Hornet Conspiracy

Siberian Tiger

There's a 1960s "misunderstood" superhero called Hornet

There's a villain in CKC called Hornet

The leader of Mexico's VIPER nest is called The Hornet (El Crabajon or whatever it is - don't have my sourcebook with me at work).

Coincidence, conspiracy or cock-up (proof-readers) ?

Is there a story behind this ? What do you think ?

Originally posted by Steve Long

Maybe we can set up a whole team of insect-themed characters.

Hornet

The Hornet

Hornetman

Hornetwoman

Buzzy (aka Kid Hornet)

Several foreign Hornets named in their respective languages

Swarmdude

Stingman...

...and the list goes on. ;)

All Right!

Sounds like it is time to finally finish the "Hornet Hero" supplement that I was getting ready to pitch to you guys.

At first I thought that it might be considered "silly" by the uninformed masses.

But now that I see this kind of "buy in" from Steve Long himself . . .

Oh!

You were kidding . . .

Drat!

:D

KA

Originally posted by Steve Long

Maybe we can set up a whole team of insect-themed characters.

Hornet

The Hornet

Hornetman

Hornetwoman

Buzzy (aka Kid Hornet)

Several foreign Hornets named in their respective languages

Swarmdude

Stingman...

...and the list goes on. ;)

All good candidates for the Super Names thread along with

Captain Hornet

SuperHornet

Horny the Marvel Hornet

Man-Hornet

Bat-Hornet

Spider-Hornet

Black Hornet

Blue Hornet

Green Hornet (now that sounds familiar :)

Originally posted by Siberian Tiger

All good candidates for the Super Names thread along with

Captain Hornet

SuperHornet

Horny the Marvel Hornet

Man-Hornet

Bat-Hornet

Spider-Hornet

Black Hornet

Blue Hornet

Green Hornet (now that sounds familiar :)

:eek: Dude! You forgot the only one that would fit on your list that was actually real: The Brown... Hornet!! -echoes-

-shakes head- Dude...

Originally posted by Black Rose

:eek: Dude! You forgot the only one that would fit on your list that was actually real: The Brown... Hornet!! -echoes-

-shakes head- Dude...

Um..... excuse me? The Green Hornet was real. Well, a real character, I mean. Started as a radio show in the '30s, and became a television show in the '60s (even crossed over with the Batman show once). Had a very good comic series in the '80s. Now, for extra points, can anyone tell me how the Green Hornet is connected to the Lone Ranger (both in the real world, and in the story)?

Originally posted by GenreFiend

Um..... excuse me? The Green Hornet was real. Well, a real character, I mean. Started as a radio show in the '30s, and became a television show in the '60s (even crossed over with the Batman show once). Had a very good comic series in the '80s. Now, for extra points, can anyone tell me how the Green Hornet is connected to the Lone Ranger (both in the real world, and in the story)?

Not quite sure how they are in the real world [i think the actor who played Green Hornet might've also played the Lone Ranger] but I know how they're connected in the story. Unless I'm mistaken, the Lone Ranger is the Green Hornet's great grandfather.

There are two Thunderbolts in CKC for example. Without something as absurd as Aberrant's solution of a company that "legitimizes" names there realistically would be duplication.

Ok, no offence Emerged but I have to speak up on this one. The solution in Aberrant isn't "absurd" at all. Since Aberrant has groups like Project Utopia and those mercenary outfits that hire Novas and generally give them thier names in the first place, they naturally copyright them when they can in order to prevent people from using those names. The WWE does the same when they give a name to a character.

Just FYI. :D

Originally posted by Twilight

Ok, no offence Emerged but I have to speak up on this one. The solution in Aberrant isn't "absurd" at all. Since Aberrant has groups like Project Utopia and those mercenary outfits that hire Novas and generally give them thier names in the first place, they naturally copyright them when they can in order to prevent people from using those names. The WWE does the same when they give a name to a character.

Just FYI. :D

/humor on

I guess your FYI is my absurdity.

/humor off

Don't get me wrong, I borrowed liberally from Aberrant in my "NeoChampions Universe" (as in, "not-exactly-the-Champions Universe"). The term nova for example, works better than any other term for (people with abilities not present in humanity before the point at which these abilities began to appear, or at levels not present yada yada) I've seen to date.

However, the whole naming registry thing is one area they in my opinion dropped the ball -- a clear absurdity handed out as an olive branch to genre conventions, just as absurd as the Champion Universe's "registration act" (which I also consider a dropped ball).

Originally posted by TheEmerged

/humor on

I guess your FYI is my absurdity.

/humor off

Don't get me wrong, I borrowed liberally from Aberrant in my "NeoChampions Universe" (as in, "not-exactly-the-Champions Universe"). The term nova for example, works better than any other term for (people with abilities not present in humanity before the point at which these abilities began to appear, or at levels not present yada yada) I've seen to date.

However, the whole naming registry thing is one area they in my opinion dropped the ball -- a clear absurdity handed out as an olive branch to genre conventions, just as absurd as the Champion Universe's "registration act" (which I also consider a dropped ball).

But it's not name registery. It's simply copyrighting a unique image, much like Universal Studios has copyrighted the classic Frankenstein look, or how Disney has copyrighted thier characters. Just business.

Originally posted by Twilight

Not quite sure how they are in the real world [i think the actor who played Green Hornet might've also played the Lone Ranger] but I know how they're connected in the story. Unless I'm mistaken, the Lone Ranger is the Green Hornet's great grandfather.

Close. In the real world, both characters were created by the same producer/writer for the same radio network. In the story, the Lone Ranger's dead brother (can't remember his first name, but their last name was Reid), was the grandfather of Brit Reid, the original Green Hornet.