How to Build: Flamethrower

tenebre

stemming from a conversation I set out to try to make a WWII flamethrower.

However, I am really lost on this one..

I am guessing it needs to be a line-RKA- with fire effect with charges. But i am not sure how to represent the liquid that sticks to things from the spray and the extreme combustibility of the backpack.

ideas?

Re: How to Build: Flamethrower

There was a (5e) writeup for a flamethrower in Dark Champions. It was written up as a multipower, with one slot to represent a normal flame attack and another to represent hosing down the area with fuel and then lighting it. The flammability of the fule tank was treated as a Side Effect (IIRC).

maybe something like this?

Flamethrower: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Constant (+1/2), Area Of Effect Nonselective (4m Line; +1/2), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (40 Active Points); 8 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 5 Minutes each which Never Recover (-1 1/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4) still not sure how to make it explosive (the tank that is as in an disadvantage)

its such an odd weapon. I really dont agree with the DC multipower write up, especially for the oldstyle flamethrowers, which were portable napalm sprayers at best.

Flamethrower: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Constant (+1/2), Area Of Effect Nonselective (4m Line; +1/2), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Canister explodes 2m d6 x charges in tank; -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), 8 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 5 Minutes each (Fuel is Difficult to obtain; +1/2)

In some games I'd be tempted just to write it up as a limited range Blast. AoE-like qualities can be achieved through spreading. In more realistic ones I suppose some form of Continuous+Uncontrolled or Damage Over Time would work, as well as the Continuous Charges options mentioned above. Still not sure Area of Effect is really needed; if you hit someone 4m away, likely you're not going to hit the person standing 3m behind them at the same time. But I can see AoE working as well (either Line or Accurate); different strokes for different folks and all that.

Flamethrower: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Activation roll: 17-, explodes (+0), Area Of Effect (12m Line; +1/4), Sticky (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), STR Minimum 14-18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/4), Side Effects (Can explode if damaged or if Activation roll is 18) (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; -3/4), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 12 Recoverable Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +1/4)

Activation Roll of 17-, blows up on 18 (Custom Mod., but +/- 0 and actually part of Side Effects)

Constant, Uncontrolled, Sticky, and the continuing charges: Catches target on fire and will burn for 1 turn unless put out, longer if stuff is flammable.

Just my $0.25 (two cents, adjusted for inflation.)

Here's mine, it's for a flamethrower mounted on a vehicle:

Turrerted/Sponson-Mounted Heavy Flamer: RKA 4d6, 60 Charges (+½), Area Of Effect (19" Cone; +1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (90 degrees; can fire in a 90 degree arc from straight ahead to right/left; -¼), Real Weapon (-¼) plus RKA 1d6, Uncontrolled (lasts until flammable material affected by RKA 4d6 is consumed, or a Full Phase is spent putting out the flames; +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Sticky (anyone or anything touching the target(s) also catches on fire; +½), Continuous (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Linked (RKA; -½), [60]

Charges can be recovered at a filling station.

Maybe not. Real flamethrowers use compressed gas (usually compressed air) to propel the fuel to target. Also most real flamethrowers use napalm (gasoline and/or flammable oil compounds with a gelling agent). A filling station may not have these items. Again this is for REAL flamethrowers, if it is a gadget it may just need gasoline (fuel commonly found) but then reduce the limitation value accordingly.

I think he meant a filling station for flame throwers not any generic gas station. The point is that the charges are recoverable' date=' you don't use a flamethrower once and throw it away...[/quote']

Still probably not "Recoverable" in game terms any more than bullets. Both require going and fetching more ammo

Real flamethrowers use compressed gas (usually compressed air) to propel the fuel to target. Also most real flamethrowers use napalm (gasoline and/or flammable oil compounds with a gelling agent). A filling station may not have these items. Again this is for REAL flamethrowers' date=' if it is a gadget it may just need gasoline (fuel commonly found) but then reduce the limitation value accordingly.[/quote']

They might not be at a gas station, but they aren't hard to come by. Gasoline can be thickened by dissolving Styrofoam or polystyrene soap (or even motor oil) in it. The propulsion gas can be compressed carbon dioxide or nitrogen. I'd describe all of them as commonly available.

Maybe not. Real flamethrowers use compressed gas (usually compressed air) to propel the fuel to target. Also most real flamethrowers use napalm (gasoline and/or flammable oil compounds with a gelling agent). A filling station may not have these items. Again this is for REAL flamethrowers' date=' if it is a gadget it may just need gasoline (fuel commonly found) but then reduce the limitation value accordingly.[/quote']

I think he meant a filling station for flame throwers not any generic gas station. The point is that the charges are recoverable' date=' you don't use a flamethrower once and throw it away...[/quote']This. The equipment gets expensive. Disposable equipment the military would frown on at the cost.

I was posting tired and didn't choose my wording best. When I said recoverable I didn't mean "Recoverable" the game mechanic. I think when one of the posts above used "Non-Recoverable Charges" I was thinking of Expendable (or whatever the term is) Charges where you permanently lose the item once used. Depending on the campaign, getting more flamethrower fuel may be just as easy as getting more regular ammunition (some military games for example) or extremely difficult (post-apocalyptic game where gasoline is rare and then you still have to modify it). For an average, modern campaign I might set it at one step harder to get than regular ammo but not much more than that.

Why not an END resereve' date=' and REC with a limitation? I believe that is how Blowtorch is built in 4th.[/quote']

So that Continuous Charges can be used, I think. Otherwise it's difficult to build something that'll keep affecting the target for a period of time. I suggested things like Damage Over Time above for anyone who doesn't want to build it using Charges. But then, most of the "realistic" weapon write-ups do use Charges, so that might be more in keeping with the other official builds.

So that Continuous Charges can be used' date=' I think. Otherwise it's difficult to build something that'll keep affecting the target for a period of time. [/quote']

That is probally why Blowtorch has a 200 end res (at least in fourth). Don't really see how it is more difficult, but that is me. BTW, I looked up the flamethrower in the original Gadgets book, and it is charges.