UAA Clarification

Fryguy

I have a villain who can teleport things. The other day I attempted to t-port a hero out of his power armor (it is written up as a vehicle). The player does have t-port in a MP but it was not active at the time and he has no power def. His opinion is that even though the t-port was not an active slot he still had the def to t-port UAA (he was correct that I took having t-port as a defense). However, I said that he needed to have an ACTIVE t-port to keep from being moved or if he was the one (& not the vehicle) who had t-port then I could see his point. His MP base was already used in Flight and Force Field.

Here is the specific write up:

(Teleportation 5" Indirect (+1/2), Usable Against Others (+1) defense is power defense, having T-port powers, AP 2x (+1).

What do y'all think?

Re: UAA Clarification

Personally, I'd consider it a functional defense if he possesses it and it's just not active. For UAA attacks my read is that it's usually just having a given power set that makes the defending character immune, rather than having to sort of parry them with an action. (I would require that a VPP actually have points already allocated to the required defensive power at the time of the attack rather than just potentially being able to switch to it, though.)

(I would require that a VPP actually have points already allocated to the required defensive power at the time of the attack rather than just potentially being able to switch to it, though.)

That was my point too. I don't believe it's a parry either but since it was the vehicle that had the defense and not him I ruled against him on both counts.

That was my point too. I don't believe it's a parry either but since it was the vehicle that had the defense and not him I ruled against him on both counts.

If a vehicle provides Life Support: Self Contained Breathing than NND gas attacks can't effect the passengers (at least ones initiated from the outside), and a vehicle's PD and ED help protect the occupants, so why wouldn't the vehicle having Teleport protect the character? If simply having Teleport in a multipower satifies the defense requirement why doesn't the vehicles multipower count? The defenses for UAA Powers tend to be all or nothing just like NND attacks, and if a vehicle can provide NND defenses than why not UAA? If the character had Teleport built in a Focus would you allow a UAA Teleport to move him leaving his Focus behind?

If a vehicle provides Life Support: Self Contained Breathing than NND gas attacks can't effect the passengers (at least ones initiated from the outside)' date=' and a vehicle's PD and ED help protect the occupants, so why wouldn't the vehicle having Teleport protect the character? If simply having Teleport in a multipower satifies the defense requirement why doesn't the vehicles multipower count? The defenses for UAA Powers tend to be all or nothing just like NND attacks, and if a vehicle can provide NND defenses than why not UAA? If the character had Teleport built in a Focus would you allow a UAA Teleport to move him leaving his Focus behind?[/quote']

Since the teleport was in a Multipower but was not the active slot, I tend to think it would not work as a defense against the UAA teleport. IOW, just having the potential to use the power, at least IMO, doesn't provide the defense. It needs to be actively available.

Say a mage has a Multipower of spells, and one of his spells is Life Support (no need to breathe). However, he doesn't have that spell running when he is hit with a sleep gas attack. Does it still protect him against the gas? I think not. Doesn't matter to me if the Multipower is inherent, or on a focus, or whatever.

Frankly, that's one of the downsides to a Multipower. You save a bunch of points, but you don't get something for nothing.

Since the teleport was in a Multipower but was not the active slot, I tend to think it would not work as a defense against the UAA teleport. IOW, just having the potential to use the power, at least IMO, doesn't provide the defense. It needs to be actively available.

Say a mage has a Multipower of spells, and one of his spells is Life Support (no need to breathe). However, he doesn't have that spell running when he is hit with a sleep gas attack. Does it still protect him against the gas?
I think not. Doesn't matter to me if the Multipower is inherent, or on a focus, or whatever.

Frankly, that's one of the downsides to a Multipower. You save a bunch of points, but you don't get something for nothing.

That is what I thought too. If a vehicle has "shields" (ie Force Field or Force Wall) but the MP slot is not active...say because the power is currently distributed to hyper-drive (FTL Flight, etc) then any attack will only get the defense of the vehicles Armor and DEF but not "shields."

The real question is, how did the Teleport power hit him? Unless the attacking Teleport power has indirect, you couldn't hit the target inside. That would be my take. If the Attacking Teleport power has the indirect advantage, then I would allow you to target the driver, and the driver would have to have the Teleport power, not the vehicle.