Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

REH was a stickler for Detail. Right up to 3 months before his death he was writing official heights and weights for Conan at the age of 15' date=' heh.....from Rouges in the House you get: [b']"... a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him than the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred, almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."[/b]......

And that's just one of the short Snipets. Cimmerians were REAL men. They had Hair on their Arms, legs, and chests (REH described Conan as hairy chested as well), heh, and Conan in particular, Bronzed skin from constant exposure to the sun, smoldering blue eyes and square cut mane of black hair....REH was Exceptionally descriptive in his writing. Besides, especially in Howards day, you weren't a MAN, if you didn't have hair on your chest. Conan also wore whatever the clothes of the area he was In for the most part, and LOT'S of Armor as well. Comics for the most part is where the Loincloth and only loin cloth came from....

~Rex

Not to get in the middle of the bromance you seem to be having with Conan here, but the desription that you just quoted as evidence of hairy Cimmerians actually says nothing about body hair. Most of the famous Conan art, like Vallejo, doesn't show him as particularly hirsuit. There may be a passage somewhere, but I have read most of Howard (maybe not all of it, but most of it) and there is a lot of iron-thews and buldging necks, but not much about hairy chests that I recall.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Goradin

iron-thews and buldging necks

Which Momoa doesn't have in spades. Conan certainly was not as muscle bound as Arnold. But I have hefted a grown man and tossed him in real life. There is no way that Momoa could do that with his physique. I am 42 and still can military press over 240 lbs. I bet he can't 120 lbs above his head, most guys can't do 100 lbs. I do think Arnold was too big and I think Momoa was not big enough.

It human nature to try to find simularities with our heroes. But most men are woefully incapable of physical combat that their heroes do in the books.

A lot of little guys always say that Conan is pantherish. But they simply don't know what thew means. It means musclar development and power folks not lithe ballet muscles. NFL linebackers are a good example of what Conan should be like. Not Arnold not Momoa but in between, but they are muscled and faster than most. There are big men that can move faster than the normal. 4.5 forty speed happens all the time at the NFL combine sometimes from 250 + lbers. Conan was not the strongest in the books, he met people stronger than him a few times and he had to use cunning and guile but rarely was he slower unless wounded. Conan was a rare combination of size, speed and strength. Momoa really isn't half a head taller than men either. He has a good Conan scowl though. Overall, I think he will be ok. But his hire in general is somewhat low budget which scares me a little. Unknowns can wow or they can tank too and its always dicey.

That being said, they will never be able to size up guys right in Hollywood. There are simply are not guys with the bodies who can act well. Thor is 6'6" in the comics. We don't know Conan's height but half a head taller than normal men is the assumed norm. Howard was 6'2" and many assume there is some autobiographical evidence of him basing Conan on himself. But finding guys that this tall with blue eyes and the builds and the like are unlikely. Guys this size are rare. Momoa looks ok, but no one will ever beat our mindeye's Conan. Just as Aragorn in the LOTR movies was well recieved but Viggo is a very unherioc 5'11". Where Tolkien scholars surmise he would have been 6 foot 6 inches tall being a Dunedain and the books state he was the tallest in the fellowship. But he did well in the role despite his lack of height compared to the character. Point is they will never be able to duplicate these characters precisely. Guys as tall as these characters are in the 95 Percentile and a lot of tall guys don't have the build. That is why they are fictional creations.

I am glad to see both getting films. I don't think Hollywood will ever do Conan or Howard justice. It would be hard to give Thor his proper due. I plan on watching both and enjoying that we fanboys drive a lot of Hollywood's business these days.

BTW, Baronspam, Varejo's Conan paintings are less well known too many than Frazetta's.

http://www.google.com/images?q=conan+frazetta&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1193&bih=695

Not to get in the middle of the bromance you seem to be having with Conan here' date=' but the desription that you just quoted as evidence of hairy Cimmerians actually says nothing about body hair. Most of the famous Conan art, like Vallejo, doesn't show him as particularly hirsuit. There may be a passage somewhere, but I have read most of Howard (maybe not all of it, but most of it) and there is a lot of iron-thews and buldging necks, but not much about hairy chests that I recall.[/quote']

Ah, if I dig back to post 29 where I answered the Chest Hair question the first time...... Ch. III; "The Cliffs Reel":

1. "Wrenching away the bow and an arrow he staggered toward the opening of the pavilion. So formidable was his appearance, naked but for short leather breeks and sleeveless shirt, open to reveal his great, hairy chest, with his huge limbs and his blue eyes blazing under his tangled black mane,........". (not the first nor last description like that, the previous statement you quoted was in regards to the issue that as a writer, REH was exceptionally difficult to top, when it came to a description of an element within the tale itself...)...

