Unique Bow Talents

JohnTaber

Hi Hero Lovers: In my current FH campaign one of the characters is a super archer. He has levels, etc but he wants to get some unique bow talents with EP. In my campaign I encourage players to come up with new talents for their PC so this is not an unusual request.

Here is one that he has now...

Arrow Pin: Entangle 2d6, 1 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks) (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), OAF (Bow and Arrow; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Must target a single hit location; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Only to pin targeted object to ground or wall (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

How about some other ideas? :)

Re: Unique Bow Talents

Seems to me that could be used as a very effective PRE attack bonus, say +2-4d6 (Requires a Skill Roll to just barely miss a target, or to target clothing or similar).

How about these?

Ricochet Strike - -1 DC & -1 OCV per ricochet. Adds Indirect. Each ricochet reduces damage and makes the shot harder, but this allows for striking targets otherwise difficult or impossible to hit. Archer must show the path of the arrow on the map (if you're using one).

Multi-shot - Fire more than one arrow per shot (2-3 max). Adds Autofire to attack. -1 OCV per extra arrow, maybe?

For an extreme possibility - Missile deflection (thrown, arrows, and the like). Only usable with a held action and a PER roll to spot the incoming object. Not against large missiles.

Zen Archery - Attack does not require visual perception of the target. Detect Target, Unusual Group, Sense, Passive, 360 Arc, Ranged, Targeting, Partially Penetrative (through any barrier the arrow can pass through), Discriminatory (Friend vs. Foe), only while unable to see (eyes closed counts). While the power rests in the character, a Focus limitation would be appropriate (OAF, any bow/arrow).

I like the suggestions Folded provided - they're pretty good.

How about a Ranged Trip - TK or stretching, only to perform the Trip.

The video game Thief had some cool arrows in it. These weren't so much talents but physical items you could buy and use, but they might be good food for thought:

Water Arrow - put out torches and lamps. Buy as a dispel to images, limit to those that can be doused by water.

Moss Arrow - soft moss on the ground to deaden the sound of footsteps. Buy as a change environment

Gas Arrow - puts out a cloud of sleeping gas - 1 hex (2m) NND blast, all or nothing

Rope Arrow - provides a rope for climbing

Fire Arrow - exploded on target

There might have been others, it's been a long time since I played that game.

I LOVE the ideas from Folded and the Trip. I do NOT want custom trick arrows. These have to be trick shots instead. ;)

The player brought up a nerve pinch that I also think might be fun. I was thinkin' of plusses to the Stun Mod with OCV penalties. The special effect is targeting a nerve. ;)

Nice gents! Anymore? :)

That Ricochet Strike can already be done using the optional rules for Bouncing An Attack provided in FRED pg 377 (sorry, don't have my 6E books yet.) Don't know if you want to make him pay for it (besides the CSLs) or not though.

Ranged Martial Arts maneuvers might be good, as H-M mentioned, I believe it also contains a ranged disarm which could be fun. I feel like your player is looking for more ideas along the lines of the Entangle that you mentioned in your first post.

As more of a support power, I always liked when archers or other ranged fighters used their projectiles to provide a climbable surface for themselves and allies (a la The Blue Raja.) I'm not sure the best way to build this, but Transform (Non-climbable to climbable surface) would probably be most appropriate, that way the climbing character would have to rely on his own Climbing roll for speed of ascent. Another option might be Clinging, Usable On Others.

You could buy a Naked Autofire (I suggest Autofire 3, but 5 would work too) to simulate shooting multiple arrows at once.

Hey guys...I came up with these...

8 Multishot!: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (44 Active Points); STR Minimum 18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (Bow and Arrows; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Attacker must take -2 OCV for each shot after the first; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) 3

8 Ricochet Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2) (44 Active Points); STR Minimum 18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (Bow and Arrows; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-5 OCV for shot; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Attacks Must Still Pass From The Attacker To The Target (-1/4) 3

8 Nerve Strike: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), +3 Increased STUN Multiplier (+3/4) (40 Active Points); STR Minimum 18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (Bow and Arrows; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-5 OCV for shot; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) 3

6 Shoot Projectile Out Of The Air: Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.), Full Range (+1) (20 Active Points); OAF (Bow and Arrow; -1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4) 4

6 Arrow Trip: Stretching 6", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (Bow and Arrow; -1), Only To Use Trip Manuever On Man Sized Targets Or Smaller (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Instant (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-5 OCV on shot; -1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4) 3

Some ideas:

Quickshot: +4 Lightning Reflexes (12 active)

Only while Using a Bow (-1/2) Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2) Only to increase Initiative (-1)

4 real points. -1 to Skill Roll.

