What do your super heroes wear?

Hermit

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by Brandi

Irving doesn't wear any costume at all. Or clothing, for that matter.

The city did fit him with some spiffy hats over the years, though...

img33.gif

Famous location, of course, I'm sure. I know I've been there, but which large eastern US city is it?

my character is a psuedo celebrity--as well as being an icon of truth and justice....

and like many of today's young, female, media icons, she chooses to parade around in next to nothing, inspiring people with her protruding breasts.....

attachment.php?s=&postid=144853

the truth be told, she's really a sweet girl, just a little confused....

Originally posted by loraxxx

my character is a psuedo celebrity--as well as being an icon of truth and justice....

and like many of today's young, female, media icons, she chooses to parade around in next to nothing, inspiring people with her protruding breasts.....

attachment.php?s=&postid=144853

the truth be told, she's really a sweet girl, just a little confused....

A sweet girl with a great Plastic Surgeon, she obviously got more umm saline solution between pics...

Originally posted by Starlord

I think the more important question is...Does your hero prefer his underwear on the outside or inside of his tights?

Which makes think, Starlord, i still wonder how your avatar's costume can stay in place with all this bouncy-bouncy thing ?

:D

My players, although in a Vigilante campaign came with the idea that only drag-queens and Spiderman could wear spandex bodysuits. So the team :

Blade (based on W. Snipes' character) : same as in the movie

Urban (based on Authority's Jack Hawksmoor) : regular suit.

Rico (south-amercian super-soldier) : military fatigues and gear

Blast (based on X-Man Bishop) : reinforced normal clothes, trenchcoat.

Full Moon (werewolf) :normal clothes in human ID, naked in "crinos" form.

Mayday's costume is a green tinted chainmail swimsuit piece with long gloves and thigh high boots. Green is her favorite color and goes well with her hair, and looking good makes her feel good and feel stronger, more capable.

Metallion wears RED, a full bodysuit of chainmail with a deep heart shaped V cleavage, and a giant metal cape. As a Magneto clone, she likes metal. As a 20 COM very vain blonde woman, she has it and is flaunting it. She has a flair for the dramatic and so RED. The cape is huge, and serves several purposes (being metal) but really exists because when picturs are taken, you see blonde, you see skin, and you see that red suit against a backdrop of the huge cape behind her, effectively blocking out any distrractions or other females, thus drawing more attention to her.

Shadow Cross wears basically Trinity-style outfits with silver or gunmetal studs. Considering her deeply injured psyche, the costume is what it is because she also is 20 COM and her husband/enemy hates seeing what he cant touch. Black and leather or latex are good for dark champions, which she is, and vengeful characters which she is. She wears a full form hugging bodysuit with full mask, the only visible part of her is a mane of silver hair reaching all the way down her spine, but its actually part of the suit, her hair is blonde. The silver hair is for effect, cause women dont look right without hair and she likes the wild and free S&M look of it overall.

"...that only drag queens and Spiderman can wear spandex body suits...."

i have never understood gamers who get all hi and mighty about not having their super-hero characters dress like super-heroes....

it's one thing if you're in a game where your characters are the first "supers," either to exist or of a new generation, but in games using the CU or the like, it just SILLY!!!--people have been doing it for years! capes and tights are THE NORM for super powered vigilantes, so much so that people are more likely to be upset about you NOT going out in colors...

....it's like deciding to be a street cop, but refusing to wear the uniform, or ride around in cool car with the flashing lights, but still running around shooting people....

it's one thing if you're in a game where your characters are the first "supers," either to exist or of a new generation, but in games using the CU or the like, it just SILLY!!!--people have been doing it for years! capes and tights are THE NORM for super powered vigilantes, so much so that people are more likely to be upset about you NOT going out in colors...

....it's like deciding to be a street cop, but refusing to wear the uniform, or ride around in cool car with the flashing lights, but still running around shooting people....

That's an interesting point. If I were average joe citizen in a world that had a registration act like the CU has, I'd probably be slightly concerned at someone doing super heroic stuff out of costume. It would be like breaking an unofficial rule, and make me more likely to complain about them breaking the official one.