As for the Art. There is a LOT of Conan art that predates (Check out the first cover for the Forst Giants Daughter, by I want to say, Stephen Fabian, I do believe I still own the Playboys that model featured in, heh), Vallejo whom to be honest I've always felt paled in comparisson to guys like Frazetta and a few others that did a lot of the earlier book covers once the REH Conan material started rolling out back in the paperback heydays....Vallejo has far more talent then I ever will have but his stuff always looks the same to me. That and it fit better more on the covers of a John Norman Gor novel rather then the Conan Material....

As for the Physicality, by REH's own words, Conan is basically 6'2, 210. In a land of 5'7 guys, that's a monster. Momoa is 6'4 215 and layering on even more muscle for the part. I even stated when I started this thread that I wasn't impressed with the casting at first but it's gradually been growing on me, especially when you look at the set pics where you get to see Momoa against the other people and things in the movie for Scale....He's a lanky dude though so not sure how the end effect is going to look. Need a trailer.

I was actually down for Manu Bennet (Crixus from Spartacus Blood and Sand)for the part of Conan myself, but considering some of the other people they were looking at for the role, like Jared Padeleki for example, I'm glad they went Momoa's direction instead. Goradin is spot on with the Line Backer analogy, since when you combine power AND speed you pretty much end up with that.

Still, planning on enjoying bot this and Thor, heh. A lot of the comparitive pictures though, definitly show that Momoa is carrying a lot more mass then what is apparent in a lot of the singular shots.

~Rex

I swear Conan was more around 6'4" to 6'6", simply based on how he's described. Anyway, I think Vallejo did some excellent Conan paintings, that capture Conan's size and muscle tone, however, his use of photo poses means that a lot of his stuff is very static looking, even if it was supposed to be an action shot (Alex Ross has similar issues.) But then, no one, and I do mean no one, does/did action like Frazetta.

Teaser trailer for Conan is in front of the Battle: L.A. movie. Very brief, but you get a serious impression of Physicality from Momoa. Got a good vibe from it and it went over with the theater really well.

~Rex

Nope, but on a gigantic screen in the theater the other day, it went over real well even if it was just a little teaser. About as well as the first Thor teaser actually I'd say.

Good thing about a teaser this early is that we should have a full trailer pretty soon. That will tell more obviously.

~Rex

Good to hear an actual quote from "Queen of the Black Coast" in there. Momoa doesn't just look like Howard's depiction of Conan, he sounds like you'd expect Howard's Conan to talk, as well. And that sword looks the real deal, too, not like Ah-noldt's Atlantean wall-hanger in the first movie.

Of course, all the fan-boys who only know Conan from the movie will be moaning that this isn't the "real" Conan, but those of us who know Conan from the stories will be cheering, I suspect.

Yeah I've seen a few similar comments as well. The crowd in the theater disagrees though. Besides that, it's just a teaser. Not sure what folks are expecting from it but it does give a brief bit of sound (sounds like I expect Conan to Sound), lines right out of the book for the most part, some good snap shot looks and a good vibe.

Then again I got a good vibe from all the Thor trailers to and folks seem to hate those, heh.

~Rex....gets a good Conan vibe off this flick. Something that was lacking from previous attempts.....

Just dug into the BDBCC (Big Dang Box of Conan Comics) since I'm in the process for the eventual move out and shuffle routine common to finding a new apartment that doesn't cost a kidney or two to keep for a year. Looking at a lot of the old Barry Windsor Smith stuff (BWS and Roy Thomas, *sigh* miss stuff like that), Momoa has the build, especially for the black and white material and the later stuff.

Methinks, the giant Ah-nold stuff, and a few of the later oddball art things that didn't come from the old comic or older artists is what clouds the view for some folks. Conan is a giant amongst men but he was a 6'2 giant in a land of 5'8 men, heh....

Even a lot of the Vallejo work doesn't show extreme body builder physique until you get to paintings like Dangerous Journey's and a couple of other ones on his site.

Looking at a lot of the rumor mill sites, I think we should get a full trailer fairly soon.

~Rex

I still have a bunch of late 80s/early 90s "Savage Sword of Conan" comics, plus a lot of the more recent Kurt Busiek stuff from Dark Horse. I used to be a very eager collector, but then WHSmith's stopped selling "Savage Sword" and recently my local comic book store shut down, so got bubkis.

Still, I'm looking forward to the full trailer. Not that it'll shut up the Arnie-fans complaining, but me, I suspect my faith will be rewarded.