This Talent allows the archer to draw and fire an arrow faster than his/her opponent can react to it. The skill roll required is Fast Draw. The successful Fast Draw roll turns the act of firing the bow from a full phase action (1/2 phase to draw arrow, 1/2 phase to fire arrow) to a 1/2 phase action (0 phase to draw the arrow, 1/2 phase to fire) and will do so at 4 initiative points higher than his/her natural DEX. This Talent is great for getting the drop on charging warriors who think because you don't have an arrow drawn that the archer is dead meat.

Note: The costing in 6th edition is likely to be different. Adjust accordingly.

Penetrating Shot: Naked Advantage: Area of Effect: Line, non-selective (+3/4) for up to 30 Active Points (23)

Full Phase +1 Segment (-3/4) x2 End (-1/2) OAF (-1) Blocked by solid cover of Def 4 or more (-1/4)

7 Real points. 5 End.

This Talent allows the archer to draw upon the strength of his bow to the utmost to impart a massive amount of kinetic energy to the arrow. Once fired, the arrow will travel to its normal range limit. If the arrow impacts a target, it will then "pierce" that target and continue on to the next object/individual in a straight line. This technique has been known to pierce and kill a dozen enemies with a single shot.

Mechanics notes: The arrow has its normal range. Once the arrow hits a target, the AoE-Line is calculated from that point. The arrow will then hit, do its damage and pass through the first target and continue on to the next in a straight line. This will continue until the arrow travels 6" or 12 meters, at which point it will "stick" into the target in the last hex or bury itself into the ground. The attack is non-selective, so a seperate to-hit roll must be made against each and every target in the area of effect. That particular Talent can be devastating when used against a large group of enemies such as massed armies or large groups of individuals trapped in a narrow corridor.

Dead-Eye: +4 Penalty Skill Levels vs hit location penalties (12)

OAF (-1) Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2) Concentation 1/2DCV (-1/4)

Real Cost: 4pts. Skill Roll: -1

With this Talent, the archer becomes a dead-shot with hits arrows, able to pick out the smallest of targets and hit them with near impunity. The skill roll required for this Talent is a Perception roll. The archer must stop, draw his arrow, take aim, take a deep breath and hold it for a fraction of a second. In that fraction, his vision begins to narrow, focusing only on the oject of desire, then loosing the arrow upon said target and exhaling simultaneously. A master of this technique (one with +8 vs Hit Location Penalties) can unerringly hit his target in the eye without fail with every shot.

Thats all for now. Will be back later with more Talents.

3 striking appearance (plays the base string) +1d6

Some ideas:

[

Penetrating Shot: Naked Advantage: Area of Effect: Line, non-selective (+3/4) for up to 30 Active Points (23)

Full Phase +1 Segment (-3/4) x2 End (-1/2) OAF (-1) Blocked by solid cover of Def 4 or more (-1/4)

7 Real points. 5 End.

This Talent allows the archer to draw upon the strength of his bow to the utmost to impart a massive amount of kinetic energy to the arrow. Once fired, the arrow will travel to its normal range limit. If the arrow impacts a target, it will then "pierce" that target and continue on to the next object/individual in a straight line. This technique has been known to pierce and kill a dozen enemies with a single shot.

Mechanics notes: The arrow has its normal range. Once the arrow hits a target, the AoE-Line is calculated from that point. The arrow will then hit, do its damage and pass through the first target and continue on to the next in a straight line. This will continue until the arrow travels 6" or 12 meters, at which point it will "stick" into the target in the last hex or bury itself into the ground. The attack is non-selective, so a seperate to-hit roll must be made against each and every target in the area of effect. That particular Talent can be devastating when used against a large group of enemies such as massed armies or large groups of individuals trapped in a narrow corridor.

on a lesser note,

an archer could take a sure shot

where if the arrow misses the first target,

it could still hit the target behind it.

Penetrating(+1/2) area line non selective(what ever levels of area you want) always away from shooter(-1/4

the shot that just plows through multiple targets

this is an 888lb bow it shoots through schools

Delicate art of the Draw:

+4 Str

Only for using Bows -11/2, No Figured Char -1/2

Cost: 1, End: 1

Counter-Archery:

Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, etc.)

OAF: Bow -1, Req. 2 Hands -1/2, Not against hvy missiles -1/4, req. skill Fastdraw (-2 to skill) unless an arrow is nocked -1/4

Cost: 7, End: 0

Precision Shot:

Find Weakness 13- with bows

Not against natural armor -1, Full Phase -1/2

Cost: 8, End: 0

you'd have to change these for 6e

6e doesn't have figured characteristics

no Find Weakness in 6e

Considering that the original poster gave an example build with Entangle and the Cannot Form Barriers Limitation it's pretty clear that he isn't using 6e so 5e examples should be fine.