I can see costumes becoming a sort of 'nod of respect' to the law. Some heroes might see it as a modern day compromise "I won't sign up on that silly registration act, but I WILL make it obvious I'm a super so folks are forewarned by wearing a costume."

i have never understood gamers who get all hi and mighty about not having their super-hero characters dress like super-heroes....

i don't agree myself with my players about this. but the fact is : i don't see why i should force them to dress in uniforms if they dont want to.

Actually their inspirations are coming more from the recent "super-heroes" movies where costumes are not really the norm ( X-Men I & II, Blade I & II, Batman) where actually dark leather suits is more important than colorful clothing

it's in the "Vigilante" attitude (so they say). And the campaign world is very dark and grim, evry different from the C.U. but closer to the 4ed Dark Champions game. i just propose them to define the game world as they would like to have it and they came with the idea that shining oufits were out of topic.

Originally posted by Hermit

I can see costumes becoming a sort of 'nod of respect' to the law.

considering that the PCs are non-citizens, hunted by police or members of secret US Army cells ... err the nod-to-the-law thing ... ya see ...

judging their choice as "SILLY" is maybe a bit harsh. people (and especially gamers) have got very different tastes.

Secondly; i'm preparing for these same players a supervillain campaign in the Champions Universe (first time i will really use the setting BTW). they're already designing their outfits for it. (i must see the first drafts tomorrow night)

We have a variety of outfits in the campaign I'm in.

• * Bodysuit with police jacket (Hi tech police officer)
    * Usual costume with cape
    * Usual costume without cape
    * Tuxedo
    * Fancy but ordinary appearing clothes
    * Armored costume
    * costume that's Armor
    * Hi-tech Powered Armor
    * robes

I think I got them all but I feel like I forgot some.

Eh, it varies.

In the campaign I'm currently playing in, with Cyragnome as GM... he's running Freedom City from Mutants & Masterminds with the Champions rules... it's actually kinda fun, since I don't own Freedom City and it's all new to me, unlike most Champions materials.

We have:

a billionaire martial artist type, who wears body armor;

a street-smart martial artist / gadgeteer who wears body armor;

a woman with ice powers, with skintight blue costume (and in an interesting stroke, a trade of a Secret Id for a Public ID and an endorsement contract with... an Iced Tea company, I think);

a female Thor-type who has inherent weather powers, but can also change into a brick-form Valkyrie, who recently received a 'spear and magic helmet';

and then we have my character.

He's a street-level private detective, who doesn't particularly like supers nonsense, of Indian heritage by way of Britain...

... who recently found he can die and be reborn (up to 3 times a day, although he doesn't know that fact yet...), with a VPP to represent gaining a different set of powers each time. I call him "Reincarnation Man" as a tag (NOT a codename!), sort-of a combination of the Resurrection Man from DC, and Croyd Crenson - the Sleeper from Wild Cards.

Technically, he can get an 'ectoplasmic' costume with each change, but I haven't done much with that effect.

I envisioned it as basically getting powers at random, although in practice i write up a set I'd like to use, and then let the GM or dice roll choose.

But long story short, I envisioned him without a set costume, the standard trench-coat plainclothes detective type most of the time.

Sometimes costumes make sense. Sometimes, not so much. Depends on the campaign.

judging their choice as "SILLY" is maybe a bit harsh. people (and especially gamers) have got very different tastes.

i'm not questioning their taste in clothing--i run "jamie justice" for pete's sake--what i'm questioning is the lack of insight expressed by some gamers (btw--your group is an example of the exact opposite of what i'm talking about--there's an actual in game rationale for their choice of 'non-traditional' dress....)

what i'm whining about is the fact that some gamers don't see that the idea of running around in spandex is uncool because it's reflective of the real world where we live, not the fictional world in which the characters exist....

....in super-hero worlds super-heroes dress like super-heroes--it's normal and expected, and for a hero not to do so doesn't make him or her hip or cool, it makes them weird--'cool' heroes have 'cool' looking or functioning costumes, or at least stylish forms of dress that are evocative of who the hero or heroine is--it just looks weird to us because nobody (nobody outside of an anime, gaming or comic convention, at least) does things like that where we live....

think of the scene from the movie "mystery men," where the "blue rajah," and "mr furious" are chiding "the disco boys" gang for kicking their asses using regular tire chains instead of the more thematically correct GOLD tire chains (DISCO boys--get it?)