BTW, they're calling it "Conan the Hawaiian" on Youtube now. And apparently, Momoa is a 147lb (possibly gay) CK model. I've given trying to talk to these people.

It's the pro Ah-nold crowd that wasn't even Alive when the movie came out that crack me up the most. Honestly though I don't think it's going to end until the movie actually rolls out. It's got a pretty good wad of cash to work with, a solid director from the looks of it (otherwise Stephen Lang would not have signed on board), good cast picks, a solid Fight and Stunt team, and the guy that did the music for 300 is rocking the score and music for Conan.

So, seems like a win win so far. Then again I actually know folks that didn't realize Conan had a presence Before the Ah-nold movie. So, should be interesting.

~Rex

It's the pro Ah-nold crowd that wasn't even Alive when the movie came out that crack me up the most. Honestly though I don't think it's going to end until the movie actually rolls out. It's got a pretty good wad of cash to work with, a solid director from the looks of it (otherwise Stephen Lang would not have signed on board), good cast picks, a solid Fight and Stunt team, and the guy that did the music for 300 is rocking the score and music for Conan.

So, seems like a win win so far. Then again I actually know folks that didn't realize Conan had a presence Before the Ah-nold movie. So, should be interesting.

~Rex

The Arnold Conan wasn't that bad. However it suffered from as mish-mash of Conan and Kull, combining Belit and Valeria, and story elements taken from Conan pastiches, not the original stories. The sequel, on the other hand.... *shudder*

The Arnold Conan wasn't that bad. However it suffered from as mish-mash of Conan and Kull' date=' combining Belit and Valeria, and story elements taken from Conan pastiches, not the original stories. The sequel, on the other hand.... *shudder*[/quote']

I liked it well enough but I thought The Sword and the Sorcerer was more Conan-esque.

I agree on both points, and still consider Sword and the Sorcerer to be one of my favorite movies "bad" movies of all time. Not to mention, had Kathleen Beller in it, hence, awesome eye candy flick.

That movie actually did feel more "Conan" like then the Conan flick, which actually felt more Kull to me, not to mention the mish mash issues that were bugging me the whole time.

And to think, we're going to see a Thulsa Doom movie where Thulsa gets to be the hero....

Alas Hollywood, slayer of dreams.

~Rex

I agree on both points, and still consider Sword and the Sorcerer to be one of my favorite movies "bad" movies of all time. Not to mention, had Kathleen Beller in it, hence, awesome eye candy flick.

That movie actually did feel more "Conan" like then the Conan flick, which actually felt more Kull to me, not to mention the mish mash issues that were bugging me the whole time.

And to think, we're going to see a Thulsa Doom movie where Thulsa gets to be the hero....

Say what now?

Didn't hear about that one? It sorta tags along with all the REH material I keep track of out there on the interwebz. From, Variety originally then xeroxed by Coming Soon and it's entire family......

From the Conan the Barbarian and Kull comics

Djimon Hounsou has partnered with Dynamite Entertainment to star in and produce a big screen feature about immortal sorcerer Thulsa Doom, a central figure in the Conan the Barbarian and Kull comic books, reports Variety.

The character will be featured in his own comic book series, published by Dynamite, an imprint of Dynamic Forces, next year.

He originally appeared in the Robert E. Howard pulp story "Delcardes' Cat," published in the 1930s.

Doom was portrayed by James Earl Jones in 1982's Conan the Barbarian.

The planned film will showcase the origins of the flawed hero and show how his road to hell was paved with good intentions.

I could dig out the actual links if I have to but I'm sure folks can work Google well enough nowadays. Like the actor, Idea itself though, not so much.

~Rex

Okay, for starters, Thulsa Doom was a foe (or sorts) of King Kull. Conan encountered Thoth Amon.

Actually, Conan never encountered Thoth-Amon... but he's exists in Conan's world and appears in several stories.

Right but in the AH-Nold movie, it was Thulsa Doom. Hence, people think Thulsa Doom was a Conan Villain from the start. His Conan clashes were like in three or so issues of Savage Sword, and he actually tangled more with Cormac Mac Art then with Conan ever. *shrug* But, most folks just remember James Earl Jones giving Conan the Flesh Lecture.

Either way, up to an including the either Skull Headed (after undeath) aspects, Albino Aspects, or Dude getting Pwned by Kull, I just don't see where they can get a movie out of it. Far to much of a Scorpion King angle from the looks of it. Hero turned bad, etc etc .....

~Rex

Yeah....I have......read the book as well, heh. I have this horrible sneaking suspicion that I may have seen EVERY Nic Cage movie, including Season of the Witch, but I think that would qualify as something bad.

~Rex.....says just remember we almost had Nic Cage as Superman.