Arabian Knights

GoldenAge

Long ago TSR came out with a campaign setting book called Al-Qadim

Al-Qadim_-_The_Genie%27s_Curse_Coverart.png

I've been invited to create a character for a HERO Fantasy game that comes from a classic Arabian setting. While the city already exists in this world it's underdeveloped and I will also have a chance to further develop city details.... Could be REAL fun!!!

The character I've been asked to create is a Rogue/Mage solidly based in the unique Arabian Knights mold - Meaning that Rogue and Magic User profiles from standard fantasy don't exactly apply. It's a BIG fantasy campaign based on 400 pt constructs (wow).

So... has anyone attempted to create or adapt any form of Arabian Knights to a HERO Fantasy game. I'd love to look at any examples of unique Arabian magic (beyond Rope Trick, of course :) ) or specialty skills/powers/talents - etc.

If anyone has a cool suggestion, jot it down here!!!

Fun Pics I found (add your own!):

Re: Arabian Knights

If you have access to Hero's sourcebook The Valdorian Age, the magic system there should work well for the summoning of jinn and other spirits that often appears in Arabian Nights stories.

Apologies to Michael Surbrook for usurping his privilege ;) , but here are a couple of relevant creature write-ups from his website.

Ghul: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/myth/ghul.html

Jinn: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/myth/jinn.html

Here are some warrior templates from Al-Qadim converted to Hero: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39015&highlight=Al-Qadim

Via this link you can download a free PDF of a Fantasy Hero conversion of the classic AD&D Middle-Eastern-styled adventure module, Desert of Desolation/Pharaoh!: http://www.kestrelarts.com/text/Pharaoh.pdf

There was an old cartoon called Arabian Knights on the Banana Splits Show and a cartoon called Shazzan if you find them you could find interesting ideas. one AK character could shift into any animal form' date=' imaginr that for a rogue/ mage.[/quote']

In all of the research I've been doing I've found certain memes; Golems, Shrinking, and especially Shape Change are consistently prevalent in the Arabian stories along with the usual flying carpets, magical gemstones/jewelry, djinn, demons and the like. In fact, the dueling mystics who challenge each other to an escalating shape-changing battle originates from Arabia. And there always seems to be a small princess obediently hiding in a jewel box somewhere around the tent. :)

Interestingly (out side of cinema) swordplay is somewhat downplayed as the heroes tend to be thinkers above capable fighters.

There was an old cartoon called Arabian Knights on the Banana Splits Show and a cartoon called Shazzan if you find them you could find interesting ideas. one AK character could shift into any animal form' date=' imaginr that for a rogue/ mage.[/quote']

One of my favs when I was a kid:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ1XDzF2TTg&feature=PlayList&p=AEEE06DC20D565FE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=54

High powered is NO PROBLEM! This game has characters based on 400 Real Points with no serious Active Point limit. :)

Thanks for sharing!

[EDIT]...

"Trackless Step" :thumbup:

"Charming Tale Teller" :thumbup::thumbup:

These are great! I may even introduce these characters to the GM to help flesh out his Arabian city!!! (with your permission, of course). BTW: The city's name is Shai-Hulud in homage to the great worms of Dune. :)

There's an anime called El-Hazard the Magnificent World that had an Arabian theme which someone converted to Hero system. There was an RPG book by BESM but is long out of print (your local game store MIGHT have a copy). It's not pure Arabian Knights but it does provide an interesting setting.

Hmmm... I ran a multi year campaign set in an Arabian knights style fantasy setting back in fourth ed, but it was built on relatively low point totals compared to what you're looking for. Mostly what made it unique was the cultural rather than mechanical.

I will hesitantly recommend the Crescent Empire book from the 7th Sea game as a source of possible material. 3806.jpg

The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook was my fav Al-Qadim suppliment. It's all about strange new ways of approaching magic.

The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook:http://www.scribd.com/doc/24912761/The-Complete-Sha-Ir-s-Handbook

[blurb on back cover]:

Discover the secrets of sha'irs, who counsel and cavort with genies. Unravel the mysteries of elemental mages, who bend flame and sand to their will! This magical tome holds a wealth of new information about Zakhara's exotic wizards and their dazzling enchantments. Within you'll find new kits, from clockwork mages to spellslayers. Here too are new spells and proficiencies, plus clandestine and nefarious societies - exposed at last! A must-have for all Dungeon Masters and wizard players in the AL-QADIM campaign.

• 3 weeks later...