....it's funny and ironic to us watching the movie, but a reasonable critiscism from the point of view of the characters. the same principles applies to supers that act like supers but don't want to look like supers....

...and yet these same gamers that refuse to have their characters dress like supers cause spandex costumes are 'lame' would probaly run a fantasy character that looked like they were caught in an explosion at a renaissance festival, and not even bat an eyelash....

boogles my mind, anyway....

Costumes. Well "St Barbara" actually has three costumes that she wears depending on the time of year (and temperature). The one she wears most often is a royal blue gymnastic leotard with multi-coloured colour bursts (meant to represent exploding skyrockets) on it, plus ankle length black boots and a pair of ski type goggles. The outfit is the same as that worn by Olympic gymnasts. She also has her "high summer" costume which is similar except that it looks something like the two piece suits that people use to do aerobics in. In winter she throws a pair of "trackie dacks" (tracksuit pants) and a warm cotton top (still with the multi-coloured skyrocket bursts) over the top of her summer outfit. THe first two costumes have that "sprayed on" tightness that adds to her impact (and hopefully distracts people from her abilities), the third one is worn purely to keep warm.

...and yet these same gamers that refuse to have their characters dress like supers cause spandex costumes are 'lame' would probaly run a fantasy character that looked like they were caught in an explosion at a renaissance festival, and not even bat an eyelash....

i should also probaly qualify my statement for the sake accuracy--i don't think that all super-heroes should wear spandex!--i DO think that a super-hero should be readily identifiable by their form of dress....

whether you are wearing spandex tights or leather body armor, people should be able to look at you and immediately say, 'SUPER ON DECK!!"--eventually they should be able to look at you and say, "LOOK--IT'S CAPT. ONION!!"

also--this dress code is for SUPER-HEROES and not all people-with-powers--not everyone differentiates between the two types of characters, but i do....

....if your group wants to play a bunch of stylisly dressed, tragically hip, genetically altered, teen-fashion models-fighting-to-protect-a-world-that-hates-and-fears-them (because they don't eat), and you want to dress in the latest fashions, go for it!!--have fun!!--do, you!!

but if you're a super-hero, stand up, stand tall, try not to stand on your cape....!

Guest WhammeWhamme

Costumes, eh...

Well, for straight up supers I've gone with:

-A cross between plate and a powersuit (for defense)

-Costume? I don't need no costume ('cause I have a hefty DF...)

-Blue, skintight (no cape etc. 'cause it'd get disintegrated by his powers), shockingly badly defined.

-see previous (except there was no justification...)

In my campaign, the heroes' costumes are:

- dragon-scale armored suit, with utility bandolier.

- armor formed from shadows.

- 2 x body stocking style body armor (slightly more realistic bulletproof spandex).

- pseudo-viking chainmail, helm (all just for show), and a cape (Thorium, our Norse Storm Hammer Guy).

- fire (I'm not sure if Fire Angel has a costume in his angelic form).

- Greek chlamys (Spartan cloak), winged sandals, mirror shield.

That last one, Aegis, certainly has the most memorable costume. I'd given the character to my friend Mike who was in town, and had briefly described him.

First time Mike has Aegis fly up above one of the other characters, he describes his costume: cloak, sandals, shield. That's it.

Force and Dragon Lady spent much time throughout the rest of the adventure trying to convince Aegis to remain groundborne. Force even tried to convince Aegis of the usefulness of pants. Didn't work - Aegis is nigh invulnerable.

When they formed a superhero group, Dragon Lady insisted everyone had to wear something pants-like. Of course, Mike hasn't visited to run Aegis since, so I've kept them guessing whether Aegis really has anything on underneath that cloak...

Depends

I've done plenty of heroes AND villains that wear standard spandex (don't do many capes, not because I don't like them but because I can't draw them well). I've done a lot of "sprayed on body armor" type costumes. But many of my characters wear non-standard superhero garb because of their origins.

Maccabeus, a modern Sampson, wears a tunic, sandals, and leather belt -- generally looks as if he stepped out of a Bible story.

