Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

Brotherhood of the Wolf was pretty good all around... as was The 13th Warrior.

I'll have to add, The Beast Master, and Sword and the Sorcerer to that list, though I think 13th Warrior would have been a tad better with more Eaters of the Dead and slightly less Antonio Banderas.

Still though the more I see pic's wise from this upcoming flick, the more I am getting a better vibe from it. Momoa actually has a good Conan look going there, and they are according to the written material in the links I tossed out, going for Speed with this one as opposed to Herculean Power....

~Rex.....says as we know SPEED was always Conan's biggest Ace in the hole, not just the brute strength.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the folks that are much like myself, link limited for one reason or another.

conanmovienew1.jpg

conanmovienew2.jpg

conanmovienew3.jpg

So....we got, scars, savage look, mane of hair, impression of speed, hell body hair even, and even beter yet, what looks more like a functional sword to. So.....

All I think we need now is a shot of the bad guy, because even the costume look appears right on target.

~Rex

I'd almost side with you there but I had a great time with that movie and at the time, I doubt it would have gone over as well in it's Sci Fi boots. People understood Fantasy back then, Sci Fi, you had maybe three avenues. 1: Starwars. 2: Star Trek. 3: Alien (esque aka the Alien is killing/eating everyone).....Pure Form book Beast Master wouldn't have worked for anyone other then a handful of us most likely.

Besides Marc Singer was cool enough to get me Tanya Roberts Autograph and wasn't even jokingly mean to me when I needed a running start to work up the nerve to say hello to her (heh, so I'm gonna say nice things about his movie); Granted, it was kinda like the scene in A-Team where they are telling B.A. to Man Up and get on the plane, but it was well intended.

~Rex...btw...Marc Singer....best guest a Convention can ever have. Guy works a crowd better then P.T. Barnum

I can never forgive them for making a GR8 SF novel into a Sword & Sorcery movie!

To be fair, most of Andre Norton's SF had some of the style and trappings of mysticism, if not outright magic.

Re Momoa's costume: It is a relief that he's not constantly parading around in a loin cloth; but if he doesn't have at least one scene where he's wearing a shirt or vest or chain mail or something practical over his torso, I'm calling cop-out.

I must say he's a lot scarier looking than Arnie ever was.

Beastmaster is a terrific movie. . . Marc Singer and Tanya Roberts, Rip Torn as a carpet-chewing bad guy, BDSM zombies and birdmen vampires. What more do you want?

And Lord Liaden. . . about Momoa looking scarier than Schwarzenegger ever did? Oh, so very much so. :thumbup:

Beastmaster is a terrific movie. . . Marc Singer and Tanya Roberts' date=' Rip Torn as a carpet-chewing bad guy, BDSM zombies and birdmen vampires. What more do you want? [/quote']

Have you read Beastmaster?

I was sold on it when they ended up with Stephen Lang as the Bad Guy. As the flick evolves I'm liking it more and more, but then I grew up in the VHS heyday of the insta Fantasy movies, such as the Ator the Eagle stuff and more. Even if it goes direct to DVD I'll snag it (and lately, the Direct to DvD market has been better then the majority of the screen releases), but I can see this making it to a big screen. Especially after the last run of drek I've been suffering through while being laid off, heh.....

Did get into a huge arguementwith one of my know it all Gamer friends that has the Huge Broad Wall of Muscle vision of Conan (the last few comics plus Arnie idea) burned into his retina, and I can't talk him into actually reading the REH books, because he's one of those "starting his own company (insert type here) and "knows all", but, I can at least console myself with picking up the book and kicking back and enjoying a good read while waiting for the inevitable day when I get to say I told you so as I always do. :D

Getting a good vibe off this so far. Even if it's not brilliant, I think it will at least do justice to the topic.

~Rex

• 4 months later...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Andre Norton.

doh.....

Andre Norton. I never connected the movie Beastmaster with that book. Completely different IMO. Just sharing a few general ideas, like a western and a cop movie sharing guns.

But I would have never imagined the two were connected until you pointed it out.

Seen some more stills and such for the movie. I have to say it's starting to really look like a Conan story. NOW, that being said I've no intention of watching it in 3D, as I have learned my 3D lessons at great expense, but this flick so far, will get at least 5 bucks for an early show from me.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but when I look at the sheer volume of 3D flicks, and I can only point at three or so of them and go, "That was cool because of the 3D"....

That doesn't say a lot for it, especially when you have the 2D version to compare it to. For Conan, I can't see 3D making anymore of a difference then what it did with the sad Clash of the Titans remake......

~Rex

Yeah me to but so far, it's not setting off any warning bells or such except for the 3D thing. I like the cast, the Stills look like Conan, other things from the various sites all seem to line up, so as long as they don't deviate from Conan, and run off the direction of something like Clash of the Titans, it should work out pretty well.

One thing the 3D thing does seem to point to though, is a theaterical release. Not just straight to DvD (though there is nothing wrong with the straight to DvD, seen some mighty fine movies that way since it let's them put the distribution money into the film).....

~Rex

Well the 3D thing does seem to be pretty much a "ohhh lookie at the neat cool thing" and then jumping on the bandwagon.

But I have to admit I have only seen one movie in 3D since th new revival started so I guess I haven't seen enough to really give an opinion. But the 3D in the one I did see didn't strike me down with awe. It was OK, but the 3D wasn't really hype-worthy. IMO.

I'm underwhelmed with 3D. Since I've got a lot of free time with the Day Job being basically non existant, and I don't watch TV, I've had a lot of time to compare 2D and 3D flicks in the theater. Aside from maybe 3 movies, it's just not worth the extra cash. Might be the reason it went out of favor oh, 50 plus years ago, heh.

~Rex

The problem I have with 3-D, aside from it being needless and usually just used to show off "Hey, we did this in 3D!!!2111!11111!111!", is that it strains the eyes to watch. It's still a 2-D surface, your eyes are still *actually* focused on the screen. Add to that the fact that you still need special polarized lenses to see the effect.. just not worth it.