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35973[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35974[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35975[/ATTACH]

So, my step-daughter graduates 8th grade on Thursday. Ceremony doesn't start until 7, so I don't know when I'll be available.

Please let me know what the plan is. I feel terrible about all the real life interruptions, but that is the way it goes when you have a family.

So' date=' my step-daughter graduates 8th grade on Thursday. Ceremony doesn't start until 7, so I don't know when I'll be available.[/quote']Congrats to your daughter. She is now about to enter the nightmare realm of high school. And you will have to deal with issues like dating, even more peer pressure and all sorts of other stuff. What? Oh encouraging right. Hmmmmn. Got nothing for you there. :D

Please let me know what the plan is. I feel terrible about all the real life interruptions, but that is the way it goes when you have a family.
Ayup. Funny that Thursdays, not Fridays are the days when schools make all their plans. Luckily for you (and Rotman) this is probably going to be a bridge session to bring folks into whatever crazy, whacked out plot comes next. I doubt you will miss much. See you next week.

Hate to do this, but work just called me in on an emergency. Tried to refuse the OT, but they were pretty adamant that I come in. As I have to drive a company vehicle to San Francisco, I will not be able to make it back in any reasonable amount of time. As much as I hate to do it, the game is canceled for tonight. I am going to leave the server up if you want to jump in and do a one-shot session or just BS. Sorry about the late notification but I just got off the phone.

Hi Nol' date=' Would it be ok if I lurk in the background on your next game session. Starwolf told me about the campaign and it sounds like an interesting game.[/quote']Solron! Good to see you. How have you been? And yes, you may lurk. Looking forward to chatting with you later this week.