Convertiong 5e FH to 6e FH

Michael Hopcroft

One thing I haven't done a lot of yet, which I feel really bad about, is convert some of those 5e characters I've created and posted over the years to 6e. With the new Fantasy HERO the temptation to take some time to do it becomes even stronger.

Anyone have any ideas on tweaking 5e Fantasy Hero characters in particular to be as effective in 6e, and how much point inflation is required.

Re: Convertiong 5e FH to 6e FH

I really don't think there is a reason a straight port of a 5e character to 6e would not be just as effective. Most will suffer some point inflation from the decoupling of Characteristics, but the other semi-major changes (the loss of the Independent Limitation, for example), affect items that a typical FH character doesn't actually pay points for.

Magic is a possible exception - if you used an EC to simulate a Magic Pool, then the change to Unified Power will add a few points.

I really don't think there is a reason a straight port of a 5e character to 6e would not be just as effective. Most will suffer some point inflation from the decoupling of Characteristics, but the other semi-major changes (the loss of the Independent Limitation, for example), affect items that a typical FH character doesn't actually pay points for.

Magic is a possible exception - if you used an EC to simulate a Magic Pool, then the change to Unified Power will add a few points.

Depending on spells, if you have an EC and a bunch of little spells that you paid full points for you might actually save some points by using unified power. We allow the use of all frameworks, so spell costs didn't change that much. Also take a look though 6e FH to get more ideas for building spells (it has a couple of options that appeared in the APC that are nice Limitations)

5e characters will be around 25 points more expensive (more if the character is a Str/Con based character). Again due to the decoupling of figureds. All of the primaries are now 1 point each, so those stats don't push the point total up sky high. We also allowed players to sell of their OMCV which gives an additional 6points to buy stuff. I found that overall that 6e characters are slightly Less powerful than 5e (compairing 150pt 5e character to a converted 175pt 6e).

i actually noticed some streamlining (point savings) due to new powers, vpp options and fig decoupling when i updated my versions of superman and captain marvel.

I was already using the Unified Power Limitation (by a different name*) in the 5e versions.

*Affected by Adjustment Powers as an EC.

Hi Michael: My group will be going through this transition soon. In 5e the characters are 135 pts with roughly 30 EP each (165 pts total). I converted them all directly into 6e with NO adjustments and got the following:

Bilby = 197

Cillian = 188

Kanga = 199

Po = 199

That is the inflation for my group as an FYI. My thought right now is to have them rebalance at 200 pts.

Anywho...some data pts...

We noticed about a 20-25 point difference in values in our Fantasy Hero game, but that probably had more to do with the rebalancing of OCV/DCV vs. DEX. If you converted all characters straight, with the OCV/DCV they get from their 5E DEX scores, then you come out considerably higher than that.

I anticipate the big shift is with Figured characteristics.

Asuming the typical character had an 18 DEX, a 15 CON and a 15 STR, cost 24 + 10 + 5 = 39 in 5e, the cost of maintaining everything that gave them in 6e is:

16 (+8 DEX) + 8 (+0.8 SPD) + 15 (+3 OCV) + 15 (+3 DCV) = 54 for DEX

5 (+5 STR) + 1 (+1 meter Leap) + 1 (+1 PD) + 1 (+1 REC) + 1.5 (+3 STUN) = 9.5 for STR

5 (+5 CON) + 1 (+1 ED) + 1 (+1 REC) + 1.5 (+3 STUN) + 2 (+10 END) = 10.5 for CON

So 74 points

As you can see, the big one is DEX, so the higher your game's average DEX, the bigger the change will be.

Given John Taber's figures, I'm guessing DEX was typically lower (and I picked a pretty high base DEX).

In 5E, the "average character" (to use your example) might take an 18 DEX. Is he an olympic gymnast? No, he just wanted to go earlier in the Phase.

In 6E, he is encouraged to take Lightning Reflexes to reflect quicker reactions in combat. He probably only "needs" 13 DEX, so this saves him 5 points. This makes the second number 69 points, which hits the "+30" number bandied about earlier.

In addition, players are now encouraged to make hard decisions about where they're CV values should lie. This encourages more consideration of combat roles and such. Overall, a plus.

In 5E, the "average character" (to use your example) might take an 18 DEX. Is he an olympic gymnast? No, he just wanted to go earlier in the Phase.

In 6E, he is encouraged to take Lightning Reflexes to reflect quicker reactions in combat. He probably only "needs" 13 DEX, so this saves him 5 points. This makes the second number 69 points, which hits the "+30" number bandied about earlier.

Unless he wants +1 to his DEX skills...Not Acrobatics, or even Breakfall, necessarily. Riding, for example. Personally, I value the skill rolls much more than going earlier in the phase.

That "average character" in 5e took an 18 DEX because he wanted a 6 CV, and buying +1 OCV and +1 DCV for 6 points (after 3 back on Speed) is the cost-effective approach even if he never makes a DEX roll and doesn't care about first or last move.

Unless he wants +1 to his DEX skills...Not Acrobatics, or even Breakfall, necessarily. Riding, for example. Personally, I value the skill rolls much more than going earlier in the phase.

That "average character" in 5e took an 18 DEX because he wanted a 6 CV, and buying +1 OCV and +1 DCV for 6 points (after 3 back on Speed) is the cost-effective approach even if he never makes a DEX roll and doesn't care about first or last move.

They may start at 18 (first good breakpoint), but they went for 20 ASAP (+6 pts (DEX) - 2 pts (SPD) - 10 pts (+1 CV, figured at 5 pts per O & D). Then they went hunting for that 23, even at 6 pts/DEX since +18 (DEX) - 3 (SPD) - 10 (+1 CV) -5 (or more for +1 all DEX skills). The next jump would be to 29 DEX: +36 -6 -20 -5. Not as efficient, but not unreasonable at all. The frightening part is that I could double the "bonus" for DEX skill rolls on many characters reasonably, which made DEX the absolutely had to have skill for all character builds and also meant that the old cranky wizard was real good at whipping out the old sword (or just using his staff) to smash the crap out of goblins, orcs and most "elite veteran" human troops. I think I've seen that in a movie somewhere.......

It was more than worth the price in the short run for the "rogue" and "light fighter" types of characters (who cares if you cannot hit as hard as the big boys, you get more crits), the medium run for the "heavy fighter" and in the long run for the caster, unless you blew off or were really generous with the AP cap for spells.

I never saw the huge DEX jumps, especially into NCM territory, in large part for two reasons. First, there were other things the characters wanted to have. They weren't just tricked out combat machines. Second, there was a sense of reasonable restraint, and playing to the genre.

I did toy with the idea of a 30 DEX archer (90 points of his starting 150, but he gets a 4 SPD and 10 OCCV/DCV with it).

In any case, a reasonable analysis of the 5e stats and "figured's" quickly shows that DEX was by far the biggest bargain, despite STR being the one everyone looked at first. If your fantasy characters were in around 26 or 29 DEX, then the answer is to scale back to more heroic, and les superheroic, levels of DEX and CV to fit within the 6e build model.

What happens when all these characters have a base OCV and DCV of 10? The CV of the opponents rises to compensate. If everyone had OCV and DCV 5, I suggest they would hit, and be hit, just as often, as the opposition's CV's would scale back to a similar level. And everyone would have more points left over for other cool abilities that aren't the same as everybody else in the game.