Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

Surfing down stairs on his shield aside, the Peter M Jackson Legolas was pretty bad-ass. I mean, he never misses a shot, hit wolves and riders at hundreds of yards, and single-handledly takes down a Mûmakil.

That still only counts as one. And even the Peter M Jackson Legolas wasn't as badass in some ways as the Legolas in the books, who could determine the color of a rider's hair from ten leagues away. The difference, I think, is one of attitude, not actual level of badass.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That still only counts as one. And even the Peter M Jackson Legolas wasn't as badass in some ways as the Legolas in the books' date=' who could determine the color of a rider's hair from ten leagues away. The difference, I think, is one of attitude, not actual level of badass.[/quote']

True. While over all excellent films, the Jackson LOTR movies do have some major (IMO) flaws. Making Gimli comic relief is one, Legolas goofy combat stunts in another, the elves at Helm's Deep is a third, and the ridiculous extended-cut version of the Paths of the Dead is a fourth.

I could have put up with all of those except comic relief Gimli. He deserved better. Indeed, his badassitude was almost equal to Legolas' in the books, and it was the mutual respect they developed on the battlefield that improved future elf-dwarf relations, which up till then had been cool at best.

Conan > Legolas :D

Gimli as comic relief irked the hell out of me in those movies. Haven't seen the extended cut versions yet, actually going to the Fathom Events to watch those on the ginourmas screens.

~Rex

I dislike the choreography in the trailer.

Fancy stances, barrel rolls, Matrix like back arches and leaping Troy like sword thrusts... it's just not at all right for my mental image of Conan...

(which is not to say it will be awful... it's just... jarring...)

Guest Celt

LotR IMO is a great adaption of book to film, with the exception of the horrible horrible presentation of Gimli. I cringed everytime he showed on screen for fear of what terrible things they would have him utter. Crom knows what they were thinking.

Back on topic, I will say I look forward to seeing this movie.

REH was a stickler for Detail. Right up to 3 months before his death he was writing official heights and weights for Conan at the age of 15' date=' heh.....from Rouges in the House you get: [b']"... a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him than the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred, almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."[/b]......

And that's just one of the short Snipets. Cimmerians were REAL men. They had Hair on their Arms, legs, and chests (REH described Conan as hairy chested as well), heh, and Conan in particular, Bronzed skin from constant exposure to the sun, smoldering blue eyes and square cut mane of black hair....REH was Exceptionally descriptive in his writing. Besides, especially in Howards day, you weren't a MAN, if you didn't have hair on your chest. Conan also wore whatever the clothes of the area he was In for the most part, and LOT'S of Armor as well. Comics for the most part is where the Loincloth and only loin cloth came from....

~Rex

In one of those creepy teenage experiences that amount to "more than I need to know" I overheard my mother and her friends discussing men in the kitchen. They all seemed to like men with "a good rug"... on his chest. Its generational, I think. Our generation tends to prefer the depilatory look (for whatever reason). But the generations before us considered hair a sign of manliness. In other words, I agree REH probably felt the same way. But is there an actual reference in a story - an actual quote? Its not in the one you provided. If not, then its open to the reader's imagination.

Of course there's actual written material. It's REH. Again for the folks that weren't around last couple of times I posted the snippet.

"Hour of the Dragon".....

Ch. III; "The Cliffs Reel":

1. "Wrenching away the bow and an arrow he staggered toward the opening of the pavilion. So formidable was his appearance, naked but for short leather breeks and sleeveless shirt, open to reveal his great, hairy chest, with his huge limbs and his blue eyes blazing under his tangled black mane,........".

Like they say in G.I.Joe....Knowing is Half the battle. Chest hair is manly, it's BACK HAIR that women hate. :D

~Rex...note this also shows Conan's Other Hairstyle, the Tangled Black Mane. Which would end up Square Cut when he got tired of it being in his face or having Red Cloaked Gorilla's using it for leverage.

"Hour of the Dragon".....

