Cloud cities of Venus: I am totally gonna use this idea!

Xavier Onassiss

From (where else?) the latest Rocketpunk Manifesto blog entry, discussing the colonization of Venus:

To my surprise there has even been some credible discussion of colonization - not of the hellish surface but the upper atmosphere, with aerostats AKA balloons. At 50 km above the surface the atmospheric pressure is equal to Earth's, and temperatures are near the human comfort zone, 0-50 C. Human breathing mix is a lifting gas on Venus (with roughly half the lifting power per cubic meter of helium on Earth), so the entire gas envelope can contain breathing air.

I love this image: a magnificent floating city inside a gigantic bubble of air, drifting on poisonous winds, 50 kilometers over hell. Humanity collectively lifts a technological middle finger to the hostile universe, signaling our intention to thrive everywhere....

Re: Cloud cities of Venus: I am totally gonna use this idea!

While laborers sweat and struggle in hideous conditions on the surface to mine the minerals needed to support the cloud city, and condemned prisoners confined to an inescapable cavern of survivability curse the dwellers above.

If there was ever a scenario for a social division into Heaven and Hell, this is it.

While laborers sweat and struggle in hideous conditions on the surface to mine the minerals needed to support the cloud city, and condemned prisoners confined to an inescapable cavern of survivability curse the dwellers above.

If there was ever a scenario for a social division into Heaven and Hell, this is it.

It's all good until Captain Kirk shows up:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_Minders

a magnificent floating city inside a gigantic bubble of air' date=' drifting on poisonous winds, 50 kilometers over hell. Humanity collectively lifts a technological middle finger to the hostile universe, signaling our intention to thrive everywhere....[/quote'] ...as sulphuric acid slowly eats through the balloon's skin...

It's all good until Captain Kirk shows up:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_Minders

I was afraid someone would pounce on that. :rolleyes:

Sigh. There's always a party pooper. :no:

Stained glass. Just in case the original concept wasn't completely over-the-top.

Xavier, don't mind these guys. Just because an idea is a little over the top, requires a little applied phlebotinum, and may be an homage to a classic show, does not mean it is not good fiction or gaming fodder. I like the idea. If you can figure out a way to update all the classic tropes in your game, more power to you.

Stained glass. Just in case the original concept wasn't completely over-the-top.

Ooooohhhhh, Pretty!

Either coating is do-able for hard SF assuming realistic nanotech.

I see Airships with self-sealing Fullerene pressure hulls with lead coatings to resist the acid as workhorse vehicles.

Of course, it's possible I just like the idea of a setting with Lead Zeppelins.

Xavier' date=' don't mind these guys. Just because an idea is a little over the top, requires a little applied phlebotinum, and may be an homage to a classic show, does not mean it is not good fiction or gaming fodder. I like the idea. If you can figure out a way to update all the classic tropes in your game, more power to you.[/quote']

I say, let 'em have their fun. This concept fits my campaign, so it'll find a place there. (Maybe not on Venus...I already destroyed Venus. Some other hot-house planet with a super-dense atmosphere.)

Ooooohhhhh, Pretty!

Either coating is do-able for hard SF assuming realistic nanotech.

I see Airships with self-sealing Fullerene pressure hulls with lead coatings to resist the acid as workhorse vehicles.

Of course, it's possible I just like the idea of a setting with Lead Zeppelins.

And with all those stained-glass cities floating in the sky, we'll have to get Roger Dean to do the album cover art....

You know, all this talk of floating stained-glass cities reminds me of a Chronicle from Keith "Adjective" Curtis's magnificent HERO post-apocalyptic campaign website, The Savage Earth. Let me show you one of the destinations of his brave adventurers, "The Celestial City":

The wind speeds are high up there, too. I am not sure how turbulent they are, but wind shear is deadly to airships and the like. But if you can get into a place with high winds and low wind shear, then the superrotation of the atmosphere will give you approximately a day-night cycle of approximately 4 Earth days, rather than about 116 Earth days for a point fixed to the solid surface.

The temperature 50 km up is tolerable, but there are problems with the atmosphere chemistry. You're going to have have a sealed environment anyway, though, since humans can't tolerate much CO2 in their breathing gas at all. So if you give the outer hull (and the air locks, of course) a good layer of corrosion resistant stuff ... easy enough to handwave in a sci-fi campaign ... then it'd be OK. The thing would still be well under the tops of the clouds, though.

I wonder if you could stick some probes into the acidic atmosphere and get free battery power? Or have a post hanging down into the hotter clouds for a psudo-geothermal thing. That's it! STEAM power! Pipe down water, have it boil up the pipe, turn a turbine, condense, return, etc...

Because if you are going to have a stained glass balloon city on Venus, it needs to be powered by steam!

I wonder if you could stick some probes into the acidic atmosphere and get free battery power? Or have a post hanging down into the hotter clouds for a psudo-geothermal thing. That's it! STEAM power! Pipe down water, have it boil up the pipe, turn a turbine, condense, return, etc...

Because if you are going to have a stained glass balloon city on Venus, it needs to be powered by steam!

Using the thermal differential could probably be made to work. Another idea that's been put forward is lowering a tether with a wind turbine on the end.

Question: Should there be a 2pt adder on Life Support called "Safe in Corrosive Environments"?

It seems reasonable to define an additional Safe Environment for a condition that's unique to but common in your campaign setting.