Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

Do you mean Queen of the Black Coast? Although I don't think you could call him a "sex slave" in that one.

I doubt it. Sounds more like one of the stories in the book where Conan hunts down Thoth Amon. It's an anthology of four stories that are all linked to form a whole novel. I just can't remember which one it was. A common problem considering the Conan the _______ system of titling the books. If I saw the cover, though, I'd recognize it. :)

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. Sounds more like one of the stories in the book where Conan hunts down Thoth Amon. It's an anthology of four stories that are all linked to form a whole novel. I just can't remember which one it was. A common problem considering the Conan the _______ system of titling the books. If I saw the cover' date=' though, I'd recognize it. :)[/quote']

It's the one where he's with some nobleman's daughter and their captured by slavers and sold to an Amazon queen. It ends with Conan and the girl set to be sacrificed to man-eating trees, but Conan is able to escape and free himself and the girl. The queen is... Nzinga or something like that.

It's the one where he's with some nobleman's daughter and their captured by slavers and sold to an Amazon queen. It ends with Conan and the girl set to be sacrificed to man-eating trees' date=' but Conan is able to escape and free himself and the girl. The queen is... Nzinga or something like that.[/quote']

After doing a little research (i.e. plugging the names Conan and Nzinga into Google), I discovered that the book in question is Conan the Buccaneer. I knew it was terrible but I now realize that I couldn't figure out which book you were talking about because it was so bad that I blocked several details out of my mind to spare myself further psychological damage.

I just bought another copy of Mention My Name In Atlantis by John Jakes because it's a fun parody of swords and sorcery starring a character named Conax the Barbarian. Unlike most parodies, it's a good-natured one, as evidenced by the dedication:

To the memory of the real Robert E. Howard who has been kept spinning in his grave for the last decade by the new antics of his favorite character's overactive ghost, not to mention his busy and admiring imitators.

Yeah no kidding. A toast indeed.

Seen the trailer now at a few different movies and a few different crowd demographics. Over all response seems to be, Yeah I'll go see it. So, they need to release some more stuff for it.

~Rex

Nobody can do more damage to a character than Johnny "Me Tarzan" Weissmuller.

That damage having been done, all other characters are relatively safe.

Still, it is a sad, unsatisfying sort of martyrdom. Especially since Tarzan himself is now no longer smart enough to know what's going on around him, let alone appreciate his own sacrifice.

RIP, Tarzan, Nature's Triumph.

Long live Tarzan the Aped.

Shame though. A GOOD Tarzan movie is something I would pay money to see. Frankly, there is a lot of potential in any number of Tarzan stories for a fantastic movie. I remember tossing all the books at a friend of mine that had only seen the various Tarzan movies. Shock and Awe, heh.

~Rex

Guest steamteck

Shame though. A GOOD Tarzan movie is something I would pay money to see. Frankly, there is a lot of potential in any number of Tarzan stories for a fantastic movie. I remember tossing all the books at a friend of mine that had only seen the various Tarzan movies. Shock and Awe, heh.

~Rex

Completely agree with that. some really fantastic pulse pounding tales Burroughs told.

Yeah he ranks up there in on my top shelf really. I keep thinking of those stories then look at every Tarzan thing done, from the Old Black and Whites through the TV shows and what not, up to the newer movies.

I keep asking, How could they not See, what's in these books.

Conan pretty much rolls the same way for me. While I had fun with Ah-nolds Conan like a lot of others did. It really didn't FEEL, like Conan to me, and that's before we get into the TV show, uggh.....

One would think though that if this Conan flick does well, we could get some backlash over onto other characters that deserve a better rendition.

~Rex

Aaarrrrrggghhh! Not the "Conan Der Arbenturer" TV show! Doing an autopsy on that would be like doing an autopsy on Don Simpson - easier to say what wasn't wrong with it.

I mean, I saw the pilot and was completely underwhelmed. . . the weapons looked like aluminium, the fight scenes were bloodless (and this was in an 18-rated show), Yag-Kosha was a sock puppet built by kindergartners (and that's being kind) and Conan himself? Apparently trying to find his true love. They couldn't even get a good performance from the shade of Richard Burton as Crom.

As they would say on teh interwebz - "FAIL!"