The Crimson Cavalier looks as if he just stepped off the lot of a historical epic (he did) except his doublet and hose are armored and his cape enables him to glide.

Seneschal, a mystical hero, wears flowing medieval type robes and carries a staff which is his badge of office.

Members of a villain group, the Mythanthropes, wear Greco-Roman rainment as befits their pseudomythological origins.

The Greene Lady, a villain who animates plants to do her bidding and controls animals, wears a covering of fresh leaves that preserves her modesty without concealing her figure.

The Masked Mewler, based on any number of low-powered movie serial heroes, wears a fedora and business suit along with a mask. Cape optional.

Some characters go adventuring in their natural skins. Bandog, a canine brick villain, wears only a collar. Cygnet, an aquatic heroine, produces an algae covering that serves her as a costume whenever she's exposed to excessive moisture. Flashbat, another animal-based character, wears only a loincloth (modesty and the Comics Code).

My character costumes... That's really depended on the character and the genre. For example here are some of my '4 color' campaign characters. Thunderstar (veteran energy projecter and team leader) wears a black white and gold full bodysuit with gold mirrored goggles. Menace (psionic with a demonic appearance) wears a short black dress-type bodysuit with cutouts for her wings. Other 4-color characters like Earthshock (earth elemental brick) and Sentaiga (biomechanically armored and augmented martial artist) don't really have costumes, since their super forms 'form over' their clothes so Earthshock looks like a 12 ft tall rock-man with veins of glowing magma and Sentaiga sort of looks like a Japanese live-action superhero . One thing about my 4-color charas, most have some form of Instant Change/Transformation ability. Not really sure why, but it's just happened that way.

Characters that were more DarkChampions wore closer to real clothes. Nightshade (a Robin Hood-esque thief) wears a black bodysuit with grip-pads (Clinging) and a tricked-out facemask. The Junk Man (gadgeteer vigilante) was the most practical in real world terms: Football and BMX pads and kevlar and a hard helmet. He looked like a Road Warrior extra. :)

And then there was Cheetah Saint Creon (speedster martial artist) from a campaign based on the anime series Saint Seiya. Like the characters in that show he had a bodysuit/armor combination with more of a superhero look.

As far as things like capes go, I don't think I've ever created a character who wears a cape in battle, but Creon would when addressing dignitaries and deities.

I don't think I care for it too much when someone builds and plays a character that doesn't fit into the genre and particularly won't wear a costume. That's just being a lazy player in my book. At least make an effort!

For the current character I play these days, Blazing Arrow, he looks a lot like the Native American who sheds a tear in that old anti-pollution commercial, Indian-style buckskin, usually a pouch or three (which often have the dead animals he's carrying to eat later), sometimes a bow strapped on with a filled quiver (though not too often really, moreso when he's prepped for combat or out hunting), and a feather somewhere. He is not opposed to going out of costume, but he ALWAYS has a feather somewhere at least subtly visible, even if inappropriate. It's his way of expressing his heritage (which frankly he doesn't understand).

Urban Druid was much simpler, a cape and cowl that was chameleon-like in urban backgrounds (blending with concrete, glass, steel, etc.), some leather armor underneath.

In the campaign I GM the players' approaches:

- Sammy the Slime - he's a shapeshifter; no costume, just whatever form, although if he's in human form he normally just wears "regular" casual clothing (sometimes he looks like Elvis, too, but not in combat)

- Troll/Dr. Sihn (his Troll identity is dropping as he just had an equivalent of a radiation accident) - Looks like a troll with tattered clothing in that form, in human form often seen with a lab coat or business suit. When adventuring he doesn't use any sort of costume typically.

- Spectrum - see lemming's post

- Rodin/Hamlet Laughton - a multiform character, in Laughton/human form (which is not his base form, he just had his radiation accident and discovered he is really an alien) normally with a trenchcoat and fedora and suit, in stone form he looks like a statue or stone object of any sort, other forms are similarly variable but look like the material they appear as; in his base/alien form he's a bunch of beautiful entrancing colorful glowing lights

- Neumann - fairly discombobulated robot with a red eye and another, different, larger eye, has wires that he releases that sort of flop all over, he looks sort of like a screwed up old=style (1950s) robot