Now taking suggestions - HERO System Combat in Two Pages

Everyone seems to like the free, unofficial "HERO System in Two Pages". However, there remains areas of confusion about HERO System - Specifically, non-players seem confused about how, exactly, one runs or plays HERO System Combat.

So, I will be doing a HERO System Combat in Two Pages. I'm looking for suggestions on what and how to add.

Current Bullet-Point chart for section headings:

*) CV, OCV, DCV: What are they?

*) MCV: What is it?

*) Combat Maneuvers: How do I use them?

*) Knockback, Knockdown, Impairment and Disablement: The Dirty Tricks of Combat.

*) Normal Damage, Killing Damage, BODY and STUN: Ack! Too much info!

*) BODY, STUN and ENDurance: Tracking, taking and recovering.

*) Damage Classes (DCs): The dark art of Damage Classes.

Re: Now taking suggestions - HERO System Combat in Two Pages

I'd center it more on the various tasks you need to perform, rather than the characteristics. For example:

• Physical Attack Roll: 3d6 <= 11 + Attacker OCV - Defender DCV (or, DCV hit = 11 + OCV - 3d6)
  • Mental Attack Roll: 3d6 <= 11 + Attacker OMCV - Defender DMCV (or, DMCV hit = 11 + OMCV - 3d6)
  • Normal Damage: For each d6: Stun = Pip Count; Body = (0 Body for 1) (1 Body for 2-5) (2 Body for 6)
  • Killing Damage: Body = Pip Count; Stun = Body x 1d3

I'd center it more on the various tasks you need to perform, rather than the characteristics. For example:

• Physical Attack Roll: 3d6 <= 11 + Attacker OCV - Defender DCV (or, DCV hit = 11 + OCV - 3d6)
  • Mental Attack Roll: 3d6 <= 11 + Attacker OMCV - Defender DMCV (or, DMCV hit = 11 + OMCV - 3d6)
  • Normal Damage: For each d6: Stun = Pip Count; Body = (0 Body for 1) (1 Body for 2-5) (2 Body for 6)
  • Killing Damage: Body = Pip Count; Stun = Body x 1d3

• Mental Effect: Total dice pips, compare to target's EGO.

CV = Combat Value. It comes in 2 flavors: Offensive (OCV) is your chance to land your attack on a target; Defense (DCV) is your chance to evade an attack on you. Various Combat Maneuvers and Skills can give a bonus or penalty to either or both. Also, attacks at a range of more than 8 meters suffer an increasing penalty to their accuracy.

Mental Combat Value, psionic attack and defense. As with regular CV, it comes in Offensive and Defensive flavors. Mental attacks normally don't have a range penalty, as long as the attacker can see or otherwise sense the target mind.

Maybe split it into 2 documents - one for Heroic and one for Superheroic? The two styles often use different parts of the combat rules, and I doubt you could squeeze all of the combat rules down to two pages otherwise.

@Teh Bunneh: Thanks!

@Arc: I'll have to see how it works out.

@Tom, Joe: Those were chapter heading ideas - Which I should have made clear.

You might want to combine those first couple into a more general definitions section.

*) CV, OCV, MCV, DC, etc. - Defining your Terms (Don't Panic!)

Mentioning some of these aspects of the combat system might be helpful to prospective Hero combatants:

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHero/HERO5CombatTactics.aspx

Obviously, mentioning too much will be overkill, but I think it's a very good analysis. :)

Other than that, describing the concepts behind the combat maneuvers in broad terms might make them more understandable - I usually start with saying something like:

"Generally speaking, the bonuses or penalties from these maneuvers also tell you something about what they look like - OCV bonuses means that they are quickly performed and difficult to react to in time to defend effectively against, and vice versa. DCV penalties means that the maneuver leaves you less effective when defending, meaning that you'll end up off-balance and/or vulnerable to counterattacks when performing it, and vice versa."

That has usually done the trick for my new Hero players to get an "aha" look.

Just 0.02 Euro. :)

• 2 years later...

I hate performing thread necromancy, but in this case I could REALLY use this, it would make an excellent companion to the HSi2P, especially for new players. Has this project fallen by the wayside, or was it completed & posted elsewhere?

Thanks, Hyper-Man, but I've already got Hero System In Two Pages (and I must say it is awesome). This thread, however, was for a follow-up product that Narf the Mouse was working on: Hero System COMBAT in Two Pages. Even though it's been over two years since it was last discussed here, I'm still hoping that Narf might finish it someday... if he hasn't done so already.

Thanks' date=' Hyper-Man, but I've already got [i']Hero System In Two Pages[/i] (and I must say it is awesome). This thread, however, was for a follow-up product that Narf the Mouse was working on: Hero System COMBAT in Two Pages. Even though it's been over two years since it was last discussed here, I'm still hoping that Narf might finish it someday... if he hasn't done so already.

I'm still hoping that Narf might finish it someday. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get near as much play in as I'd like, so my understanding of combat lags way behind my understanding of character creation (of which I've done lots).

I'm still hoping that Narf might finish it someday. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get near as much play in as I'd like, so my understanding of combat lags way behind my understanding of character creation (of which I've done lots).

I totally understand, I've only just recently got back into a Hero game as a player and I'm working on setting up another game that I want to run (hopefully later this year or early next year), so I've been rather out-of-practice as well. I'll just have to keep an eye on this thread and hope that your Hero-playing fortunes turn around soon!

Everyone seems to like the free, unofficial "HERO System in Two Pages". However, there remains areas of confusion about HERO System - Specifically, non-players seem confused about how, exactly, one runs or plays HERO System Combat.

So, I will be doing a HERO System Combat in Two Pages. I'm looking for suggestions on what and how to add.

Current Bullet-Point chart for section headings:

*) Combat Maneuvers: How do I use them?

*) Knockback, Knockdown, Impairment and Disablement: The Dirty Tricks of Combat.

*) Normal Damage, Killing Damage, BODY and STUN: Ack! Too much info!

*) BODY, STUN and ENDurance: Tracking, taking and recovering.

*) Damage Classes (DCs): The dark art of Damage Classes.

How about a 1 Rolled an X with an OCV of Y what DCV did I just hit. ie Show the sneaky advanced version of the OCV equation.

• 1 month later...