Is there any other sort' date=' heh. ~Rex[/quote']

Some of the old modules are easily tweaked into a narrative style campaign, which makes them good raw clay from my perspective. I admit a good many of them are totally unsalvagable, though. I used the saltmarsh series followed by tomb of the lizard king as major events in one of my long-running campaigns. I didn't run them straight, of course, and wove them into the bigger picture, but a good dose of credit goes to the modules.

My favorite Conan pastiche is Conan the Rogue. Its got a good Conan feel, but the underlying plot is drawn from Hammet's Maltese Falcon and Red Harvest. It even has characters who are obvious homages to Joel Cairo, Gutman (the Fat Man), and Brigit O'Shaunessy. On the other hand, aside from the MF mcguffin Conan's chasing, it turns very RH once he's at the town where most of the plot unfolds. Red Harvest was the inspiration for Yojimbo, which in turn inspired High Plains Drifter. The above mentioned Conan and the Emerald Lotus would be a close second for me. There are other pastiches I like, but I'd have to really think about it to drum up a list.

Yeah I think Rogue is one of the Pastiche's I can tolerate but then that author does a lot of historical fiction as well which tends to require a level of descriptive realisim beyond that of let's say, your average DnD novel. It's just rough for me to flip through the pastiche's when the folks writing them get on their "I can re-imagine this better!" kick, or simply have a style of writing that is just not condusive to the aspects of the character.

~Rex....

• 4 weeks later...

I just rewatched the whole run of Stargate Atlantis on Netflix, and after a concentrated dose of watching Jason Momoa in action I'm pretty psyched to see him as Conan. I really LIKE his fighting style, but I haven't been able to figure out what style/styles he's trained in. It's very physical, based on power and agility, and Momoa in general, IMHO, does the whole Howard "barbarism is the natural state of humanity" thing naturally.

Momoa brought everything he was taught during the Atlantis run by James "Bam Bam" Bamford and friends, then went to a Stunt and Martial Arts school in LA for a month and a half or so and topped that off with continuing work with David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, so that's a hell of a group of people there teaching you how to fight and look good doing it.

I like the vibe I get off this trailer. I'd say this is going to be a rockstar movie, heh. Much like Jason Statham, he doesn't really have a style, but you most likely wouldn't want to lock up and throw down with the guy, heh.

~Rex

Momoa brought everything he was taught during the Atlantis run by James "Bam Bam" Bamford and friends, then went to a Stunt and Martial Arts school in LA for a month and a half or so and topped that off with continuing work with David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, so that's a hell of a group of people there teaching you how to fight and look good doing it.

I like the vibe I get off this trailer. I'd say this is going to be a rockstar movie, heh. Much like Jason Statham, he doesn't really have a style, but you most likely wouldn't want to lock up and throw down with the guy, heh.

~Rex

I knew about his time working with with Bam Bam on Atlantis, thanks for filling me in on the rest.

And yeah, I wouldn't want to throw down with him.

I was kinda semi-hoping that some of his techniques came from Lua, based on his Hawaiian background. It being one of the few martial arts I KNOW I wouldn't recognize on sight :)

I was kinda semi-hoping that some of his techniques came from Lua, based on his Hawaiian background. It being one of the few martial arts I KNOW I wouldn't recognize on sight :)

Lua is extremely rare even in a state brimming with martial arts instruction passed down from thousands of Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino plantation worker immigrants. We have multigenerational judo, aikido, karate, kung fu, and escrima schools, as well as some big MMA names like Gracie, Inoue, and Penn. Lua is really kept on the down low--you won't find it in the phone book. Even if Momoa had been taught Lua, he wouldn't openly use it on camera.

My own current martial art love of Kajukenbo has Hawaiian roots in a few ways. Lua though.....that's like uber secret stuff. You can trip over EVERYTHING down there like Old Man said.....but Lua....it's allergic to the light of day, heh. You can find it though if you really want to. Few places out there but you really got to weed for it.

http://www.olohe.com/ For example.

~Rex

I have only one concern about this movie. Too much real magic. My favorite Conan stuff was always the stuff where the "Demon Monster" turned out to be a giant ape, a colossal spider, or an alligator the size of a small house.