Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

The problem I have with 3-D' date=' aside from it being needless and usually just used to show off "Hey, we did this in 3D!!!2111!11111!111!", is that it strains the eyes to watch. It's still a 2-D surface, your eyes are still *actually* focused on the screen. Add to that the fact that you still need special polarized lenses to see the effect.. just not worth it.[/quote']

Not to mention the headaches. When Avatar came out, I was hoping the new 3D would fix this problem for me but no such luck. Half an hour into the film and I had a splitting migraine. Last I read, 3D does this to about 10% of the population.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the headaches. When Avatar came out' date=' I was hoping the new 3D would fix this problem for me but no such luck. Half an hour into the film and I had a splitting migraine. Last I read, 3D does this to about 10% of the population.[/quote']

Sadly, I'm part of the small percentage of people who get motion sickness from shakeycam. I feel your pain. So often this stuff is put into movies because the directors think they need a gimmick rather than to actually serve the story. I guess the extra audience they get from the flashy stuff makes up for the folks fleeing the theater, crying and hurling...

Aside from the nature panorama or roller coaster films that only exist to showcase 3D technology, I rarely see any improvement to live-action scenes rendered in 3-D. Some of the computer-generated 3D stuff is worth something, though possibly still less than $5/experience.

Sadly, I'm part of the small percentage of people who get motion sickness from shakeycam. I feel your pain. So often this stuff is put into movies because the directors think they need a gimmick rather than to actually serve the story. I guess the extra audience they get from the flashy stuff makes up for the folks fleeing the theater, crying and hurling...

Aside from the nature panorama or roller coaster films that only exist to showcase 3D technology, I rarely see any improvement to live-action scenes rendered in 3-D. Some of the computer-generated 3D stuff is worth something, though possibly still less than $5/experience.

You really don't want to get me started on shakycam... :tonguewav:bmk:

Shakey cam annoys the hell out of me, ESPECIALLY in my Action and Martial Arts movies. I like to see it kept to the minimum use possible. There's been a few times when I think it's been worth it, but for the most part, it's just annoying. Like the 3D, heh.

Conan though, I can't really see benifiting from 3D. I could see a 3D movie for something High Fantasy and Epic, for a gritty Pulp Style movie, I don't see 3D working well (Though I think, one could make a case for a Doc Svage flick in 3D)....Same for the Shakey Cam. When you look at Conan, that's just not Conan's Atmosphere (though maybe a touch of Shakey Cam in a scene where someone jumps off a horse onto another dudes head or something...*shrug*)

The 3D though, what's it gonna add? Sure there's some nice scenery, but mostly, it's Conan. A Couple of movies like "My Bloody Valentine 3D" Actually made Fantastic Use of the 3D effect, Yet, that's just a schlock Horror flick (but a fun one, heh). What could 3D add to this film is what I'm wondering. Clash of the Titans use of 3D was, worthless really, but stuff like Coraline is actually weaker without the 3D.

So I'm curious, but if there is a 2D version available, I'm saving the extra 3 bucks from now on and using that to snag a hotdog or two.

~Rex

Nah I got the club card. I also get the Ginormous Ultra Gulp size soda for like 3 bucks. Just got to get in on those deals when they pop up in the theaters if you go to as many movies as I do, they pay off fairly quick.

~Rex

5 to 6 bucks here for the local place during the day, couple more at night. nice theater to and sometimes I run up to the iPic which is twice as much, but I get Beer and it's Rugrat Free after 7PM and is a cool place to boot.

Mostly though, just at my local place. I go to the movies pretty much every week. and it still costs me less then paying for Cable.

~Rex....watch for the Will Rogers deals, they always make the concession stand affordable. Got a 44 oz cup that refills for 3 bucks, and a popcorn bucket that's roughly a large that does the same.

Conan though, I can't really see benifiting from 3D. I could see a 3D movie for something High Fantasy and Epic, for a gritty Pulp Style movie, I don't see 3D working well (Though I think, one could make a case for a Doc Svage flick in 3D)....Same for the Shakey Cam. When you look at Conan, that's just not Conan's Atmosphere (though maybe a touch of Shakey Cam in a scene where someone jumps off a horse onto another dudes head or something...*shrug*)

The 3D though, what's it gonna add? Sure there's some nice scenery, but mostly, it's Conan. A Couple of movies like "My Bloody Valentine 3D" Actually made Fantastic Use of the 3D effect, Yet, that's just a schlock Horror flick (but a fun one, heh). What could 3D add to this film is what I'm wondering. Clash of the Titans use of 3D was, worthless really, but stuff like Coraline is actually weaker without the 3D.

~Rex

I don't know. I kind of like the idea of Conan cleaving some guy's head off and momentarily having it appear as though the head were going to land in my lap.

I don't know. I kind of like the idea of Conan cleaving some guy's head off and momentarily having it appear as though the head were going to land in my lap.

That's not my idea of getting head...........what?

http://www.conan.com/

Always a good spot to poke around for Conan stuff. Apparently the movie is going to spin off a bunch of content for the MMO as well to skew that thing even further from true north so to speak, heh.

Was looking at a lot of the set pictures, and a few of the other leaked things again. I dig the look, enough so to root out all the books and read them again, which has reminded me just how great a writer Robert E. Howard actually was, especially in terms of description. Judging by some of the set pic's and such I suppose the 3D could add a LOT of depth, so I may shell out the extra three bucks for it. One nice thing though is that Lionsgate rebooted the Title of the movie again so it's back to being Conan the Barbarian instead of Conan 3D. Most likely a good move on their part.

~Rex

http://www.conan.com/

Always a good spot to poke around for Conan stuff. Apparently the movie is going to spin off a bunch of content for the MMO as well to skew that thing even further from true north so to speak, heh.

Was looking at a lot of the set pictures, and a few of the other leaked things again. I dig the look, enough so to root out all the books and read them again, which has reminded me just how great a writer Robert E. Howard actually was, especially in terms of description. Judging by some of the set pic's and such I suppose the 3D could add a LOT of depth, so I may shell out the extra three bucks for it. One nice thing though is that Lionsgate rebooted the Title of the movie again so it's back to being Conan the Barbarian instead of Conan 3D. Most likely a good move on their part.

~Rex

I never liked that site. It just shoots you to a facebook page when you try to click about Conan 2011. I hate facebook as the most useless non-collection of information I have ever seen.

But onward. http://www.conanmovieblog.com/conan-set-pictures/ this site actually has some pics. I do like several of the pics, but there is just not enough context.

Like you I re-read several of the REH Conan stories I have books for. I really enjoyed them. From an age where it was actually permissible to write an adventure story with out a lot of lame idjits turning it into a political rant. Sometimes an adventure story is just an adventure story.

But I am waiting for this one. With my possible good movie list rapidly shrinking as they air trailers (the death of Green Hornet being more painful than the destruction of Green Lantern or Thor) I am currently left with Captain America and Conan :(

I'm still not sure why foks have Thor Hate.....Looks like the comics to me and I have All the comics for the most part.

The Conan movie blog site I've linked to a few times so far it is by far the best way to keep track of the movie itself. The last one was more because i didn't think I had it posted yet. Some folks dig the face book stuff so I tossed it out there.

Last Green Hornet trailer definitly irked me, thinking of renting a bus and collecting a bunch of Green Hornet fans to go hunt down Seth Rogen and has a beating....err meeting with the gentleman.

Cap and Conan though are both looking top notch (And Thor in my book but they could have done better for a trailer the last one was kinda all over the place). Some of the other picture visuals for the Conan movie match up well with the descriptions in the REH stories so I'm stoked for Conan. Besides. Stephen Lang as the Badguy always works at least for some level of entertainment even if the rest of the flick ends up turding out.

~Rex

I'm still not sure why foks have Thor Hate.....Looks like the comics to me and I have All the comics for the most part.

~Rex

It’s not Thor hate. It is WTF for how they have turned Asgard into a shiney marble greco-looking brothel effect. All they need is some throw cushions, gauzy curtains and a few satyrs for the effect to be complete. I don’t have the entire run of Thor from back then, but I do have several issues. Some with Odin on his throne. Yes they had the High techyness in there. And yes the distance shot of Asgard was future looking. But inside they always managed to contrast the high-tech with the rough Norse primitive. I have a great picture with Odin on his throne pondering. The throne looks like it was hewn out of granite and there is a open fire pit. Behind are things that could be high tech. A striking visual. But nowhere was there a glitzy polished marble love palace.

My personnel opinion is the pass/fail of Thor will depend on the ratio of scenes on earth (the good) to in Asgard (the c**p). Hopefully most of the Asgard stuff will fall to the cutting room floor.

As for Green Hornet. I just read my pulp and the new GH comic series and make believe the abortion is not true.

I totally agree Captain America and Conan look great so far. But after seeing how they are intently butchering Green Horner, Green Lantern and Thor, I am less than hopeful.

I really really really hope I am completely wrong about T, GH and GL. But experience supports the idea I will be right. I just hope the massive failures and revenue loss barreling down the track will not scare the Follywood exec’s enough to end the Comic adaptation run we have been having.

Well we can at least agree on the Conan hope.....the Thor stuff...Looks like my old comics so I can't gripe yet. If the movie turns out to be Elektra part 2, well, then it's on! heh.....

Last Green Hornet Trailer actually nauseated me, but I have a glimmer of hope yet. As for Green Lantern, it was dead to me when they cast Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. *sigh*

This Conan flick certainly looks like it's at least heading the right direction. I was a little at odds with Jason Momoa at first, but I can actually see Conan there now when I look, certainly more so then either Ah-nold or Moeller.....From the looks of the various sites, it seems they are even going to get the eye color right, heh.

The rest they say is actually in the finished product.

~Rex

It’s not Thor hate. It is WTF for how they have turned Asgard into a shiney marble greco-looking brothel effect. All they need is some throw cushions' date=' gauzy curtains and a few satyrs for the effect to be complete. I don’t have the entire run of Thor from back then, but I do have several issues. Some with Odin on his throne. Yes they had the High techyness in there. And yes the distance shot of Asgard was future looking. But inside they always managed to contrast the high-tech with the rough Norse primitive. I have a great picture with Odin on his throne pondering. The throne looks like it was hewn out of granite and there is a open fire pit. Behind are things that could be high tech. A striking visual. But nowhere was there a glitzy polished marble love palace. [/quote']

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and figure that it's a case of some things work better in artwork than they do in photo/film. It may be they found that they couldn't get wood and hewn stone to not look fake against the shiny props, or that the wood and stone made the tech look like plastic.

Well we can at least agree on the Conan hope.....the Thor stuff...Looks like my old comics so I can't gripe yet. If the movie turns out to be Elektra part 2, well, then it's on! heh.....

Last Green Hornet Trailer actually nauseated me, but I have a glimmer of hope yet. As for Green Lantern, it was dead to me when they cast Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. *sigh*

--snip--

~Rex

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and figure that it's a case of some things work better in artwork than they do in photo/film. It may be they found that they couldn't get wood and hewn stone to not look fake against the shiny props' date=' or that the wood and stone made the tech look like plastic.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong. I am 1000% in hope you are right. Thor is one of my favorite characters.

But I would much rather expect nothing and have a wonderful surprise than nurse along a glimmer of hope and be sucker punched in the nads :nonp:

The Conan movie blog site I've linked to a few times so far it is by far the best way to keep track of the movie itself. The last one was more because i didn't think I had it posted yet. Some folks dig the face book stuff so I tossed it out there.

Last Green Hornet trailer definitly irked me, thinking of renting a bus and collecting a bunch of Green Hornet fans to go hunt down Seth Rogen and has a beating....err meeting with the gentleman.

Cap and Conan though are both looking top notch (And Thor in my book but they could have done better for a trailer the last one was kinda all over the place). Some of the other picture visuals for the Conan movie match up well with the descriptions in the REH stories so I'm stoked for Conan. Besides. Stephen Lang as the Badguy always works at least for some level of entertainment even if the rest of the flick ends up turding out.

~Rex

I gotta get a seat on that bus!

This is one of those "does not translate from one medium to another" issues. Comics can sometimes make the stylistically ridiculous look cool. But when you make a live action film and religiously stick to the comic look, you often get aesthetically ridiculous or inappropriate results. Yellow and blue spandex may look cool in a printed comic, but there's a reason the X-Men films dropped that in favor of black leather. Indeed, almost all comic book heroines will look like latex fetish models if you go with their costumes on screen. That may have a certain prurient verve, but its hard to take seriously. And, Adam West's Batman suit was loyal to the comics at the time. That was not, necessarily, a good idea. The Asgard pics I've seen, as well as the costumes, make it look like an art-deco bordello filled with people dressed in foam rubber and shoulder-pads-of-doom chic. I loved the Thor comics back when I was actually reading them (almost 20 years ago), but let's face it, as a live action costume his big booty flares and football season shoulders are a bit silly.

Yeah but that's the thing with Thor. One way or another it's Always been 4th World level over the top. So running along those lines, not much of a problem for me.

Now Conan though, that should be a no brainer. REH's descriptions of anything really are second to no writer. That guy could impart more imaginative visual presentation in a paragraph then what many modern writers do, in a 700 page novel. So Thor stuff aside, I have to say the Look for this current Conan flick is rolling along in a nice consistant fashion that synchs up well with the written material.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A lot more stuff just leaked out over on the Conan the Movie Blog and a few other places. We finally have a Movie Site as well now. A lot of these new pictures and such are downright awesome for how they actually LOOK, like a lot of the old Conan Art and descriptive REH elements.

For the movie site one goes here...... http://www.conanthebarbarianin3d.com/

And of course for all the other Pic's, they can be googled or you hop over to Conan the Movie Blog and follow the links to all the EW stuff and other goodness. A Lot of those pictures, especially the ones with Mamoa running around in different outfits and piecemeal armor and such, really sharp stuff. Even though they are going to do a 3D push for this I think the flick will be worth it in the end if they actually follow the shooting rules for 3D that only a handful of directors actually seem familier with (Patrick Lussier for example)....

Lookin good. I expect to see the full trailer not to far off in the future. I think they are just biding time a bit so they don't have to be a face in the crowd and can Stand on the Skulls of Crushed and vanquished enemies and Conan should do....

~Rex