Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

You have one Sorceress, who does, minor icky magic sacrifice stuff, and "poof: Here fight minions!". I wouldn't even put her at the Thoth Amon level; and the giant apes were beyond nasty in the REH material. There is Real Magic in Conan, he hacks it up if he can he runs from it when he can't. :D

If you had "real" magic ruing around, flashy icky hihg fantasy garbage, you wouldn't need a Siege Engine riding around on the backs of eight or so elephants. :D

~Rex.....points a finger at the Giant Octopus thingie......OCTO-AWESOME!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO "magic" in most fantasy is really just an excuse to allow for colorful stuff we wouldn't get in the real world. Giant apes, giant snakes, demon-spawned beasts, and the like that we get in Conan stories are "magical" enough to keep me entertained. :)

Most magic in Conan was of the monster summoning variety, or a form of mental domination. Almost no flashy "fireballs" and the like. In People of the Black Circle (IIRC), the magic included the magician being able to destroy a door with a touch and flatten a man with a mere slap. So having magic in a Conan movie isn't an issue IMO.

Heck, in the Tower of the Elephant Conan met an extra-dimensional being and in the Hour of the Dragon he was in the pits under the sorcerer's castle where he encountering *something* Howard didn't even try to describe (and since it was too dark to see, Conan couldn't see it...) but implied it was from outside normal space and time. And Howard, IIRC, felt Conan's world was part of the Lovecraftian mythos.

Shame he met his end the way he did. Would have been more amazing pieces to read for sure. One thing at least for the Lovecraft material. Everyone in the Lovecraft circle, seemed to stay true to the format and the foundation where as the Conan pastiche material tended to run (with a few exceptions here and there), more like the lines of Bad Fan Fic.....

~Rex....trying to find a single pick of that Siege Engine....Give it to me Interwebz!

Still waiting for Surbrook there to give us some Sailor Steve Costigan write ups. :D Now there is a movie that could be made, heh.

~Rex

I'm waiting to see if Del Rey does that as their next collection.

Now I know I've overdosed on the CU. When I first read that' date=' I thought to myself "But Grond isn't a siege engine." Then I realised what you were talking about. :confused:[/quote']

Well... he could be.

Very true that, heh.

~Rex.....says the Elephant Siege Engine is still cooler looking, because in Hyboria, you don't have to deal with pansy Elves nor their Legion of Fans. :D

Uhm... I hate to burst your bubble, but Tolkien's elves were anything but "pansy Elves." Remember -- a single Middle Earth elf fought and killed a balrog. Compared to them, old-school D&D and AD&D 1E and 2E elves were the pansies.

Poul Anderson's Elves were anything but Pansy Elves. The Elves of pure Norse epics, were anything but Pansy Elves. Anything that generates legions of fanboys sitting around their computer screen and babbling at each other in "elvish" ranks right up there with the Klingon Horde.....I got's no love for. I know in the literature :D but I also know the fanboys, heh....

Besides, Ecthelion of the Fountain the elves of the Tolkein fandom fantasies and fan fic writers and movies are most certainly not, heh.

~Rex....REH Fanboys > Tolkein Fanboys.....when our Bubbles Burst, we Slay and are Content. Elves just snivel and bemoan their non matching wardrobe.

Poul Anderson's Elves were anything but Pansy Elves.

At least the ones in The Broken Sword.

The Elves of pure Norse epics' date=' were anything but Pansy Elves.[/quote']

Except, weren't Norse "elves" more like modern fantasy dwarves? (I'm not 100% sure myself.)

Also, you've missed the Irish sidhe. Few... for "fairies" they were pretty brutal warriors and powerful as all get-out magicians.

Anything that generates legions of fanboys sitting around their computer screen and babbling at each other in "elvish" ranks right up there with the Klingon Horde.....I got's no love for. I know in the literature :D but I also know the fanboys' date=' heh....[/quote']

Then I can only presume you also despise Star Wars, Star Trek, and a host of other universes?

Besides, Ecthelion of the Fountain the elves of the Tolkein fandom fantasies and fan fic writers and movies are most certainly not, heh.

~Rex....REH Fanboys > Tolkein Fanboys.....when our Bubbles Burst, we Slay and are Content. Elves just snivel and bemoan their non matching wardrobe.

Surfing down stairs on his shield aside, the Peter M Jackson Legolas was pretty bad-ass. I mean, he never misses a shot, hit wolves and riders at hundreds of yards, and single-handledly takes down a Mûmakil. So really, Rex, give some credit where it's due, "fanboys" or not. REH and Conan isn't the end-all of heroic fantasy, y'know.

NEVER!

Though I will say I wish that Elves in general were more of the Tolkein caste and less of what gaming has evolved them into. You get some crossing between the Elves and Dwarves in the Norse stuff depending on how far back you go, region, language and dialect. It's all in good fun.

I'd actually be curious to speculate as to what REH would have put down as an Elf. That would be an interesting project, heh.

As for Fanboys......Can't stand them, but I think the Star Wars crowd has a sligtly more consistant bent then the Trek crowd does.

I also divide my Fairie up fairly well, heh. My Fantasy setting is pretty much what one would expect if you were to say, pit Everything folks like REH, Karl Edward Wagner, Glenn Cook and Tanith Lee ever came up with, led by the likes of Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, One Eye, Sivesh and so on, against more "magic" orientated stuff on the other hand, heavy in Tolkein epic-ness blended in with a lot of the stuff you used to see in Vardeman novels and stuff like the Kenneth C. Flint Sidhe and Finn MacCunhal material and tie that together with some Anderson Broken Sword here and there.......then turn it all loose.

So I give Tolkein his props....but I stand with one foot in Vanaheim and the other in Cimmeria. :D

~Rex