Ch. III; "The Cliffs Reel":

1. "Wrenching away the bow and an arrow he staggered toward the opening of the pavilion. So formidable was his appearance, naked but for short leather breeks and sleeveless shirt, open to reveal his great, hairy chest, with his huge limbs and his blue eyes blazing under his tangled black mane,........".

There you have it.

Shaving body hair was pretty common among the aristocratic warrior class men of the early Celts actually (I can dig up a cite if desired), and the Cimmerians are supposed to be the Proto-Irish, so it could really go either way

Edit: Postscript: Hmm, wonder if Slaine is a descendant of Conan?

Slaine, though exceptionally Cool (And a vastly under rated RPG and setting), alas, does not fit in the Hyboria-Modern times evolution.

Just for those not familiar with the Hyborian Age itself, we give you the wikipedia linkage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age

Actual Celts are way way way down the line yet, heh. In a few of the movie interviews, one of the things Momoa brings up is how well the things like Scars, and Chest Hair, helped bring things closer to the books and less Modern Hollywood's (and or Aristocratic Early Celt Warriors) girlie man habits of shaving their Chest Hair. :D Besides when one starts as Atlantean Stock, that devolves to Apeman, then back up to Cimmerian, a bit of body hair should not be unexpected.

~Rex.....who has often been mistaken for a sasquatch to begin with. :D

don't really care either way myself, like I said, but IIRC, the main reason the early Celts shaved (other than the usual peer pressure thing) was to show off their scars and tattoos. And woad looks sloppy over a big mat of hair,

I haven't side by sided a map of the Slaine pre-flood Europe with REH's Hyboria sketches, but from a quick glance in the appendix of my Conan collection it looks like the Hyborian coastlines spread a lot further than the Slaine era ones, and they share the "Crom is actually a hideous Lovecraftian monster" meme, so it could work :P

You have to give those book some love for keeping the Conan name out there in the public view. Without them there might not be as much interest.

Yeah, I agree, my first Conan stories were from the DeCamp and Carter books. I probably would have never read REH if it hadn't been for those books.

hmmm...

in the younger Conan REH stories, he uses a lot of adjectives like "gaunt" "rangy" and "feral"

He does lots of very twisty dodging

In Xuthal of the Dusk, yeah, that's totally a spawn of Tsathoggua

edit:

Oh, and the promo shot is dead on... the head hunched forward and down, eyes blazing from beneath his hair.

He hits that pose about once a story.

Probably for the extra +4d6 on his PRE attack...

I loves the comic series, but Slaine is an RPG now?

That actually sounds kind of cool ...

cheers, Mark

WAS. Though you can still find it. We Demoed it from day one for Mongoose when it first popped up. Used the Runequest engine with a few tweaks here and there. Got the Orange Book of Doom......then got dropped about a year back or so.

Extreamly well done game. Just a niche fanbase and while it started to catch on, *shrug* Were some continuance rumors out there, possibly someone else picking it up but with the lock step partnership between Mongoose and the 2000AD owners....not sure where it would go.

Could scare up a copy most likely if you really want one though, :D

~Rex

hmmm...

in the younger Conan REH stories, he uses a lot of adjectives like "gaunt" "rangy" and "feral"

edit:

Oh, and the promo shot is dead on... the head hunched forward and down, eyes blazing from beneath his hair.

One of the big things that pops up, usually in the REH material and the BWS Comic stuff .....what makes Conan so Dangerous isn't so much his Strength (Which he has much of and isn't contested that often), but his sheer Speed.....

The Fact that he's Faster then just about anyone saves his bacon more times then just about anything else.

~Rex

hmmm...

edit:

"Lean" and "pantherish" both stick out in my memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rex beat me to it and I'm pretty cheesed. Not because he got here first but because Howard is gone and, on a more personal note, I missed Robert E. Howard days. But I can still read some Howard stories: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Robert_Ervin_Howard and post some short videos based on a couple of those stories. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEEiHKmySo